• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What If: 3 Pikmin as opposed to six in SSB4?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Way too early to really say anything on this matter - we should all just wait for more pics of Olimar to be posted. The site hasn't even updated yet since he was announced.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I think people are forgetting the "What if" in the title. It's just a little theorizing for fun, yo.

Anyway, I'd welcome a reduced number of Pikmin. I feel that Olimar's balance issues in Brawl stemmed from how many of the little buggers he could have out. Having 6 really allowed him to throw caution to the wind and spam what should be a limited projectile. When attached from Pikmin Throw, I can kill off 2 or 3 at a time in one move and that "should" leave Olimar defenseless for a moment as a way of punishing wreckless Pikmin use but he has 3 more of them at his side so what's even the point of limiting him? A reduced number would make Olimar play a little more like Ice Climbers and take care of what Pikmin he has. However, with that change, I think he should get a decent buff to his own offensive moveset without Pikmin. Definitely having his own directional aerials at least. Maybe even increase his movement speed when he doesn't have any Pikmin. It would make sense at least.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I just hope it isnt because of the unnecessary 3DS version if he can only have 3 -.-

I don't want stuff getting limited because of it.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I just hope it isnt because of the unnecessary 3DS version if he can only have 3 -.-

I don't want stuff getting limited because of it.
I thought Sakurai was gonna do a 3DS only smash in the beginning but changed it to both Smash and Wii U, so I wouldn't say it was unnecessary. Also the 3DS version was a smart idea because way more people have a 3DS than the Wii U thing. Anyways, back on topic, I think I saw a fourth pikmin in one of the screen shots. Here is the link http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/pikmin.html Look at the picture of olimar fighting Bowser. You'll see two yellow pikmin, a ghost blue pikmin, and I think a pikmin flower behind bowser's leg.

Rinnin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2492-4645-8842
I thought Sakurai was gonna do a 3DS only smash in the beginning but changed it to both Smash and Wii U, so I wouldn't say it was unnecessary. Also the 3DS version was a smart idea because way more people have a 3DS than the Wii U thing. Anyways, back on topic, I think I saw a fourth pikmin in one of the screen shots. Here is the link http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/pikmin.html Look at the picture of olimar fighting Bowser. You'll see two yellow pikmin, a ghost blue pikmin, and I think a pikmin flower behind bowser's leg.

That's interesting, since if I'm looking at what you're trying to point out, that's a blue flower and the blue flowers belong to the flying and purple Pikmin.

But I think that's just part of the background. If you look at the picture right before that, you'll see a similar looking flower next to the white Pikmin that's part of the stage.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Unfourtantly that flower is part of the background.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
-_- do you guys know how excited I was. Oh well, I can trust Sakurai won't limit it to only 3. But if he limits it because of the 3Ds limitations, I hope he doesn't let that stop the Wii U version from having the full Pikmin team.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
-_- do you guys know how excited I was. Oh well, I can trust Sakurai won't limit it to only 3. But if he limits it because of the 3Ds limitations, I hope he doesn't let that stop the Wii U version from having the full Pikmin team.
I wouldn't see why they couldn't have the full 6 in the WiiU version and only 3 in the 3DS version. I mean, Sakurai said that the two games couldn't be connected to play together.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I wouldn't see why they couldn't have the full 6 in the WiiU version and only 3 in the 3DS version. I mean, Sakurai said that the two games couldn't be connected to play together.
That is true, but I think he said you could transfer your characters to the Wii U and use them to play. That is what I think he said, but I don't know for sure. If it is true, I would love to see how a 3 Pikmin Olimar and a 6 Pikmin Olimar would fight. Unless Olimar gets the extra 3 Pikmin when transfered.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Silly Sakurai always teasing us...

Reasoning behind only 3 pikmin?

Here's my theory:

3 maneuverable pikmin out at a time (either Red/Yellow/Blue/White/Purple as we have seen through the various pictures that have been posted daily) that follow Olimar just like in Brawl.
2 flying pikmin for a better and more badass recovery up-b special (imagine Olimar being lifted up while the player can control the path for a little while)
1 rockmin for a super strong down-air meteor perhaps?

note that the flying and rock pikmin would be hidden or reserved so you would obviously not see them out all the time.

THEREFORE, 3+2+1 = 6 pikmin.

Besides, the flying pikmin would look out of place just flying instead of walking behind Olimar.

and Olimar might only need 1 flying pikmin to recover... Who knows? :3

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681

Here's my theory:

3 maneuverable pikmin out at a time (either Red/Yellow/Blue/White/Purple as we have seen through the various pictures that have been posted daily) that follow Olimar just like in Brawl.
2 flying pikmin for a better and more badass recovery up-b special (imagine Olimar being lifted up while the player can control the path for a little while)

note that the flying and rock pikmin would be hidden or reserved so you would obviously not see them out all the time.

Besides, the flying pikmin would look out of place just flying instead of walking behind Olimar.

That actually makes some sense. How many different tpes of Pikmin are there total?

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Okay, I've never played a Pikmin game, so Smash Bros. is what introduced me to Olimar. I can see the red, yellow, and blue Pikmin being used as the main three. I don't know what the purple does, but i think it is just a heavier version, so maybe it could be used as a dair to spike people. The white one uses some dark power right? I'm not sure what it could do though. Obviously, the fling Pikmin could be used for an up+B, but not sure if it could have some way to attack, or if it will be a recovery like Pit's, or sonic (I know there are others too). The rock could be used in a side smash attack, since it looks like it could do heavy damage. Note that I never played Pikmin (as said previously), and this is an idea if we can only get three Pikmin and the Primary color Pikmin ones are only used (maybe the white one too, but it really isn't my decision).

Nevermind, I just saw a pic of the white and purple. I guess the rock can replace what I said about the purple one.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

Here's my theory:

This is what I thought of as well. His specials or smashes changing slightly to always include rock or flying Pikmin. If Olimar was to function exactly as he always did but with only 3 Pikmin his recovery would take a major hit. Adding a flying Pikmin to the top of the up special would remedy that issue for sure.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Just because we've only seen only color DK doesn't mean he wont have alternate colors/costumes..

Same goes with this whole "3 pikmin" idea.

:olimar: :shyguy::shyguy::shyguy:
Well that may be true, alternate color schemes are a dead give away and will make it into the next installment of Smash regardless.

The fact that Sakurai is being a complete TROLL by posting images containing 3 pikmin on screen at once MAXIMUM leads us all to think that.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Well that may be true, alternate color schemes are a dead give away and will make it into the next installment of Smash regardless.

The fact that Sakurai is being a complete TROLL by posting images containing 3 pikmin on screen at once MAXIMUM leads us all to think that.
He is a master at causing speculation! :) haha

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
I think that if more pikmin types were added and his number of pikmin he could have out were reduced, I think it'd be much more interesting.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We don't know how many he'll have in the final version quite yet. But I guess the three Pikmin thing isn't too far-fetched. The only thing that would really need to be buffed on Olimar is his recovery. Which I suggest using Flying Pikmin for a solution to that problem.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
I think olimar should pull out pink pikmin and go upwards exactly like snake and then the pink pikmin can explode on contact when it collides with stuff

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Hmmm well I would think they should give him more pikmin
I mean he has negative priority already in his pikmin attacks anyways.
Anyone who is a rush down character could close in on him and pressure him anyways

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Hmmm well I would think they should give him more pikmin
I mean he has negative priority already in his pikmin attacks anyways.
Anyone who is a rush down character could close in on him and pressure him anyways
His aerials have good priority actually, espically his Uair.

Also Yellow Pikmin and their disjointed hit-boxes.

He can handle rush down characters reasonably well also.

Still needs more then 3 Pikmin, at least 5, because of how much he relies on them. 3 Pikmin is just to much of a nerf for him. Very doubtful he is limited to 3 anyway, at least imo.

There are a multitude of reasons as why Olimar has, so far, been shown with only 3.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Olimar WILL have 3 Pikmin this time, since the screens we've got are only of three.
Olimar needs a somewhat significant nerf anyway, so there you go.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Significant wasn't the right word. But Olimar was the third highest character in the tiers, so there's obviously a few things that need switching.
First you need a better understanding of why Olimar is as high as he is in the tier list. The reason he is so high on the most recent tier list was because of how he fares against MK. Aside from possibly ICs he has the best MU against MK, the most dominant character in Brawl and unarguably the best character in the game by miles, and don't listen to the MU chart, Pika ain't even against MK and the tier list is built around MK.

He doesn't need nerfing, and even if he did , limiting him to 3 Pikmin is not the way to go about it, or buffing. He's a solid character as is without needing any real changes, kinda like Marth.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm all but certain Olimar is limited to only 3 Pikmin now. 7/12/13 was when Olimar was revealed, around 8 months ago, as hard as that is to believe. There has yet to be a single picture showing more than 3 Pikmin at once. We've gotten almost every color combination of 3 of the first 5 Pikmin. We've gotten more images of Olimar than we can shake our fists at.

It seems less like an if and more of a straight-fact at this point that Olimar is going to have half the fire-power he did in Brawl, regardless of whether that may be because of 3DS' processing power or simply because he needed a nerf.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
3 pikmin confirmed..it can be both a buff and a nerf. His recovery is significantly better imo, but he cant spam throwing pikmin anymore, and its not random either. You can more easily farm purples at least. Im also wondering why he has no rock pikmin... weird.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Wow out of all characters it seems he was the most nerfed. I love his new recovery though. Hmm 3 pikmin only? we'd have to try it out and see how that goes.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
Ya they got rid of the tether mechanic so they did the pink Pikmin like I thought they would
But hmm I don't like this nerf
It seems so unnessisary but then again getting the Pikmin you need will be easier this time around I just hope they buff his non Pikmin attacks too

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Ya they got rid of the tether mechanic so they did the pink Pikmin like I thought they would
But hmm I don't like this nerf
It seems so unnessisary but then again getting the Pikmin you need will be easier this time around I just hope they buff his non Pikmin attacks too
I saw that he has a new jab so that is definitely a possibility

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So... I see only three Pikmin as a good thing.
It means they will each be more Powerful, probably
And you spend less time plucking.

Top Bottom