• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What If? (Smash edition)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  • What if the base game of Ultimate had another year of development, and the newcomers added were:
    • 71-72. Pyra & Mythra
    • 73. Bandana Waddle Dee
    • 74. Min Min
    • 75. Banjo & Kazooie
  • What if, with the above in mind, the DLC characters were:
  • Vol. 1
    • 76. Joker
    • 77. Hero
    • 78. Crash Bandicoot
    • 79. Estelle Bright
    • Three SNK characters in one Challenger Pack
      • 80. Terry Bogard
      • 81. Iori Yagami
      • 82. Nakoruru
    • 83. Steve
  • Vol. 2
    • 84. Chun-Li
    • 85. Dr. Eggman
    • 86. Sephiroth
    • 87. Ring Fit Trainee
    • 88. Shantae
    • 89. Kazuya Mishima
    • 90. Sora

Pupp135

Smash Lord
  • What if the base game of Ultimate had another year of development, and the newcomers added were:
    • 71-72. Pyra & Mythra
    • 73. Bandana Waddle Dee
    • 74. Min Min
    • 75. Banjo & Kazooie
  • What if, with the above in mind, the DLC characters were:
  • Vol. 1
    • 76. Joker
    • 77. Hero
    • 78. Crash Bandicoot
    • 79. Estelle Bright
    • Three SNK characters in one Challenger Pack
      • 80. Terry Bogard
      • 81. Iori Yagami
      • 82. Nakoruru
    • 83. Steve
  • Vol. 2
    • 84. Chun-Li
    • 85. Dr. Eggman
    • 86. Sephiroth
    • 87. Ring Fit Trainee
    • 88. Shantae
    • 89. Kazuya Mishima
    • 90. Sora
While Byleth was one of my favorite newcomers, I still like the lineup, and I think it would be well received, especially with base game Banjo & Kazooie and DLC Crash and Eggman.

What if Smash Melee was the first game instead Smash 64?
Content wise, I think it would probably be between 64 and Melee in terms of playable characters, stages, and items. For game modes, I’m going to assume that Adventure Mode is absent, but Board the Platforms is added. If I had to guess the roster, I think it would be something like this: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultlink:(:ultzelda:/:ultsheik:):ultsamus::ultmarth::ultroy::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultmewtwo:

What if tripping was never added in Brawl?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What if Super Smash bros melee was the first instead of Smash bros 64?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Remember the "What-If?" trend from earlier this month? Well, I decided to make a thread dedicated to the concept
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Here's a few I got:
  1. What if this was the Smash series roster?
  2. What if Kirby was overhauled?
  3. What if the music selection was either of these?
  4. What if Smash Run returned?
  5. What if this was our stage lineup?
I just looked at the zelda roste and honestly?
3 Zeldas are you out of your mind!
Why add 3 zeldas and not one younger link?
I dont get it!

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Going off of the Zelda franchise, what if Tingle was in Brawl, Impa was in For, and Sidon was in FP2?

Also, what if SSB64 had another 6 months of development, meaning that it was released in summer 1999?
Since there hasn’t been something regarding SSB64, I’ll make my own guess:
I assume that at least Bowser and Dedede would’ve made the cut. Maybe Marth and Mewtwo might’ve also made it. In addition to the three single player stages, I could see another stage or two that was never worked on make it. I guess that I shouldn’t rule out the additional possibility for final smashes as Ness (the last completed fighter) has some voice clips.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Going off of the Zelda franchise, what if Tingle was in Brawl, Impa was in For, and Sidon was in FP2?

Also, what if SSB64 had another 6 months of development, meaning that it was released in summer 1999?
I can understand Tingle and Impa. But Sidon? That's totally arbitrary. Heck, choosing one Champion over the others would be arbitrary... and Sidon is not even a Champion. He was not as prominent in BotW than he is in TotK, and even that is not much.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Weird one, but; What if Sakurai decided not to return for Brawl?

I say it's weird, because we kind of know the answer to it. Specifically, Iwata suggested that if Sakurai didn't return, they'd instead have released a remastered version of Melee for the Wii, but with online capabilities. (Here's a source on that. Thanks, SmashWiki!)

The way Sakurai points this out in his video (or at least, in its translated form) implies that the game would have been a straight port with little to no changes - and while that'd probably be true for a lot of the game's content, I do think there's a few things that could have changed as it was brought over. I'll explore them here!

Online Modes
The obvious point on this list, but still one worth noting. Brawl's eventual online modes (under the Nintendo WFC menu) would include a variety of modes, which I think would be essentially the same in Melee HD (technically an inaccurate name but I'll go with it for now.) Hence, I think...
  • With Friends - A mode of play using the Wii's friend codes to allow for private online matches.
  • With Anyone - Modes centring on play with random other players.
    • Basic Brawl - 1v1 matches with random online players. I think they'd have kept the voting system for rulesets.
    • Team Battle - Essentially the same as above, buuut... for teams.
    • Spectator Mode - Probably the least likely to remain? If kept, it'd be a method of acquiring coins in the Lottery to acquire Trophies.
  • Replays / Snapshots - I think this is fairly feasible given the systems in place for these already existed in Melee. It'd need tweaking, obviously - but being able to send replays and snapshots would be a decent online feature to add to the list. (Custom stages obviously wouldn't work.)
I'll get to another... possibility, later on.

Additional Settings
I don't think this'd be too unfeasible, either.

The first thing that occurs to me is adding selectable controls, which was introduced to the series in Brawl. It seems unlikely that they'd refuse to give this game compatibility with the Wiimote, so giving it compatibility with different control schemes - namely the Wiimote, Wiimote and Nunchuk, and the Classic Controller - feels like a good way of handling things.

Something else that springs to mind is opting for widescreen support - this was also added in Brawl, and feels like a pretty obvious and achievable decision to make, even if it ends up being by essentially stretching out the rendered gameplay.

And, as a third - but very unlikely - suggestion... it could be interesting to see Brawl's Wiimote voicelines appear when selecting characters as an optional choice. I can imagine it probably just using voicelines from in the original game, most likely from taunts - but it seems like a cool way of giving this port some personality.

New (or updated) Trophies?
While new characters wouldn't happen, and new stages would be unlikely, I don't think Trophies would be in the same predicament.

The extent to which this area of the game would be switched up would probably depend heavily on how much work was being put into the port - at minimum, I'd suggest that certain trophies would have their information rewritten (like changing the Animal Crossing trophies' release dates), or perhaps having new, more recent games inserted into their descriptions as appropriate. Additionally, I wouldn't write off the potential for the Mario & Yoshi and Samus Unmasked trophies to become unlockable through regular play, given both are included in the base game already.

However, there's also the possibility of models from various different games being retrofitted to work as additional trophies here and there - a system seemingly used for a number of trophies and the like in Brawl. While I don't think this game would reach Brawl's impressive total of 544 trophies by any means, it's possible that Melee's 290 trophies could be extended to a value of around 320 with this kind of method? Additional trophies would be a cool selling point that wouldn't take too much work.

Masterpieces
& Chronicle?
This actually doesn't seem completely unfeasible in my mind.

Remember, the reason that Masterpieces were included in Brawl to begin with was as obvious cross-promotion for the Virtual Console service on the Wii Shop Channel - and given it's essentially just slotting in time-limited demos of ROMs that Nintendo already has lying around, I wouldn't put it past them to be capable of including some of these without too much work.

Obviously not all of them would be included from Brawl, though (given some are for characters not playable), so games like Kid Icarus probably wouldn't be there. That said, I wouldn't write off the possibility of other games - like Dr. Mario - to be included. I'd also probably err on the side of N64 games not being included (namely, Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64), and also games that might be difficult to emulate (like Star Fox.)

Plus, Chronicle would be even easier - just an additional "mode" that allows you to read through Nintendo's release history.

Would this be likely? I wouldn't say so. But it's absolutely a feasible possibility that'd extend this port's features, acting as a big selling point without too much work.

New Stages?...
As mentioned... this is probably more on the unlikely side of things - but hear me out.

A lot of stages featured in Brawl were essentially asset-flips from other games. Now, while adding additional fighters would be a complex process, I don't think adding stages has nearly as much difficulty - there'd still be some that comes about from programming collision and the like, so don't expect Brawl's entire stagelist to be here - but I do think there's a possibility for a few. I'm going to limit it to four for the sake of realism, those being...
  1. Delfino Plaza - Essentially ripped from Sunshine, I don't think this would end up being the travelling stage we saw in Brawl (given it'd feature significantly less changes than in Sunshine), but a static stage taking place somewhere in this location feels feasible. Think of it as just one of the many layouts we actually saw.
  2. 75M - While this isn't a direct gamerip from a Gamecube title, I think it'd be decently feasible given the graphics are essentially replicating sprite-based graphics from Donkey Kong. That said, this version would probably be simplified - no score numbers and no items to pick up. I think Donkey Kong would still be there, though - and his barrels and bugs.
  3. Bridge of Eldin - Again, I'd say this stage would be simplified a little - King Bulblin wouldn't appear or anything, and maybe the stage would have a couple of platforms made with a similar sort of look to the Twilight Realm overall. That said, it feels like an achievable stage given you could pull a lot of it directly from Twilight Princess.
  4. Distant Planet - An odd way to end out the quartet, but one that makes sense in my mind. Similar to the others here, it'd be simplified compared to its Brawl appearance - so no giant Bulborbs, weather systems, or flooding - and I think most of its design would be pulled from Pikmin 2's Awakening Wood level, taking place mostly on plantpots and a stone wall.
All of these would, of course, need music... but for most of these, I think Nintendo would either re-use music already from Melee (for instance, the Zelda theme on Bridge of Eldin could work), or just re-use music from their libraries (whether it be classic Donkey Kong backing music for 75M, or some environmental noises for Distant Planet.) Bringing an entire orchestra back for a port is just unfeasible.

As for the elephant in the room - AKANEIA - I'm not sure it'd be possible to finish. Even aside from the fact that Iwata's team would likely be unfamiliar with elements related to it, it's also the only stage inaccessible for play in its current form, and was apparently cut due to "development issues". Plus, I'm not sure they'd even want to poke around in the game's code to bring back too much planned stuff (with exceptions like the trophies I mentioned earlier already existing in a fully-formed state.) That said...

Unused Content?...
Okay, so while I'm aware there's a lot of content on this front that people would be excited for... I don't think there'd be much here. One thing that does come to mind as achievable is re-introducing the Bonuses left in the original game - these being the following.

Barrel Blast KOx300Used a Barrel to KO someone.
Crash & Burn-500All Meteor Attacks Missed.
Deflector1000Unknown (presumed to be something to do with reflecting attacks)
Green Shell Shooterx800Caused damage twice or more with a Green Shell.
Poolsharkx300Threw one enemy into another.
Red Shell Shooterx400Caused damage 3 or more times with a Red Shell.
Ricochet Riflerx800Deflected shot hit an enemy.

This seems like a... small, and unlikely change, but all of these Bonuses were left in the original game and accessible with a Game Shark, so it likely wouldn't take too much work to bring them back.

Downloadable Content?
While this is probably one of the least likely elements on this entire list, I'd like to give it an honourable mention on the basis of the fact that - theoretically - it'd be possible... but not in the way you might expect. A little-known thing about the Wii is that it actually was capable of DLC - albeit only on a small scale, ideally less than 40MB - which was used in games like Animal Crossing: City Folk, WarioWare D.I.Y.'s Wiiware application, and Rock Band 2. None of this was on-disc.

What this means is that, unfortunately, full DLC characters or stages would be practically impossible, not to mention unlikely. After all, Iwata had no interest in developing characters anyway - I've only mentioned stages here because there's a remote possibility of their inclusion. That said, DLC music (most likely pulling from Nintendo's archives) and Trophies (most likely assets ripped directly from other games) could probably work.

The problem with this is that I don't think there'd be much in the way of interest - either from consumers or from Nintendo themselves. It'd be feasibly possible, but I'm going to say it wouldn't happen. I thought it was just worth a mention.

-<>----------------<>-​

Overall, I think this is a decent overview of some of the changes that'd be possible. Are all of them realistic? God, no. I think at most we'd likely have seen some of the online features minus Spectator Mode, maybe widescreen support, and possibly extended controller support. But hey, it's fun to speculate on what's possible - and I think some of the suggestions I made would be pretty feasible additions that aren't outside the realm of possibility.

Top Bottom