• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your 1st impression of Melee?

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
I was just wondering what was everybody's first impression on Melee, like, how did it surprise you? The graphics, the attacks, the ability to wavedash and L-cancel. How did you feel about all this? :confused:

Ghostype

Smash Champion
I watched the trailer on Smash World's Melee page about a dozen times, and was entirely too excited to play the game. It's still so exciting. =D

Superstar

Smash Champion
I thought it was the greatest game in the history of the world. I liked the Pokemon Stadium level best.

Its effects were a step up from the N64. I remember waiting two years for that game.

Not enough money for a GCN.

Smash Master
I was like, wow, all the characters move so fluidly. In other fighting games, you have to wait while your character does his clunky animaton. Here it's just Bowser that does that.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
well i first saw the N64 game, and i was like 'hey this is cool'
when i saw melee i was like 'awesome!' but in a casual way
i couldnt imagine what kind of game it really is

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
Probably the fact, that it was even coming out. I never thought they'd make another smash brothers game.

Just strolliing through target and, bam, I see the trailer and I'm thinking, "Oh man, another smash!? Sweet, I can play as Peach, Bowser, Ridley (at the time, I thought he was going to be a character) and those two ****** kids.
NO WAY! Fox has fur, now."

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
I loved SMASH. Mainly because I could beat my older brother with Peach.
But when I came to SWF and learned about the advanced techniques, I thought all of you were crazy. But not anymore! I call my friends who don't know the "adv techs" crazy...

Justin

Smash Apprentice
I was ecstatic when I heard Melee was coming out. Another game to potentially be better at than my friend. Me and him are way too competitive when it comes to video games. In particular SSB and Mortal Kombat.

solidsnake4119

Smash Rookie
To tell you the truth, i thought it was most stupidest game i have ever seen. But then after playing it i liked it.. and im still playing it. Cuz currently at that time i played tekken and all those games with HP, and i thought this sort of style was stupid.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
It was 2001, december. I got it for Christmas. Finally hook it up, and I am awestruck. I had been playing gameboy color and n64 untill then, and I hadn't seen videos or anything like that before then....and I was just....(_) . (_) I almost cried.
SSBM was the first game I played on my Gamecube, and it was my last.
But back to impressions, it was (and is) amazing. The graphics were CRAZY, considering that they're still great today. Well, good anyways. The gameplay was the kicker. A great game, all around. That was the one game that really launched me into gaming.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well i could tell you but it would be long since it hasnt left my gamecube yet so its all just one big first impression :)

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Roy was the coolest character ever.... lol my old favorite link was way to slow lol

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
i never play'd nor saw the n64 smash, and in about 02 i played it one time with my friends. They were really really good at the time and didn't tell me how to play or anything....So i always thought it was pretty gay....And then finally about a month or two ago i was at wal mart and wanted to buy another cube game and i saw it, and i was like eh why not. And ever since i have been addicted and play with a couple friends usually everyday or every other after work....

i was naturally attracted to ice climbers, they are the ****....but tryin to get a good general knowledge of everyone, can't wait for brawl

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
My first impression was watching a rebroadcast of an MLG Halo tourney and seeing Ken vs Isai in the final. I had no real good idea of how to play the game, but I could tell just by watching it that these guys were something amazing.

Before Smash, as far as fighting games go, I played Tekken. It's such a different game, so it was somewhat of an awkward transition. Still, though, it's been all for the better. It is pretty much the only game I play now.

Uck2

Smash Cadet
My first inpression of melee was wow you could use Nes characters to battle with each other.Then it became an addiction but wasnt to impressed until I discovered the boards a year ago.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
My first impression was like "that´s way too fast" and that´s even before discovering the competive playstyles which was even faster, now I think it´s perfect, hopes that brawl won´t be screwed since it´s slower (like loads of easy infinites)

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
After hearing about Melee for so long and wanting it so badly, I finally got to try it out at my local target. The first thing I noticed was that you could choose BOWSER. This blew my mind, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. "Bowser in a Smash game? No way!" I also noticed that Peach was in the game. So I chose Bowser and proceeded to beat up Peach for half an hour, learning the new controls. I was hooked. Such a step up from the previous Smash. Charged Smashes, Forward B moves, air dodging...I loved it.

Wavedashing and stuff came later. I kept seeing all these fad topics on GameFAQs about wavedashing. After ignoring it for so long I finally read one of the topics. After that, I thought wavedashing was the hardest thing ever, and I was amazed when I saw someone wavedash. Later I learned how to wavedash, then watched lots of pro Smash vids and got into the other techs. The rest is history :)

Jumpfreak

Smash Lord
My first impression was like "that´s way too fast" and that´s even before discovering the competive playstyles which was even faster, now I think it´s perfect, hopes that brawl won´t be screwed since it´s slower (like loads of easy infinites)
Same. I was overwhelmed by the speed of the game (in comparrison to ssb64) at first.

But now, I <3 it and it's pretty much the only game I'll ever play...

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
First impressions (december 2001 of course)

1. OMFG what did they do to ness' recovery it SUCKS NOW!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. you can charge smash attacks??? whatttt??? holy crap thats awesome.

3. holy crap links' recovery doesnt suck anymore!!! hes gona be my main character.
- stuck w him ever since :chuckle: :chuckle:

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was just so cool. I like all of it. The graphics are cool. I couldn't stop playing it. I wanted to unlock everything but I never turned to cheat sites for anything.

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
hmmm, first impressions:

1) It would be better than SSB64 (and i think it came out better in the end)
2) The game was great, obviously. We could play for hours on end and not get bored. (still true all these years later)
3) Peach just hit that guy in the face with a frying pan! Alright! :) (of course, now frying pan can be a let down)
3) Marth was a girly man. (still is)
4) Mewtwo??? (shouldn't he have been more powerful??????)
5) OMG I CAN USE PICHU!?!?!?!?! (critter kicks ftw!)
6) Roy was top tier, ultimately cool
, and teh hawtness with teh phir3. (god, I can't believe I intentionally wrote such an obstruction to the english language...this needs spoiler tags......but yeah...first impressions are from n00b point of view. Too bad Roy had to end up having a hand in defining the word suck >_> *hides*)

Thankfully, the game has moved beyond that '-_-

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Heh.. When I first played SSBM I thought it was completely loaded with glitches and flaws that just didn't make since

...Later I found out what smash DI, phantom point and wavedashing was and that clear a few things up

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
lets see 2001 my friend comes over and brings his cube with Melee I think "oh **** it's on now" and I picked up ness (as I played him in 64) 25 seconds into a match... "What is this Green blob thing? I expect PK FIRE NOW WHERE IS MY FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and then I found out it was side be but too late I started picking up Falco. didn't find out untill 2006 about tournaments and advanced techs for god's sake I didn't even know about MLG

Top Bottom