• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What they did to poor Pit

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Link to original post: [drupal=2810]What they did to poor Pit[/drupal]

Okay, I just need a moment to rant about this. I main as Pit, and I love using him. I can do just about anything with him, but he has one major downfall that I don't think any other character has. Pit's final jump, the Wings of Icarus, cannot be recovered if he gets hit during it. Every other character can recover if they get hit during their Final Jump. I wonder why Pit is the only character that can't reuse his Final Jump? I think the programmers of Brawl must have thought of it like an equalizer. Pit has a lot of weapons in his arsenal. He can fly, shoot and control projectiles, and has two reflectors. So maybe they thought they could even the playing field by not allowing Pit to recover his Wings of Icarus. I do know that if Pit gets hit within the first two seconds of using his final jump, he can use them again, but that is a very narrow spectrum for a jump recovery. The programmers could also have used the non-recovering Final Jump as a dry attempt at humor for those who know the story of Icarus, the boy who flew too close to the sun. Whatever the reason, the people who I play against always do whatever they can to "clip my wings" if I try to get back on the field. And most of the time they succeed, giving Pit another strike against his record.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
I did not know that Pit can't recover his recovery move.. I think its probably because it's the most maneuverable recovery jump in the game. By most maneuverable I mean like you can really control it. The creators probably thought that since it's such an evasive recovery move there was no point in allowing pit a chance to fully make it to the arena with ease. IMO

Aibou

Smash Master
Because if it could be used over and over, it would be completely broken. Imagine, Pit already can glide (with the fastest glide, mind you). Wings of Icarus travels far already. The fact that it's gimpable just leveled out the move. Making it reusable would make it too easy for Pit to recover.

Snake and Ike can get wrecked in recovery as well. If Snake gets grabbed out of his Up-B, he will have to blow himself up in order to recover. And Ike goes into freefall if his Side-B is intercepted.

There are characters that have much poorer recoveries. Be grateful that yours is still good.

Though I wouldn't mind MK's recovery being gimpable as well...

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The gimp of Icarus is a good thing, it stops his recovery from being so outrageous.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
The gimp of Icarus is a good thing, it stops his recovery from being so outrageous.
I agree with you Teran. Especially since Pit can Glide...most good Pits I've seen don't really even use the Wings, they just glide back or glide under the stage, grab the ledge etc.

Pitskeyblade I can understand why you'd be upset about it though...I mean, haha I use Ness. If you TOUCH my PKT I'm pretty much dead.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I did not know that Pit can't recover his recovery move.. I think its probably because it's the most maneuverable recovery jump in the game. By most maneuverable I mean like you can really control it. The creators probably thought that since it's such an evasive recovery move there was no point in allowing pit a chance to fully make it to the arena with ease. IMO
*cough*ROB's Recovery*cough*

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
It's to stop his recovery being ridiculously overpowered. Plus, if you're knocked off stage his glide and multiple mid-air jumps should be more than enough to return. I only know one Pit player personally, but he rarely needs to use his up-B.

Agreed.

R.O.B.'s eventually runs out, so Pit's "removable upon hit Up-B" isn't unique.
If ROB is hit during his Up-B though, he can use it a few more times though until it runs out.
Pit loses his after one hit, not multiple hits.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
how about to recover better I may be a melee player but I do know for a fact it's retartedly easy to sweetspot the edge you can be over 3 feer away and grab on it's nuts. That and all the air dodgeing crap and huge jigglypuff like recovery why is anyone whining? Heres a few things you could whin about no up-B or roy's up-B pichu sweetspot(it's the size of his head wtf?) and the fact he is hurt during for more BS.

Really a near broken recovery sounds amazing. plus you said pit has 2 refletors and an arrow so yeah he should nearly always recover.

AvengingTheKnight

Smash Apprentice
Pit can glide too pit can go around the stage twice lol.

If you can't recover you suck/ loljk

no really. :/

It's a shame that they didn't do this to Metaknight and his impossible recovery.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Basically, /thread.

Pit's recovery is QUITE good. He has multiple jumps, a glide, and a ridiculous Up B. The fact that it's easily gimiped only requires you to actually try and be skilled with his recovery.

His recovery is gimpable, but there are worse recoveries even without being gimped. Ike has a VERY hard time recovering, especially if you have horizontal and vertical distance to gain. His Side B only takes him horizontally, and his Up B takes him vertically very quickly to the extent that you can move horizontally very little.

Scott!

Smash Lord
What part are you questioning? Because that's definitely how ROB's recovery works. He's got a limited charge on his up-B that he can continue to draw from until he lands and recharges, or it runs out and he dies. And Pit does lose his after being hit once, so I'm not sure what you're questioning.

Merce

Smash Cadet
What part are you questioning? Because that's definitely how ROB's recovery works. He's got a limited charge on his up-B that he can continue to draw from until he lands and recharges, or it runs out and he dies. And Pit does lose his after being hit once, so I'm not sure what you're questioning.
My bad: posted on the way out the door.

I was asking about the second part... Pit's WoI. I knew I had seen pit "use" WoI twice in the air before, but I just checked it out. It only works if the start-up animation didn't complete the first time around, thus... you're right.

I had been under the impression that pit's WoI was analogous to Rob's... good to know.

Edit:

"This move is subject to diminishing returns if used less than two seconds after finishing it the first time (including landing, being interrupted, attacking, grabbing a ledge, or letting it run its course in the air) and initiating the second one. It will last for much less time if used this often, with a minimum time of about one second, but the exact duration depends on how quickly the move was reused; the sooner it is reused the less time it will last." -- Smash Wiki

That's precisely what I was thinking of: Running out Wings of Icarus by chillin' on the edge and using it repeatedly.

bobson

Smash Lord
I never thought I'd see someone complaining about Pit having a bad recovery.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Wow I just gooded at your sig wow that's epic as H***. Now I understand why people think i,m so D*** amazing cause I am. You my friend that may or maynot end up being a friend because the future can be hard to predict and control, understand funny.

Link should be able to up-B at least 7 times for it to be bad.

Top Bottom