• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats the best playstyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
Me and my brother were having an argument about marth, he says its more important to be really technical with marth so you can pull off the ken combo but i prefer to put more emphasis on mindgames when i play because usually mindgames beats technical skill. what do you guys think?

Thunderbolt

Smash Journeyman
Its basically preference. Some people might say one is better than the other. I don't don't if one is acually better than the other since both are really important.

It doesn't hurt to be a technical Marth or a Marth with great Mindgames.

:]

Adi

Smash Lord
Technical skills open up the door to utilize mindgames while mindgames create the opening to utilize technical skills. Neither can exist without the other and neither is more important than the other.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Me and my brother were having an argument about marth, he says its more important to be really technical with marth so you can pull off the ken combo but i prefer to put more emphasis on mindgames when i play because usually mindgames beats technical skill. what do you guys think?
well, first off, you need to ask yourself. what would the east coast do?

then, you need to do that.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Anyone who considers technical skills secondary or unnecessary obviously isn't playing (and probably will never play) on a very high level. Mindgames come with lots of experience and playing a variety of players; it's not possible to just focus on mindgames and reach one's best. Technical skills, on the other hand, just take a lot of practice. I know a lot of players with good mindgames, but since they don't have (much) technical skill, they are easily beat them. In order to be great you must have technical skill and mindgames; they go hand in hand.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
yeah like super smasher said

having good mind games almost assumes good technical skill otheriwse they wouldnt be that great

like if you coulndt wave dash or DD with marth it would take away from your mind game option, just like if you couldnt lcancel properly, then you couldnt shuffle empty arials etc.

I'd say both are important

unfortunately i have better technical skills then mindgames with is bad so im working on that

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Mindgrains are overrated, whats the point when a F-smash can take care of everything your opponent throws at you? Then again F-smash = mindgame the more you F-smash the better your mindgames. Look at Azen.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Mindgrains are overrated, whats the point when a F-smash can take care of everything your opponent throws at you? Then again F-smash = mindgame the more you F-smash the better your mindgames. Look at Azen.
lol
Relying too much on your F-smash will get you shield grabbed and *****, IMHO.

I recommend emphasis on mindgames over technical skill, after your technical skill is on par with the competition in your area.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Well I say that I put that little exta weight into technical skill instead of mindgames. Both are very important and if you devlop one more than the other you should still be fine to a certain extent. How much you develop each should be based on your style of play. I say that if your going to play defensive mingames are more important, but since I play a more agressive Marth I need more technical skill than my opponent. I need to make sure I utilize every opportunity I have to combo my opponent and I may even need to force oppenings every now and then. However I wouldn't need to force oppenings if I was on the defense, I would just need to find them in my opponent's offense, which is where mingames would come in handy.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
yeah like super smasher said

having good mind games almost assumes good technical skill otheriwse they wouldnt be that great

like if you coulndt wave dash or DD with marth it would take away from your mind game option, just like if you couldnt lcancel properly, then you couldnt shuffle empty arials etc.

I'd say both are important

unfortunately i have better technical skills then mindgames with is bad so im working on that
thats stupid, you can't be really good at both, you have to specialize in one to maximize your potential, if you try to do both you'll end up not being very good at either.

Reese

Smash Journeyman
You need to have balance between mindgames and techskill to be successfull in melee. Specializing on either mindgames or techskill alone is not a very good idea.
As for the best style, there isn't one. Everyone has a unique playstyle. Its something you create on your own, based on your own experience and techskill.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I specialized completely in mindgames from day 1. My tech skill improved drastically to keep up with the demands of my mindgames and from the massive tournament experience I've been getting over the past year. You don't need to focus on tech skill. It will come with time, as long as you play.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
For some reason, I have a feeling that Cra$hman wasn't very serious when making this thread heh.

Anyways, mindgames > tech skill, especially with a character like marth. Marth can't overwhelm the opponent with pure tech skill like falco and fox. He has to pick and choose when he attacks which stems from mindgames. Falco and fox can beat decent opponents just by tech skill alone. Even then, I wouldn't say tech skill is more important than mindgames for the space animals.

For top tier play, you really need a combination of both. However, what separates top tier players from high tier players is superior mindgames. Anybody can really be good with tech skill but less with mindgames.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
For some reason, I have a feeling that Cra$hman wasn't very serious when making this thread heh.

Anyways, mindgames > tech skill, especially with a character like marth. Marth can't overwhelm the opponent with pure tech skill like falco and fox. He has to pick and choose when he attacks which stems from mindgames. Falco and fox can beat decent opponents just by tech skill alone. Even then, I wouldn't say tech skill is more important than mindgames for the space animals.

For top tier play, you really need a combination of both. However, what separates top tier players from high tier players is superior mindgames. Anybody can really be good with tech skill but less with mindgames.
i agree-- it's definitely character specific, but i think there is a baseline level of tech skill that is necessary to execute "superior mindgames.

AS Money

Smash Lord
oh come on this thread is very important

everyone knows the best play style is forward.

yes forward fsmash,fair,ftilt. that is all

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
oh come on this thread is very important

everyone knows the best play style is forward.

yes forward fsmash,fair,ftilt. that is all
We should condense that list even more so it is only "F-smash". The F-smash migraine is the most superior mindgrain in existance. If you find yourself doing something other then F-smashing constantly your not playing Marth properly.

zxcZ

Smash Cadet
I just stick to my F-smash, over B, Fair, Bair, B, Pivoting and Grabs. I don't really notice if its mind games or technical, I just try to win.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Anyways, mindgames > tech skill, especially with a character like marth. Marth can't overwhelm the opponent with pure tech skill like falco and fox. He has to pick and choose when he attacks which stems from mindgames.
Since tech skill is required to execute mindgames I think that tech skill is more important and should be learned first. After you've got the tech skill then and only then you should work on your mindgames. If you can't use your mindgames because of limited tech skill then you might as well have no mindgames. I say tech skill is the way to start advanced play and mindgames is the icing on the cake.

Mmmn Cake. ^_^

AS Money

Smash Lord
We should condense that list even more so it is only "F-smash". The F-smash migraine is the most superior mindgrain in existance. If you find yourself doing something other then F-smashing constantly your not playing Marth properly.
true story lota heart behind it

to modify a quote

"any time spent not F-smashing is time better spent F-smashing"

FrostByte

Smash Lord
What B-will and Cactuar are saying is that Marth's game is built on a more mental aspect than the other higher tier characters; Fox, Falco, **** and Dsmash. For example, tech chasing is much more important to Marth than it is to say, Falco.

He doesn't have as much combo potential as Falco, as much killing potential as Fox or as much **** potentail as Sheik, so he has to use what he excels at. Using his range efficiently. This is much more strenuous than dishing out combos because you have to predict where your opponent will move, get in the position a sword-length (or grab-length) away and execute your attack.

While playing as Marth, I get to know my opponent a whole lot better. There's a lot more things I have to look out for.

Luminitrium

Smash Cadet
crashman once again proves smashboards is too easy to troll..lol.
...Excuse me?

What B-will and Cactuar are saying is that Marth's game is built on a more mental aspect than the other higher tier characters; Fox, Falco, **** and Dsmash. For example, tech chasing is much more important to Marth than it is to say, Falco.

He doesn't have as much combo potential as Falco, as much killing potential as Fox or as much **** potentail as Sheik, so he has to use what he excels at. Using his range efficiently. This is much more strenuous than dishing out combos because you have to predict where your opponent will move, get in the position a sword-length (or grab-length) away and execute your attack.

While playing as Marth, I get to know my opponent a whole lot better. There's a lot more things I have to look out for.
I quote thee in agreement.

offcell

Smash Apprentice
'playing style' is just ridiculous. I think people have to adjust their styles when they face different opponents. You can't be too consistent or they'll figure you out son!

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why you are separating them. Mindgames are more important, but just being able to do a smash attack is a technical skill. Technical skill is your ability to execute moves and combos, and your ability to maneuver on the battlefield. With no technical skill, you can't fight. It ranges from the simplest of moves to advanced techs. Mindgames (people argue over the definition) is just predicting your opponent / getting them to do something to make them vulnerable. If you can't do this at all, you'll never hit your opponent. He'll just block or dodge everything you do. Mindgames are definitely more important to emphasize. I've seen plenty of technical masters get ***** by players who haven't bothered learning advanced techs, just because they are good at assessing and predicting their opponent. But you can't just learn one and ignore the other. That's just plain stupid.

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
Technical skills open up the door to utilize mindgames while mindgames create the opening to utilize technical skills. Neither can exist without the other and neither is more important than the other.
This statement really should have settled the debate a long time ago. If a person only relies on tech skills or mindgames, there would be almost no use for the other skill. They can't operate without the other.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think that all of us know that it's important to learn both, but the question here is what proportion would best suit our playstyle, character, opponent, ect and what takes priority over the other when learning. Trying to master both is smart. Trying to master both at the same time is not. That is why we have disscussions about which is more important at different levels of play. As you get tech skill down, which most of us have, mindgames become more important than before. Thus, we often judge that they're more important. I think that the basics should be the most important aspect of play and that mingames is just a way to improve yourself after you've mastered the basics. Whenever I'm in a rut, I go back to check my L-Canceling, Spacing , Reaction speed, to see if I'd just been slacking. I don't think any of us would even think of some of our mindgames if we hadn't developed the techskill to notice our potential.

Playstyle is just a general assesment of how you play the majority of the time. You may change your playstyle against certain people or characters, but in general you have a particular method of fighting that you use most of the time.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
for marth, mindgames will be needed a lot more than tech skill.

in general, mindgames has a bit more advantage over tech skill in my opinion.

personally, ive vs'd so many people who have outstanding tech skill, far more better than mine, but i just have a lot of experience playing different people and i beat them.

since more experience = better choices in mindgames.

personally, i have crappy tech skill compared to the league im in, but i just play smart, and which makes up for it.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
I stood up and said, "FOD!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goy98SDGTOo

well, you're friend is right, Ken Combo's do win the game for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIm00tNHZlg&mode=related&search=

however, with the right mind games, it sets you up for being technical.

Edit: the most important factor is the will to play the game and not give up. I've come to realized this once I got bored of the game. I already have the mind games and technical aspects of the game down however I lost the passion for it. My will to play had drop like no other which caused me to mess up my L-cancels and especially not care to think while playing. If you don't give up, even if you are done by 3 stocks, you can still win.

afgsouljah

Smash Rookie
dear god, why has this even taken 3 pages. this is the most redundant thread in the forum.

FIRST OF ALL - technical skills are the BASICS for playing pro, if you suck with technical skills, go lock yourself in a closet and find out what the hell is going on.

SECOND OF ALL - this is true for ANY VIDEO GAME / FIGHTER whatever you wish to call it. there is a limit to how good technical skills can be, ONCE YOU HAVE REACHED THAT POINT where every one of your opponents are masters of technical, then it is all up to the mind which has absolutely no limit, this is why competition always lives on. If mindgames and strategy did not have infinite posibilties, then you would just have a bunch of monkeys SHFFLing at tournys and drawing every game.

THEREFORE - all that you need to know from all this is simple. Technical skills are the fundamentals of competitive play, mindgames (or using ur head/strategy) are the higher level. BOTH ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, technical skills are the foundation for your pyramid of smash-bros. a*s-whooping. this is why Ken and the other pros are so great, they have the basics down 99% of the time, allowing their superior mind-game ability to thrive.

let me draw this out for anyone who doesnt understand :p

___| <<ken-level of play _________Figure 1.1 - Smash bros. pyramid of a*s-whooping
__| _ |
_| _ | _ | << mind-games (using your head/strategy)
| _ | _ | _ | <<<technical skills

no base, no pyramid. no mind-games - then u got urself a small and crappy pyramid.

This is true for all characters, all fighter games, all competitve anything. Eg. some people may argue that falco is a rushdown character, and thus his technical skills are more important. well you sir, are an idiot because if you were the greatest falco rush-downer but you are an idiot, then u can easily get guard-chaingrabbed or countered by a smarter opponent.

In conclusion, follow the pyramid for any competitve anything. conversation over. **** you guys made me write an essay on this......b*stards.........

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
dear god, why has this even taken 3 pages. this is the most redundant thread in the forum.

FIRST OF ALL - technical skills are the BASICS for playing pro, if you suck with technical skills, go lock yourself in a closet and find out what the hell is going on.

SECOND OF ALL - this is true for ANY VIDEO GAME / FIGHTER whatever you wish to call it. there is a limit to how good technical skills can be, ONCE YOU HAVE REACHED THAT POINT where every one of your opponents are masters of technical, then it is all up to the mind which has absolutely no limit, this is why competition always lives on. If mindgames and strategy did not have infinite posibilties, then you would just have a bunch of monkeys SHFFLing at tournys and drawing every game.

THEREFORE - all that you need to know from all this is simple. Technical skills are the fundamentals of competitive play, mindgames (or using ur head/strategy) are the higher level. BOTH ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, technical skills are the foundation for your pyramid of smash-bros. a*s-whooping. this is why Ken and the other pros are so great, they have the basics down 99% of the time, allowing their superior mind-game ability to thrive.

let me draw this out for anyone who doesnt understand :p

___| <<ken-level of play _________Figure 1.1 - Smash bros. pyramid of a*s-whooping
__| _ |
_| _ | _ | << mind-games (using your head/strategy)
| _ | _ | _ | <<<technical skills

no base, no pyramid. no mind-games - then u got urself a small and crappy pyramid.

This is true for all characters, all fighter games, all competitve anything. Eg. some people may argue that falco is a rushdown character, and thus his technical skills are more important. well you sir, are an idiot because if you were the greatest falco rush-downer but you are an idiot, then u can easily get guard-chaingrabbed or countered by a smarter opponent.

In conclusion, follow the pyramid for any competitve anything. conversation over. **** you guys made me write an essay on this......b*stards.........

couldn't say it better myself, I completely agree with you.

However there are some people who think that there aren't a Cap on things that you can always eventually get better. it's the debate on "working hard" vs " natural talent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom