• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is it to really have "A Life?"

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
I've heard this term used many times in many different situations. What do people really mean when they say this, my personal opinion of having "A life" is just going out with friends having fun, pretty much just doing things besides Videogames with your spare time or not having a life is just everything you do involves videogames. Whats your definition?

D13

Smash Ace
I think a good rule of thumb is if you can't remember the last time you spent time with friends, you don't have much of a life.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
It means you should spend more time doing whatever the person who says "get a life" thinks is cool, usually meaning human interaction.

MarthBeast

Smash Apprentice
You dont have a life when your talking about breaking down some fourth wall to be with a anime character. One of my loser friends at school

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
One of my loser friends at school
You say this "loser" is one of your friends, doesn't that say as much about you as it does them ;)

Oh and I could give a scientific definition of living to be a smart arse but instead I choose to do nothing.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
This life sounds... interesting. Do I have to buy it or get to download it for free?
J/K
I guess you could say certain people don't have a life, but there are others (like me) that are just very, very shy or can't communicate very well so I take a lot of that to the internet. :ohwell: I think that in seriousness not having a life would mean dropping out of school to be on the computer/play video games and not having a job. It only seems to be lately that "not having a life" has been expanded to extremely shy people like me - who chickened out from meeting fellow classmates outside of school. :laugh:

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Having a life means that you have the choice do whatever you want.

Wanna know who doesn't have a life?

Michael Jackson.

He can't go anywhere without being harassed and has no freedom. Thats what it means to have "no life."

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
No one has a life. Doing anything and everything will always result in another person saying you don't have a life. Everyone has opinions of what life really is and why another person doesn't have a life.

For some playing Smash all day means you have no life.
For others having a life means gettin some all day, everyday.

I personally like to play smash while gettin some, but mabey thats just me.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
You shouldn't let other people tell you that their way of spending time is better than your way of spending time.

Grandeza

Smash Master
When I study for tests my friend says I have no life. When I make a good high school and he's in sheepshead bay I'll be laughing.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
If you ever meet someone to tell you to get a life, ask them to define what it means to "have a life." They'll be dumbfounded.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I hate it when people say that shizz.

Its so annoying and pointless. Why can't people say something thats more proactive of our actions?

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
Just do you, your life is what YOU make it regardless of what your doing to stay pleased(now that don't mean you should go ****** people or some ****), best definition I can think of.

I enjoy posting on a game forum, thats part of my life and I got no problems with it.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Pointless statement that's made to imply that the way you spend your time is wasteful/pointless etc.

orintemple

Smash Lord
One has a life as long as they are doing what they want to do with it. Life is nothing but waiting do die. You just do what you can to pass the time.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
When my sister tells me to go get a life, she says that I should get myself some friends. Easy for her to say, she's not the one who got bullied all her childhood. She's not the one who always was impopular in school. She's not the one who has no one to share her interests with.

She mostly says so when she's angry with me though, when I want to watch a certain program on TV or want to sit on the computer for a while when she already sits there for example.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
When my sister tells me to go get a life, she says that I should get myself some friends. Easy for her to say, she's not the one who got bullied all her childhood. She's not the one who always was impopular in school. She's not the one who has no one to share her interests with.
Can we be friends? :) No really, this is the EXACT SAME **** I hear from everybody who's NOT my friend, so basically EVERYONE!
I use "get a life" only if there's a founded reason. Sure, everyone's having a different definition of it, so basically, you shouldn't ever say it because it's stupid. But sitting on a computer *****ing about a game that wasn't even out at the time...whatever floats their boat, but for me there's simply no logic behind that. But eh, it's not like they actually harm people. so next time, I just tell them what they do is stupid, I don't want to be an ***.

But really, if you want to explain this to people who are insulting you, namely telling you to "get a life" for no reason (mainly because you aren't like them), they WILL tl;dr you, there's simply no way they'd listen to, you know, an intelligent response. I've had that numerous times.

Dark Crimson

Smash Apprentice
Well I went to my friend's who has no internet or video games to play, and he goes out with his friends every night regardless. He's 17, and his mom makes him work from 7 to 6 moving **** every day.

EDIT: Just respond with NO U and they can't do anything.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
dark crimson. lol dont even ****ing try.

you can join the noob club w/ omfgomfg

i was clearly not talking to you scrub.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives.

Joking aside, having a life is just a phrase implemented by the more popular cliques in schools to insult those that are considered below them. Just keep in mind that when they're an office drone for your multi-million dollar company when you grow up, thus taking there entire life to that, instead of having fun. All the while, you're out partying with your other rich millionaire friends.

We never really don't have a life. We just don't throw ourselves around and get drunk and parties.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
"get a life" is what angry friends say when you beat them at smash.

in my mind having a "life" means loving what you do, and doing what you want because YOU want to. i spend my time with friends, playing video games, playing casual sports, and playing bass in my band. That is my ideal life, no matter what other people think.

besides, devoting 4 hours a day to lifting weights so you can win some high school football games doesn't really sound much better than playing video games, at least in my opinion.

Top Bottom