• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to the reveal of Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Darn it, I didn't think I'd have to do one of these threads (post-E3 2013 era); aside from Rosalina, I've enjoyed the presence of all of the newcomers.. XD

Wow...um, so okay, this is the first time I'm participating in one of these threads.. XD (Thank goodness I only have to do one of them; Chrom scared me for a bit). But yeah, I WAS WRONG.

On the plus side, Lucina is pretty and all, she had a very nice Super Smash Bros. 4 trailer voice actress, and I liked how she was depicted with resolve as she (hopelessly?) charged towards the mighty Captain Falcon...

But anyways, I didn't think that Lucina was going to be playable; the best I was hoping for her was a Marth alternate costume ("Masked Marth", being Marth wearing Lucina's Mask). In terms of Fire Emblem representation, I more-or-less expected "Marth, Chrom" or "Marth, Ike, Chrom", while I wanted "Marth, Ike, Robin the Tactician, maybe Roy if he can be retooled). If Marth was going to have a Fire Emblem clone, I figured it would be Chrom (I was hoping for at least a non-clone Lucina if she were present, and even that hope has gotten seemingly dashed).

I would've been content with Lucina as a Trophy only (and I would've settled with Lucina with a non-clone moveset that attempts diversity), but her implementation just irks me. Not only is she "Roy 2.0" at this point (as in, Marth's moveset with minor differences in various attributes. No offense, Roy!), a cloned moveset which we just got done getting rid of in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but she's apparently what Marth should have been in Super Smash Bros. 4 (speedy and whatnot), and she's (yet) a(-nother) blue-haired swordfighter (it was bad enough having her being a "figurative" copy of Marth, but literally using Marth's moves is a bit much. Not to mention the myriad of different weapons/weapon-users that the Fire Emblem series touts in its arsenal.). If we're going to have a Marth clone again, we might as well bring back Roy, give Lucina's current "speedy" moveset to Marth, and give Marth's current "slow/floatly" moveset to Roy, instead of making Marth suck just so Lucina can be in the game. >_> Alternatively, we could've dedicated the resources spent on Lucina to other non-clone characters, but that's another discussion..

Nevertheless, since Robin is in, I can't get too mad at Lucina. I figured Fire Emblem would get 3 playable representatives, but a fourth is astonishing.. Her trailer portrayal was great, in any case. Congrats, Lucina (here's hoping that Custom Moves help to diversify her more from Marth, even if a little)! At least your dad gets to show up in some capacity, too! :p

Frankly, this excites me. Even though she's a clone, it proves we WILL get two new reps for franchises in this game, which really helps another franchise: the DK franchise, which is extremely deserving of two reps.
(I assume you mean two new reps for the Donkey Kong franchise, since it already has 2..?) But anyways, I haven't thought of it like that; aside from Lucina's annoying clone status, her presence provides a nice glimmer of hope. I'll be quite surprised if the DK franchise doesn't gain at least one more playable representative (primarily, King K. Rool).

---

Finally, even though I'm not a fervent Lucina supporter, I have to say that I really admire this animation in Reginleif's current signature. :3

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The other newcomers only have larger banners because of their posters. Lucina's poster is the same as Robin's, which is in Robin's page since she is a non-clone newcomer, so I ask... Why should Lucina have a larger banner? The "newcomer" text is in her page, by the way, so I don't really get why people are confused? She is a newcomer, a different character than Marth and yes, seemingly a clone.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Outside of Lucina fans...i think most likely everyone had the same expression.

Why a clone Sakurai...whyyyyy
Clones are going to happen no matter what, as has been shown time and time again in this series. They might as well be characters a lot of people wanted to see, instead of random choices like Pichu.

Last edited:

Reila

A really good reaction. I was happy because when Lucina appeared, the Gematsu leak got wrecked. Though the !? in the text made me consider the hypothesis of Sakurai trolling us once again, but fortunately that was not the case.

Reila

"Why is Sakurai putting a clone in Smash, there were never clones in Smash before"

:falco::toonlink::lucas:

Wait... Something here is not right.

Just deal with it. Lucina is in. She is a clone, but an amazing clone. Chrom would also be a clone and a lot of people wanted him nway.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
And how do you know people didn't want Pichu when Melee was in development?
I have never seen a large following for Pichu for any of the Smash games. Granted, I didn't have a very big internet present pre-Melee (I was too young to join internet communities lol), but still.. I know Pichu has the whole "cute" thing going for it, but so do a lot of Pokemon, and it really doesn't seem to stick out at all.

The only thing I could point out about Pichu that might not have been random is that it might have been added as a representation of the new (at the time) generation of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
"Why is Sakurai putting a clone in Smash, there were never clones in Smash before"

Just deal with it. Lucina is in. She is a clone, but an amazing clone. Chrom would also be a clone and a lot of people wanted him nway.
Hey Einstein, im talking about NEW CLONES. I think the old ones were enought.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I have never seen a large following for Pichu for any of the Smash games. Granted, I didn't have a very big internet present pre-Melee (I was too young to join internet communities lol)
It didn't need to have a big Internet following to be wanted. For all we know, there could've been some random person who wanted Wii Fit Trainer.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
I put this into another thread, but I'll just put it again here.
I think it's just because she shares the trailer and artwork with Robin, who was more of the highlight of the announcement. This was the first video with two new characters and I guess they just wanted to make one video and image for them together and just stick them into Robin's page and make Lucina's box smaller to show that she doesn't have the video/art.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It didn't need to have a big Internet following to be wanted. For all we know, there could've been some random person who wanted Wii Fit Trainer.
Well, yes, I'm sure there is at least one person that wanted Wii Fit Trainer, and I'm sure that there was also at least one person that wanted Pichu. That's aside from the point. Lucina is a more popular character (at least in terms of making it into SSB), and thus is a fun character to add as a 'clone'.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
My reaction was "Oh so that's why they made Marth slower, have less range, throw stronger and have less of a air game. I guess female Marth is going to be a weaker but faster version which will make her better overall."

Then I was excited because 'Marth' was still going to be good in smash4.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Dr. Luigi when.
Dr. Luigi would be a perfect alternate costume.

BUT lets not hijack the excitement (or disappointment for some? :( ) that this topic was intended to be about!

The_SuperiorTaste

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperiorTaste
3DS FC
0834-2018-7252
Quite honestly surprised, I was expecting her to be an alt. costume of Marth. But I was mildly disappointed when I didn't see any blatantly noticeable moves from Marth.

Tenguman

Smash Rookie
I don't mind that she is a marth clone, but i'd rather it be ROY as far as clones go.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
At first I was hyped, but then I saw her moves and the hype quickly died.

Don't try to convince me otherwise, I'm just disappointed that she had to turn out as a Marth clone/shoto.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
surprised; was unexpected; but overall:

Not wanting to spoil the happiness from anybody though; enjoy your character, guys. =)

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur

Don't try to convince me otherwise, I'm just disappointed that she had to turn out as a Marth clone/shoto.
QFT

IMO, this is a fail on so many levels from Sakurai.

Last edited:

Tenguman

Smash Rookie

even though i said she was a clone too, it's probably not 100% true. she most likely shares alot of her moves with marth and has a few of her own that will differentiate the two, which again, is not a big deal.

Twewy

Smash Lord

See, I'd be perfectly okay with Lucina if she had an original moveset. I was bummed as all hell to learn that she took her Marth act too far.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
even though i said she was a clone too, it's probably not 100% true. she most likely shares alot of her moves with marth and has a few of her own that will differentiate the two, which again, is not a big deal.
Not a good excuse. Lucina goes against what Sakurai has been saying all this time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Confused. I have so many unanswered questions.

What was with the "?!"
Is she her own character? (though this one was answered)
What differences does she have with Marth?
When's Kalos League going to get an actual reveal?
Was she originally a skin or something and then Sakurai went "eh, screw it" and made her a clone?
If the above is true, was Chrom ever considered?
If both of the above are true, what does that mean for the info we had already assumed to be outdated?
Why does she have Marth's stance instead of a stance closer to her stance in Awakening?
What does this mean for clone characters that already exist? Does this mean the assumption that custom moves could make some characters unneeded wrong?

Other than that though, yay, a new character. I had a character I was going to main, everything since the Smash Direct has been icing.

Here. Use this.

Last edited by a moderator:

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Because She is a blatant clone , and im pretty sure that Sakurai coundt put the "newcomer" word with a straight face,
You sir/madam, are pessemistic. Bleh bleh
The other newcomers only have larger banners because of their posters. Lucina's poster is the same as Robin's, which is in Robin's page since she is a non-clone newcomer, so I ask... Why should Lucina have a larger banner? The "newcomer" text is in her page, by the way, so I don't really get why people are confused? She is a newcomer, a different character than Marth and yes, seemingly a clone.
Well played...
She has her newcomer banner on the mobile version of the site.

Here:

Users of other non-mobile devices will just get the veteran square for Lucina.
CURRSE YOUU MOBILLE DEVICESSSS!!!!!!!

Morbi

Scavenger
One tear rolled down my cheek; only one. After that I gasped, I was trying to discern whether or not she was actually in the game. At first, I assumed that she was an alternate. Glad I was incorrect.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
cool i was more for lyn but whatever see she might be a marth clone :/ really that's disappointing well at least we got robin

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
"Is...she an actual character or just a skin? Kinda hoping for the latter since I've never cared for clones"

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman

Definitely, since you never showed other clones. And Chrom being a clone cause he is a blue haired swordsman, that's racist:p. I get that you really wanted Lucina, and I am happy for her supporters, but insulting the Chrom supporters is a whole new low.

Yeah Melee had them, but his game is not Melee. It is it's own game, free to not make the same mistakes past games madeAt LEAST the Brawl dev team made the effort to differentiate then clones from the original templates, to the point they were different characters. So why is this game stopping the progress Brawl had? Unfortunately, there is very little in this trailer that suggests Lucina to be anything but a clone character, let alone -semi-clone/anti-clone like Falco and Wolf and Gannondorf and Lucas.

Las far as the reveal trailer went, I was hyped for C Falcon, very excited for Robin, and puzzled by. Lucina/Decapre, no offense to her supporters.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

It's bullcrap. It's not because Chrom is deconfirmed... not because Lucina got in over Chrom... but because people hating on Chrom for being a potential clone now feel validated that Chrom is not playable since he would have ended up a clone anyway without evidence even though we got FEMALE MARTH CLONE.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
I feel nothing but contempt for her, her inclusion and people who like her.

Shame on you for liking things I hate.

Last edited:

Lord Ike

Smash Rookie
When they first showed that she was going to be playable, I was actually happy. Then when I saw her moveset, I lost all of my faith in Sakurai. Real talk.

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
because she wouldnt take up a row. look at the website. each row either has 4 veterans that make it up or a newcomer and one veteran. if we gave her a rectangle, who would be the veteran to make up the row? thats why. look at the mobile site. that one doesnt have a layout like this site where it needs to worry about other factors before you can have someone take up a large spot. due to this, they can fit the design fine hence why the mobile version has it and the regular site which has factors to worry about before placing a newcomer banner, doesn't.

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo
because she wouldnt take up a row. look at the website. each row either has 4 veterans that make it up or a newcomer and one veteran. if we gave her a rectangle, who would be the veteran to make up the row? thats why. look at the mobile site. that one doesnt have a layout like this site where it needs to worry about other factors before you can have someone take up a large spot. due to this, they can fit the design fine hence why the mobile version has it and the regular site which has factors to worry about before placing a newcomer banner, doesn't.
Wat.

The layout dynamically changes with the window that it is opened in. Layout has zero factor in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom