• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Project M character should I play?

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Hey,
So I'm a hardcore Melee fan, and I just picked up a character I like in Brawl (Luigi pillars ftw).

I might give P:M a try, but it's a different game altogether, so I am 100% not going to play Falco/Fox/any Melee character I play, as well as Luigi in Brawl.

Since I don't want to spend as much time getting as competitive as I did with Melee, I'm looking for a relatively easy character to play without much tech skill (that time is reserved for Melee tech skill).

What's a fun character to play in P:M on a casual level (like competitive Brawl wifi casual)?

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
project M feels almost identical to melee with most of its vets like fox falcon etc.

so just pick one of them again.

if you are just absolutely hell bent though on not using one of your mains from melee though, try lucario or wario.

reason being both these characters were changed so drastically from brawl that they're worth trying out in P:M.

wario because he's almost entirely modeled after warioland wario, and not warioware wario like brawl was(nearly his entire moveset was changed)

lucario because he's meant to be a hybrid kind of character fo what a smash character might feel like if they had a more traditional fighting gmae moveset.

basically a lot of lucarios moves are on-hit cancelable, and are made to be followed up into each other, he's even got a couple of super powered moves based on how well you do(his aura from brawl was more or less based on how lousy u did, do crappier and get hit more in brawl, his power increases, in P:M, hit ur opponent more and link up ur moves more consistently, and u get a suped up special move.)

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The cool one.

Always ask whatever is the coolest thing to do so you know how to be cool.

If you want easy-modo characters, Wario has super meaty attacks and the silliest equalizer move in the game (A fully charged waft has nearly if not better than, rest knockback, and it's huge). Sheik and Falcon have lolautocombos all day and easy lead-ins to get them, Mario is all around super above average at everything, and has some of the biggest lenience for combo precision. Ike also has lolautocombos and kills at 70%, but requires knowledge of Brawl tech skill, has no OoS options, and his fastest option to get out of a juggle combo is on frame 16, fast, smart play makes him cry to his therapist as well. Dedede meanwhile is "flowcharty" and relies on decision making; making the right choice at the right time makes him frustratingly difficult to fight against, but without good decision making skills he opens himself up to some of the harshest combos in the game.

Life

Smash Hero
Try Wolf. Most of his tech carries over from/into Fox and Falco, and the general space animal-ness ought to feel familiar, but he's still very unique.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Like I said, I'm not trying to pick a character similar to Melee or Brawl.

Lucario seems out of the question because he actually takes game-specific effort to learn. I might try Puff actually, when I can just press buttons.

Ace55

Smash Lord
wario because he's almost entirely modeled after warioland wario, and not warioware wario like brawl was(nearly his entire moveset was changed)
Side-B, Fsmash, Dair and Bair to be more precise.

Character that are easy to pick up with basic Melee techskill?

Mario, Jiggs, Marth, Sheik, Zelda, Bowser, DK, Ike, Ganon, Dedede, Peach, G&W of the top of my head.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Watch some vids of good players, like Walk and Kizzu or the devs themselves. Notice what stands out about the new characters' moves, like Zard's nair or all the tech you can do with Ike's neutralB. Also watch old Melee videos, like from Waffles; not combo vids, just regular matches so you can understand and judge for yourself what is best for a certain character in different scenarios.

If you just wanna have fun though, D3, Link, Ganon and Ike (to an extent) are pretty simple and straightforward but really entertaining.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Watch some vids of good players, like Walk and Kizzu or the devs themselves. Notice what stands out about the new characters' moves, like Zard's nair or all the tech you can do with Ike's neutralB. Also watch old Melee videos, like from Waffles; not combo vids, just regular matches so you can understand and judge for yourself what is best for a certain character in different scenarios.

If you just wanna have fun though, D3, Link, Ganon and Ike (to an extent) are pretty simple and straightforward but really entertaining.
It's not like I don't watch those videos when I'm playing those two games. It's just that all 3 are entirely different games, and I won't watch PP vs Armada just to learn to play P:M, as well as Nietono vs M2K. I watch enough Melee videos, I'd probably watch more Brawl ones to learn the Brawl side of things.

On a side note, Olimar chucking stuff seems fun and simple too.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hey,
So I'm a hardcore Melee fan, and I just picked up a character I like in Brawl (Luigi pillars ftw).

I might give P:M a try, but it's a different game altogether, so I am 100% not going to play Falco/Fox/any Melee character I play, as well as Luigi in Brawl.

Since I don't want to spend as much time getting as competitive as I did with Melee, I'm looking for a relatively easy character to play without much tech skill (that time is reserved for Melee tech skill).

What's a fun character to play in P:M on a casual level (like competitive Brawl wifi casual)?
I was typing something that I thought might be helpful, but the turnip I'm using for Internet connection forced me off the internet and un-logged me. So that message is gone, but basically I recommend Zelda or Wario. Because they (to my knowledge) can be decent with a lower tech skil.

Note: these are just a couple options, with virtually every character being viable, the ones Ace55 mentioned work too. Zelda and Wario are just two of the better ones IMO.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
My first look at P:M:
http://youtu.be/C3EkoDKaVA0

I tried Puff and it's really fun to just press buttons instead of what I do above. I think I will go the way of the 'Box :-D

Also, what happened to the AI? It seemed like it got a lot easier than the Brawl ones, or maybe I just wasn't used to them.

All in all, it feels like Falco, Fox and Marth aren't as fun to play because most of the characters added are floatier and comboing doesn't seem as fun. Falcon is still quite entertaining to play, though. I'll try everyone else on a later date.

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
Lucario or Wolf, both are a blast to play and have some really cool revisions. Scoring scar KO's against your melee purist buddies is incredibly satisfying, at least the first few times.

Top Bottom