• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite upset with the fact that they keep telling us that the NX isn't replacing the Wii U because I think they're showing the opposite with the second delay of Breath of the Wild and the fact that it's gonna be on the NX. And correct me if I'm wrong but I think that recently, they said that they will reduce the production of the Wii U at the release of the NX (and they'll totally stop in 2018).

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
The March Direct was pretty good, but since I don't own a 3DS, I was kind of disappointed when 75% of the Direct was 3DS related.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As for the SFZ topic, while learning curve isn't a bad thing at all, it's really not a good look when you have the developers and PR repeatedly saying "Don't worry, it might take 30-60 mins for the controls to click." Not sure if I want to be hearing that tbh if I was the average consumer. And when you have multiple journalists bring up the controls as an issue, it might've been best to have gone back to the drawing board and considered adding an option for another control scheme. I don't think this is a Skyward Sword situation either where the game had to go all in with the motion controls (but gyro in SF's case).

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Now for a mini rant.

What frustrates me the most is that people defend the new games say things like 'oh you just want to play the same game over and over again', but what they don't seem to realize is that you can make different games with the same foundation. Look at the mainline Super Mario series; the foundation for that series is platforming, level portals, and power ups, every game from the original sprite versions to 64, the Galaxy games, and even the black sheep Sunshine have kept the basic fundamentals the Mario series introduced from the very beginning, and I don't think anyone would claim that any of those games are just 'the same games over and over'. Each game has had their own spin on these elements, sometimes good sometimes bad, but they're all there and they all stay true to the series. It also doesn't stop the series from going to new places, telling new stories, introducing new elements, and introducing new characters, so I see no reason people defend Nintendo ditching some of PM's foundation acting like the series couldn't go anywhere, like there's was nothing left to do. It just makes no sense.
Some of us break away from this, but as a general rule, humans are creatures of habit. We generally respond well to familiarity but when something breaks that familiarity, major backlash is almost guaranteed. It happened to Sticker Star, it happened to SFZ and Color Splash is almost certain to be met with the same result. Color Splash may very well be a good game, but I can't ever foresee it reaching the status of games like TTYD.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Some of us break away from this, but as a general rule, humans are creatures of habit. We generally respond well to familiarity but when something breaks that familiarity, major backlash is almost guaranteed. It happened to Sticker Star, it happened to SFZ and Color Splash is almost certain to be met with the same result. Color Splash may very well be a good game, but I can't ever foresee it reaching the status of games like TTYD.
That's what bothers me about Metroid FF. I think it's going to be fun, but it's not a Metroid game in the traditional sense. I wish they'd stop labeling new ideas after old things.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
That's what bothers me about Metroid FF. I think it's going to be fun, but it's not a Metroid game in the traditional sense. I wish they'd stop labeling new ideas after old things.
..FedForce is a spinoff. A spinoff in continuity with the main series, yes, but it's a spinoff game. That's what spnoffs are; new games with the names of older ones that aren't the same genre.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
..FedForce is a spinoff. A spinoff in continuity with the main series, yes, but it's a spinoff game. That's what spnoffs are; new games with the names of older ones that aren't the same genre.
Well that is just the problem with FF. Metriod fans have been waiting for a new game for so long and when they finally announce something new it is just a spin-off game. If they would have at least told people they were working on a main Metriod game before announcing FF things would have been a lot better.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You've clearly shown that you have inherent bias towards Nintendo. You make tons of claims saying that you heard it from somewhere without being able to give any sources. Any time someone criticizes something about Nintendo you either get really defensive for Nintendo or try to give some sort of explanation for why they might be doing something like claiming videos on YouTube. A lot of your "evidence" is just based on stuff that you "heard" or what seems to just be anecdotes.
I was pretty clear about what I was and wasn't sure about... What else haven't I backed up?

Because there's usually a sane reason. "Nintendo shoehorned motion controls into SF0 to appeal to casuals" is faaaaar from the truth, for example.

As for the SFZ topic, while learning curve isn't a bad thing at all, it's really not a good look when you have the developers and PR repeatedly saying "Don't worry, it might take 30-60 mins for the controls to click." Not sure if I want to be hearing that tbh if I was the average consumer. And when you have multiple journalists bring up the controls as an issue, it might've been best to have gone back to the drawing board and considered adding an option for another control scheme. I don't think this is a Skyward Sword situation either where the game had to go all in with the motion controls (but gyro in SF's case).
Critics are dumb. We've had "notable" ones do stupid **** like go around the same loop in a cave for an hour before whining about it, or better yet praised PMSS's blatantly flawed gameplay. I don't think we needed to pander to them.

Again, there is no other option here. You can't move, brake/boost/bank/barrel roll, and aim at the same time without the gyro. What'd be the point of giving us all this control and doing nothing with it?

SF0 didn't have anywhere near the backlash of PMSS though. Reviewers didn't like it and some people on obscure forums hated it but that's it.

Meanwhile BotW is barely recognizable as a Zelda game and it's ridiculously popular.

Well that is just the problem with FF. Metriod fans have been waiting for a new game for so long and when they finally announce something new it is just a spin-off game. If they would have at least told people they were working on a main Metriod game before announcing FF things would have been a lot better.
Their options were to release it now or sit on it for another generation... They didn't say there's a mainline Metroid in the works because it doesn't exist right now.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't disagree, but have they ever really promoted it as a spin-off (I'm really asking), because I'm getting the vibe that this is the future of the Metroid series, all this team bull****.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I don't disagree, but have they ever really promoted it as a spin-off (I'm really asking), because I'm getting the vibe that this is the future of the Metroid series, all this team bull****.
There's literally no reason to assume it's not merely a canonical spinoff.

Spinoffs focus on particular topics of a world, so FedForce is a spinoff of Prime focusing on the Galactic Federation. It's got a new artstyle, sure, but it's still a spinoff title. The only way it'd be a main-series title is if they just called it "Metroid Prime 4" or "Metroid: Federation Force" or something like that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
There's literally no reason to assume it's not merely a canonical spinoff.

Spinoffs focus on particular topics of a world, so FedForce is a spinoff of Prime focusing on the Galactic Federation. It's got a new artstyle, sure, but it's still a spinoff title. The only way it'd be a main-series title is if they just called it "Metroid Prime 4" or "Metroid: Federation Force" or something like that.
Why? We haven't seen anything Metroid since Other M. The creators gave seemed to hint that they really don't know/not confident in where to take the series. The title really suggests nothing to me. By your point the first 3 MP games could be considered spinoffs as well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Why? We haven't seen anything Metroid since Other M. The creators gave seemed to hint that they really don't know/not confident in where to take the series. The title really suggests nothing to me. By your point the first 3 MP games could be considered spinoffs as well.
The game has been in development since before Prime 3 came out and the story and gameplay were largely decided then... They're not sure where to take the series because nobody wants to make it. The point here is to try and re-establish something.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The game has been in development since before Prime 3 came out and the story and gameplay were largely decided then... They're not sure where to take the series because nobody wants to make it. The point here is to try and re-establish something.
Doesn't that kind of prove my point? This seems to be the direction they want to take the series. It's not traditionally like the rest of the series, and can spell the end of traditional Metroid games as well known them if successful. When they planned to make it has no consequence in this conversation, the point is it very well be the replacement.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Doesn't that kind of prove my point? This seems to be the direction they want to take the series. It's not traditionally like the rest of the series, and can spell the end of traditional Metroid games as well known them if successful. When they planned to make it has no consequence in this conversation, the point is it very well be the replacement.
I'm currently under the impression that Federation Force isn't meant to be the future of Metroid, just merely a spinoff that takes place in the Prime era, just from the perspective of the GF Marines. Though it's said that Tanabe (producer of the Prime series) hopes that this entry will lead to a true Prime sequel sometime in the near future, but nothing has been set in stone yet, or so he says. I don't think there's too much to worry about, but one never knows I guess.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm currently under the impression that Federation Force isn't meant to be the future of Metroid, just merely a spinoff that takes place in the Prime era, just from the perspective of the GF Marines. Though it's said that Tanabe (producer of the Prime series) hopes that this entry will lead to a true Prime sequel sometime in the near future, but nothing has been set in stone yet, or so he says. I don't think there's too much to worry about, but one never knows I guess.
I'm hoping this is just it, but they've been too mum on thexactly future if this series for me to have any confidence in it either way. I'm really hoping we get a Prime style entry for the NX.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
We are; Tanabe already said he's started working on potential storylines for Prime 4, IIRC. We know Sylux is planned, at least; so an NX title seems likely.

The only reason that we didn't get a new WiiU game is because of the flogging sales of the WiiU.

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
Now, first thing first, Nintendo is probably one of my favorite companies. But nothing is perfect, including Nintendo. So what has nintendo done recently or even way back that made you sad?
They made me wait a **** decade for Pikmin 3 and chances are they're going to pull the same stunt for a Kid Icarus: Uprising sequel.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I have owned a 3DS for a year now... and yep, there isn't much anything interesting on the shelves. I have bought five games, and I have been disappointed by four of them. The only one I like is Majora's Mask. The rest, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Smash 3DS, Super Mystery Dungeon and Fire Emblem Fates Birthright, were all disappointing.

I was so sad because Mystery Dungeon is my favorite series. Well, no further than Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I have owned a 3DS for a year now... and yep, there isn't much anything interesting on the shelves. I have bought five games, and I have been disappointed by four of them. The only one I like is Majora's Mask. The rest, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Smash 3DS, Super Mystery Dungeon and Fire Emblem Fates Birthright, were all disappointing.

I was so sad because Mystery Dungeon is my favorite series. Well, no further than Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky.
I heard Kirby Robobot is arguably the best game in the series. Worth a look and pretty much brand new.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

Well, there are games like Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus Uprising (one of the greatest games on 3DS I think), A Link Between Worlds, the Mario & Luigi series, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and others (among some notable 3rd party games like MH4U and the upcoming Generations). Maybe some of those might strike your fancy.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I heard Kirby Robobot is arguably the best game in the series. Worth a look and pretty much brand new.
Usually the new Kirby games are called the best when they come out, and later on, people find a spot for it. As a huge Kirby fan, Planet Robobot is one of my favorites, maybe 3rd, with my personal favorites being The Crystal Shards (Kirby 64) and Return to Dreamland.
I recommend Planet Robobot, and if you want to, Triple Deluxe is worth playing too.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
They moved away from primarily catering to the demographic that made them a household name in the first place to an audience in which success is fleeting and inconsistent, if achieved at all.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
They moved away from primarily catering to the demographic that made them a household name in the first place to an audience in which success is fleeting and inconsistent, if achieved at all.
The Wii was a big hit among casuals, which in turn coaxed Nintendo to attempt to capture the same audience with the Wii U, but we all saw how that turned out. If anything, they should try to focus more on the core gaming audience. That might yield better results....and maybe tone down the amount of gimmicks that could potentially turn people away.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The Wii was a big hit among casuals, which in turn coaxed Nintendo to attempt to capture the same audience with the Wii U, but we all saw how that turned out. If anything, they should try to focus more on the core gaming audience. That might yield better results....and maybe tone down the amount of gimmicks that could potentially turn people away.
Completely agree.

I don't see the downside to targeting the core with the hardware and some of the software, then targeting the casual with other software and optional features/gimmicks/accessories/peripherals.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
See, I don't think Duck Hunt was exactly a core game... Yaknow, one of the best selling games on the system.

Remember the NES was advertised as a toy, although not necessarily as a means to casualize it. Also remember that Mario games kept getting easier and easier back in the glory days. Lost Levels didn't make it overseas because they were afraid of it damaging their brand. SMB3 gave us a common power-up to glide and fly, made the bosses even more trivial, chopped the level length, and gave us items that let us skip levels. SMW removed all commitment from jumps, gave us basically infinite hits in most levels with Yoshi, removed the threat of jumping over anything with spin jump, and gave us the ability to fly over everything in one go.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
See, I don't think Duck Hunt was exactly a core game... Yaknow, one of the best selling games on the system.
To be fair, the vast majority of Duck Hunt's prominence arises from the fact that it was not only shipped with the system, but on the same cart as SMB itself. That said, you're very right, Duck Hunt was not a "core" game, but that's my point. I've absolutely no problem with the more casual, gimmicky games (like Duck Hunt) to entice people who otherwise might find less interest in the system, I would just like to see those experiences presented as additional to the main experience, not tied to the system in a compulsory manner (as of late through the default controls of the system - with games that use a traditional control scheme being the exception, not the rule). It's not like the Light Gun was the primary controller for the NES itself.

Remember the NES was advertised as a toy, although not necessarily as a means to casualize it.
Yes, in the west, due to the reticence of the gaming market after the preceding crash. Not so much in Japan. And soon after the "toy" angle was soon dropped, as were most of the more "gimmicky" control schemes (such as ROB and the Light Gun) when the core experience of simply the game and the default controller were found to be by far the most popular aspect of the system.

Also remember that Mario games kept getting easier and easier back in the glory days. Lost Levels didn't make it overseas because they were afraid of it damaging their brand. SMB3 gave us a common power-up to glide and fly, made the bosses even more trivial, chopped the level length, and gave us items that let us skip levels. SMW removed all commitment from jumps, gave us basically infinite hits in most levels with Yoshi, removed the threat of jumping over anything with spin jump, and gave us the ability to fly over everything in one go.
Again, to be fair, much of the features implemented to breeze through chunks of the game were not overtly easy to access for or known by the typical player, especially in the age before the internet. But you're right, for the most part the Mario games are sliding down a scale of relative ease (with exceptional levels here and there), though that's a bit unrelated to the point I'm making. It's true by making the games easier they are trying to appeal to a wider market, but they're not alienating the more "core" audience in this fashion, unlike obtuse control schemes which face derision with much more frequency.

And who knows, with the new wave of Dark Souls-esque game design, some games are upping the difficulty again. Or, like with Zelda, at least eliminating much of the previous hand-holding. Perhaps Mario, in one way or another, might follow suit. (Though given that he's Mr. Accessible, probably not)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
To be fair, the vast majority of Duck Hunt's prominence arises from the fact that it was not only shipped with the system, but on the same cart as SMB itself. That said, you're very right, Duck Hunt was not a "core" game, but that's my point. I've absolutely no problem with the more casual, gimmicky games (like Duck Hunt) to entice people who otherwise might find less interest in the system, I would just like to see those experiences presented as additional to the main experience, not tied to the system in a compulsory manner (as of late through the default controls of the system - with games that use a traditional control scheme being the exception, not the rule). It's not like the Light Gun was the primary controller for the NES itself.

Yes, in the west, due to the reticence of the gaming market after the preceding crash. Not so much in Japan. And soon after the "toy" angle was soon dropped, as were most of the more "gimmicky" control schemes (such as ROB and the Light Gun) when the core experience of simply the game and the default controller were found to be by far the most popular aspect of the system.

Again, to be fair, much of the features implemented to breeze through chunks of the game were not overtly easy to access for or known by the typical player, especially in the age before the internet. But you're right, for the most part the Mario games are sliding down a scale of relative ease (with exceptional levels here and there), though that's a bit unrelated to the point I'm making. It's true by making the games easier they are trying to appeal to a wider market, but they're not alienating the more "core" audience in this fashion, unlike obtuse control schemes which face derision with much more frequency.

And who knows, with the new wave of Dark Souls-esque game design, some games are upping the difficulty again. Or, like with Zelda, at least eliminating much of the previous hand-holding. Perhaps Mario, in one way or another, might follow suit. (Though given that he's Mr. Accessible, probably not)
I don't see the difference between a few casual games on the NES and a few casual games on the Wii... The Wiimote wasn't created to be casual bait, it was created because they could meaningfully improve or add to games with it. People were complaining about the NES controller just like people complained about the Wiimote, remember.

Even back then the more easier and accessible games sold better. SMB1 was incredibly easy for it's time, and it would of been way easier if it were feasible to make a bigger game as evidenced by SMB3 and SMW. The difficultly of games back then was just padding. Just like today, games focused on gimmicks, buzzwords and recognizable IPs...

Flutes and Star Road, yes. The basic abilities of power-ups though? No, everybody and their grandma knew Yoshi was OP. Everybody was force-fed clouds and wings by Peach. They're just primitive versions of super guide.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I don't see the difference between a few casual games on the NES and a few casual games on the Wii... The Wiimote wasn't created to be casual bait, it was created because they could meaningfully improve or add to games with it. People were complaining about the NES controller just like people complained about the Wiimote, remember.
Actually, Nintendo's main target from the Wii's lifetime was the casual audience. They wanted to gather the attention of people who don't normally play games on a regular basis as the core gamer does. To this end, Nintendo thought that motion-based control would be easier to understand for the non-gamer instead of the traditional button control setup that standard controllers use (i.e., the average person knowing how to swing their arms as opposed to knowing what a random button does). With Nintendo's logic in play here, yes, the Wii Remote was indeed casual bait, considering that the core gaming majority was more likely to flock to traditional controls.

The only issues I have with the NES controller is that it's somewhat uncomfortable (it is just a hard plastic block after all), and that they apparently make good chew toys for dogs. Of all things they could've chewed up, they chose the controllers.

Even back then the more easier and accessible games sold better. SMB1 was incredibly easy for it's time, and it would of been way easier if it were feasible to make a bigger game as evidenced by SMB3 and SMW. The difficultly of games back then was just padding. Just like today, games focused on gimmicks, buzzwords and recognizable IPs...
So are you saying games couldn't legitimately be difficult in one way or another without some sort of cheap and broken artificial difficulty? Also, there you go again flinging the word "gimmick" around like it's the be all-end all aspect of video games. "Gimmick" is a word that has multiple meanings and to throw it out so frequently, calling every notable feature of video games a gimmick causes it to lose weight extremely quickly. At that point, how do you distinguish between gameplay and gameplay gimmicks? It wouldn't be easy.

Recognizable IPs became recognizable because of their gameplay that fans loved, not because of some gimmick that may or may not have changed the way those games were played. Consistent gameplay should always be the primary focus when developing games. Without that, their popularity starts to diminish (much like what happened to a certain blue hedgehog over a decade ago). It's fine to focus on the most recognizable faces in gaming, but the developers should make sure they carry their weight.

"Buzzwords"? Elaborate if you could, because I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Actually, Nintendo's main target from the Wii's lifetime was the casual audience. They wanted to gather the attention of people who don't normally play games on a regular basis as the core gamer does. To this end, Nintendo thought that motion-based control would be easier to understand for the non-gamer instead of the traditional button control setup that standard controllers use (i.e., the average person knowing how to swing their arms as opposed to knowing what a random button does). With Nintendo's logic in play here, yes, the Wii Remote was indeed casual bait, considering that the core gaming majority was more likely to flock to traditional controls.

The only issues I have with the NES controller is that it's somewhat uncomfortable (it is just a hard plastic block after all), and that they apparently make good chew toys for dogs. Of all things they could've chewed up, they chose the controllers.

So are you saying games couldn't legitimately be difficult in one way or another without some sort of cheap and broken artificial difficulty? Also, there you go again flinging the word "gimmick" around like it's the be all-end all aspect of video games. "Gimmick" is a word that has multiple meanings and to throw it out so frequently, calling every notable feature of video games a gimmick causes it to lose weight extremely quickly. At that point, how do you distinguish between gameplay and gameplay gimmicks? It wouldn't be easy.

Recognizable IPs became recognizable because of their gameplay that fans loved, not because of some gimmick that may or may not have changed the way those games were played. Consistent gameplay should always be the primary focus when developing games. Without that, their popularity starts to diminish (much like what happened to a certain blue hedgehog over a decade ago). It's fine to focus on the most recognizable faces in gaming, but the developers should make sure they carry their weight.

"Buzzwords"? Elaborate if you could, because I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.
Initially, no. They just wanted to make something that could play games in a new, better way. Hence "Revolution."

People were complaining about the NES controller because it wasn't an Atari pad. People complained about dual analog because it wasn't tank controls/keyboard and mouse. People complained about 3D Mario because it wasn't 2D. People complain about new things because they're not old things.

No, I'm saying that difficultly was potentially a necessary evil for games of the era. If SMB1 was as easy as SMW then people could beat the whole thing with no prior experience in a few hours... NES isn't my favorite console but I do love me some Megaman.

Everything is a gimmick, so yeah. SMW's world map is as much of a gimmick as motion controls. SMB's scrolling levels were a gimmick.

Mario had a dork age too yaknow. Remember when they decided that strapping a squirt gun to his back was a good idea? Sonic's sword added more to the basic formula, lol. Somehow FLUDD was okay and motion controls aren't...

Change isn't good, and yet people are hyped for BotW. Yeah, no. It's about keeping with the times.

Nowadays it's "open world" and garbage like that. Back then it was some made up way of describing graphics like "blast processing" or a more basic gameplay descriptor like "adventure" or "gigantic world map."

Top Bottom