• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Diddy's optimal control scheme?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
If you aren't using the default control scheme, post it here and justify your choices.

For me:
Gamecube Controller
No springs in L and R buttons
Tap Jump OFF
R- Jump
Y- Grab

Tap Jump OFF
This is so I can angle my shield up easier. The fact that I use R to jump also nullifies the inability to use Up-Smash (or Up-B I guess) OOS.

Y- Grab
I noticed that I was never pressing Y, so I decided to switch it to Grab and eventually just got used to it. I don't like pressing Z for Z-Grabbing; Y is more natural for me. This is personal preference.

R- Jump
This is a habit carried over from playing Wolf. It lets me do OOS stuff without Tap Jump (though Diddy doesn't ever need to do that OOS anyway), and it lets me control Diddy in the air a bit easier (for example, I can do a retreating F-Air where I never move forward at all... which is infinitely more useful for Wolf, but meh).

What about you guys?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
tap jump off - raise my shield
x-grab
simply cuz i dnt like pressing z and accidentally shield :\

Count

Smash Champion
I only do that as well. If you want to be able to better peanut cancel to glide toss you might change your scheme up a bit. I can do it but its annoying and I have to move my hands all over, haha.

I'm not convinced that Diddy Kong has an optimal control scheme. I think it more has to do with player preference.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I use default.

It's hard enough to swap back to Brawl from Melee lol.
Doing random short hop air dodges when I want to Jump Cancel Grab.

I might start turning off tap jump, though it's never stopped my ability to u-tilt or change the position of my shield. I figure turning it off will encourage me to utilt more.

I think the only change necessary for Diddy players is to have R set to attack. This is so you can do random, nifty things like smash attacks whilst holding a banana. But yeah, because of Melee I mostly go default.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I would set Z to attack if I wasn't used to using Z for DACUSing with other characters. Does DACUSing work with Attack instead of Grab? /non-Diddy question

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
I X set to grab. :0 Since the gc controller I was using for Brawl before had a messed up Z button I got accustomed to X.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Umm L is set to jump

I use this for jump cancel throws and grounded instant throwing, and the boosted rocket recovery glitch when i feel like being flashy edit: oh yeah i can do Oos stuff with this too...d@mn i love L jump

Y is set to grab mainly because I never used it before and it felt better than hitting Z or R+A so i guess thats just personal preference

and Tap jump is off because im a scrub and cant stand having it on...oh and tilting my shield feels way better :)

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm left handed, so I've never trained at jumping with x instead of the stick, even if I'm able to do what I want with it, my reaction time is still faster with up than x... So tap jump is on for me. I'm still able to tilt my shield, so I don't really care, and unless something game changing pops up and requires me to turn it off, it will probably never change.

I have Y = grab, I still grab with Z but AFAIK grab is shield+attack so it must count 2 inputs when I'm mashing out of a grab (I have no clue if it works... But since I didn't use Y at all, it became useful when I did that.)

I have L = attack for tricky ATs (fsmashes with bananas, broken dropping,...)

I have shaking off because I wanted to test what it'd change and it turned out I play better when I'm focused on the screen instead of my pad.

DUB

Smash Lord
I'm not convinced that Diddy Kong has an optimal control scheme. I think it more has to do with player preference.
Definitely and in most cases. I use X and Tap Jump along with the default controls. I might set "R" (never use) to something for those banana smashes.

It seems like I may have tried setting specials to c-stick for the easier wave-bouncing effect. I don't think you can even play Diddy like that.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I have..
Y =Grab
X = Jump
A = Grab
B = Jump
R = Special
ZR = Attack
L = Shield
ZL = Grab

Classic Controller Pro :p you can do everything with it.

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
Default w/o tap jump for me.

By choice and because I find it easier; I Glidetoss with L instead of R, more comfortable and more consistent for me. I like having my movement (minus jumping) on the left hand side of my controller, and attacking on the right.

Top Bottom