• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

whats your bad habits?? whats do u plan to do instead??

jtamm1988

Smash Rookie
i made this so all of us falcon mainers could discuss some bad habits were making while playing and the other options we can make instead, or what we kmow we need 2 do.

i hope that we will be able to learn from each other, and put falcon back on the map!!

my bad habits are
some times ill recover and attack head on with raptor booster in the air after ihave been sent off the stage
or
if i missed a finishing attack after i chased an emey off stage ill raptor booster back on the staeg and try to attack them before they can recooperate on stage and he'll sheild or i will hit him, but then he'll hit me after due to low hitstun or the landing lag.

and i since raptor booster only does 7 percent i jus need to use up b to the ledge and try and play smarter and not in a rush or too aggesive.

Tenki

Smash Hero
me:
1 - I try to dash and shield when I'm too close to the opponents.
2 - I try to shield grab from a dash.
3 - I reverse Falcon Punch too much (omg WOP RFP is nice to throw in once in a while lol) and end up doing accidental raptorboosts offstage.
4 - Press A too many times while jabbing and end up doing infinite jab instead of cancelling it ;_;

answers:
1- Walk. Be more 'patient' when you're close so you can shield or disrupt with tilts during their lagtime.
2- Dashgrab/pivot grab instead if you're going for grabs, or do a different attack OoS
3- Save Falcon Punch/Reverse Falcon Punch for the occasional mindgame-kill. Lessens chances for a bad input and keeps you unpredictable.
4- Be more 'patient' and don't buttonmash.

hehe this reminds me of the Falcon Playstyle Survey.

jtamm1988

Smash Rookie
me:
1 - I try to dash and shield when I'm too close to the opponents.
2 - I try to shield grab from a dash.
3 - I reverse Falcon Punch too much (omg WOP RFP is nice to throw in once in a while lol) and end up doing accidental raptorboosts offstage.
4 - Press A too many times while jabbing and end up doing infinite jab instead of cancelling it ;_;

answers:
1- Walk. Be more 'patient' when you're close so you can shield or disrupt with tilts during their lagtime.
2- Dashgrab/pivot grab instead if you're going for grabs, or do a different attack OoS
3- Save Falcon Punch/Reverse Falcon Punch for the occasional mindgame-kill. Lessens chances for a bad input and keeps you unpredictable.
4- Be more 'patient' and don't buttonmash.
hehe this reminds me of the Falcon Playstyle Survey.
i just learned about the jab from reading forums on this site, it comes in handy, im also tryin to make sure i dont go into the infinite punch and make sure i cancel my jabs

not really a habit YET but im working on it

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, you may not do jab cancels because you're still learning them, but I don't do it just because I button mash lol.

I'm more fast-paced/frantic with Sonic but I noticed that playing Falcon a bit slower, like Ike, really pays off alot.

If you combine Ike's dodge-baiting games with Falcon's moveset, you can get alot of hits consecutively (lol not consecutive 'combo' hits, but you should get what I mean)

jtamm1988

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you may not do jab cancels because you're still learning them, but I don't do it just because I button mash lol.

I'm more fast-paced/frantic with Sonic but I noticed that playing Falcon a bit slower, like Ike, really pays off alot.

If you combine Ike's dodge-baiting games with Falcon's moveset, you can get alot of hits consecutively (lol not consecutive 'combo' hits, but you should get what I mean)
isnt jab canceling when u jab then wait like a half a sec and jab again giving it that shine kind of interuption??

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The 2nd two on Tenki's list, and I DTilt too much and don't USmash nearly enough. And rolling/shielding when I should be spotdodging. Oh and too much UTilt against someone on a platform above me when I could be landing knees. Man I gotta get rid of these habits....

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
1. I always go for shield grabs. Even when I forget that their attack is still going, so I go to grab and just get hit.

jtamm1988

Smash Rookie
The 2nd two on Tenki's list, and I DTilt too much and don't USmash nearly enough. And rolling/shielding when I should be spotdodging. Oh and too much UTilt against someone on a platform above me when I could be landing knees. Man I gotta get rid of these habits....
those kinda sound like me especially the utilt, i need to get my knee in the game a lot more

jtamm1988

Smash Rookie
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186794
read this thread and no, winning without landing a knee with brawl falcon's normal and common
use it wrong will only result in losing the match
oh yea i have seen bad things happen after ppl tried the knee from ledge hopping and other but i like to be able to use all my moves but i want to be able to sweetspot more, becasue some videos i have seen ppl were able to use the knee very well

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Dthrowing and then trying to land a knee but always missing.

and always hopping off the stage to knee someone in the face even if i missed. Doing the knee is the best experience ever!

Iwan

Smash Ace
- I go into my infinite jab sometimes when i really, really didn't want too.
- I raptor boost instead of falcon diving, causing me to lose a stock that was 100 percent my fault.
- I dash "through" my opponent sometimes when going for a dash grab...so instead of me grabbing them I get punished.

Answers:
= Steady, slow button presses. Patience.
= Take my time when recovering, and make sure I'm hitting up....lol....
= Be aware of my spacing during an actual match. Once again...patience.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I forgot another one, which is thinking that I have a second jump still when I don't, so I die because I'm hitting the jump button instead of Falcon Diving.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I approach too much.
I need to play way more defensively.
This is a big one for me as well, the problem is my main matchups are against characters that have projectiles.

Another thing I do all the time is raptor boost to the edge trying to sweetspot it (too much falco). Suuuuper easy to gimp kill him just with a simple ledge hug.

There are also a couple moves I think I use too much like Ftilt (should be Dtilt), as well as moves I don't use enough, like Utilt and Dair.

Lately I've been noticing that I try and punish with moves that are too slow like Fsmash or Dsmash, another bad habit.

Trozz

Smash Ace
I use pivot-aerial falcon punches constantly. It's just so good... but people can just block it.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i tend to sheild grab too often, which doesn't help.
Shield then Dsmash, also no good many times over.
roll dodge when i could have spot dodged.
don't UpB mixup enough.
(im just recently picking up Falcon though)

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Dash away from your opponent then quickly hit back and then grab.
Aha! And Falcon's is good, in an uncanny way?
That's cool. I need to work on that. Honestly, I'm making my grab livings off shield grabs mostly. I think it's because most of my friends have terrible spacing issues though.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Aha! And Falcon's is good, in an uncanny way?
That's cool. I need to work on that. Honestly, I'm making my grab livings off shield grabs mostly. I think it's because most of my friends have terrible spacing issues though.
Ah, yeah. I was behind a Ganondorf and ran away+ pivot grabbed his Dsmash as his leg was extended without being in his attackbox range.

that's gotta mean something o_O;

So yeah, think of a pivot grab as a 'dodge grab'. Like a counter if someone's trying to dash grab/dash attack/land an aerial on you.

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
1 I Roll Too Much
2 I Use Downb At Low Percentages.
3 I Dont Usmash At All
4 I Raptor Boost With Poor Spacing.
5 I Run All Over The Place And Cant Hit My Opponent

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Or how about using the double jump too early becuase you want to get into the air faster.
Yeah and heres a similar one: trying to dashing jump off the stage for a kill but pressing jump too late so I run off stage first, making it use my second jump and often causing a suicide if I don't notice it (it makes a different sound than the regular jump).

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
1 I Roll Too Much
2 I Use Downb At Low Percentages.
3 I Dont Usmash At All
4 I Raptor Boost With Poor Spacing.
5 I Run All Over The Place And Cant Hit My Opponent
Number 2 is big one for me as well actually. I mean, I usually hit my opponent, but it results in me getting hit as well. It's just not smart.

CriticalToast

Smash Rookie
1. Raptor Boost on the ground too much.
2. Go for the knee way too often.
3. Spam "SHOW ME YA MOVES!" when I shouldn't. >_>
4. Use Falcon Punch as an edgeguard when I have much better options.
5. Overestimate Raptor Boost's range (when recovering).
6. Don't jab-grab as often as I should. Instead, I usually jab-jab-dtilt.

Roager

Smash Ace
Dude, you're me. Holy ****.
But grounded raptor boosts are useful.

As for fixes, 1+2 are just reteaching habits, forcing your hands differently than you'd want to. Even 3's like that. For 4: As an edgeguard, if I'm not using PUNCH, I usually run off, no jump, and knee them. It works really well if they're trying to sweetspot. For 5, there's not much you can do except try to fall a little more, and get closer to the edge. Of course, if they jump out after you, in the hopes of gimping, then raptor boost is your best friend.

Nikwadtkhil

Smash Cadet
over knee and grab too much

have been trying fix for ages but its a habit i can't stop (OHHh knee to the face and cue lightning!)

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
over knee and grab too much

have been trying fix for ages but its a habit i can't stop (OHHh knee to the face and cue lightning!)
SHOW ME YA MOVES IS THE GREATEST TAUNT EVER.not such a bad habbit
the knee is great,sometimes i always do it,i just want to see someone feel the justice of falcon

EarthLord_CJ

Smash Cadet
Normally, I just end up making simple mistakes, such as the ones that are described in here.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188459

But, similar to what Iwan said on the first page, I tend be impatient with my recoveries and attempts at finishing opponents, or I'm just rash in the basic forms of gameplay. >_<
And I can be quite predictable too.

Answers: Well, fo the first part of my bad habits, they can easily be absolved by reading through the topic in my link.

For the second part, I just need to try and pace (and space, lol) myself better, and be more careful of my button presses, lessen my predictability, and be always alert to reading the opponents strategies.

Foshy

Smash Apprentice
6. Don't jab-grab as often as I should. Instead, I usually jab-jab-dtilt.
We got the same problems.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
I almost always after a dthrow try to do a Knee but its not possible to get one after a dthrow. Answer: Do a Nair instead.

I sometime run around and try to get a Knee but that never works or is possible. Answer: Only do the Knee when your opponent is on a platform, in the air, when you are holding the ledge and when they are outside of the arena.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
I almost always after a dthrow try to do a Knee but its not possible to get one after a dthrow. Answer: Do a Nair instead.

I sometime run around and try to get a Knee but that never works or is possible. Answer: Only do the Knee when your opponent is on a platform, in the air, when you are holding the ledge and when they are outside of the arena.
you can also do dthrow>uair,but nair works

Top Bottom