• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What have you done as a newb in mafia? What were your thoughts?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I remember using inactivity reasons as reasons for a lynch in my Newb game. Ubermario was a little lurky because he didn't understand how to play the game, and I had addressed him and such. He would ATE me and stuff. I think we lynched him.

I also used the noob card alot, and Vandie let me go with it <3 Then Acrostic thought I was scum with Vandie <333

As I started playing more, I have still played bad. I did drop wifoming and fluff posting. I still have space to improve.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
My first game ever, a Chrono Trigger game, I was Robo and said I had an ability that told me random facts and probabilities that my robot mind had figured out to be true

and told people that my biggest scumpick was 3/4 likely to be scum
because it was easier than finding a reason for gut
she was scum, GG

moral is, don't ever lie as town

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Smash Bros. I don't even remember that well. IIRC Paprika Killer was scum but I thought he was town because he hammered Super Smash Bros. Fan, who was lynched and flipped scum. Toward the end of the game I did have a scum read on the third member Chibo, but I just wasn't vocal enough about it and the rest of town let him slide; I think he got dice for that game.

Newbie 5 I won as Mafia. My partner Mayling died N1 at the hands of an opposing scumteam but I managed to make it through the rest of the game - that was the one I (and Sworddancer, who pretty much played just as well as if not better than me) got dice for, which I'm actually quite comfortable with.

Newbie 6 I was scum and won, too; Swiss was my scum partner in what I believe was his first game and he ended up helping the team a lot more than I did. On top of just playing a decent game all-around it helps that he was GF and the cultist targeted him N1 :troll:

Edit: Somewhere along the line I think I lost track of this thread's intention and got nostalgic for a bit

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I think I get the prize for worst screwup.

In castlemaf, I was a mason recruiter. I outed that I had a quicktopic, OMGUS'd everyone, and then got modkilled.

My first (and only so far) scumgame was my second game, halo mafia. You see, I never actually read the thread, I just bandwagon'd on thoughts...

Swiss

Smash Lord
DH, it was my screw-up too. I should have you seen as noob-town. Terrible play by me, silly/newbie play by you.

I've only screwed up as anti-town once, and that was when I allowed myself to get antagonised by Chaco - he pressured me on what we both knew was a null tell, but I couldn't detach myself from the situation quick enough.

As noob-town I used to let smart players mindgame me, purely because I enjoyed playing against them so much. OS in Community is the best example. And then again in Majoras :| It's partly what made me change style to get my way. Don't always rely on general consensus.

See people? Even Swiss can admit to making mistakes. Making a mistake is understandable, and we all do it - failure to learn from your mistakes is what will relegate you to the level of forever average.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I've only screwed up as anti-town once, and that was when I allowed myself to get antagonised by Chaco - he pressured me on what we both knew was a null tell, but I couldn't detach myself from the situation quick enough.
ToS mafia was the best.

This thread probably shouldn't exist. Ryker's right, it could easily of went in the social thread.

Umm, but problems with my early play, sure.

Tree stump mafia was my second game and Code Geass mafia my third game (I think, and I'm not counting newbie 6 which I replaced out of). Both those games generally went astray for me. I don't quite remember why tbh, I think I just generally did bad. I do remember feeling out of my league both games, simply because I was jumping from newbie 5 to games with much more experienced players than me.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What have I done as a newb in mafia?

He was town, I was scum, my team ended up winning. Yay DR mafia :3

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
In Dissidia, I took Kuz' town stance on me for granted and fell right into his trap, resulting in my scum flip.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i trolled my first two games and didn't feel bad about it...

well..maybe a little.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
My first three games.

Game 1: Actually I was probably the best player of the group in this game up till day 3. I was town, and I guess my problem was that I wasn't actively pushing hard enough for my reads, despite being the town leader in a sense. I hesitated on lynching an inactive that I thought was scum and he nearly won the game because of it.

Game 2: Welp. I got nkilled N0 because of some silly game mechanics, so no comment here.

Game 3 (first game on smashboards): I didn't coordinate with my scummate well and tried to abuse the fact that the experienced players wouldn't know my playstyle, and then when Hilt called me out, I went V/LA without giving a defense first. The day of the deadline, I actually saw Hilt IRL and stared him down, and he was like "you gonna get lynched bro." Good (terrible, actually) times.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I didn't know what mafia was, but I played it because Tery was like "I'll help you!" so I was like "Ok!" (and since it was Mario Mafia)

I took a great liking to it. I liked being able to deceive everyone as scum, yet I did react like a newb would to Vandie Pressure.

I freaked out over an RVS vote, and voted Vandie back with incredible OMGUS. He then explained what it was and I backed off, and he thought I was town the rest of the game :p

Then Acrostic lied about his cop result on Vandie because he really thought I was scum with Vandie, and vandie flipped town. Glyph insta voted in mylo, and I accidently voted when Kuz voted Acrostic and he was lynched.

And that's how I got my dice.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The post I made earlier was from my first game, which was in the Disco Room Upick mafia, hosted by Xiivi. It was a 22 person game, and I was in a 4 man scum team. There was also a 3 person zombie team, a serial killer, and a satanic cult gave NKed townies the option to join them instead of dying.
It was pretty hectic.

Toward the end of the game, it was me and 2 scummates, against mentosman, kuz, J, mike g, and TPK. I was Kirby, Mafia Graverobber, which meant that after a townie with a nighttime PR died, I could take their power and use it once. We had just killed Glyph, town cop, recently, so I took his power and investigated Mike G, who turned up innocent. When the Day started, I used process of elimination to figure out who the last zombie was... TPK had friendly neighbored me, so I knew he was town. Also knew Mike was town. I had strong townreads on J and Kuz. I claimed my Power Role (lied a bit about the name and alignment... "professional town copycat") lied and said I got a scum investigation on mentosman. I also used an earlier instance in which we "hypocopped" to show that I had investigated earlier (we had another cop die earlier on) Everybody believed me, he was lynched, turned out to be the last zombie, then we did our NK and won. Town kind of didn't expect it because they thought the mafia team would only have 3 members, not 4. Makes sense tbh, but whatever!

In that game, I played the noob card really hard in the beginning (because I really had no idea what I was doing)
Everyone believed I was town. Xiivi gave me MVP in that game ^_^

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I played two games on AiB before I moved to Smashboards (note this was in 2008-9)

First Game: I subbed out due to activity or being bored. I don't know which. I was playing decent like a newbie in a newbie game of course.

Second Game: Drama Filled and Stupid. LOL

Smashboards:

Nightmare before christmas I raged, got really upset, let too many emotions get in the way, and tried to rage quit around 15(no joke) times because I wasn't having any fun at all. Lynched Day 2 because of it.

Newbie 11 I was having a blast until I got to day 3 and I just stopped caring.

Cinemafia :/

Dr.Who :/

Rusty Guillotine I hard core crumbed really early because I was one of the next ones to get lynched and ended up not really being able to use my ability.

Disco Room Upick Two was just an awful game. I subbed into a spot, played it awfully, and got a different scum faction a win. Atleast town didn't win (cool).

TWEWY was also awful. I don't even remember what I did really wrong except followed wifom like a dumb ****.

CineMafia... I honestly don't remember what happened this game. I got protected and I could confirm the doc or some ****. Yeah. Probably claimed my role too early.

I have one more game to talk about, but it's on going, so I'll wait for it to be over.

TL ; DR:

I'm still a noob, and even with all of these games, I still feel that I belong(and will probably stay) in the newbie category player wise. I still make newbie mistakes, and I have a TON of work to do improving wise. But hey, everyone eventually gets better... right? I'm just slow :D.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Sounds like you don't have fun playing mafia O_o

Of my three completed games, I only won the first one (as scum) and got NKed night 1 in the third...but they were still fun.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Asdioh you were a beast in UPick 2 though. I was practically shouting with joy when I saw that someone vigged J. I thought he was gonna coast to a win. Internet brofists just don't even make the impact I needed to express my glee.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Asdioh you were a beast in UPick 2 though. I was practically shouting with joy when I saw that someone vigged J. I thought he was gonna coast to a win. Internet brofists just don't even make the impact I needed to express my glee.
considering my role was Random JoaT that had a 1/4 chance to either vig kill, protect, watch, or neighbor recruit, J was the obvious choice of that night heh.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
but hey I didn't mind killing you because you were scummy anyway!

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I played two games on AiB before I moved to Smashboards (note this was in 2008-9)
Which two did you play in AiB mafia?

Honestly, my first game I played I only won because I caught Ryker's lie at the last second. The first few games AiB played (well, in GS) allowed for outside communication by town as well as scum and by the fourth or fifth game, it was pretty obvious how broken that was. That went away quickly after that.

I didn't stop playing like a newbie until my fifteenth or sixteenth game. Ever since that first game, I was considered a power player for taking advantage of a scum mistake in private communication and exploiting it to win the game and I don't feel like I deserved it. It drastically slowed down my progress as a player because no one challenged me to improve. I feel like I'm better now, though I still feel like I fluke at finding scum instead of actually tracking them. I read too much into some things and not enough into others.

EDIT: Yes, Ryker and I go back really far. He and I both played in the first Mafia game on AiB (for GS), though he vanished until its tenth official game where he subbed in for someone, then immediately died to bring someone else back. After that point, he and I have both played in nearly every game, except for the few where I decided I retired cause it wasn't fun.

I'm hoping it's better here.

Hey Ryker, remember that one time where you and I both got modkilled before the game started cause Sprite screwed up?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm not good at mafia but I enjoy it. First game was Upick1 in Disco, same game Asdioh was in. I was his scummate as Charizard mafia strongman, so I was doing the nightkills. I had this restriction where I had to post flaming, funny enough Xiivi put the same restriction on me Upick2 except I had to be flaming gay. Well back to Upick1, zombies were crippled when we killed 2 of them before D2 and town bomb took out the SK. So we went along until my kills stopped working, twice. So when the town hero was lynched a bunch of cultists died and we learned why certain people didn't die. Frown made up a bs claim that he copped Morrigan was the cult leader and lol he guessed right. So we got cult, then we hit lylo where Asdioh did his brillant play of claiming back-up cop. Got the last zombie and we won.

He was key that game.

For myself, I felt like I got lucky just like how what happened in Fire Emblem mafia, I play along get a wagon on myself started, then people just forgot about me for one reason or another. Overswarm was the one who said it better than I could.

For my first game it was long but mad fun.

Pink Lemonade

Smash Rookie
I had trouble re-building an image as a replacement, and then I just got tired of being called scum, I just wanted to see how wrong everyone was.

But I didn't have a read on you at all lol. I was focusing on Zen, X1, Luxor, Beat, etc.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
First game on SWF, I got lynched Day 1 arguing mechanics that I was right about.

Second game, I bussed both scummates and won the game.

On AiB, I played in the first two mafia games with Laundry. I was new to mafia, but common sense tells you a lot in this game. I'm an analytical person and logic comes easy. The chips were down because private communication ****ing sucks for forum mafia and I had to try and claim cop to save the game as Village Idiot (mafia member with no kill power and no weight in majority). Second game, I think I got lynched Day 2 as town for being right. I left while other people played 8 more games. I came back and was still a **** ton better than a lot of players.

I don't think I was ever a newbie because you shouldn't make newbie mistakes with some common sense.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Then post your first game so we can judge that :awesome: <-- I like this smiley.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Swiss was in my newbie game. I was doomed from the start.

July

Smash Apprentice
In my first game, Newbie 11, I was scum with X1 and took all of his advice and lurked a bit but we won : D

Then in Celeb Mafia I roleblocker which was hella awesome, but I trusted Kuz and followed him a lot and then mass claim lead to bad things then I AtE'd and got lynched, then we lost ><

Then Rusty Guillotine I scumhunted on the right person, ditched it and made a horrible case on J, then after the first scum lynch that pretty much confirmed J as town I was really lost and followed J the rest of the game, and won as town although I didn't help at all.

And...I'm still a newb and acting as such in other games xD I still wagon hop and flail about in games at times because I have weak reads, but working on getting better.

Top Bottom