• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the point of HUGE Stages?

Nickelbacker

Smash Cadet
Alright, we all know Sakurai is prone to adding stupid ideas on smash games (tripping, broken characters, etc.), but the addition of ridiculously large stages is unacceptable. Back in the days of Melee, temple was a fun stage because it was more fast paced, but why the heck would they bring it back to brawl? The games drag on FOREVER. To make matters worse, there is yet, ANOTHER unneedingly huge map as well- New Pork City, and this time, it's even bigger! Seriously, if no one wants to play in an abnormally huge stage, then what's the point of making one? If anything, Pokefloats, Fourside or others would have been superior to Temple. I say no more huge stages in the next smash game!

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
4 player FFAs with all items on high pretty much mandates a large stage if you want to live above 50%...

I do admit, though, Temple and NPC are boring as crap.

UberMario

Smash Master
Having a large amount of big stages isn't new to Brawl. For example:

64:
-Yoshi's Island
-Sector Z

Melee:
-Brinstar Depths
-Fourside
-Temple
-Corneria
-Poke Floats
-Icicle Mountain
-Big Blue (the platforms can spread out so far that a person on a high platform simply needs to stand still to be out of range)

Brawl:
-75m
-New Pork City
-Hanenbow
-Rumble Falls
-Bridge of Eldin
-Mario Bros

They're just for casual play, bob-omb fests are more fun when you can survive longer. They should stay, as Melee, and especially Brawl's, stage rosters were designed with variety in mind, showing new and innovative [though not necessarily practical] ways of using the game engine.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yo man, Temple is a fun stage.

And FFA, med items, all stages MMs are too good. Counter picking summit, rumble falls, and Green Hill Zone all daaay.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
To bring unity by having everyone hate the same thing.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Temple is very fun.....

until someone decides to run away.

Kinda makes me wonder why he still put in NPC knowing that matches there can and will lead to excessive amounts of run away...

Xyless

Smash Master
Temple is a fun stage, though far moreso in Melee.

NPC is very visually impressive, and for a large stage, is very well thought out in terms of exit points and different places to go. However, it's for show, and not for competition.

soif

Smash Rookie
One of the worst things is the amount it zooms out. To the person who mentioned all stage MMs, surely you don't play on NPC? D:

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
That stages are horrible. Sakurai added them thinking about 4 players, free for all matches. In competitive brawl they aren´t viable at all.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
What's the problem with them?
You guys should stop seeing Brawl as a full-comtetition srsbsns and play with it once in a while. :awesome:

Life

Smash Hero
NPC/Temple et. al. aren't designed to be played to win, but for fun. They're the stages with the greatest amount of variety in their terrain, so you get more replay value (as a casual) out of large stages than you do small ones. (Although large+small>lots of large stages, which is why we have Smashville and Lylat to go with our Temple and NPC.)

Remember, casuals don't run away.

Nickelbacker

Smash Cadet
Well all I can honestly say is if Sakurai uses abnormally huge stages in the next smash game, at least ban them from being used in Wi-fi. I can't even stay in Basic Brawl because of those huge stages >:(

Nickelbacker

Smash Cadet
I guess I can't really complain about that seeing it is a party game. Oh well, I guess I can live with huge stages, but they do look pretty cool visual-wise...

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
Big Stages aren't that bad; they make four player battles fun. But it's when you get levels like NPC that are terrible and do Big Stages incorrectly. That and 75m; the latter is terrible for brawls and better for dodging practice.

\/aarsivius

Smash Cadet
Having a large amount of big stages isn't new to Brawl. For example:

64:
-Yoshi's Island
-Sector Z

Melee:
-Brinstar Depths
-Fourside
-Temple
-Corneria
-Poke Floats
-Icicle Mountain
-Big Blue (the platforms can spread out so far that a person on a high platform simply needs to stand still to be out of range)

Brawl:
-75m
-New Pork City
-Hanenbow
-Rumble Falls
-Bridge of Eldin
-Mario Bros
Yes, but nearly all of them are banned in their respective game tournaments.

I agree with thread creator, what was Sakurai thinking?

Also, on a slightly off-topic note, pratfalls are quite rare, and add to the fun.

Top Bottom