• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What it takes to be a high skilled/professional player

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I made this post in another thread around here. And thought it would be some good insite. So decided to turn it into a thread. This is how I see it.

I'll say this. For this game, those that played melee already aquired the skills to get good cause brawl is not as hard a s melee to get good at.

But in general (ignoring characters cause lets face it some people are not too bright and get away with stuff cause of thier character, like meta) There is many things that lead to being high skilled.

Switching up:
I'll say this first. If you are doing one thing and your opponent keeps getting beat up for it, don't stop. This may seem stupid but it is true. You are putting more work and risking screwing up if you just change your game plan. it is working so why stop? Now outside of this, it is best to know when to switch up. If you are getting abused for one thing, change it. if your opponent is catching on do something else. or keep doing what you are doing and mix it up in between. Stratigic play is important. its never about going in and swinging attacks hoping to get a hit. Don't base things on luck. Know that you are gonna hit, not hope.

Observation:
A play has to pay attention to what the enemy is doing. Even people like M2K have habits. He is not that much of a god as people think. EVERYONE has a habit. Wether big or small. So it's best to see what your opponent is doing. Don't just go and and do something to try and hit them. Abuse what your oponnent is doing. This helps you land a hit better. Cause there is a pattern within their play style. And this can tell you many things:

- How to hit them
- When to hit them
- When he will strike
- Where he will go
- What he will and will not do
- What can you do and not do

Just some examples. Those that play RPG games, you can kinda refer it to this. You know those pain in the *** bosses. You can't just go in tapping a button or use any type of magic to deal damage. You will get ***** for it. Bosses have diffeent straits, pattenrs and even thier own strats. So you have to see how they are and then from what you gather, you can know what works and does not work.

Strats:
People like to go into thier enemy and dish out an attack. And never plan how they gonna do it to begin with. A skilled player wont do that. The will first observe thier enemy. Next on the info that they gathered, they will figure out a way to land hits based on thier habits and patterns. Example, I am fighting a lucario, and he loves to roll to no end. So it be pretty stupid to rush in throwing attacks when the fool is just gonna roll away and I am open for a hit. So I know he rolls alot. Now That I figured out this habit, I can think of a way to counter that. And I do. I go near the fool, and do nothing. I Fsmash the other way, and he rolls into it. Mission complete. Now if he is gonna keep rolling cause he obviously has no better option or has no clue what to do better, I keep doing things like that.

Obvsere, plan, execute.

Control:
Control the match is also very important. When you have the lead, keep it. When one has the lead, the enemy has to do more work than you to catch up. They are in risk of losing. Not you. So Learn how to keep the lead and at the same time, not take too many hits while fighting to lose it. if can do this, you are controling the match. You are beating your enemy and not allowing him to bring it back. Even if you are at high % and in risk of getting K.O.

Taking control:
No one is perfect. So there will be times when you lose it. Smart players know how to take control of a match if they are losing. Thus to take a lead in it. And no, it is not bum rushing your opponent to K.O him and catch up. That is not taking control. Cause this could have lead to you losing to begin with. Reckless manners don't get you the lead against one that is in control. he is in control for a reason. You have to figure out a way to gain that control without taking to many hits and risky death. cause remember, he is in the safe zone right now. You are not. And while this may seem bad for you, it can also be bad for the emeny. Cause he can't just chill. He has to keep in control of the match.And the way you plan your strat to get at them can make the enemy lose it.

Learn your character:
I dont care if you are Ganon. Learning your character and how they work is key to being skilled. Playing a character and knowining 50% about them is not good. Go for 100%. Knwoing all your options helps you give a better view of what you can and cant do. That way you wont try anything stupid, die and then sit there thinking "the hell, how that happen" You mean you did not know how or why it happen? Thats not good. You should never have to question yourself with the character you are controlling.

Learn the enemy:
Knowing the enemy is very important. Not just your character alone. It's like you have a beast as water pokemon. But you gonna send them to fight a thunder one. And your reason for that was cause you did not know that Thunder recks water. M2K is like this. He knows all his options with Meta. But he did not know the simple things. and does not know how to fight diddy. Thus he loses to them. So knowing only your character is half the job done. The enemy is important as well. Like snake. He is nearly a sitting duck in the air. Snake does not wanna be in the air alot. Now that you know this, you check with all the options you know your character has. Then you can figure out how to get snake in the air and how to abuse him while he is up there.

Knowing how the game works:Learning the laws of the game give you a better universal idea of options you can do in the game. frame data helps with this for one thing. You know what you can do on the shield and what you can/cant get punished with. You know how long you can stay on the edge without getting hit. Thus you can time when to get off the ledge and do a perfect edgehog. Cause you might of gotten up too early when you still have some invic frames left to stay on, and your enemy falls to his death. This also applies to stages. learn how they work. If you can control a stage you are much better off then you think. Abuse stages and turn them into you playground. Thats what I did with Battle field. And meta knights hate fight me there. As well as a few othet characters. A basic stage that I turned into a true counterpick for me. To a point people ban it against me.

Pressure/focus:
Skilled players dont crack under pressure too much. I mean it is bound to happen. We are all human. But if you can keep the focus up when if your enemy has three stocks and you have one, then you are good and can still bring it back. How you ask? If you are asking me this, then you have not been pay attention to what I beem saying up till this point. Don't play with fear. At like the match just started.

Tech skills:
They do play a role in this game. How big the role is depends on your character. If you can pull off all the hard tech skills and good timing, then you are good to go. And will do more damage than usual. Some characters are basic and dont have anything. others have a fe and others have alot. Best to get them all down if you really wanna beast.

Reaction time:
Now I am not saying you need to have godly reaction time. Just not a crappy one. Like I had a Match and I was combing someone with Peach into a dsmash. The Dsmash sent them behind me. I did not turn the other way yet. When they landed behind me,the opponent tech rolled infromt of me. Once he did I instaly grabbed him on point. I had no clue he was gonna roll towards me at all. I just saw it happen and instantly knew to just grab him. So good reaction speed like that helps alot.

Paying attention to %

*- If some already seen this section in my other thread excuse this then, but I still think is is important to know and counts alot towards being highly skilled.

For one thing I noticed that people don't tend to pay much attanetion to ether their damage of the opponents. They just wiff attacks and then hope they will kill thier opponent without paying much attention to what % they are on. The damage on a character can give you so many signals on what to do and not do. This game has laws and is played by a concept. You can't just break that cause you want things to end fast or HOPE to get lucky to win. As broken as this game may be, it still has laws that people must follow if they wanna win.

What can I do/not do?

Depending on what Percent you enemy is on, you can tell what combos, attacks can link up well. You can't go for the same thing all the time at any percent. Like for example (I may be wrong) At low percent, I think wolf can Nair>shine Grab/attack and it will all connect. But at Mid Percent and above, that is not happening, so after a Nair, do something else. Doing things at any percent over and over can leave you open. it is not a typical fighting game where no matter how the damage bar is, you can't just link anything over and over. I have made it out of combos or DI out of them cause of people trying to do things at % that they should have not been doing.

Risk Factor

People tend to go for risking things at any percent they are on. if you are at 150 and Jiggs, would it be a good idea to try and go for a rest combo on snake? You screw up and that is a stock. it be best to try it when you are on low percent where his attacks can't kill you. if jiggs is a bad example cause of how light she is, then use this example with middle weight characters and risky combos/set up that could take a stock from the enemy. Now if You somehow land the rest combo at 150, then more power to you. but be aware of the risk you put yourself in and how it is not something to go hunrgy for. People are not perfect and they do screw up. That could have been your time you would have died. But I am not by any means saying you can't take any risk. Sometimes you have to. Just realize what % you are in and what can happen if you screw up.

When to die

As many of you know already. with this game, moves get weak, and people live longer cause of it. So here is what people should be doing:

- Learn when thier character will die at what percent
- When will the enemies character will die and at what %
- What stage are you on.
- Where exatly on the stage you are when you land a kill move.
- Options you have to kill your enemy
- Options enemy has to kill you
- The difficulty of ether of you landing these moves.
- The speed/hitbox of the moves.

Here is advice I used in my Peach guide for killing with her. This can also appy to other characters as well.

"Save your moves that you need for killing. Use lots of jabs, get damage off of grabbing. When you grab them don't always launch them so fast. Kick them a few good times then toss them. N-air cant kill so well so use that alot. Dair helps since its not a Kill move. Space dtilts. And turnips. Once you get them to a good % Now you can fely on your kills moves like Fsmash and Up smash. Your fair and bairs, even upairs. uptilt as well. Try to save your most important moves to kill. Cause when you get them to that good %, all of your kill moves will be at full power. And it will be less of a struggle to kill

At 50% and over, you really can't combo into anything. if you was to Fthrow them and Back throw them, then what. They are out of your range. and have to repeat the process of approaching them again. When you up throw them, They are over you, you can use turnips to at least hit them, or make it harder for them to touch the floor. And set up to land an attack on them. This is the more better ways to hit someone after a throw. This is center stage though. Near the edge you can just toss them out. but with some characters, Like DDD, DK, you are not gonna kill them off of a throw. So the hell with that right? Toss them up and get extra hits of of turnips, and even if that dont hit, they have to worry about evading them and then you hitting them while trying to land saftley to the floor. They will still Be in your attack range for turnips and even finishers more than any other throw at 50%+
"

Now with that said, Pay attention to your enemies %. If they are not at the danger % with thier character, then they are not gonna be dieing. So don't go using moves that you will be needing to kill with. Use moves that you can get damage with but don't kill with your character. Trying to end them early will cost your kill moves to be stale. And these fools will be living longer they they should be when you moves are at full power. I have seen even the smartest players make this mistake too many times. Pay attenting to the enemies percent. and don't go on the asult to get rid of them early. This game has laws that can't be bent or changed. Learn how this game works.

Also Pay attention to YOUR %. When you are at that danger % with your character, it is time for you to die. Your opponent will be out to finish you off. Now this can be a scary process and can get people nervous. I know it does to me. But remember this list I made above:

- Learn when thier character will die at what percent
- When will the enemies character will die and at what %
- What stage are you on.
- Where exatly on the stage you are when you land a kill move.
- Options you have to kill your enemy
- Options enemy has to kill you
- The difficulty of ether of you landing these moves.
- The speed/hitbox of the moves

This applies to you and the enemy, remember this. So with that said and you have all this down. You know what to look for. You know what moves will be finishing you off. You will also know how easy/hard it would be to land these moves. Now you can figure out a strat in the match to look out for these moves and dish out your own attacks. That way You can still pound your opponent and feel safe at a dangerous %. And when you are at high Percent, don't rush to land moves or grabs. one mistake can end you. Take it easy. You may be in daganer, but Don't kill yourself. Your enemy has to do it. And it is up to you to allow them to kill you or not. Just play the match as if you had nothing to worry about, same time be cautious about your % and risk of deaths. Some people tend to get greedy when you are at high %. Abuse that if they do. That could be thier biggiest downfall. Switching up your style when at high percent can help as well to dish out damage and still reduce the risk of dieing.

Ledge attacks

Some people tend to forget about % and ledge attacking. You get 2 types of ledge attacks when over and under 100%. So when on the eldge and you wanna do one. Think to yourself if this ledge attack at this percent is a good idea. If not, don't go for it. If so, then go for it.

Thats about it. Your % can be a guide and key to your victory. It can tell you things you can/cant do. And what to look out for. So it should not be used as something to state how Far you will be sent off the stage. it can help you in many ways to win a match. Even looking at your enemes percent. Cause you will also know his reward/risk factor. And his options. it wopuld also help if you know the match up with your character fully and know all about the enemies character in general.

I think that is all that I got as of now. Hope this helps.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
True stuff. I've played a few great players, and you always get the feeling that they are studying your every move. Playing by observation and not by auto-pilot is needed for success, especially for characters who fall easily into patterns like Diddy or Snake

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah... Mario lives and dies by all of this. Good read, people that are inexperienced with tournaments can learn a lot by this.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
good read you should add something about zoning as well thats so important in high level play in this game.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
I would (personally) also add something (could go in the 'Learn your Character' or 'Learn the Enemy' sections or both), about knowing what your best punishments are for certain situations.

Example: You're Peach and your opponent is Marth. Marth makes a mistake by dtilting your shield when not spaced properly. You now have 7 frames to react (non-tipper). You could:

If you have a turnip: turnip toss OoS and attempt a combo.
If you don't have a turnip: shieldgrab (everything else is too slow)

Your options are limited because you only have 7 frames, so you need to know what you can do to punish small-lag moves.

As opposed to fighting, say, a Luigi on FD who messes up and whiffs an upB. You have an eternity to punish, and this is a golden opportunity, so you should lay the damage on as thickly as you can. Probably charge an Usmash if they're at kill percents, your best combo otherwise, etc.

Know your punishments.

Otherwise, nice post, I enjoyed reading it.

Edit: I ironically goofed on the punishment for dtilt lol.

Kimbo Strife

Smash Rookie
First time here and I took a minute to read upon this as I'm not a good player at all and was looking for tips. :D Thanks.

MJG

Smash Hero
Good Stuff.

That section on switching up was the most significant to me since I tend to have traps/follow ups with my character and I like to switch them up (Even when they are working consistently). I need to NOT do this :)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Good read. I'll also deliver what I feel is the best tip ever said by a smasher, first quoted by the legendary Isai- "Don't jump into the ****". I suppose one could argue this falls into the "Know thy enemy" category. It's as important as knowing your own character. Understand what kind of character your opponent is playing, and figure out their playstyle. Then, don't you ever fall for their mindgames or let yourself get punished. Follow those rules, and you can't lose.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You know you just could have written "go read the links in the ressource sticky", people would recieve a better amount of knowledge and they wouldn't have to read all those purple typos.

Seriously, there's nothing false in this thread but it's all already been written (in white) and linked in Vyse's sticky.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
This. Is. Amazing. It is exactly what I need in my game. Thank you so much for posting this up. I'll definitely be reading this again and again so it sinks in. :link:

PZ

Smash Lord
"Your options offstage could lead to death or a gimp either way make sure its a safe option your choosing."said thaoriginchu. Umz sry about the quoteation marks i learn about them just tuesday or monday im very inexperienced in reading and writing its part of the black in me not being racists or anything. Nice guide i think the kill moves and frame data might help me of course combos i know very well but if im versatile with pikachu then ill most likely keep trying to see if something new is a combo and sometimes it is or not.:( I may have no wifi and john about not going to a tournament but i can steal practice stuff every now and then but im having problems with dragonic reverse as yoshi.

Wingless

Smash Cadet
That was incredibly insightful. Wow. I mean, it seems like it should be common sense, but at least now I'll make a mental note to remember all that stuff.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
~ Great read, applying all of this information is the hard part. Very good for starters as well as intermediate players.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
That was a very good read Dark Peach.
I can see you put a ton of effort into this.

Trott

Smash Rookie
Nice read. I found the sections on observation and watching percentages very helpful!

Don't let anyone who says that this is already stated in other stickies get you down. It's always nice to hear things from different perspectives and said in different ways to help drive a point home.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Good and true stuff.

Spacing means jack if you can't read and predict your opponent.

theCook

Smash Cadet
Why the first post says more than "practice" is beyond me.

Maybe "Practice a lot".

But yeah.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Amazing stuff. I'm looking forward to applying this in my game now. Thank you a bunch!

You should add something about DI, because it really saves your butt if you do it right. =D And some players (Like me at one point) don't know what it is. =(

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm surprised the cracking under pressure section isn't longer. *Shrugs* I wish there less reference's of m2k and more references about your self. But whatever I guess. Decent read non the less.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
No I am not. I would not make it in there cause I am emo and not as good as a player as I use to be. I don't have good debating skills and don't and dont know alot outside my character or this game(so they think).

This is stuff I have hear. I was gonna fill out the app to get into it but it be a waste of time. I'm not BBR material according to them.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No I am not. I would not make it in there cause I am emo and not as good as a player as I use to be. I don't have good debating skills and don't and dont know alot outside my character or this game(so they think).

This is stuff I have hear. I was gonna fill out the app to get into it but it be a waste of time. I'm not BBR material according to them.
What a crap attitude to have? How do you know whether or not you'll be accepted with out even first trying? I guess it's better to give up before even putting forth any effort.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I feel you only need determination. In Brawl or Melee at least, as a whole it really doesn't take so much skill in the end, you just keep adding more and more over time. It's all about how much time you put into it, and the players you play and what you learn. Sorry if that offends anyone, but all the best players started out as ****.

You have good advice but I don't think you can become one by reading tips.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
What a crap attitude to have? How do you know whether or not you'll be accepted with out even first trying? I guess it's better to give up before even putting forth any effort.
If I was told by people from the BBR themselves that I dont qualify to ever be a member of the group, then I don't see why i would waste my time trying to get in.

I feel you only need determination. In Brawl or Melee at least, as a whole it really doesn't take so much skill in the end, you just keep adding more and more over time. It's all about how much time you put into it, and the players you play and what you learn. Sorry if that offends anyone, but all the best players started out as ****.

You have good advice but I don't think you can become one by reading tips.
To learn how to get good and all the info for it is one thing. To apply it is the second step for the person, how ever they choose to go on about it. reading stuff like this is not gonna make you some pro in 24 hours, they is common sense.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
This article definetly helps me out, playing smarter, reading up, analyzing risk and all, keeping cool. The information just hasn't ingratiated itself into my play style.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Most people might know this but sometimes it just needs to be said in order to really grasp it. This read was really insightful, thanks.

Top Bottom