• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Whatever happened to the Hero of Time?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That may be, but I could say the same thing about Ocarina of Time. I'm sure Link must've had nightmares about Redeads after he saw them.

I think the story of Link getting out of Termina is a shame that it hasnt been told yet. I think it would prove to be a very impressive story-line.

I mean, Link didnt just fall into a HOLE and land in Termina. He fell into a new demension! There is no way back the way he came in. So how did he get back to Hyrule, if ever?

I'll just assume that Link never came back from Termina. There really is no evidence proving he DID come back. In fact, they frequently tell us that he DIDNT come back.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Sheesh, talk about over analyzing.
Shush, don't interrupt Zelda theorists when we're theorizing.

I think the story of Link getting out of Termina is a shame that it hasnt been told yet. I think it would prove to be a very impressive story-line.

I mean, Link didnt just fall into a HOLE and land in Termina. He fell into a new demension! There is no way back the way he came in. So how did he get back to Hyrule, if ever?

I'll just assume that Link never came back from Termina. There really is no evidence proving he DID come back. In fact, they frequently tell us that he DIDNT come back.
It's been shown that people can travel to Termina with some form of ease. Link's done it, Skull Kid's done it, and the Happy Mask Salesman's done it. There may be others, but those are the confirmed ones. In fact, we SEE Skull Kid already in Hyrule at the start and we know from the backstory that Skull Kid used to hang out mainly in Termina since we know of the tale with the giants.

The beginning of MM is in Hyrule (the forest). The end of MM is in Hyrule (the forest).

keomani

Smash Rookie
:)

Um.....nice theories.....but can someone tell me a reasonably good timeline for the LoZ series cuz its kinda confusing....

I already know MM is almost right after OoT if not right after. And i get the sense TP is after the two....but where does WW and the others fit in.

And the releases for the games confuse the shiet out of me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Um.....nice theories.....but can someone tell me a reasonably good timeline for the LoZ series cuz its kinda confusing....

I already know MM is almost right after OoT if not right after. And i get the sense TP is after the two....but where does WW and the others fit in.

And the releases for the games confuse the shiet out of me.
After OOT, the world of Zelda splits into 2 timelines. TP is the future of one, and WW is the future of the other.

Link grows up in the world that eventually becomes TP, but in the WW world the hero of time vanished from existence after defeating Ganon

Of course that is all outdated speculation, I haven't been around the Zelda forum in at least a year

keomani

Smash Rookie
After OOT, the world of Zelda splits into 2 timelines. TP is the future of one, and WW is the future of the other.

Link grows up in the world that eventually becomes TP, but in the WW world the hero of time vanished from existence after defeating Ganon

Of course that is all outdated speculation, I haven't been around the Zelda forum in at least a year
Ooo .....I kinda got that but wanted to make sure........I thought there was some kinda big plot changer in older games

:phone:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
He's got it right. Basically, the world of Link as a child as he's sent back by Zelda turns into Majora's Mask and eventually Twilight Princess. The world without Link when he was an adult turns into Wind Waker. Here's what's confirmed.
............/WW-PH-ST
SS - OoT
............\MM - TP

There's also mini-arcs that are confirmed:

MC-FS-FSA
aLttP-LA
LoZ-AoL

I think that's it.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
How Link gets back to Hyrule: He's BFFs with Skull Kid at the end of MM. Skull Kid, who knows everything about the forest, takes him back.
About Link turning Kokiri Forest into Ordon: Why would Malon go into goat-herding if all she had ever done was cukoos, cattle, and horses?
OoT's timeline:
1) Beat the crap out of Dorf => Wind Waker timeline
2) Goes back in time and warns the royal family about the Dorf, gets Dorf locked up => TP timeline
3) looks around for Navi
4) goes to Termina
5) MM
6) All of the stuff that went on in Majora's Mask was because Majora couldn't handle his friends (the Giants) leaving him. Link realizes that sometimes he has to let friends go and hangs around in Termina for a while but then heads back to Hyrule
7) Learns somehow (Zelda? Sidequest?) that the Ocarina of Time can teleport the player across time and learns how to do so more accurately.
8) Does random good deeds in Hyrule using this newfound power. This is where timelines which have not seen the Hero of Time do his stuff (TP) know who the hero of time is. This is also how the Hero's Bow ends up in Death Mountain even though Link never went there in the TP timeline. Loses eye.
9) Goes waaaaay forewand in time for S&Gs, but along the WW timeline.
10) Sees that everything has been thoroughly ****ed up, but can't do anything about it because he's aged so much he's dust (he still ages across time).
11) Learns how to manipulate the wind to play the songs for him since he doesn't have lungs to play the Ocarina anymore and therefore travels back in time. This is where he learns how to make the howling stones.
12) Goes back in time and feels like crap. He's dust by the time of WW, so he can't do anything useful.
13) Decides to go forward on the TP timeline to see if he can help when it gets messed up.
14) sees that everything's getting twilight-ed, and therefore turns into a wolf like TP Link. Doesn't have the master sword or the light spirits to change him back, so he stays a wolf.
15) Sets up the howling stones so that TP Link can call OoT Link if he needs help.
16) Doesn't know where TP Link's going to come from, just knows that there has to be one (Zelda and the Dorf having a reunion).
17) TP Link finds him. OoT Link can't teach TP Link sword techniques as a wolf, so he grabs TP Link and puts on his Hero of Time mojo to take them to a place with overwhelming light so that the light changes him back to a Hylian (or what's left of one).
18) Teaches TP Link sword techniques
19) OoT :) b/c he helped save Hyrule. TP Link :) b/c he's got fancy flashy sword techniques.
20) $$$$

Questions?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Dude, I don't think my head has ever hurt this much after reading a post. I don't know where to start.

Ecks

Smash Lord
The hero of time got eaten by a magic like-like and was spit out half digested and looking like a stalfos. He then appears on TP like that. Questions?

*Yes, the like-like somehow gave him some sort of immortality.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
MM especially makes a good point, I think experiencing termina would definitely leave a few mental scars...or one could even consider termina to be a manifestation of link's mental baggage. if not, I wouldn't be surprised if link returned to hyrule with post traumatic stress disorder or something along those lines
I disagree. I feel the ability to go back to the beginning of the 3 days anytime u want makes this adventure kind funny for link. Its like o noes skull kid lol plays instrument u r fine. or o noes moon is about the crash plays instrument its all cool. I sort of felt like the world around MM mask was supper dark but link himself was just kinda chilling. I will say I would be somewhat freaked out when i was about to go to the bathroom and a hand comes out of the toilet, that might mess with u a little. Like for years to come u always look closely making sure no one is down there

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Link, the hero of time runs up and stabs Ganon in the face with the master sword. Ganon says "I'll get you yet, my pretties!" Zelda sends Link back in time. Link turns back into Young Link even though he should stay the same age if he's time traveling (otherwise, Marty McFly wouldn't have been able to go back and help his parents get together in Back to the Future and Back to the Future III definitely wouldn't have happened because McFly hadn't been born yet). So we learn that Link changes age relative to where he's going in time. If Link goes into the future, he ages, but if he goes back in time, he gets younger.
Navi goes "kthxbai" and ditches Link. Link goes "wtf" and runs after him/her. He searches all over and eventually goes into the Lost Woods. He gets lost and ends up in Termina still looking for Navi. As he's riding around, the Skull Kid takes him down and turns him into a Deku scrub. Link comes back and beats the crap out of everything as he plays the course of Majora's Mask. Link sees many dead people and helps heal their souls. He helps a Goron hero understand that he's done all he can and more, and now is the time to pass the baton to someone in the living world. He plays the Song of Healing and the Goron goes away. He soothes a Zora in a similar fashion. Link learns that Majora started going crazy when he couldn't get over his friends (the Four Giants) leaving him. The Ikana couldn't let go, Sharp and Flat couldn't let go, the Garo couldn't let go, and so on. A major theme in Majora's Mask is letting go and moving on. Link f***s up Majora in the moon. Termina's saved! Yay!
There's a celebration and the credits end with a drawing of the Skull Kid and Link holding hands accompanied by Tatl and Tael. Awwww...
Link learns that he has to let of Navi from MM, as was Nintended. Another major theme in MM is the keeping of promises. Link remembers his promise to Zelda that he'd come back and visit. Knowing that the Skull Kid knows everything about everything in the forest (how else would he guide around TP Link?), OT Link enlists his help in getting him home. Ergo, OT Link is not a stalfos because the Skull Kid wouldn't have let him get messed up. Remember that Skull thinks of Link as a friend.
So OT Link goes back to Hyrule through the Lost Woods. He wanders around and takes up a job as either a knight, seeing as how the potters have banned him for life and the lawn doesn't need THAT much mowing. OT Link runs around solving Hyrule's problems. Along the way, he somehow learns how to use the Ocarina to manipulate time beyond what he was capable of in MM. He can not only speed up and slow down time, now he can travel through it. He uses this time traveling ability to further help Hyrule.
Out of curiosity, he hops over to the Wind Waker timeline and goes waaaaaay into the future and sees that Hyrule's been flooded, but that his successor's there and is taking care of it. He's aged so much that he's turned to dust at this point, so he has to figure out some way to get back in time as an animate cloud of dust. He can't hold the ocarina as dust, but he can influence the wind by opening up holes in himself to let the wind blow more freely. He eventually gets really good at manipulating the wind and plays whatever song he needs to to get home. So now, OT Link is good at 1) Hitting things with swords, 2) solving block puzzles, 3) playing the Ocarina, and 4) messing with the wind to make songs.
He feels guilty about how much he skrewed up the WW timeline, especially since he's skrewed it up twice (once by letting the Dorf into the sacred realm and once more because he thinks he's responsible for the flooding of Hyrule. Therefore he decides he's going to go into the future in the TP timeline and see if he's too decayed by the time Hyrule needs him. He isn't, for the skeleton he's become is still anthropomorphic. However, when he wanders into the Twilight, he gets turned into a wolf, for he's still a Link. He's wandering around as a wolf unable to hold the ocarina, but then he remembers the mad skills he got in WW. He builds the howling stones so that TP Link can find him. He doesn't know about the tears for the light spirits, so he's stuck in the Twilight as a wolf. He goes and finds the Skull Kid and explains who he is and what's going on. Skull Kid agrees to help the dude with the pointy hat get through the Lost Woods. Being the Skull Kid, he decides to have a little fun with it and sends some marionettes at TP Link. TP Link's also an adult, and we know that Skull doesn't like adults.
TP Link goes around in wolf form and howls at the stones. These stones call OT Link to TP Link even with their diminished power. OT Link then puts on his Hero of Time mojo and teleports them to a place where there is overwhelming light. There is so much light, in fact, that OT Link turns back into a skeleton, though the transformation reverses as soon as he returns to the real world. OT Link teaches TP Link sword moves. TP Link f***s up Ganon, so he's happy. OT Link helped in his own way, so he's happy. Everyone's happy. Don't ask me how he gets back to die so he can show up underneath the tree in the courtyard of the castle or how he manages to teleport the two Links into the shiny training place.
Anyway, that's my theory. Are there any specific questions on anything which does not make sense?

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
Link, the hero of time runs up and stabs Ganon in the face with the master sword. Ganon says "I'll get you yet, my pretties!" Zelda sends Link back in time. Link turns back into Young Link even though he should stay the same age if he's time traveling (otherwise, Marty McFly wouldn't have been able to go back and help his parents get together in Back to the Future and Back to the Future III definitely wouldn't have happened because McFly hadn't been born yet). So we learn that Link changes age relative to where he's going in time. If Link goes into the future, he ages, but if he goes back in time, he gets younger.
Navi goes "kthxbai" and ditches Link. Link goes "wtf" and runs after him/her. He searches all over and eventually goes into the Lost Woods. He gets lost and ends up in Termina still looking for Navi. As he's riding around, the Skull Kid takes him down and turns him into a Deku scrub. Link comes back and beats the crap out of everything as he plays the course of Majora's Mask. Link sees many dead people and helps heal their souls. He helps a Goron hero understand that he's done all he can and more, and now is the time to pass the baton to someone in the living world. He plays the Song of Healing and the Goron goes away. He soothes a Zora in a similar fashion. Link learns that Majora started going crazy when he couldn't get over his friends (the Four Giants) leaving him. The Ikana couldn't let go, Sharp and Flat couldn't let go, the Garo couldn't let go, and so on. A major theme in Majora's Mask is letting go and moving on. Link f***s up Majora in the moon. Termina's saved! Yay!
There's a celebration and the credits end with a drawing of the Skull Kid and Link holding hands accompanied by Tatl and Tael. Awwww...
Link learns that he has to let of Navi from MM, as was Nintended. Another major theme in MM is the keeping of promises. Link remembers his promise to Zelda that he'd come back and visit. Knowing that the Skull Kid knows everything about everything in the forest (how else would he guide around TP Link?), OT Link enlists his help in getting him home. Ergo, OT Link is not a stalfos because the Skull Kid wouldn't have let him get messed up. Remember that Skull thinks of Link as a friend.
So OT Link goes back to Hyrule through the Lost Woods. He wanders around and takes up a job as either a knight, seeing as how the potters have banned him for life and the lawn doesn't need THAT much mowing. OT Link runs around solving Hyrule's problems. Along the way, he somehow learns how to use the Ocarina to manipulate time beyond what he was capable of in MM. He can not only speed up and slow down time, now he can travel through it. He uses this time traveling ability to further help Hyrule.
Out of curiosity, he hops over to the Wind Waker timeline and goes waaaaaay into the future and sees that Hyrule's been flooded, but that his successor's there and is taking care of it. He's aged so much that he's turned to dust at this point, so he has to figure out some way to get back in time as an animate cloud of dust. He can't hold the ocarina as dust, but he can influence the wind by opening up holes in himself to let the wind blow more freely. He eventually gets really good at manipulating the wind and plays whatever song he needs to to get home. So now, OT Link is good at 1) Hitting things with swords, 2) solving block puzzles, 3) playing the Ocarina, and 4) messing with the wind to make songs.
He feels guilty about how much he skrewed up the WW timeline, especially since he's skrewed it up twice (once by letting the Dorf into the sacred realm and once more because he thinks he's responsible for the flooding of Hyrule. Therefore he decides he's going to go into the future in the TP timeline and see if he's too decayed by the time Hyrule needs him. He isn't, for the skeleton he's become is still anthropomorphic. However, when he wanders into the Twilight, he gets turned into a wolf, for he's still a Link. He's wandering around as a wolf unable to hold the ocarina, but then he remembers the mad skills he got in WW. He builds the howling stones so that TP Link can find him. He doesn't know about the tears for the light spirits, so he's stuck in the Twilight as a wolf. He goes and finds the Skull Kid and explains who he is and what's going on. Skull Kid agrees to help the dude with the pointy hat get through the Lost Woods. Being the Skull Kid, he decides to have a little fun with it and sends some marionettes at TP Link. TP Link's also an adult, and we know that Skull doesn't like adults.
TP Link goes around in wolf form and howls at the stones. These stones call OT Link to TP Link even with their diminished power. OT Link then puts on his Hero of Time mojo and teleports them to a place where there is overwhelming light. There is so much light, in fact, that OT Link turns back into a skeleton, though the transformation reverses as soon as he returns to the real world. OT Link teaches TP Link sword moves. TP Link f***s up Ganon, so he's happy. OT Link helped in his own way, so he's happy. Everyone's happy. Don't ask me how he gets back to die so he can show up underneath the tree in the courtyard of the castle or how he manages to teleport the two Links into the shiny training place.
Anyway, that's my theory. Are there any specific questions on anything which does not make sense?

hohohooooly****.

is this your EE?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i think this is the thread where people were talking about the tombstone that said something like here lies the cursed hero or something like that.

Now here comes spoilers do not read unless u beat skyward sword already

at the end of the game the bad guy curses you and every other link that comes after you to living something like blood filled lives. so it might be this curse the tombstone was talking about

Spire

III
BRoomer
i think this is the thread where people were talking about the tombstone that said something like here lies the cursed hero or something like that.

Now here comes spoilers do not read unless u beat skyward sword already

at the end of the game the bad guy curses you and every other link that comes after you to living something like blood filled lives. so it might be this curse the tombstone was talking about
No,
Demise curses Link and Zelda to forever quarrel with a future reincarnation of himself. Guess who he's referring to?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
No,
Demise curses Link and Zelda to forever quarrel with a future reincarnation of himself. Guess who he's referring to?
ok that was obvious. but i still believe
the curse demise put on you could still be the same one referred to on the tombstone. just b/c ganondorf is demised reincarnation that maybe he was cursing link to always have to fight does not change that this could be the same curse on the tombstone

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh man, I totally misread your post last time. Yeah totally, the tombstone in the Hyrule Castle cemetery could totally be referring to this curse.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
ok that was obvious. but i still believe
the curse demise put on you could still be the same one referred to on the tombstone. just b/c ganondorf is demised reincarnation that maybe he was cursing link to always have to fight does not change that this could be the same curse on the tombstone
I fixed your spoiler tag for you.

In the future, when using these tags make sure to click on Preview Post before you post to make sure that you used the spoiler tags correctly.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I could have sworn that Link returned to Hyrule, or at least left Termina by the end of the game.
He does leave Termina, I've always said he got lost in the forest with out a fairy and became a stalfos a.k.a. Hero's Shade and I think a lot of people agree with that theory.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
He does leave Termina, I've always said he got lost in the forest with out a fairy and became a stalfos a.k.a. Hero's Shade and I think a lot of people agree with that theory.
You know, I REALLY wish people would stop saying this BS theory.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
You know, I REALLY wish people would stop saying this BS theory.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, I'm really open to whatever you have to say but when I played TP it just seemed like an obvious answer to me. There's so much evidence towards it that it didn't even come as a shocking revelation once I thought of it myself. If it's been completely discredited I'd like to hear the reason, unless it's not that you believe in a different theory and you just don't care for the idea.
Edit: I believe Hyrule Historia has confirmed this theory as well and places MM directly before TP of course that doesn't close the book on it's debate since a lot of stuff in that book is debatable.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Said what? That Link became a Stalfos? I'd love to see that part.

I think you're confusing the argument of Link being the Hero's Shade and Link being a Stalfos.

For reference:

Hero's Shade is NOT a Stalfos.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yeah, I always figured the HS was some Link.

Secretly, I hoped he was Skyward Sword Link. :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah, not him. It seems to be OOT Link to me, however sad that is. What we know what happened is MM, afterwards, to make WW make sence, it seems to me he split up the Triforce pieces and hid them in Hyrule in chests at hard to find places and made charts where to find them. Didn't they outright said so in Wind Waker anyway that the Hero split up the Triforce himself? Maybe afterwards he turned a Stalfos (or what is to be the Hero's Shade), as he was no longer protected by its power.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Nah, not him. It seems to be OOT Link to me, however sad that is. What we know what happened is MM, afterwards, to make WW make sence, it seems to me he split up the Triforce pieces and hid them in Hyrule in chests at hard to find places and made charts where to find them. Didn't they outright said so in Wind Waker anyway that the Hero split up the Triforce himself? Maybe afterwards he turned a Stalfos (or what is to be the Hero's Shade), as he was no longer protected by its power.

There's three time lines, one can argue against it but according to nintendo in a way that makes some sense, WW and TP don't take place in the same time line.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aye yeah I see, mixed up timelines in that one. Forget about it then

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure Link doesn't become a stalfos...

He kind of grew up around that forest

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I kinda like the idea that the Hero's Shade is him, but in spirit form. He feels he has to teach TP Link the sword techniques out of frustration of not being able to defeat Ganondorf himself. Or, he feels that he's a failure for not having done so. But that's just me.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The concept of the Hero's Shade is a lot like Ganon compared to Demise. Ganon is Demise's hatred manifested. Hero's Shade is Link's regret manifested.

And he's not a goddamn stalfos. You guys make me want to cut myself each time I read that.

Gaogao

Smash Cadet
The concept of the Hero's Shade is a lot like Ganon compared to Demise. Ganon is Demise's hatred manifested. Hero's Shade is Link's regret manifested.

And he's not a goddamn stalfos. You guys make me want to cut myself each time I read that.
Lolsss at this^ XD well I feel better now:)

Top Bottom