• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Lucario's fighting style based on?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I remember reading a topic about this before, but I can't find it anymore...so I may as well ask myself. ^^; Is there a type of martial art that uses the same stances as Lucario? I find the concept of a martial artist (at last!) in Smash to be an awesome thing, so I've picked up Lucario (Ignore the sig...Jigglypuff needs to be replaced). It's a pleasure to meet you all, and I looked forward to brawling with you and improving my Lucario.

But er, yes...back to the question. Does anyone know?

Baky

Smash Journeyman
No one would know for sure.

I see he has some relative movements to boxers/and or kickboxers.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Toon link=Jiggypuff, same difference.

So far, its most like Savate. Where Lucario has boxing type moves, and also kicks. And their mostly open hand.

But he uses a lot of kicks, (all his air moves except his nair) so Taekwondo could fit there too.
So, a Savate/ Taekwondo mix.
-t2

ckm

Smash Journeyman
i must respectfully disagree with the savate/tkd statement... from what ive seen of those martial arts, they are more angular/straight line motion styles... Lucario's movements are more circular and flowing in appearance, from what I can see. This makes me think of Kung Fu more than anything else. Kung Fu varies widely from style to style, so theres probably some form of kung fu that this resembles most... unfortunately I am not an expert in that area so Ill leave that for others to speculate.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Kung Fu, having many varieties, mostly uses a flat fist and open palms for majority of attacks.
Lucario doesnt use open fists.
Im not a expert in all the forms of Kung Fu, so there might be some type that does fit Lucario.
But Savate/Taekwondo is more exact on more of Lucario's moves then just plain Kung Fu.

Or we could call it Brookland Kung Fu. (my votes on Brookland Kung Fu, which is just a bunch of martial art moves thrown into one.)
-t2

Browny

Smash Hater
so i googled kung-fu styles

"The Dragon specialty at the time of attack is a combination of Hard and Soft techniques. Exponents rely on floating and sinking movements with shoulders dropped and elbows bent. A powerful outflow of thrusting power is then released."

his dsmash, usmash, and force palm grab fit this description perfectly. he definitely has hard and soft hits, the first 2 hits of the A-A are very soft with the third hitting quite hard. lucario has his uthrow and fair for some more soft techniques while the force palm grab and fsmash have look to have a lot of power behind them.

also regarding the upsmash

"The Dragon Kung Fu practitioner typically attacks with winding low yang; that is, powerful and quick movements. For example, when striking with the fist, more power can be exerted when the movement originates from the feet, is guided by the waist, flows through the body, and exits through the fist"

"the Dragon reveals himself only to vanish."
Double team lol

the only problem is, the dragon focuses more on hand combat as oppose to foot. but the rest makes sense lol

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
you annoying little son of a... if only I weren't so freaking busy...
either way i'm happy that I won't need to rewrite that all again, though it is true that Lucario fights both Swan (majority) and Dragon (some attacks) styles.
either way in kung-fu there is a really similar approach to aura (we call it chi). The vast majority of attacks are based on this concept of hitting key spots of the opponent's anatomy for quick but effective attacks. either way the rest is in that thread. I would reccoment you to read it even if just for fun =3

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
I thought Lucario's style had a little bit of Tai Chi in it. o_o
I read it somewhere, or it just popped in my mind somehow.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
What about his aerials?
I'd say Taekwondo, as it focuses mainly on kicks and quick hand strikes. Except the Dair, that one's just made up. The fair and uair remind me of some jump kicks that I do in Taekwondo, and the backfist (bair) is definitely something I use a lot in sparring.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
It can't be Capoeria, that martial art encourages the use of feet over hands (feet symbolize destruction, hands symbolizes creation).

At first I thought his fighting style was like Muay Thai, but now I'd agree with Tallen and... I can't believe I already forgot who posted about Dragon... Oh nvm, it was DjBrowny!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lucario's official fighting style is now Ishas****inginciendacomingexsuusmanuum.

(Ithas****ingfirecomingoutofhishands!)

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Krav Maga, MCMAP.

Lucario for top tier.

lolz.

If anything, a lot of his poses seem similiar to northern shaolin. But not necessarily his moves.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
to the person that mentioned tai chi:

yes, it could easily be argued that his style is reflective of tai chi. Many forms of Kung Fu and Tai Chi actually have some of the same flowing smoothness to their movements. Also, both kung fu and tai chi use the concept of chi (aka energy, aka aura), and employ lots of circular motions.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
dude it IS tai chi look at his hands
he uses flowing motions and doesnt stop i mean just do a forward smash and charge it and u will see it

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Lol, his Fsmash is the most counter intuitive when it comes to flowing motion, its cut off. Dsmash is better.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
This thread is 2 pages long now, there's at least 2 pages of people who care. Besides it gives us something else to do =P

gregWHO

Smash Cadet
no, although i was wondering the same thing for myself
Whew. Okay.

Although I think it'd be hilarious if Lucario could fight like Eddy Gordo from the Tekken series.

I have almost no experience in martial arts, but I'm speculating that the developers took various elements from everywhere. Lucario's style is partially inspired from maybe kung fu/TKD but also honestly, from just random crap. Mainstream anime, dance moves, anything that essentially looks cool. Then add some blue flames and BAM.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
*sigh*
first off lucario uses kan tai noitsu which is based of pure will power the sense of others aura (aka in this form chi there not so diff in the end. )
and it was on the topic "Lucario is so overlooked!"

Browny

Smash Hater
expected/10

also i never noticed, but the dojo says lucario uses his own martial arts. thats right, Lucario invents his own style, just for brawl

BsdKid4ever

Smash Cadet
I actually think its tang su do, since no one's ever heard of this b4, let me explain.
I take diffrerent martial arts classes and tsd fits it best. tsd focuses on using your upper body to open up leads to use kicks to floor your enemy by hitting them in vital organs in the chest (A-A-A combo sound familiar?) Tsd also has a variety of jumping kicks with extreme power (all his aerials except nair, and his dair is little far fetched to be doable in real life, i hope every1 knows that...i hope...) tsd also uses blocks that can leave your opponent wide open for a counterstrike (i hope evry1 knows im talkin bout his duble team) Tsd also has a few grapples (throws) that can slam your enemy to the ground, hit em and set up for more, and if your strong, can throw your enemy far by balancing on one leg and thrusting your knee into them while forcing your palms into them (the effect is that you get into position, jab your knee into them hard enough to force them into the air the slightest bit and immediately follow it with a double open-palm shove to get them away from you, any of this ringing a bell? *cough*side-B*cough*)
well, hope i helped out =P

Milln

Smash Champion
Also known as resshuken in Japanese. .... I probably spelled it wrong. >,<

It's the same concept. Deflect blows with hands to enable powerful kick delivery.

Top Bottom