• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes the best controller?

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
So I know that the best controller for melee usually has a responsive control stick and worn in buttons, but I've had very little luck achieving this combo. I've been told by many people that replacing the control stick cap can fix a worn out control stick, but this only seemed to work a little bit for me. Does anyone know the ideal condition for a controller to be in, and how I could get mine like that?

Quic

Smash Journeyman
Just get a new controller and play with it a lot, it will break in in all the right places. When I just got my original controller it was really stiff, but now the control stick is just loose enough for me, and the button's are really comfortable.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
As long as everything is responsive and you're comfortable with your controller's feel, you should be fine. I want to emphasize the latter, as I'm much more comfortable with my old, dilapidated controller than I am with other, seemingly better controllers.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Pretty much what Fly said; as long as it does what you want it to do you should be fine.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
from my experience new controllers take about a year until they break in. also there is no best controller. its important that it feels comfortable to you. for instance a fox controller would break in differently than a sheik controller.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
how does one replace the control stick cap???
also it takes no where near a year to break in a controller
open up your controller and you can pull the cap right off, you can use one from another controller.

mine first one took a few months to be decent (3-4) and it was when I getting my techskill consistant (with fox/falco esp) so it got extra hours.

now I am fairly indifferent how a controller feels as long as it does what I tell it to. I do prefer a snappy joystick now, more accurate dd'ing and control over aerial spacing :p

joeplicate

Smash Master
the best controller is the one you can do the most moves with

meaning, basically the one you're most comfortable with

Zodiac

Smash Master
I prefer the stiffness of the new controllers it gives me better control over my characters. And buttons that click but dont sink.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Oddly enough, I have a controller I use that all of my friends complain about the A Button sticking... But it doesnt really "stick". I mean, after you press it, the button stays DOWN but isn't pressing the button to make it do an A Attack. I dunno, I like it. Makes attacks faster.

Artificial Sol

Smash Rookie
I've been using the GCC that came with the system for nine years.
I've replaced the shells a few times, but it's still the same, but the
joy stick is RIDICULOUSLY loose. It really ****s me up a lot.

I would prefer a new GCC controller than an old, or semi-old one.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
One that functions properly, without malfunctioning buttons/joysticks. Most importantly, something that is durable. Like a ****ing xbox controller, those things are like tanks lol. gc controllers cant keep up with smashers and always wear out.

Mind_Assassins

Smash Cadet
Xbox controllers are indeed ****ing tanks. I've used the casing for a modded bb tank I had.
I prefer a joystick that is smooth enough to move quicky, but rigid enough that it'll go back to the neutral position and not go back halfway.

RTpmwe

Smash Cadet
A perfect B button is the most important thing in a controller. Anything else just doesn't matter.

Top Bottom