• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What your Sonic's playstyle?

NNID
MasterHavik
I am going to stop spamming topic,and give you guys the meat and milk for Sonic.Today,question is:How you pwn with Sonic? Or in other words,wha tyour Sonic palystyle.The comboer,the grabber,or something new.I am a combo Sonic,and just love to combo character all day long.

Tenki

Smash Hero
what the heck, all Sonics are combo Sonics. Play style is more like... what moves you use more- special moves that you use the most, gimp vs knockouts, aerial vs ground.

I'm a... spin-dash and spring freak. I'll drop springs like a pigeon in NYC and find a way to use them to screw with people. I don't juggle alot, though I think I should get better at that. I used to do spindash combos alot, but now I just use spindash/spindashjump. I don't know. I tend to avoid u-tilt,u-smash, and u-air for some stupid reason. I like all his aerials, but most of my aerials go into ground moves, so I guess I'm more of a groundbased Sonic.

I like stages without platforms. :{

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
The meat and milk you say? But what if I'm a vegan? I'd want neither the meat NOR the milk would I?

Tenki, yeah in some way or another you're going to be using a combo as Sonic. I have most of my combos strung into my gimp game, and most of my ground work deals with evasion and getting a throw near the edge. I also use a lot of mind games against difficult opponents. Chances are I can do at least 1 thing my opponent has never seen or had practice countering before (like an infinite dair or infinite jump).

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
First off, you make the best topics ever. (........please stop posting these)

Second, you dont space after you end a sentence. (It really annoys me)

Third, Wiimote sideways, all controls to side taunt.

Forth, COMBOS?! IN BRAWL?! LOLLLOLOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOLLOOL!!!!!!!11!!shift+1!!!

NNID
MasterHavik
Can anyone be this rude? Making fun of me how inmatrue. I will do the smart thing,and just down it right now. Umm... it not that hard for me to do a combo.And my question is what is your probelm? Do you really have to be this rude to me? I think a person like yourself should try to lay off on other people just trying to have fun,and learn some new moves. In the end,I just hate rude people like you.

NNID
MasterHavik
Well,I can't make off topic stuff so what do you want me to do than,huh? I can understand the other stuff as a joke,but if you post off topic crap,then you would have mods and admins in your ***.most of the mod/admins have no lifes,and will lock anything tha tdoesn't talk about dash canel or new spikes for a characters.These smash boards are full with idots that only care abotu a game where you have Sonci pwning Mario.And it not fun just posting in other topic,so that why i make my own.I might post a video a thread of my Sonic(Which is decent a best,and few showing my kirby and G&W.) But,in the end,there nothing I can do to make these topics fun or funny.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
So then don't post, or don't come on to these boards. There are other sections of the forum you can check out besides this that offer plenty of fufilling activities.

And these types of threads are fine, but no one takes them seriously and you just don't seem to get it. All the threads I have seen you start were fails with the title. This is a website to talk competetivley about a fighting game, not about being fun/funny. Of course there are going to be fun / funny topics on the boards but this wasn't the idea when the boards were created.

Also, you can be completely off topic in posts, the mods on these forums do have lifes. That isn't to say you should tryt to go off tpoic but its completely possible.
It is quite rude of you to think that the mods/admins here have no lives. You should learn to think before you speak, because the same acusation could be made toward you coming on to these boards and posting worhtless threads. It is also disrespectful to the people that work here. They work hard to keep this site running and now your bashing them.

Just to explain something, you joined this forum in the month that Brawl was released, so right there you have next to no respect off the bat, then you post stupid threads like, "The Best Sonics". The game just came out. Do you understand anything about fighting games at all? Nothing has really developed yet. Also, your posting about kids who you have never played with, and baseing your ideas off videos and rumors in posts. Also, if you read the rules and regulations, We have acually had several versions of this thread, so good job on reading and following the rules.

I'm not trying to be an *******, but your being n00bish. So stop, lol.

And what the hell is the deal with your space bar? Does it only work like everyother time you use it or something? Nothing personal but you don't use the space bar after a period or comma dn its really bugging me for some reason. So knock that off too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I tend to abuse the heck out of Bair. Short hopped bairs, as well as fair spam.

I'll also try to control the ground with dthrow, and I stutter step very frequently.

My favorite thing to do is bair to a shielding opponent, WALK toward them, past through them by walking, and fsmash/grab the other way.

It's hilarious.

Oh, and side-taunt spam.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i just run away until the opponent kills themselves because they have been playing for 10 hours str8 trying to hit a hedghog while being spammed with the words "you're too slow"

Tenki

Smash Hero
On a serious note, this did have a potential to be a good topic. The first post just failed the presentation. I made a thread like this in the Captain Falcon boards and someone decided to work off one of the questions, and it could potentially change CF's metagame, since he realized that most CF's were neglecting a move that had a bit of potential usage.

People tell me I play differently from other Sonics they've faced. I don't know if it means that I really do have a different playstyle from other competent Sonics or if I'm the first competent Sonic they've faced. I'd like to know, too.

Like I said before, I do better in non-platform levels due to my spring/spindash-based fighting and lower use of U-air juggles. I've fought Terios and he definitely did better against me in places like Battlefield. Let's turn this into a worthwhile thread.

-----

btw sonic does have combos. heck, his spindash combo is BUILT IN.

Sakurai just doesn't want 4+ move strings

-----
@memphis's next post (didn't want to bump)
yeah, true.

But that's why spindash owns. 20+ damage, combos, it's his best damaging/punishing move. I don't know why other people don't use it too much :[

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I usually only u-air out of a u-throw because I would rather push someone towards the edge than juggle them for a small amount of damage. But I always base my play-style around the character I'm fighting. I've said it before and I'll say it again: a one-size-fits-all approach will not work.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
this did have a potential to be a good topic. The first post just failed the presentation.
Yeah I agree/agreed, but we have had a thread like this already, at least a couple times if i recall correctly.

btw sonic does have combos. heck, his spindash combo is BUILT IN.
The general joke is that there arn't any combos with the lack of hit stun.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sonic has a lot of options so it is a really good thing to discuss different play styles. From what I have seen i can divide sonic playstyles into 3 catagories:

1. Spin spammer - self explanatory.... spams side B and down B. somtimes effective on certian chars

2. The up b spammer - less common, usualy uair kills.. and less common because they leave this style

3. the fighter- these kinds of sonic dont use up-b or spindahs very often and somtimes not enuff. but they are usually pretty good at holding their own with aerial attacks and smashes, which is suprising.

Obviously the best sonic would jsut plain use w/e is best for the situation, and would know the strong points of all styles.

not sure anyone is there yet tho.

I'm SURE sonic has more styles, but this is generally what i have come accross.

NNID
MasterHavik
Man,I know it about the game,but there one thing that bother me. I'm sorry if I was rude,but dude it the internet wha tca nwe do abotu it. And,I think I'm not the oen going off topic,it the people who start posting the off topic stuff inthe first place,and I think you shouldn't be trying to blame everything on me. I know you're trying to respectful,but I shouldn't leave these froums casue you tell to. And no,I will not stop making threads becasue you said so. In other words,I don't like to push around,and I liek to paly this game at a high level,but guys in the end,it just a game where you have Mario fighting Sonci or the other way around.but,all I want is to hear so good high level paly,and I'm being noobish you are jsut trying to really blow me off. And to tenki thanks,but dam nwha td oyou want to do about it.I'm not no awesome player or smashers freak.Just a person that know how to play the game that all. And sorry abotu not spacing after ever peroid,and stuff,but seriosu wha td oyou want me to do about it??? Man,people these days ask for too much.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I pursue like crazy, try to never let my opponents have breathing space. Reminds me of the real Sonic. I do spring bomb alot though.

I also UpB whenever I have to scratch my nose online.

Tenki

Smash Hero
sonic has a lot of options so it is a really good thing to discuss different play styles. From what I have seen i can divide sonic playstyles into 3 catagories:

1. Spin spammer - self explanatory.... spams side B and down B. somtimes effective on certian chars

2. The up b spammer - less common, usualy uair kills.. and less common because they leave this style

3. the fighter- these kinds of sonic dont use up-b or spindahs very often and somtimes not enuff. but they are usually pretty good at holding their own with aerial attacks and smashes, which is suprising.

Obviously the best sonic would jsut plain use w/e is best for the situation, and would know the strong points of all styles.

not sure anyone is there yet tho.

I'm SURE sonic has more styles, but this is generally what i have come accross.
;< I must be a mix of all 3.

I like spindashes for damage, I drop springs/use spring setups alot (which is why I hate platforms), and I try to combo them into aerials or tilts.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I have 2 fighting styles

Online:homing spammer. I use it all the time with or without hiding it in a spin-dash,I don't pursue my oponents far from the stage usually and I do a running dash more often than not.

Offline:I resemble the fighter described 2 posts up. I short hop and fair often. I Pursue my opponent all the way to the upper and/or side bounderies as much as possible I also use dair alot.
I don't use the spin-dash (aide or down) very often and I rarely use homing,and when I do,it's out of a dash.
I also usually try a front smash whenever I see an opening.

That pretty much sums me up.

edit:forgot the "very often"
I do you spin dash just not alot.

Infamous Chimera

Smash Cadet
Hmm... my playstyle... I don't think I have an "absolute" Sonic playstyle because my playstyles are always changing.

I do feel that I am quite aerial with Sonic as I seem to use his aerial attacks more often than his grounded attacks.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Man,I know it about the game,but there one thing that bother me. I'm sorry if I was rude,but dude it the internet wha tca nwe do abotu it. And,I think I'm not the oen going off topic,it the people who start posting the off topic stuff inthe first place,and I think you shouldn't be trying to blame everything on me. I know you're trying to respectful,but I shouldn't leave these froums casue you tell to. And no,I will not stop making threads becasue you said so. In other words,I don't like to push around,and I liek to paly this game at a high level,but guys in the end,it just a game where you have Mario fighting Sonci or the other way around.but,all I want is to hear so good high level paly,and I'm being noobish you are jsut trying to really blow me off. And to tenki thanks,but dam nwha td oyou want to do about it.I'm not no awesome player or smashers freak.Just a person that know how to play the game that all. And sorry abotu not spacing after ever peroid,and stuff,but seriosu wha td oyou want me to do about it??? Man,people these days ask for too much.
wall of text; dr

when you post, use the space bar and use the return key so your postings aren't a huge wall.
spacing., ok? i thought you played brawl.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
My own personal play style: when i started sonic, i decided to master the spin dash first, so i was a spin spammer...

and then i played a bit just trying to learn arials and delay spots, got pwned...

so no i have been screwing around with the spring, and all in all... i find that the spring alone is probobly the most useful application for sonic to win a game because offencively and defencively...
-stops enemy attacks while dealing damage to them
-gets u the hell out of danger's way
-puts u in the sky, which isnt really a bad place for sonic
-allows u to negate delay on dair completely, and makes dair so usable thats its not funny.
(on a side note, i actually started using the dair into grounded spring in my actual combat games... because i find it very useful for things like ledge gaurding and countering people that like the forward a tactic)

and i even started using spin shotting, meainly because it looks cool hahah... but its a kinda sweet apprach actually... definately gets ppl like "wtf was that"

BrawlChamp14

Smash Apprentice
well i like to combo the hell out of my friends with Sonic
something like
Up Throw, Up a, Up a, Up b, Up a = normaly dead
or
just for damage: Up Throw, F-air, B-air, Homming Attack.

and i can also do a down special spindash that ends with the homming cancel. making sonic constantly stay in a "ball" shape. but that is more damageing

and a helpful tip
comming off the edge, come up doing sonic F-air, across the stage then eventually Smash A to kill them once they have high damage

Boxob

Smash Champion
I like to imagine I'm a dragon, burninating the countryside. It works pretty well. If I get to predictable I grab the Smash ball and turn super sonic. It takes some skill to control him but when you get the handle of it it's really good.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well i like to combo the hell out of my friends with Sonic
something like
Up Throw, Up a, Up a, Up b, Up a = normaly dead
or
just for damage: Up Throw, F-air, B-air, Homming Attack.

and i can also do a down special spindash that ends with the homming cancel. making sonic constantly stay in a "ball" shape. but that is more damageing

and a helpful tip
comming off the edge, come up doing sonic F-air, across the stage then eventually Smash A to kill them once they have high damage
-they don't dodge or move to the side before/after you spring? :[
-nice...tip..?

-Also, how the heck do you get a B-air to hit after an F-air? o_O;

PS, Boxob's method is pretty effective. (pm: did you try out the variations/setups for your move?)

BrawlChamp14

Smash Apprentice
-they don't dodge or move to the side before/after you spring? :[
-nice...tip..?

-Also, how the heck do you get a B-air to hit after an F-air? o_O;

PS, Boxob's method is pretty effective. (pm: did you try out the variations/setups for your move?)
they try to move but i can execute the combo b4 they have a chance to move.
the only way they can dodge it is if they use the air dodge but that doesnt even eork all the time. cuz ill conctantly do Up a in the air so they will get hit by it

and the F-air to B-air combo ive done a few times. even in a recent tournament. but it will only work if you dont hit them with all the attacks in Sonic's F-air. that will put them behind you allowing you to do B-air then to homming cancel attack. make sense now?

and for the Boxob thing, i dont play with items on

BrawlChamp14

Smash Apprentice
i dont play with items on cuz in a way it determines the match.
like if you play with just the Smash ball on, whoever gets it, most likely will win the match.
Smash Ball = Easy KO's, Determines the Match, not tournament legal

and i dont really believe in tiers either. i use charaters who i think i can win/are easy to use.
such as Falco, Sonic, Meta Knight, Link, Marth

the ONLY time i play with the Smash Ball on is when me and 3 friends do a 99 Stock Match

Boxob

Smash Champion
I do the same thing. I like using people who are easy to use. Like sonic and Captain Falcon (:chuckle:falcon punch:chuckle:) I mained link in Melee cause his UpB was so good. I could win using just that move I swear.

BrawlChamp14

Smash Apprentice
lol Thats how i was too in Melee. i mained Link. but i was one of those WaveDashing, Dashdancing ******* that was hard to beat. but i used his Up B to KO all my opponents

Boxob

Smash Champion
Lol alright I'm done joking around. I don't use items. And in Melee I mained Falco/Mewtwo. I still play Melee also.

Top Bottom