• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What I don't get about good peach players.

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
Ok, my friend has gotten me into the whole competitive smash thing. I've been playing a couple of months with IC and Peach. He says to get better you need to play real people. My problem is that everyone that i know that is near me are complete noobs, so I for the most part just play the computer.

So I watch vids of people that are actually good with peach, and there are a couple of things that Peachs pull off that i dont understand how it even works.

Peachs Dair seems sooo weak. I'm always seeing people dairing-floatcanceling and doing an Nair, but i'm always trying it and it just seems to be such an inconveinant thing to use. dair has such low priority that i almost never actually pull it off.

Also i've noticed that players do a lot of: turnup, jump, throw turnup, float towards, fair.
Is this really efficient? because i seem to be missing something, because i rarely can throw the turnup accurately enough to hit them and get in range for an Fair.

My biggest weakness is probabaly my mindgames. Because I always play CPUs and ****ty people I'm so used to just sidestepping anytime someone runs toward me. I mean, against computers and bad people it works fine, but i know its noob. Does anyone have any good advice on how to be good at faking out someone with peach?

Also if anyone has general advice on move combonations that im misssing, it would be a great help! thanks

Quaz

Smash Master
The dair works when you're floating above other players because they end up jumping into it at times, especially when they're shielding. When you do a floating dair on top of someone's shield, their choice or reaction is very limited.

Throwing a turnip followed by a floating fair is a good approach strategy, especially when they end up shielding the turnip, then you can land the floating fair and follow it with a jab (it pretty much gets you a free grab), however the foe still has the option of double jumping over you as you throw the turnip, this gives you the chance to quickly just land and dash dance some as they come down from above.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Sorry to hear that everyone you can play are n00bs.

I use Peach once in a while, so I use Dair once in a while too. I can't really give you advice on how/when/why to execute it, sorry.

If you have Mindgame problems, try this: Play against your n00b friend/s and practice your mg that way. By doing so, you can practice your mindgame without worrying about getting pwned.

D

Deleted member

I d-air on the way down from being hit almost instinctively. I don't know the priority exactly, but it certainly cuts through a lot of potential juggling attacks..

Aside from that, dair-nair is like a peach staple. It's just a combo that's hard to punish.

And yeah, turnip to fair is a pretty standard peach approach.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
As Quaz said, you have to float cancel to space yourself with your feet touching the head/shoulder area of your opponent (if they're not human-esque then at least the top portion) Then you just use dair, and right before the dair animation ends, let go of your float and almost simultaneously use nair. You have you be careful though because you can't always charge in floating like that.

As for throwing turnips you just need to visualize the trajectory and make sure you're already moving forward in the air as you throw it, so that by the time it gets to your opponent you're already in his face to do a fair/nair.

Also a tip for training against cpu's, don't waste your time battling lvl 9's. They can be pretty annoying at times, power blocking projectiles, power shielding attacks, and pulling grabs out of their ***...so basically a very unrealistic opponent that can consistently screw up your combos. Better to train vs a low lvl to practice your combos and techs. I use lvl 3 cpu's when I'm practicing techs alone because they are advanced enough to DI so they aren't total sandbags, but nooby enough not to be frame perfect...

Oh and sry to hear about your bad opponents, but why not just practice more with your friend? If he introduced you to competetive smash then he must be at least decent. All there is to do is improve by studying vids and practicing vs each other. It might help if you introduce more people to competitive smash and get a group of good players started :)

chef-hado

Smash Cadet
dair leaves open a lot of options, like FC into the lovable d-smash
if you float the d-air you dan do like...2 or 3? in one float? i think that's it and when you do that you can always change from dair to any other aerial, fair of they open their shield or bair if they roll

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
hey, thanks alot guys i really appreciate the help!

Yeah, i usually stupidly charge in floating and try to use the low priority dair and get hurt. I try to use that combo more as a punisher, and ill use the turnip-fair as an approach.

Also, i'd like to note that i'm trying to get my friends into competitive play. Because they play just as much as i do, its just that im much more knowledgable.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
What I don't get about Peach players is why they like to spam D-smash. I mean, you'd think it had crazy priority and hit multiple times for large amounts of damage.

;)

leefan

Smash Cadet
"hit multiple times"
lol, that reminds me of some stupid idiot who crouch canceled 3 of my dsmashes
what i really like doing is grabbing a turnip, running towards them, and then rite infront of them throw up, they normally try to shield in anticipation, so grab and up. also, standard mindgames, like wavedashing back and dash dancing work wonders. floating also works to your advantage. dash dancing followed by a retreating fair usually works wonders for me as well, also to piss them off (although tis is really stupid) is to up B (yes, OMG) and ff, then pull up last second, then ff again, tech, and w/e you want
hm... peach is fun to play, especially in banned stages... imean, subcon and fourside were banned FOR peach reasons, with bomber cancel... thats fun to do against nubby neighbors; when they try to get you, float and use your o so low priority d air
omg, i started rambling again

Mama

Smash Ace
Well the things you're talking about will become second nature as you get better you just need to keep practicing with people. My advice would be to teach the people you play with how to get better. Show them advanced techniques and explain things. If they aren't close enough to you then I'd recommend finding a tournament and play friendly matches.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
The Dair is a effective move. It's not strong, but it doesn't have to be. It could set up for different moves, like Dair then Nair quickly. I think it raises them up when you do Dair and Nair knocks them back quite of distance. Dair then Nair or Float Dair, FC, then Dsmash is pretty much two of the common yet effective moves to do.

People use the turnips a lot because it starts combos and it helps in other ways. Like, if you short hop throw the turnip, they'll mostly block, and you can rush in for a grab or something. Plus, some to most are scared of turnips because they don't know it's a stich or not. Fairs are strong, but they're used as the end of their combos or they're certain it'll connect, because it's slow.

One question, you do know what's Float Cancel (FC) right?

What I don't get about Peach players is why they like to spam D-smash. I mean, you'd think it had crazy priority and hit multiple times for large amounts of damage.

;)
Simple, they love the effect of it. It does damage, while it sends your opponent to the opposite direction, and it gots lots of priority. It can suck you up if they're over a platform. It's also the...probably the second fastest move in the game (space animal's reflectors are definitly the fastest). an opponent CCing would be the same, but worse :p

Unfortunatly, many peach player think, this move will make them godly, but they get badly punished for it. Yet some of the Non peach players say it's broken :p

chef-hado

Smash Cadet
they think it's broken because they usually have bad di and get stuck in it
i mean, how else do you rack up damage on really annoying space animals? they've got just about every other advantage one you
dair-FC-dsmash works wonders XD

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I feel you on the competition part....I can't really add anything else in there, these guys are the experts. What I can say though, is learn from what you see, but don't rely on others, either. You have to be your OWN peach, and not a clone. God forbid you get good and then start being called another "so-and-so".

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Join the club buddy, I have the same problem. Most of my friends aren't nearly as good as I would want them to be. If you want to play someone good, you can use these forums to set up a meeting with a better player, or you can go to your local game store and enter a small tournament.

Top Bottom