• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the last book/comic/manga you read?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Counterpart thread to the movie one. As with that thread. Share what the last book you read was.

Finished Devolution by Max Brooks two days ago. It was a fun thrilling read, especially with all the theories and scientific research put in of what the bigfoots in this book were (Implied to be descendants of gigantopitheus who like other Southeast Asian megafauna managed to avoid being hunted by humans due to already having experienced with an earlier ancestor of ours Homo erectus and migrating north crossing the land bridge). The finale was the best part in the movie where the characters fought against the tribe of Bigfoots. Can't wait to see this movie be adapted into a film!

Next book I'm reading is Claw by Katie Berry.

Edit: Decided to change the title.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Don’t know if plays count, but Macbeth.

I enjoyed it, wish that it was longer.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've just finished a story collection of Lyudmila Petrushevskaya.

She has a very unique style, mixing a straightforward narrative with settings that often border on magical realism and even surrealism. Her stories were often dark and humorous and while some of them were quite disturbing, they never felt boring or ineffective.

I highly recommend her short stories if it's your thing.

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

by gosh. i dont know.

its more like audiobook.

one of the "scary stories to tell in the dark" ones. haha.

online.

on youtube.

about. many months ago. lol.

but i love the stories haha.

k thanks bye.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
The last time I read a whole book was when I read frankenstein for school. I really enjoyed it but also I only read like half of it because I had already watched a few videos that summed up the plot.

I’ve read manga since then but I don’t think that really counts

osby

Smash Obsessed
I finished Tales of the Jazz Age yesterday. I've never read anything Fitzgerald wrote before but I enjoyed it for the most part. Some stories were definitely better than others and even the writer's note admits that.

I started His Dark Materials today. It's been something I've wanted to get into for a long time and I want to read something longer for a chance. So far, it's reminding me of Terry Pratchett's work.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I started His Dark Materials today. It's been something I've wanted to get into for a long time and I want to read something longer for a chance. So far, it's reminding me of Terry Pratchett's work.
What as in full of little footnotes to add life to world that takes the mick out of the real world in a way only a certified genius could? Reinventing the basic parts of society in a fantasy setting and telling stories that are simultaneously funny heartfelt and on occasion a little dark?

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Recently purchased the Shang-Chi & the Ten Rings comic by Gene Luen Yang, Marcus To and Erick Arciniega.

Ever since I had watched Shang Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings, I became more interested to read the comics.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I recently finished Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan, a historical drama novel focusing on New York during World War II.

I had high hopes starting the book, which had a strong atmosphere and an interesting relationship between the lead characters. To give the author credit, the time period was very well-researched which made me follow the plot to the end but I think it kinda fell off after a point. Multiple perspectives were handled awkwardly with character coming and going abruptly, a lack of cohesion between different storylines and book ends that made a large portion of the book feel redundant...

I can't say I disliked the book completely but I was disappointed with it. The writer had a strong grasp on language, she could have done a lot better with a better narrative structure and characterization.

To read something lighter, I began reading Croatian Tales of Long Ago by Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić and it's pretty fun. I can see why the writer is compared to Andersen. A good read if you like reading folk tales.

ryanrich

Smash Rookie
Counterpart thread to the movie one. As with that thread. Share what the last book you read was.

Finished Devolution by Max Brooks two days ago. It was a fun thrilling read, especially with all the theories and scientific research put in of what the bigfoots in this book were (Implied to be descendants of gigantopitheus who like other Southeast Asian megafauna managed to avoid being hunted by humans due to already having experienced with an earlier ancestor of ours Homo erectus and migrating north crossing the land bridge). The finale was the best part in the movie where the characters fought against the tribe of Bigfoots. Can't wait to see this movie be adapted into a film!

Edit: Decided to change the title.
Finished Devolution by Max Brooks is an indeed great book. I started reading it a few days ago and it's very interesting.
And the last book I finished was The Mirror Man by Lars Kepler. That book is something different. The plot twists were totally unexpected and so interesting. It was the first book of Lars Kepler, but for sure not the last one

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I began reading The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin today.

It's... odd. The setting is based on New York and from the start, there's so much interesting stuff going on. The urban fantasy is used in a unique way that's reminiscent of Neil Gaiman's work but there's a weird emotional distance between what's happening and the narration. I feel like characters begin to list their important traits for the sake of getting to action as soon as they appear which is something you'd expect from a young adult book. Some of it feels deliberate but if it goes on, I'll start not to care about the protagonists.

That being said, I'm still intrigued and there's still more to go. I just hope the plot calms down a little and allows characters to interact more naturally.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
read through some of the Knight Terror comics…very confused by this 2 month long storyline still, and the multiple tie ins in such a short time span doesn’t help

osby

Smash Obsessed
I recently finished Six of Crows duology and it basically restored my faith in the young adult fiction. Both books have good prose, amazing dynamic between characters and a nice blend of bleak worldbuilding vs a constant theme of hope. There were some issues with both of them (I particularly disliked a certajn character death) but they were fun reads that never overstayed their welcome despite their length.

On the contrary, I started The Blade Itself and it's really not my thing so far. The writer's style, while unique, gets monotonous after a while.

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Honestly not sure about the last one I finished, but I'm currently reading The Marvelous Land of Oz. I already know one of the big twists in it, but I don't really mind. Wanna read through at least the original Baum run of Oz books, even if I skipped the first one for now because I saw the MGM movie and it's just kinda one of those stories everyone knows.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Monday Begins on Saturday.

It was certainly a unique novel and I'm not sure if this categorization is even correct. It felt more like the two authors bouncing ideas off each other rather than having a plot in the traditional sense - and I'm saying this in a good way. It's funny, and creative and combines the best parts of sci-fi and fantasy while constantly satirizing or referencing them. I was initially turned off by the slow start but it really worth my time in the end. The translation was also one of the best I read in a while and helped bring the world to life.

Next, I have one of Joe Hill's story books on my reading list. I've been in a horror mood since October and I liked what I've read from his works.

fripp

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NAIL#187
3DS FC
2252-1766-2463
No idea about the last one I finished, I have a bad habit of picking up a book and buying five more shortly after. Probably a Jean Genet book. His writing style is so evocative and confrontational, I love it. Not the type of books to read if you’re in a foggy state of mind, definitely requires a lot of breathers in between.

I’ve been meaning to reread Jean-Paul Sartre’s Nausea. I guess I have a thing for French writers.

Outside of fiction, I do skim through textbooks when I’m bored. I like to think I pick up a fair amount of knowledge. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
The first book I finished in 2024 was Childhood's End.

Yeah, this one is a classic for a reason. Some of its ideas still feel fresh despite becoming sci-fi mainstays, and it's a quick read. I always like it when sci-fi authors incorporate mystic elements into their work.

JamesCombs

Smash Rookie
I recently finished Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan, a historical drama novel focusing on New York during World War II.

I had high hopes starting the book, which had a strong atmosphere and an interesting relationship between the lead characters. To give the author credit, the time period was very well-researched which made me follow the plot to the end but I think it kinda fell off after a point. Multiple perspectives were handled awkwardly with character coming and going abruptly, a lack of cohesion between different storylines and book ends that made a large portion of the book feel redundant...

I can't say I disliked the book completely but I was disappointed with it. The writer had a strong grasp on language, she could have done a lot better with a better narrative structure and characterization.

To read something lighter, I began reading Croatian Tales of Long Ago by Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić and it's pretty fun. I can see why the writer is compared to Andersen. A good read if you like reading folk tales.
Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić is a new author for me, and the book I read now is the one my professor mentioned some time ago. And now when it's time to write a paper, I decided to read that book and base my writing on it, and on another book, but I still have not decided which one. Pretty often when I need to write something like this, I use ca.papersowl.com because it's pretty complicated for me to write it, and the help of academic essay writing services is beneficial and saves me from missing deadlines. When you need to write something based on a book, you need to read attentively and analyze a lot of things, and sometimes I need some extra help with all this.
I finished that book a few weeks ago, and I agree with everything you wrote. Narrative structure could be much better.
And the last book I've read is Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann.
I really liked it and can say that it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I finished that book a few weeks ago, and I agree with everything you wrote. Narrative structure could be much better.
And the last book I've read is Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann.
I really liked it and can say that it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read
I've only watched the movie adaptation and it was really gripping.

Maybe a bit too dark for me, though but I get that it's not a light topic and deserves to be told as it is.

Lioncache

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
LION#321
delicious in dungeon/dungeon meshi, baby

Last edited:
Top Bottom