• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the best 2v2 team?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Avatars do add scrolling dude. Anyways, it's arguably not enough. Avatars are pictures, and signatures can be text.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I've decided to use every eeveelution as my avatar throughout the year. Yui is god-like. Yui>Kaede.

One of the better teams is Samus + Samus. The ultimate defense team. UpBs all day. *on-topic*

prisonchild

Smash Ace
falcon isn't that good in teams, too hard for him to complete his combos without interference and gets gimped too easily.

and link well... yeah. he wouldn't be that bad on hyrule with his projectiles but on dream land that team could lose stocks like no tomorrow.

my personal favourite team is mario and luigi. both have great recoveries and useful projectiles. you have luigi who has ko ability at lower percentages and mario with a good all around game.
also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=erULhYfhPKg#t=1168s

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^the Brothers are great. Also I like double Luigi.

Also, Sigs are Da Bess (/late).

Also:
>I realize I have an hour and a half to kill since my gf is doing her hair.
>I realize I could use this time to play online.
>I realize I'm at my gf's house and don't have my controller.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Team GOD (USA):Kirby+Luigi[KirbyUtilt>>>LuigiUp+B] (JPN)Link+Luigi[LinkUtilt>>>LuigiUp+B] (PAL):WRONG GAME.[50hz>>>60hz]

Team Homosex (USA):Kirby+Pika[LMAO] (JPN):Kirby+Pika[HUEHUEHUE]

Team INSTANT Gimped (USA):Link+Fox[Don't get backthrown...]

That's all I've got for now.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nobody will be shocked to find out that I am not a huge fan of Luigi in teams

But admittedly the less linear nature of teams helps his garbage neutral game be less of a problem (try not to get into double mini 1v1s)

Plus his strong kill moves are nice cuz uair -> finisher or just a straight-up up-b is easy to land from your partner hitting someone to you

But on the other hand, because Luigi apparently thinks going slow-mo through the air makes him cool, and because he's easy to "box out", mini 2v1s happen when they shouldn't. Like, if you hit him off-stage, you often can 2v1 the other dude for a bit, and then when he's about to make it back you take a second to edgeguard him, and go back to your 2v1. And even if you mess up and he grabs on the ledge, you can still "box him out" by throwing out hitboxes in front of the edge (like Puff nair :troll:) and remember to keep rolling from the edge in mind - often you end hitting him away AGAIN and can continue your 2v1 even further. You and your partner have to prevent his partner from helping out though. Also Luigi might get wrecked in mini 1v1s because he sux

Also Puff is godly in teams :awesome:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
objective list of characters performance in singles vs doubles relative to rest of cast:

pika- god in both

kirby- slightly better in singles

fox- better in singles

falcon- slightly better in singles

mario- better in doubles

yoshi- better in singles

dk- slighlty better in doubles

jiggles- much better in singles

ness- much better in doubles (if you know how to use him)

luigi- much better in doubles

samus- much better in doubles

link- better in singles

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well yeah then that just means you're better and you would win anyways

idk how to feel about Yoshi in doubles

The Star King

Smash Hero
You're terrible. He seems OK. Who has a good Yoshi in Europe (and by good I mean... good, I guess you'd have to know to know)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
sk puff is awful in teams. you just don't know because your better and you'd win anyways

Mahie

Smash Lord
Yoshi feels like he would fill the same kind of role Falcon does, as in getting quick launchers/finishers while trying to avoid getting *****. His armor might help protecting his partner, but I feel like overall Falcon does all of that better.

The Star King

Smash Hero
sk puff is awful in teams. you just don't know because your better and you'd win anyways
No because I'm comparing how my Puff does to my other characters, so it can't be me being better. She's definitely in my like top 5 in teams. In all my years of playing teams Puff has consistently done really well.

I don't get how anyone could think she's not good (compared to how she is in singles). Rest is godly because your partner can wake you up, and it's incredibly easy to land random utilts -> rest. She's great at saving the partner when their recovery falls short - Pound is too good because it has a reverse trajectory (so it hits them back to the stage), stays out long, and has deceptively good range, so it's really easy to save with. Good edgeguarding. Pretty good recovery (really good high recovery and meh low recovery). One of her main problems in singles is getting in vs some characters, but this is less of an issue in doubles for anyone who suffers from this in singles (like I said for Luigi). She is actually threatening to top tier Kirby and god tier Pikachu with rests. She can actually kill Pikachu early while many other characters almost never will because of his recovery. She does have the problem is dying at low percents sometimes, but her good at so many other things more than makes up for this, and it's often hard to get these early kills vs an air-happy opportunistic Puff (unless you're Luigi, harharhar).

kys

Smash Ace
Yeah, not really seeing the Euro hate for Yoshi or the Clubba hate for Puff. Puff is an annoying little fly in teams. An annoyingly little fly that happens to be extremely deadly. She's way better in teams than in singles. Star King covered the specifics well enough already.

Yoshi's combos are fast; oftentimes I see good Yoshi's in teams get them off cleanly without interruption. Yoshi can also go for edgeguards further away from the stage without worrying about the other partner coming in for the gimp because of his armor. His fair > utilt sets up a lot of really easy and fast partner **** combos. Yoshi has the ability to finish Pikachu and Kirby quickly, similar to Puff, which is a valuable asset.

My two cents.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I think the reason i don't like it is i'm too afraid my djc is gonna get ****ed up somewhere with all the mess.

but then again im like that in singles too :embarrass:

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The Japanese think Puff is the 5th best character in the game in singles. And they have that "crappy" Puff with the heavily nerfed rest.

Also, teams are much more than "how well can you do combos without getting interrupted". I think Yoshi's three huge problems are his lack of a reliable grab, awkward movement options that don't really get him wherever he wants, and a few abysmal matchups (mostly Falcon and Kirby ; armor? what armor?). He does have a few good things, but nothing that makes him any better to pick in teams than the top tiers. In my book he's still low tier in doubles, but that might be due to the fact I have yet to see a really effective Yoshi in teams.

Also, disagree with clubba, Falcon is better in doubles than he is in singles. Or at least just as good.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
and the easy mode d-air w/o need to chase DI

and the nigh-inescapable u-air juggling stuff

and the super broken mega amazing sliding superturn teleport

The Star King

Smash Hero
@KF - didn't understand relevance of Japan's opinion of singles Puff

Regarding Yoshi - lack of a reliable grab is not really a problem with shieldbreak options. Awkward movement, in some ways yeah, but in other situations him having the best aerial mobility in the game is a boon. And not sure how much you can talk about MUs in doubles, but in singles terms I wouldn't call either Falcon or Kirby abysmal for Yoshi.

IDK why I'm defending him because like I said, I'm not sure how I feel about Yoshi in teams. But he seems OK to me. Not that good but not terrible either.

Battlecow

Play to Win
you forgot a few greater than signs, boom.

And yeah, Japan's jiggly status is all about the lack of DI imo.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
@KF - didn't understand relevance of Japan's opinion of singles Puff

Regarding Yoshi - lack of a reliable grab is not really a problem with shieldbreak options. Awkward movement, in some ways yeah, but in other situations him having the best aerial mobility in the game is a boon. And not sure how much you can talk about MUs in doubles, but in singles terms I wouldn't call either Falcon or Kirby abysmal for Yoshi.

IDK why I'm defending him because like I said, I'm not sure how I feel about Yoshi in teams. But he seems OK to me. Not that good but not terrible either.
Most characters in the game are pretty bad in teams, unless they're paired with Pikachu.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
n00bs, puff sucks in teams.

your teammate can wake you up from rest? what kind of theory is that? you can also get fsmashed to death by your opponent which is just as likely.

also, falcon better in doubles? makesnosense.

The Star King

Smash Hero
your teammate can wake you up from rest? what kind of theory is that? you can also get fsmashed to death by your opponent which is just as likely.
With arguments like that? No wonder you're in prison.

Most characters in the game are pretty bad in teams, unless they're paired with Pikachu.
I would say the opposite lol, most are quite decent. Are you comparing them to Pika? I would say that points more to Pika being 2gud

Ban Pikachu and Kirby from teams :troll:

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
With arguments like that? No wonder you're in prison.

I would say the opposite lol, most are quite decent. Are you comparing them to Pika? I would say that points more to Pika being 2gud

Ban Pikachu and Kirby from teams :troll:
I'm just saying that a lot of characters in teams can actually work and be decent/good if they team with a Pikachu.

Example -> I think Ness is one of the worst pieces of garbage ever in smash 64. But guess what happened at Apex, Firo made Ness work in teams because he had a good and supportive Pikachu partner in Ownasaurus. Pikachu is BY FAR the best supportive doubles character in the game (by supportive I mean playing a rather passive aggressive style to protect your team mate while he's taking the initiatives/getting in ; a ton of people play teams like that because it prevents them from hitting each other too much), and in that particular case, Owna really managed to keep Firo alive for really long phases which made it very difficult to deal with them. By keeping Ness alive, you keep his strengths alive (like his combos that lead into his dangerous b-throw, his free edgeguards with dair, etc.), and those strengths can come through quite positively.

And I can say that about a lot of characters in the game. Put almost any character with Pikachu and he can do wonders with the right ideas and synergy.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Um OK but you're straying from
what I was TALKING ABOUT. You think most characters are bad while I think most are decent, and I think that's just because you're using Pikachu as a basis, maybe.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Um OK but you're straying from
what I was TALKING ABOUT. You think most characters are bad while I think most are decent, and I think that's just because you're using Pikachu as a basis, maybe.
No all I said was that you misunderstood me. I'm not using Pikachu as a basis, all I said was that most chars can do well WITH Pikachu.

The reason I think most of them are bad is because they aren't very versatile and usually need Pika (or Falcon/Kirby or some rather strange synergy with yet another character) to be efficient. I tend to base my opinion on characters on their versatility and synergy with other characters.

Top Bottom