• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the first character you used the first time you played this game?

Knut

Smash Apprentice
fuzzyness, i had that same mentality. first time i went to play, i saw ice climbers and was like there's two of them, and they both have hammers! you gon get *****... got ****ed up by my cousins mewtwo though, so i gave up on them and switched to peach. dmash all day.

MaxThunder

PM Support
At first I went Mario... But I quickly switched to browser cause "better" smash attacks...

then I unlocked Roy and me and mah bro we.t "OMGIT'SZORRO!!!"

Didn't take long for us to realize that was wrong... Then we unlocked marth and did it again... Been playing marth ever since=)...

:phone:

DarkMagicX2

The Worst Ganondorf Ever
NNID
DarkMagicX2
3DS FC
5386-7375-0560
I chose Samus, just because I used her most in SSB64. Then I unlocked Ganondorf, I never went back.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
i didn't have ssbm growing up i just played it at friends house super casually. I remember the first person I won with was bowser, probably because i didn't know how to do a smash attack, and cause the FLAMES

VoidofNonsense

Smash Rookie
I used DK, just because of the power. When we got more characters I played with Ganon for the same reason and Roy. I main Falcon now, although it used to be Marth. I still use Ganon sometimes.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
The first game I ever played in my life was Donkey Kong at the arcade as a kid.

Then, my father bought me the Donkey Kong Country SNES bundle for my birthday. Donkey Kong pretty much instantly became my first favourite video game character.

So when I got my hands on SSB64 back in 1999, I **** bricks everywhere that my favourite character was in a fighting game. I pretty much only played with Donkey Kong.

As I grew up, though, I started playing Zelda games more, and I became pretty obsessed with Ganondorf. I doubt I'll ever find a fictional character that I like more than him.

So when I finally got around to play Melee and discovered that Ganondorf was a playable, character, well, yeah.

DK and Ganondorf are my homies.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Fox, because he's zomg fast and was the best at getting all the good items quickly and could reflect any item shot or thrown at him.

Started finding smash events on Youtube in November of 2011. Went Pikachu after seeing Axe until entering Apex 2012. Got my *** whooped. Played Samus in the spring, haven't stopped since. Samus and ICs probably my best characters. EVen though from time to time I still try to force myself to be good at Pika. Nope not happening lol

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i was over at my friend's house a long time ago, and i saw someone playing melee. i didn't even know that a sequel to SSB64 EXISTED, but i saw roy and marth being played. i saw them and immediately thought they were SOOO COOOLL. they were easily the selling point of the game to me, since i wasn't THAT into SSB64 (i loved it, but i wasn't crazy about it).

then flash forward a few months, i got 1st place in some local spelling competition, and my mom asked me what i wanted as a reward

and i immediately responded that i wanted a gamecube and melee

when i first got the game, i played link. he had a sword like roy and marth, but he wasn't even half as cool as them, but i supposed he would suffice while i unlocked roy and marth

i initially defaulted to roy just because he has fire and because all of his attacks seemed better than marth's at the time... mostly because i spammed f-smash a lot and didn't know how to tip, so roy gave me more success. also, i thought roy's up B was way better because it had multiple fiery hits, whereas marth's just had some weak little smack (once again, i didn't know how to sweetspot his up B, obviously)

i mained roy until i got into competitive melee, where i instantly dropped him for marth the minute i saw the tier list cuz i found out that marth was actually good and roy was actually terrible. i liked both of them, so i figured i'd just pick marth cuz i knew it'd pay off more in the long run. i figured that if the competitive community said that roy was terrible and marth was good, they actually knew what they were talking about. the only thing i knew is that i knew nothing, and that it would be silly of me to try to defend roy being a good character.

my original competitive main was marth, but i ended up maining fox (and falco, but mostly fox) for like 2 years before marth called me back <3

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
We got SSB64 when I was like 5 or 6 years old. First character I played was Link. I loved Ocarine of Time and I always played Link back in those days. Every now and again I would go Pika, Fox or Falcon. (To this day I main Fox in SSB64, secondary Falcon and number 3 is Pika for me if I have to choose one, but I rarely use Pika.)

A few years later at a mall they had the Gamecube set up, and I was so hyped! It was the NEW SMASH BROS! I immediatly played a 4 people free-for-all as Link on Hyrule Temple! :D My Link is horrible though. But this thread has inspired me to maybe pick him up again :p

CableCho57

Smash Lord
I had played starfox 64 growing up and always played fox in ssb64 as a kid. I ended up not getting a gamecube and opted for the ps2 as my next gen so I never tried melee for years after it's release.

It wasn't until 2005 when I moved to Santa Barbara where I met a friend who invited me to hang out and play video games. He showed me melee and we started it up. I moved my cursor button over to fox (because of my ssb64 memories) when my friend says, "sorry, fox is my character." (we thought you couldn't ditto LOL)

He then says, "you can use Falco if you want. He's like the same as fox except his laser and recovery sucks"(These were the only differences we could tell lol)

And i've been playing Falco ever since. watching PC Chris and bombsolider convinced me to. I've dabbled with switching to ice climbers, luigi, and puff for brief moments but I always went back to Falco.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
My first character was Young Link. I went straight to him when I saw him in the roster at a friend's house. His Up B blew me away.

After I got the game, I dropped him for a while because I realized that playing so very much with him as a kid made it so that his voice made me nauseous.

But I can't divorce him and he's one of my mains again.

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
My first character was fox, ended up switching to doc (despite considering him to be the biggest waste of space in the game) because I loved back throwing people to their doom and I didn't have to worry about illusion SD's from button mashing. Plus I learned pretty quick that all I had to do for a KO back then was cape or crouch and downsmash, good times lol.

Top Bottom