• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What If: 3 Pikmin as opposed to six in SSB4?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Because 3 Pikmin only is stupid.
Because you have control over which they are, can see which i next, and don't need to spend time plucking them, while they are likely more powerful?

To me, this almost definitely means each is twice as powerful.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Because you have control over which they are, can see which i next, and don't need to spend time plucking them, while they are likely more powerful?

To me, this almost definitely means each is twice as powerful.
More powerful is just pure speculation.

The control means little to in all honesty. Plucking isn't that time consuming and is cancelable, in fact you will probably be plucking more due to only 3 Pikmin. Olimar relies on his Pikmin to be, well, good. Most of his attacks can't be done without Pikmin. He can't even grab without them. Limiting him to only 3 is majorly stupid.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
More powerful is just pure speculation.

The control means little to in all honesty. Plucking isn't that time consuming and is cancelable, in fact you will probably be plucking more due to only 3 Pikmin. Olimar relies on his Pikmin to be, well, good. Most of his attacks can't be done without Pikmin. He can't even grab without them. Limiting him to only 3 is majorly stupid.
It isnt really speculation. It is in fact absurd to think that his entire attack power was cut in half. Does that really make more sense to you than to agree each Pikmin must make him more powerful than one alone did in the past game?
No character has ever been nerfed in half. That is ridiculous

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I think the new recovery makes him not only buffed, but more interesting and dynamic. I like the risk/reward element of having to sac pikmin to increase his maneuverability. He wasn't a character that needed buffing, he needed some nerfs too overall, and reeling back on his access to pikmin spamming is a good way to balance things out if you ask me.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It isnt really speculation. It is in fact absurd to think that his entire attack power was cut in half. Does that really make more sense to you than to agree each Pikmin must make him more powerful than one alone did in the past game?
No character has ever been nerfed in half. That is ridiculous
It is speculation. As you can't prove it. I don't think it is absurd at all. In fact. I think it is quite possible that will end up happening. And even if the Pikmin are powered up a little bit, 3 Pikmin still suck. I would rather have 6 or 5 weak Pikmin then 3 strong Pikmin. It's the same reason I don't touch Olimar in PM. Any less then 5 Pikmin and I won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I think the new recovery makes him not only buffed, but more interesting and dynamic. I like the risk/reward element of having to sac pikmin to increase his maneuverability. He wasn't a character that needed buffing, he needed some nerfs too overall, and reeling back on his access to pikmin spamming is a good way to balance things out if you ask me.
He wasn't really broken anyway. He didn't have a single polarizing MU outside of the ones that every top, and various other characters, tier has. The reason he is 3rd is because of how well he does against MK.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't see how anyone can be happy that they ruined Olimar, sure his recovery is great but they removed what makes Olimar Olimar. He's supposed to be surrounded by a bunch of Pikmin, not a measly three. This removes almost every aspect of his previous strategy, it required a certain skill to know when and where to pluck certain Pikmin and how to order and use them to your advantage, now he just seems dumbed down enough for any bloke on Miiverse to use. Now there's basically no point in using Pikmin throw, and you can't even have one of each type of Pikmin at the ready anymore, if you want to switch up between Purple and Red Pikmin you'll have to keep killing off your own Pikmin to spawn more in a set order, so good luck keeping Pikmin fully grown to a flower Pikmin as well.

Olimar is one of my mains, and one of my favorite additions to Smash ever, and this news nearly ruined the whole damn game for me. I can only hope it changes.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
I agree but they better fix the pikmin if they do it
I mean no more ghost pikmin or anything
I know I always sd because all the pikmin wouldn't register and would turn ghost
And hopefully pikmin clash with moves and not just get hit away when you try clashing
Because that's the only reason we do bad against Marth's and other characters with moves that have more range than out pikmin
But with the gliding mechanic gone mks shouldn't be too much of a threat now
And also to address about the nerfing of a character by half
I want to say sheik was nerfed beyond belief
She had no kill power in brawl and became so hard to use that most people dropped her
So if the pikmin aren't buffed then olimar will be the new nerfed sheik
A ghost of a top tier

Olimarific

Smash Rookie
I agree but they better fix the pikmin if they do it
I mean no more ghost pikmin or anything
I know I always sd because all the pikmin wouldn't register and would turn ghost
And hopefully pikmin clash with moves and not just get hit away when you try clashing
Because that's the only reason we do bad against Marth's and other characters with moves that have more range than out pikmin
But with the gliding mechanic gone mks shouldn't be too much of a threat now
And also to address about the nerfing of a character by half
I want to say sheik was nerfed beyond belief
She had no kill power in brawl and became so hard to use that most people dropped her
So if the pikmin aren't buffed then olimar will be the new nerfed sheik
A ghost of a top tier
Exactly I agree with every point made. When I watch that Nintendo Direct, that left a sour feel for me. Going from Brawlimar (mained from the beginning if the name doesn't give it away) to PM (nerfed to the grave but feels the same at least) to this, I might have to retire him. Only time and personal gameplay will tell in the end though. Still >:/

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Because 3 Pikmin only is stupid.
I felt the same at first but this now means that his recovery is much better, Solomar will probably be much stronger, managing pikmin is more technical than ever before, as well as more predictable, and overall it just encourages less spamming and being able to manage your pikmin better which in turn will increase the skill gap between Olimar players imo. He looks a little bit harder to use but can still be quite good if they didn't change up his moveset too too much.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I don't see how anyone can be happy that they ruined Olimar, sure his recovery is great but they removed what makes Olimar Olimar. He's supposed to be surrounded by a bunch of Pikmin, not a measly three. This removes almost every aspect of his previous strategy, it required a certain skill to know when and where to pluck certain Pikmin and how to order and use them to your advantage, now he just seems dumbed down enough for any bloke on Miiverse to use. Now there's basically no point in using Pikmin throw, and you can't even have one of each type of Pikmin at the ready anymore, if you want to switch up between Purple and Red Pikmin you'll have to keep killing off your own Pikmin to spawn more in a set order, so good luck keeping Pikmin fully grown to a flower Pikmin as well.

Olimar is one of my mains, and one of my favorite additions to Smash ever, and this news nearly ruined the whole damn game for me. I can only hope it changes.
Amen to that.

Also Olimar's recovery looks like garbage.

Last edited:

Shel

Smash Cadet
You guys are looking into it WAY too much. Just like nearly everyone still believes the rosters will be different just because we don't have 3DS screens for the newcomers. (It's because the 3DS character designs take more work than the HD non-cellshaded ones do)

Just use your common sense instead of your paranoid sense; your common sense says "I have no idea, and no way to find out." while your paranoid sense says "negative negative negative!"
Man this thread is hilarious.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
3 Pikmin IS kinda dumb...it just seems ridiculous that the guy who needs 100 pikmin to kill a mutant ladybug is going to be fighting the king of evil and other powerful fighters with 1/33rd of that. Plus three pikmin only is just aesthetically tragic.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
3 Pikmin IS kinda dumb...it just seems ridiculous that the guy who needs 100 pikmin to kill a mutant ladybug is going to be fighting the king of evil and other powerful fighters with 1/33rd of that. Plus three pikmin only is just aesthetically tragic.
Back to Canon versus non canon arguments, change versus conservation.
I have faith Olimar is going to be well balanced and serve the fans well, this seems to be shown in every character we have seen. It makes him a bit easier to use to only have three Pikmin sure, but it also makes the entire screen easier to watch, making it more based on skill and less on chaos, which is again, a competitive edge, and I think had as much to do with the Pikmin number change as the graphics limitation (evenif 24 pikmin could be on the 3ds stage, I would not want it, that would be cluttered and confusing each time Olimar were chosen, and it would ruin the character for me). It forces players to use them wisely and effectively, and not button mash.

Three pikmin at a time still keeps his essence, and allows him more strength in giving each Pikmin more responsibility, less time needed to draw them (because in my understanding, the balancing of his attacks would mean each Pikmin must be stronger if there are fewer, or each attack is just weaker overall which is implausible), and, of course, helps his other aided attributes, such as a new recovery.

solarunity6

Smash Rookie
As long as each pikmin receives a buff on how much damage they can take (and maybe how much the dish out), I think the change wouldn't completely ruin olimar's viability.

Top Bottom