• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What If: 3 Pikmin as opposed to six in SSB4?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Some of us have already speculated this after seeing the screenshots. While it might be a stretch at the moment, I just want to discuss about this incase it's gonna be implemented.

I still believe 3 Pikmins is a welcome change as it makes Olimar much manageable to play as. There's also more space for tactical sets and also you get to use the Min you wanted to get much faster.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
He means 3 at a time. Also, "Pikmin" is the plural term. Just sayin'.

I'm guessing he only has 3 now do to complications with the 3DS, but I like it better that way. Looks less of a clusterf***, and his up special will probably be changed to be less god-awful.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
There are screens with more than the main three now.
I believe that Horsetail is referring to every screenshot on the site only showing Olimar commanding a max of three Pikmin. There has yet to be any higher than that displayed at one time in these screenshots, which can lead to one assuming that they decreased the amount of Pikmin that Olimar can command on the field at once.

Either that, or they:
1. Haven't programmed Olimar to command more than 3 Pikmin yet.
2. The other (3?) Pikmin that he can have follow him at any time are just out of the frame.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I like the idea. I feel it'd be easier to use. I would assume competitive Olimar players wouldn't be overjoyed though. Still, its too early to tell.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
If this is true, then what would his up B be? Winged Pikmin would work but would you need to have plucked one first?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The change of his Up-B would be nice, but let's be fare, Olimar's meant to be a clusterfish, in his games he has 100 of the blighters, down to three feels a bit low.. though yeah, I agree it's likely 3DS limitations that are causing it (assuming that we've just not seen more yet).

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I HIGHLY doubt it. All of the shots in the photos are super zoomed in, making it impossible to see all 6 in most of the shots anyway. Plus, I see no way Sakurai would butcher his recovery like that, unless he plans to think of a whole new one, which I highly doubt he will. And there's always the possibility that Sakurai only wants to display 3 at a time because it's more photogenic.

Cleon

Smash Rookie
I don't know, it's just screen shots. I would be a bit disappointed with only a three pikmin max. But I am relieved to see all 5 colors are back.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If he does only use three at a time, then there's almost no way that they'll include the new pikmin...seriously, three pikmin at a time will already make it more difficult to get the colors you want with only five colors; seven is just asking for trouble.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Damn, guess the 3DS really is holding the Wii U back, but I feel that having 3 at a time is an improvement. I suspect that the new Pikmin will appear as well, but as a super rare pickup.

So how do yall feel about the whistle being attached to Olimar's helmet all the time? Now it finally makes sense how he whistles!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
As long as he doesn't still have Pikmin Chain (which I suspect) this change is just fine, unless Sakurai is trolling us. It of course may have to do with those mentioned 3DS limitations.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Don't read to much into the screenshots. I would be dissapointed if Olimar got cut down to only 3 Pikmin, the only advantadge is that they are easier to manage (and managing 6 isn't that hard to begin with) and the disadvantadges out weigh the advantadge, at least to me. Pikmin die easily enough as if that even with 6 Pikmin you can go through them rather fast and be low on them and still have to pluck them as often as you get the chance and that is with 6, now imagine that with 3. Overall limited to only 3 would end up in generally being a nerf to him I would think due to how fast you go through Pikmin and how the Opponent can Punish you for plucking while they are still on stage. Even if they boost his recovery at the expense of losing Pikmin I feel like it would still be more of a nerf for him then anything.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If they revamp or replace the Pikmin Chain,then I don't see a problem with only 3 pikmin being out.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think the lack of more than 3 means anything... Do remember that in Brawl he plucks 3 automatically at the start of the stage and we haven't seen screen shots of him plucking any...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If they revamp or replace the Pikmin Chain,then I don't see a problem with only 3 pikmin being out.
Aside from Pruples, and possibly Rocks, Pikmin die easily wethere you throwing them over the ledge by accedint or them getting killed by an opponents attack, and the fact that you want to throw away Pikmin that aren't as useful in a MU. Even watching top level players on youtube who are far far far beyond my skill level seem to go through Pikmin fast and they have access to 6 then and losing half of them is easy. Noe then if we have 3 Pikmin instead of 6 it would be easier to go through all of them and end up getting screwed due to that because most of your attacks are now useless and you opponent can easily punish you for trying to pluck. So even with a better recovery it would end up being more of a nerf then anything. 6 really is the perfect number of Pikmin in Smash, not to much and not to little. While 3 is doable it would most likely cause Olimar to go down quite a few notches, even with a better recovery. x.x

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I agree with mimgrim almost entirely (mainly with the necessity of having 6 pikmin)

If ur far away enough from ur opponent it is really really difficult to punish olimar when he is plucking pikmin because its fast and has no lag after pluck.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
3DS limitations? What? If they can make three follow him, they can make six follow him. Even if there can only be three Pikmin, which it probably isn't (Three is the DEFAULT NUMBER OF PIKMIN, people) it'll be because of balancing, not some bizarre limitation on the 3DS. That's just stupid.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to note that when Olimar was first shown in Smash Dojo for Brawl, the max they've shown was five. Though like people have said above, it could be that they couldn't fit 3 at a time, or that 3 was the default. I wouldn't be so annoyed if they made the max amount 5.

Xigger

Smash Lord
You guys are looking into it WAY too much. Just like nearly everyone still believes the rosters will be different just because we don't have 3DS screens for the newcomers. (It's because the 3DS character designs take more work than the HD non-cellshaded ones do)

Just use your common sense instead of your paranoid sense; your common sense says "I have no idea, and no way to find out." while your paranoid sense says "negative negative negative!"

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Seriously, how the **** do you come to this conclusion? That's like assuming Mario doesn't have his cape because they haven't shown it, or Kirby's utilt has been changed, or Link no longer has his boomerang, or all the other characters from Brawl have been cut because they're not on the Dojo! This can't be because of "Limitations," because the limitation Sakurai was talking about was programming one character to follow the other, something they've clearly overcome because there are three Pikmin following Olimar in these pictures right now.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Mimgrim and BlitznBurst have their heads on straight. You all should listen to them. Just because something hasn't been shown, doesn't mean it isn't going to exist.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Mimgrim and BlitznBurst have their heads on straight. You all should listen to them. Just because something hasn't been shown, doesn't mean it isn't going to exist.

Indeed, hence me saying "stretch at the moment", and going straight to if "we'd get 3 Pikmin" this time if the screenshots were meant to show that change.

Speculation's all fair people, so calm down. This had me only drawing my speculation from the screenshots because I thought it'd be interesting change incase it would turn out to be true.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
change his up B to wing pikmin (automatically fly out and carry him up) and incorporate the rock pikmin into his moves somehow, keep the 5 he plucks in brawl, and I think 3 at a time is fine. Love Olimar glad to see him back even if he used one pikmin at a time.

though I do think this is a sign of the 3DS limiting characters, I don't mind it here but we'll see what else might get limited by it, hopefully not transforming characters... I believe it has more to do with number of characters and AI characters on screen but with 3 pikmin I feel like they'll find a way to work characters like ice climbers and hopefully there won't be any more problems.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
change his up B to wing pikmin (automatically fly out and carry him up) and incorporate the rock pikmin into his moves somehow, keep the 5 he plucks in brawl, and I think 3 at a time is fine. Love Olimar glad to see him back even if he used one pikmin at a time.

though I do think this is a sign of the 3DS limiting characters, I don't mind it here but we'll see what else might get limited by it, hopefully not transforming characters... I believe it has more to do with number of characters and AI characters on screen but with 3 pikmin I feel like they'll find a way to work characters like ice climbers and hopefully there won't be any more problems.
Or just allow him to pluck Hlying and Rock Pikmin instead and jsut give Rock Pickmin shield breaking capabilites and let Olimar have a better recovery while a Flying on is plucked. Don't take away from what makes Olimar unique. e_e

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
I like the idea. It's less of a technical burden, easier to manage, and he could have specials tailored specifically to the new Pikmin.

And I'm glad Olimar's in for another round. No one ever thought he'd get the ace to begin with, but it's nice to see him officially revealed. And it's nice to actually GET character reveals after a month.

...And given that so far we've had reveals on the 11th of both months, I see the makings of a clear pattern.

EDIT: Apparently I can't read calendars, it's the 12th. -_-

volbound1700

Smash Master
I kept hearing 6 Pikmin in Brawl but what where the 6?

I thought there was Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple, and White. That is 5.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
He was revealed on the 12th actually in promotion of Pikmin 3 that probably is launched in Japan by now.

I kept hearing 6 Pikmin in Brawl but what where the 6?

I thought there was Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple, and White. That is 5.

They are referring to the ability of plucking 6 pikmin at a time.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
3DS limitations? What? If they can make three follow him, they can make six follow him. Even if there can only be three Pikmin, which it probably isn't (Three is the DEFAULT NUMBER OF PIKMIN, people) it'll be because of balancing, not some bizarre limitation on the 3DS. That's just stupid.
Calm down. This is just a possibility. No one's drawing definite conclusions. The thread title clearly reads "What if."

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This actually makes a lot of sense if he's supposed to function exactly the same on both versions. 3 Pikmin are easier to program than 6.

Plus he could still pull out Winged Pikmin for his recovery, and then they go away after performing the move.

peeup

Smash Lord
I always wanted his recovery to be something like this. All his available Pikmin help to throw him into the air. The more Pikmin, the higher you get thrown. You aren't helpless after using this, but all of your Pikmin fall to their deaths if you use it above open air, so you can only use it once.

But that aside, I think 3 Pikmin max is unlikely, though possible due to 3DS constraints. I think it would be cool because it would make for more specific use of Pikmin, and more importantly it would be a much needed nerf to Olimar.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
All pics are of the wii u version. Are none of the 3ds version.
Im sure olimar will have 6 pikmin again.
This just leaves us to speculate about the limitations of the 3ds version

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
I seriously doubt he'll be restricted, especially on the Wii U. The 3DS is stronger than the Gamecube (source) and Pikmin 1&2 handled hundreds of those things. It's possible w/ 4 Olimar's there might be a little frame drop, but I doubt it. They're were like what, 6 polygons in Brawl? The 3DS could easily have super low poly count Pikmin and be just fine. People say the AI is the problem, but it's basically just run/jump towards Oli and die if hit. (I'm not a programmer so it may be a lot more difficult than I think it is)

I'm not saying it's impossible he's limited to 3, just that I don't think so. Worst case scenario they could keep 6 on the Wii U and give him 3 with a reworked Up Special on the 3DS.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
I seriously doubt he'll be restricted, especially on the Wii U. The 3DS is stronger than the Gamecube (source) and Pikmin 1&2 handled hundreds of those things. It's possible w/ 4 Olimar's there might be a little frame drop, but I doubt it. They're were like what, 6 polygons in Brawl? The 3DS could easily have super low poly count Pikmin and be just fine. People say the AI is the problem, but it's basically just run/jump towards Oli and die if hit. (I'm not a programmer so it may be a lot more difficult than I think it is)

I'm not saying it's impossible he's limited to 3, just that I don't think so. Worst case scenario they could keep 6 on the Wii U and give him 3 with a reworked Up Special on the 3DS.
Nope,Gamecube has a better CPU, you don't add the CPU that the 3DS has.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If this is true, then what would his up B be? Winged Pikmin would work but would you need to have plucked one first?
They can just be move specific. Like pink pikmin only show up for the UP + B and then disperse once you land or they get exhausted.

Top Bottom