• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Pit players still do wrong after 4 years....

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
dawg sayin jon numbers could beat me is like saying you could beat tony t. we know im bad lol. and i agree i don't think cheese could handle me. not even because im better or worse it's just because i play even gayer against ICs than i do any other char. and coming from me that saying something.

and lol, pit ***** lucas.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Gerrad, its not about what's "possible". Its about the likeliness of it happening. Thats what makes the character not a national threat. A top pit player, even of Earth's calibur does not have the likelihood of coming out on top against a top marth, top falco, top olimar, top diddy kong, top ice climbers, and several top mks. He honestly can't compete like that. Solo pit wont ever win a national just like solo peach, fox, or wolf. Pit loses to too many characters.

:phone:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I actually think Solo Fox could probably win a national.

At least he has more of a shot than other characters.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
solo fox will run into an ice climber or any poketchu. I'm not even a top pika yet I'm not scared of that matchup even if its tkd or nkat

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Its hard but not impossible. Solo Wolf is better than Fox/Peach. And I feel Pit can be.at a higher level than any of those characters. I think Pit is a little bit worse in certain aspects but great at others.

Idk I think we havent reached the cieling with Pit, and many have given up, but I wont and I'm committed to seeing a Pit flourish at US events.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
dawg sayin jon numbers could beat me is like saying you could beat tony t. we know im bad lol. and i agree i don't think cheese could handle me. not even because im better or worse it's just because i play even gayer against ICs than i do any other char. and coming from me that saying something.

and lol, pit ***** lucas.
Real talk, don't underestimate John #s, he's actually pretty good...just lives in the toughest region lol.

But back to the topic of this topic, Pit is not good enough as a character to win a national solo :(

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Well one thing that you guys are forgetting. Its the player that matters more than character choice. Of course in this game, low tier doesnt have that great of a chance but even so characters like Ness/Sonic have reached top 8 at national events. Im still in belief that a top lvl player who can use all of Pits moveset to his potential can win a national. I think they will need to play extremely LAME though in order to compensate for the harder matchups.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
They placed top 8 but do they win? You're talking about winning, as in losing no more than one set which a solo pit player wont do. Any top tier that knows the matchup will take out a pit player. You say its the player but if you want to make that excuse the player has to be leagues better than everyone else to win it all. Essentially perfect and humans cant be consistently perfect in a 5-6 hour long tournament.

Coffee™

I need it....
In November?

Everyone's getting for WABA at that month. But I'm pretty sure something bound to happen in December.
I doubt I'll make it up there for December but idk, we'll see.

Testing with Pit:
- For the sake of the argument, let's say one became an elite player in terms of ability to win as an asset that transcended character choice or at least operated as an independent variable.
- Does Pit have a hard counter? I would think MK would be our worst matchup. Normally I go ICs against MK and I think that MU is bad (between slight disadv to soft counter), so from my frame of reference, I feel it's worse than ICs which is pretty bad on being countered scale.
- Pit does not have a favorable top tier matchup spread, so it's statistically unlikely that a Pit player could win repeatedly over many bracket sets, especially later in bracket.

However, does this mean that the Pit player needs a secondary? Not in particular because outside of MK there doesn't feel like there are any horrid matchups that need "covering". It just seems that a Pit player is resigning themselves to mediocrity (like one outside the money) based on ceiling, but the floor for the character solo is rather high in terms of not worrying about running into that "unfortunate bracket". True to his nature, he's lower risk but lower reward.

Don't get me wrong, I love the character and play him still despite him being in my opinion mediocre. However, the characters that win are the ones that offer equal risk but higher reward on blind pick
So much truth in one post.......:reverse:

Idk I think we havent reached the cieling with Pit
No one has even come close.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i need help with metaknight. in a few days probably all of Ascension 3's videos will be uploaded. i keep losing to ****ing metaknights. last ascension i lost to bc and illmatic's metaknight, and this time i lost to bc and pwii. when those 2 new vids get uploaded im posting them in here for you to watch. ****ing mk

edit: illmatic told me i would have ***** his peach. but ill admit he's a bit out of practice

Coffee™

I need it....
Ok on to the next issue.

Why do Pit players not know how to jump properly up to now?

Seriously it boggles my mind when I watch vids of you guys and you constantly get juggled, or gimped or simply even just hit because you can't get back to the ground safely. Pit has 4 jumps and can glide....ffs why do most of you guys always try to airdodge into opponents or land near to them so you can "attempt" to attack.

Pit forces characters to approach him. Not saying you can't approach with him but situation resets tend to favor Pit against most characters because he can simply make them approach him again if you so choose.

A lot of you guys also tend to waste his jumps needlessly when trying to recover too and get gimped because you're forced to use WoI.

Like seriously......learn to land.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Pit players don't follow bad pit players. They would either follow good pit players, find out new techniques and etc from any particular pit player, make themselves good by doing it themselves like practicing spacing, reads, and so forth. Combine them all together, and that's how you'll learn to be a pretty good player. Or at least try.

Gadiel, I don't really play pit. But I've seen the same things going on for all players, specifically bad habits and unwise choices. I Will try to help you the best way possible on that when I get on my Mac, but I gotta finish some things I pretty much need to deal with until Friday. You may even give a PM to C.J. and see if he can help as well.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Pit players don't follow bad pit players. They would either follow good pit players, find out new techniques and etc from any particular pit player, make themselves good by doing it themselves like practicing spacing, reads, and so forth. Combine them all together, and that's how you'll learn to be a pretty good player. Or at least try.

Gadiel, I don't really play pit. But I've seen the same things going on for all players, specifically bad habits and unwise choices. I Will try to help you the best way possible on that when I get on my Mac, but I gotta finish some things I pretty much need to deal with until Friday. You may even give a PM to C.J. and see if he can help as well.
wrong again.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
There aren't Pits in Cali besides Admiral who is only wifi and I don't think many look up to him. Kiraflax moved to socal I think, but he's more Arizona to me. Not like anyone looks up to him either really.

Go type "Pit Brawl 2012" in youtube.
There is just a bunch of hockey and motocross vids when I type in that search queue. At least I know I'm not doing anything wrong since none of my vids showed up from that :awesome:

Coffee™

I need it....
He might have meant Admiral. Pretty sure he was just trolling anyway.

And btw you're no exception Luckay...lol. If you like I can go into detail. As for Youtube. I specifically look up pit players names and watch their videos. You guys aren't all that hard to find lol and I wasn't being serious in my previous post. :reverse:

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
He might have meant Admiral. Pretty sure he was just trolling anyway.

And btw you're no exception Luckay...lol. If you like I can go into detail. As for Youtube. I specifically look up pit players names and watch their videos. You guys aren't all that hard to find lol and I wasn't being serious in my previous post. :reverse:
There's a difference between Trolling and expressing a fact. My god, is no allowed to criticize ANYONE anymore? because criticizing anyone is considered trolling no MATTER what they do. but you drone fanboys can think like that :)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I still can't even think of you as an actual smasher lol. What are you talking about anyway? Do you really think people look up to Admiral Pit? Maybe gerrad, but he is oblivious lol.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
I still can't even think of you as an actual smasher lol. What are you talking about anyway? Do you really think people look up to Admiral Pit? Maybe gerrad, but he is oblivious lol.
gerrad? I don't even play anymore so I wouldn't call myself a "smasher" and if anyone does look up to him I pity them, you're the few Pit players that play the character with skill and talent. But still Pit is falling down the tier list because of bad play and players.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Like seriously......learn to land.
What I don't see people doing is using WoI to get down
Seriously that thing gets you down faster than Dedede's fast fall and you still have your aerials to cover yourself (mainly bair). Plus you can stall in the air and have jigglypuff's horizontal mobility.
This is mainly useful if they're chasing you in the air, if they're not just retreat to a platform of the ledge or something and camp.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
who are the best pit players? i watched a combo video and i thought pit can do pretty cool things

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
who are the best pit players? i watched a combo video and i thought pit can do pretty cool things
Masashi is also really good to learn from. He does better in top tier matchups imo than Earth. His control of Pit is a bit better than Earths but Earth's arrow control and ability to get into an opponents mind is top notch.

I'm eager to hear more of what R@vyn has to say, but I feel we can do much better with Pit as our skill level & knowledge of the game increases. Pit basically rewards your skill, no more or less. His main gimmicks that can turn a match around in his favor is his ability to play safe, strong camp game, and some air camping/planking tactics. One needs a strong mindset to play at a top level with Pit and must not be afraid to play Lame in order to win matches.

Esca

Smash Champion
I think Pit players are looking at the character too 2-dimensionally. There's only two modes in their heads. Camp, or go in. The key to success is to playing in the middle of those two spectrums, which therein makes the character a little harder to play. Another thing I see most often is Pit's not commiting to the situation once they finally do have better stage positioning.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I think Pit players are looking at the character too 2-dimensionally. There's only two modes in their heads. Camp, or go in. The key to success is to playing in the middle of those two spectrums, which therein makes the character a little harder to play. Another thing I see most often is Pit's not commiting to the situation once they finally do have better stage positioning.
Truth, I have been trying more of this and it makes Pit very hard to fight, because there is constant pressure whether its ur camp game or attacks or even jumping around looking for an opening.

Also @ Abe, there really is no proof who is better between Earth & Masashi because they place the exact same @ big tournaments. I just think Masashi is better, and he still plays, just not as much.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
The thing about using woi to get down is that if Pit gets knocked off stage after a woi he can't recover. Also thinking you have aerials to defend youself is not smart, Pit's aerials are slow and have low priority so most characters can react to a woi and punish then Pit is dead. If you are safe enough that they can't get to you before you reach the ground then most of the time using woi in the first place wasn't really necessary.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The thing about using woi to get down is that if Pit gets knocked off stage after a woi he can't recover. Also thinking you have aerials to defend youself is not smart, Pit's aerials are slow and have low priority so most characters can react to a woi and punish then Pit is dead. If you are safe enough that they can't get to you before you reach the ground then most of the time using woi in the first place wasn't really necessary.
Pit's aerials are slow (well, dair and bair aren't exactly slow), but fair and dair at least cover a lot of space, if your opponent is just recklessly trying to hit you they'll easily be beaten out, if not it tends to be a lot easier to get down in the first place (or you can just retreat to a platform/the ledge) Sometimes you'll need to bait them into coming after you, then you can double jump > up-b safely to avoid them and get down.

And there are definitely situations where using WoI will get you in a better position than just trying to get down with double jumps.
Like if I use an example from the set posted earlier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVA8SSn7BnY) at around 10:38 directly after the glide cyve could have up-b'd to get back centre stage control rather than having to land on the smashville platform, as Leon couldn't jump up to him in time (having just used his double jump and having to land on the smashville platform)

Idk I just think up-b is underrated as a movement option.

Top Bottom