• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What move do you just HAVE to use?

GALE 14

Smash Journeyman
You're joking, right?

In case you're not, in the standard controls push the Jellow Pillar of No-Skill down and you'll Dsmash. you can also do it by pressing the control stick down and A at the same time.

OHHH..... MAN that was a JOKE :laugh:

TheMike

Smash Lord
I'm kinda trying not to use d-smash, kinda sandbagging, Kind OS' soulcrushing. Me and my best friend kinda try and develop our characters without "****" moves. i'm developing my ROB with out a TON of dsmash/ Nair/camping, but I can use them. He develops his pikachu without really abusing dsmash or thunder, so when we play against a tough opponent and we use those moves we feel better. xD And it's funny because I don't camp with my ROB; i'm more aggro, so when I camp even minimally people that play me often are like OMG SPAM! and I'm thinking "I'm not spamming, I just don't play conventional ROB", or if I use dsmash in a match more then I usually do they get really ticked off. Most of this is online though, I haven't played against anyone with any real skill down in FL. (I'm trying to meet w/ someone but its kinda tough)

What I guess I'm trying to say is to not use moves like dsmash if you don't have to- it helps you discover your character, and if you can get good without dsmash then it seems even MORE deadly when you do use it. My friend plays a beastly pikachu, and he doesn't abuse dmsmash or thunder, doesn't even know pikachu has CGs(I'm not planning on telling him +.+) and doesn't do QAC trixies either. So when he plays against someone really good, or someone who spams well he becomes even more deadly. I rarely camp on less I'm on Japes facing Snake, and the one time I really camped I was amazed. was on wifi with said pikachu(like- no lag) he had 2 lives with 80& and I had 1 with 40%. I started camping HARD, and I uthrowed him off the top of FD for his last stock. I had 180% and he had 160%. I was amazed.
If there's something that helps u a lot, i think u should start using it. I know that it's good when u see that u r doing well something that nobody did before, but u'll probably find more difficulties. What i want to say is that it's better findind an easier way to win IMO

And Dsmash is perfect OoS, for punishes, rack up good damage considering u wont keep it fresh for kills and it also put the opponent at a bad position(depending on the opponent) giving u juggle options.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
If there's something that helps u a lot, i think u should start using it. I know that it's good when u see that u r doing well something that nobody did before, but u'll probably find more difficulties. What i want to say is that it's better findind an easier way to win IMO

And Dsmash is perfect OoS, for punishes, rack up good damage considering u wont keep it fresh for kills and it also put the opponent at a bad position(depending on the opponent) giving u juggle options.

I know its easier normally, but thats the POINT. But the point is If I can beat people with OUT
using Dsmash, then I can unleash it as a "secret weapon" when I need to. Kinda like training for boxing using a glove thats heavier then normal, so when you use normal gloves you feel lighter and faster.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I know its easier normally, but thats the POINT. But the point is If I can beat people with OUT
using Dsmash, then I can unleash it as a "secret weapon" when I need to. Kinda like training for boxing using a glove thats heavier then normal, so when you use normal gloves you feel lighter and faster.
I think u need to play against better people. I'm not criticizing ur opponents, but Dsmash is essential for ROB.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
I think u need to play against better people. I'm not criticizing ur opponents, but Dsmash is essential for ROB.
I probably do.:laugh: I'm not saying I don't use it, I just don't abuse it. I use it alright, my I try not to use it as my "main" move, if you get what i'm saying.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well there's your problem. You should abuse it. Why? Dsmash isn't a viable kill move, and it is a great damage racker and punisher, so why the hell WOULDN'T you abuse it?

:026:

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
to lure them into a false sense of security

and then POW

right in the kisser
^ Exactly.
Kinda like if an MK can beat you without gimping, any sort of edgeguarding, whorenado, and shuttle loop, then you know your ******.

Well there's your problem. You should abuse it. Why? Dsmash isn't a viable kill move, and it is a great damage racker and punisher, so why the hell WOULDN'T you abuse it?

:026:
This post is win

Popertop

Smash Champion
it's more a versatility and style issue than anything.

I mean, if you can master another way of playing ROB, and have it available to switch to on the fly to confuse the opponent, isn't that good?

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
it's more a versatility and style issue than anything.

I mean, if you can master another way of playing ROB, and have it available to switch to on the fly to confuse the opponent, isn't that good?
I like you.:)
Kinda like how I normally play an aggro ROB with nonabusive dsmash, but CAN play a campy rob with abusive dmash.

D3w3y

Smash Cadet
Spot dodge --> D smash obviously

But I use Bair way too much, when I'm knocked high I recover with it, I'll approach backwards with it, always go for a stage spike and short hop fast fall it. I just think it's such a good move, disjointed, strong and self retreating.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Conditioning is where it's at. Don't 180 your style mid-match, change it subtly so they won't notice.
That's probably a better idea.
But what you do? Slowly kinda shuffle out your moves/move frequencies around like 120% on second stock at three stocks? That seems kinda like a good point imo, kinda start then and go full fledged 180 on last stock?

Sudai

Stuff here
Basically what you want to do is react the same exact way 70-90% of the time in a situation where you -could- hit with a kill move, but you hit with something else or purposefully put yourself in a position to get punished. Never put yourself in a position to get punished too badly, though. It's..hard to explain it in good detail because you have to do it differently for every person you fight and you tend to have to do it differently against each person you play too. Iunno, it's something you really have to learn.

What I said in the thing you quoted isn't actually conditioning, but the statement still holds. Subtle changes over stocks/a set is good on top of conditioning as well.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Basically what you want to do is react the same exact way 70-90% of the time in a situation where you -could- hit with a kill move, but you hit with something else or purposefully put yourself in a position to get punished. Never put yourself in a position to get punished too badly, though. It's..hard to explain it in good detail because you have to do it differently for every person you fight and you tend to have to do it differently against each person you play too. Iunno, it's something you really have to learn.

What I said in the thing you quoted isn't actually conditioning, but the statement still holds. Subtle changes over stocks/a set is good on top of conditioning as well.
One of friends that plays link likes to spam the boomerang>arrow combo, and after a ******** amount of times him using I'm really good at dodging it. So he's in Fsmash kill % and I know it's coming so instead of dodging it and fsmashing him, if I'm going from aggro to campy use dsmash instead?

Sudai

Stuff here
Well, if you see an opportunity for a KO, take it. lol Conditioning will only work once for the instance you're conditioning against a good player. Getting a stock > conditioning. Conditioning is preparing someone to lose a stock, taking a stock is actually taking it, haha. However, if he's not at a kill percent, let it hit you every now and then. It won't be much damage, but it'll make him think it's a good option so he'll keep doing it till you're ready to kill him.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Well, if you see an opportunity for a KO, take it. lol Conditioning will only work once for the instance you're conditioning against a good player. Getting a stock > conditioning. Conditioning is preparing someone to lose a stock, taking a stock is actually taking it, haha. However, if he's not at a kill percent, let it hit you every now and then. It won't be much damage, but it'll make him think it's a good option so he'll keep doing it till you're ready to kill him.
I get it. So like kinda randomly sandbag?

stealthwarrior17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2938-7216-1604
Besides Dsmash, I like to always Dthrow and then jump into Uair or Nair...mostly Uair because I always score a hit.

Spin that TOP!!! GyRO!

TheMike

Smash Lord
Besides Dsmash, I like to always Dthrow and then jump into Uair or Nair...mostly Uair because I always score a hit.

Spin that TOP!!! GyRO!
Yeah, Dthrow to Uair is better. I prefer to save my KO Moves to get kills, and Nair isn't really guaranteed. With Uair u'll at least get some hits(as u said), and if that hits make a down knockback, i Fast Fall > Dsmash.

U can aso perform Dsmash > Uair(Down knockback) > Fast Fall > Dsmash again at low %s.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Yeah, Dthrow to Uair is better. I prefer to save my KO Moves to get kills, and Nair isn't really guaranteed. With Uair u'll at least get some hits(as u said), and if that hits make a down knockback, i Fast Fall > Dsmash.

U can aso perform Dsmash > Uair(Down knockback) > Fast Fall > Dsmash again at low %s.
Uair- has down knockback?o.o

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Actually, it isn't a "down knockback". It just doesn't give much knockback, but it depends on the hits that hits ur opponent.
Okay. If u-sair had down knockback it could open up a lot of possibilities. I think. :laugh:

Bair, I use it more frequently than my laser. I'm assuming that's a bad thing.
Not exactly.;) Do you play campy or aggro? If yo play aggro, then its good. Campy...:ohwell:

TheMike

Smash Lord
Okay. If u-sair had down knockback it could open up a lot of possibilities. I think. :laugh:
Especially if you Fast Fall. Dsmash(as I said on the other post) is an example or simpy shield and wait for what your opponent is going to do and try to punish him.

Top Bottom