• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Second, and I hope I'm not alone here, but I found it jarring how Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World are now going to be on the 3DS.
Personally, I've never been too keen on the idea of console-to-handheld games either. Just look at games like Hyrule Warriors and Smash 4. For Hyrule Warriors, we already had the game on Wii U and then the Legends version comes along with a bunch of content (other than characters) the Wii U version isn't going to get (at least it seems unlikely), making Legends the definitive version of Hyrule Warriors.

And we saw what happened with Smash 4. The Climbers were left out of both versions because one of them was unable to maintain them properly, and it's already been noted which version had the issue. Now, I'm not really a fan of the Climbers, but there are plenty of players who enjoyed using them in Melee and Brawl and were likely deeply disappointed by their absence because Smash 3DS couldn't include them. Like I said, I don't have any sort of affinity toward the Climbers but I don't like losing content for reasons like this.

I also have some bittersweet thoughts about Smash Run. It's a lot of fun. It really is. Smash Run is easily the best game type in Smash 3DS....and therein lies the problem. It's available ONLY in Smash 3DS, while the Wii U version gets....Smash Tour. I don't necessarily hate it, but Smash tour isn't something that I'm going to get a lot of hours out of, and I'm sure many other players feel the same way. Essentially, it's a waste of space compared to Smash Run. If the 3DS version didn't exist, I'd be willing to bet that the Wii U version would've had a bigger and better version of Smash Run, the aforementioned Climbers and who knows what else. I firmly believe Smash is a console game, not a handheld one.

Zerinus

Smash Rookie
Personally, I've never been too keen on the idea of console-to-handheld games either. Just look at games like Hyrule Warriors and Smash 4. For Hyrule Warriors, we already had the game on Wii U and then the Legends version comes along with a bunch of content (other than characters) the Wii U version isn't going to get (at least it seems unlikely), making Legends the definitive version of Hyrule Warriors.

And we saw what happened with Smash 4. The Climbers were left out of both versions because one of them was unable to maintain them properly, and it's already been noted which version had the issue. Now, I'm not really a fan of the Climbers, but there are plenty of players who enjoyed using them in Melee and Brawl and were likely deeply disappointed by their absence because Smash 3DS couldn't include them. Like I said, I don't have any sort of affinity toward the Climbers but I don't like losing content for reasons like this.

I also have some bittersweet thoughts about Smash Run. It's a lot of fun. It really is. Smash Run is easily the best game type in Smash 3DS....and therein lies the problem. It's available ONLY in Smash 3DS, while the Wii U version gets....Smash Tour. I don't necessarily hate it, but Smash tour isn't something that I'm going to get a lot of hours out of, and I'm sure many other players feel the same way. Essentially, it's a waste of space compared to Smash Run. If the 3DS version didn't exist, I'd be willing to bet that the Wii U version would've had a bigger and better version of Smash Run, the aforementioned Climbers and who knows what else. I firmly believe Smash is a console game, not a handheld one.
Since we're on the topic of the idea of having 2 iterations of the same game on console and handheld, I think Xenoblade Chronicles is the biggest prime example of this. It is cool that they reiterated it, but im not sure why they did it on the new 3ds instead of the Wii U. I really feel like Xenoblade Chronicles is a much better console experience and it's really meant to be that way, and that it may be a little more underwhealming on the new 3ds. i know they probably just wanted people to buy the new 3ds, but really, again, a game that massive... just doesn't feel right on a handheld, atleast idealistically. I'm not directly affected by this because i played it on the Wii and it was fantastic.

I mean, come on. it sounds better, looks bigger, and it's more immersive on a TV than on a handheld.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Since we're on the topic of the idea of having 2 iterations of the same game on console and handheld, I think Xenoblade Chronicles is the biggest prime example of this. It is cool that they reiterated it, but im not sure why they did it on the new 3ds instead of the Wii U. I really feel like Xenoblade Chronicles is a much better console experience and it's really meant to be that way, and that it may be a little more underwhealming on the new 3ds. i know they probably just wanted people to buy the new 3ds, but really, again, a game that massive... just doesn't feel right on a handheld, atleast idealistically. I'm not directly affected by this because i played it on the Wii and it was fantastic.

I mean, come on. it sounds better, looks bigger, and it's more immersive on a TV than on a handheld.
Xenoblade is a pretty big game, it makes more sense to develop it for a platform that has the resources a game like that needs to function properly, or to get the most out of it. That's what should've happened with some of the games that were mentioned earlier. Locking a significant amount of content behind one version or cutting corners just to make both versions play similarly when one is clearly lacking in hardware just seems like poor decision-making.

Yeah, it does seem somewhat likely that developing Xenoblade for the N3DS was more of a testing ground for the updated power of the platform. Which is cool I guess, since it can run some games better and the additional buttons and C-nub allow for greater control. Though I can't help but think it might be an excuse for more dual-platform releases.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That's not the reason the Metroid fanbase doesn't want to buy Federation Force.
FF is basically Prime's combat, polished so it can stand on it's own, and added multiplayer.

If you enjoyed Prime, why wouldn't you enjoy FF?

Really though, what's wrong with releasing an experimental title that's been worked on since Prime 3? Are they just supposed to sit on their work for a decade? It's most likely the infamous Metroid Dread...

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
If you enjoyed Prime, why wouldn't you enjoy FF?
For one thing, it's not Metroid in a traditional sense, it lacks the general atmosphere that the series is known for and players want. Another thing is the character design being somewhat goofy for a Metroid game, which I can kinda understand, it's a design that doesn't really lend itself well to the universe. Samus not being the star of the show is yet another complaint I've heard. And some have this idea that Federation Force is a sign of things to come. Combine all that with the fact that this is the only Metroid we've gotten since the Other M fiasco (another game that left a sour taste in players' mouths), and uh, yeah, stuff like this happens.

That said, from a gameplay standpoint, Federation Force looks to be pretty solid in its own right. I won't make final judgment until I have the chance to try it for myself.

Really though, what's wrong with releasing an experimental title that's been worked on since Prime 3? Are they just supposed to sit on their work for a decade? It's most likely the infamous Metroid Dread...
That's the cool thing about a spinoff. A developer is not necessarily required to adhere to the "rules" set forth by the series, though they can if they wish. Some neat and creative gameplay aspects can arise from this practice, sometimes not, it depends on how well the developer executes their ideas.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd argue FF is less of a departure then SM64 was... It's not "silly" at any point. The art style is different but it's not like they've never changed it before. You'll pretty much forget about it once you're in the game. You're not really isolated, but Prime 3 didn't really feel isolated either. You're not playing as Samus, but she still has a prominent role in the story. Gameplay wise it's still running around and shooting things, searching for upgrades, and going through areas and the whole game again with more knowledge and doing it more effectively. How these are achieved are different, but Metroid has never been a very consistent franchise to begin with.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
What Nintendo has upset me with:
They show me a living palm tree and tell me that's a dragon.
They then show me a dragon and a sea serpent and tell me that those aren't dragons.
Then they tell me they have creatures that are literally items of clothing, keys, and ice cream.
That's what Nintendo's done to me.

finalark

SNORLAX
They then show me a dragon and a sea serpent and tell me that those aren't dragons.
Charizard and Gyarados aren't Dragon-Type because Gen 1 was designed to be a single player RPG with little thought given to the multiplayer aspect.

When examined under this lens, it becomes clear that Dragonite was intended to be the equivalent to a secret, super-powerful weapon that you have to go out of your way to get. If a Pokemon you started with and a Pokemon that was common and easy to get were to evolve into this almost-ultimate weapon it would diminish its role as this significantly.

On that note, when viewed from this perspective, Mewtwo is obviously packing a one-two punch as both the game's secret boss and genuine ultimate weapon.

There you go internet. That's why there was only one line of Dragon-Types in Gen 1, and that's why Charizard and Gyarados aren't dragons. Can we get over this now?

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Charizard and Gyarados aren't Dragon-Type because Gen 1 was designed to be a single player RPG with little thought given to the multiplayer aspect.

When examined under this lens, it becomes clear that Dragonite was intended to be the equivalent to a secret, super-powerful weapon that you have to go out of your way to get. If a Pokemon you started with and a Pokemon that was common and easy to get were to evolve into this almost-ultimate weapon it would diminish its role as this significantly.

On that note, when viewed from this perspective, Mewtwo is obviously packing a one-two punch as both the game's secret boss and genuine ultimate weapon.

There you go internet. That's why there was only one line of Dragon-Types in Gen 1, and that's why Charizard and Gyarados aren't dragons. Can we get over this now?
Nope, not over, sorry, but I'd also like an explanation for why they didn't become dragon types in XY (Zard's Mega aside). If they knew we wanted them to be dragon types, why not make them dragon, instead of (imo) spiting us by giving them dragon type moves?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

Game Freak sure failed at this, didn't they? Dragonite is disappointingly weak in Gen1, and all you need to get one is a stack of money to buy the coins for it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Game Freak sure failed at this, didn't they? Dragonite is disappointingly weak in Gen1, and all you need to get one is a stack of money to buy the coins for it.
Not to mention that Dragon Rage deals fixed damage. I never said that it was well designed, just that it was the intent.

When you get down to it, while RBY were fun and revolutionary they do not hold up under scrutiny.

Zerinus

Smash Rookie
That, and Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario Maker.
Mario maker on the 3ds doesn't have the online support the Wii U version does, you can't share/play levels online.

However there are Nintendo-made levels you can play via wifi.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

How can I sum my reaction to it?
It looks like a blatant Mario Party ripoff...that requires amiibo. But, I'm not interested in anything related to this series so.... eh.

But really, if Nintendo was going to make party games, why not continue to invest in Mario Party (at least based on anything before 8)?

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
It looks like a blatant Mario Party ripoff...that requires amiibo. But, I'm not interested in anything related to this series so.... eh.

But really, if Nintendo was going to make party games, why not continue to invest in Mario Party (at least based on anything before 8)?
8 was the last decent game imo, 7 was the last great game. ****ty motion controls or the freaking car brought down the gameplay. Bro **** that car I hate it

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Nintendo didn't need to reinvent the wheel with Mario Party. Mario Party 8 was terrible, 9 was a snoozefest, and while 10 was slightly better thanks to Bowser Party, it was still pretty bad. Doesn't help that the mini games in all three games are pretty lackluster too. In 9, there was a mini game dedicated to just getting points. That is lazy. Also, the car should have been its own mode. Bowser Party is how the car mechanic should have been implemented in the first place. Having the car be the main style of play loses the chaos and fun factor Mario Party had. At least 8 gave the players freedom to go their own way.

**** Mario Party these days.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I hate Mario Party 5-8. Terrible, boring rehashes.

Mario Party needed the revamp because it was stale as ****. I don't understand the hate the car gets... Growing up it'd take months to finish a party with my father and kid brother because turns took so long. The car was made in response to this issue. The mini games are way better now, too.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I don't care about Mario Party. I just wanted a new Animal Crossing that wasn't anything but Animal Crossing, Jesus Krystal!
I guess that's how The Legend Of Zelda's fans felt when they got Hyrule Warriors instead. While I like the series of Zelda and I like Hyrule Warriors too (it feels like a good ol' scroolling beat 'em up, but with some nice strategy). While, I guess, hardcorest fans will be not pleased as well. But Hyrule Warriors is clearly a spin off no more nor less than Mario Kart. And I hope Amiibo Festival is a running Spin Off and not the future destiny of the series. I want a NX Animal Crossing that is an actual Animal Crossing. Better that the previous ones but still a goddamn Animal Crossing, for goodness sake!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I guess that's how The Legend Of Zelda's fans felt when they got Hyrule Warriors instead.
Not really... I've never seen anybody complain about HW. I don't understand why people got such thin skin for spin-offs all of a sudden.

Also don't get why people expected another main AC game when NL is still selling decently (probably the most evergreen Nintendo game ever) and it's been proven that AC does that much better on handhelds.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Not really... I've never seen anybody complain about HW. I don't understand why people got such thin skin for spin-offs all of a sudden.

Also don't get why people expected another main AC game when NL is still selling decently (probably the most evergreen Nintendo game ever) and it's been proven that AC does that much better on handhelds.
Maybe it's because of games like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Federation Force. Rise of Lyric being an absolutely terrible game, and Federation Force being released at an awful time. That probably explains why people have gotten much more harsh regarding spin offs (though there was always some sort of stigma surrounding them from my experience).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Maybe it's because of games like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Federation Force. Rise of Lyric being an absolutely terrible game, and Federation Force being released at an awful time. That probably explains why people have gotten much more harsh regarding spin offs (though there was always some sort of stigma surrounding them from my experience).
People complain about literally every Sonic game... Sonic Boom's quality aside. Metroid fans are also known whiners. I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
People complain about literally every Sonic game... Sonic Boom's quality aside. Metroid fans are also known whiners. I don't think that has anything to do with it.
You have a point with Rise of Lyric. Sonic tends to get a lot of flack, some of it isn't even deserved IMO.

As for the Metroid fans, I understand how they feel. Imagine how anyone would feel if one of their favorite franchises comes back after the last game did so much damage to the IP's reputation, but that comeback wasn't in the form of another main entry in the series, but a spin off title that didn't feature the main character of the franchise that often, had a style that didn't fit the series (in this case, online co-op), and make that a heavy focus of the game. Sure, Federation Force may not have been nearly as bad as the Metroid fans were claiming it to be, but the way Federation Force was announced just felt like a handwave, kinda like saying "Oh yeah, and we have this Metroid spin-off game in the works, but who really cares about that, STAR FOX!!!"

finalark

SNORLAX
You have a point with Rise of Lyric. Sonic tends to get a lot of flack, some of it isn't even deserved IMO.
Most of it isn't deserved.

It's ****ing embarrassing that we live in an age where games like Sonic Colors, Generations and even spin-offs like Sonic All Stars Racing are generally consider really ****ing good but we still see articles like this crop up whenever a 3D fan game comes out, regardless of quality:

http://www.geek.com/games/fans-embarrass-sega-by-making-a-good-3d-sonic-1669338/
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/green-hill-paradise-act-2-out-now.html
http://kotaku.com/fans-make-the-3d-sonic-game-we-deserve-1786047762

What's even more embarrassing is that people are still raging on Sonic Boom despite it having come out two years ago and Sonic '06 despite it coming out almost a decade ago. We let other train wrecks like Daikatana, Duke Nukem Forever and Assassin's Creed Liberation go within a week. But with Sonic, well, it's Sonic. People continue raging on the bad games because your "supposed to" make fun of him.

It's gotten to the point where it's even leaking over to the older games. I honestly feel like SA2 has aged better than people give it credit for, it's just that people are harsh with this game where they're more forgiving with others because it's Sonic. And Sonic is "supposed to be" bad.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
8 was the last decent game imo, 7 was the last great game. ****ty motion controls or the freaking car brought down the gameplay. Bro **** that car I hate it
I have to at least give credit to MP8 for maintaining the classic MP style of gameplay, but there were still some changes I didn't agree with.

The candy was kind of a poor substitute for the orbs from 6-7 (also 5, but they worked slightly different than the later counterparts), I mean, they worked, but they weren't as impactful as the orbs. Not to mention there were a crapton of orbs compared to candy. And you could only use it on yourself (I know it's candy but still), which means you couldn't halt someone's advance to a Star or something, pepper an area with character spaces to absolutely murder someone who passes by that area or none of the character specific orbs of MP7. MP8 didn't have that element of controlled chaos that 6 and 7 did.

I also wasn't too fond of the final stretch in MP8, where coins were scattered across the spaces. This mechanic kind of sucks for players who might need a coin buff, because they might be tailing another player on the board (who may or may not have a candy to help them move far) and might not be able to get much out of it. Someone can have an unfair advantage in this case. I much prefer the space multiplier from previous games. The effects apply to every player, so it's more forgiving in its balance.

MP8 also took away the roulette that's supposed to help the last place player in the final stretch, instead giving them a Duelo Candy. Why not just have the Duel Spaces? Or the same-space duel mechanic from MP6 in the last 5 turns?

Nintendo didn't need to reinvent the wheel with Mario Party. Mario Party 8 was terrible, 9 was a snoozefest, and while 10 was slightly better thanks to Bowser Party, it was still pretty bad. Doesn't help that the mini games in all three games are pretty lackluster too. In 9, there was a mini game dedicated to just getting points. That is lazy. Also, the car should have been its own mode. Bowser Party is how the car mechanic should have been implemented in the first place. Having the car be the main style of play loses the chaos and fun factor Mario Party had. At least 8 gave the players freedom to go their own way.

**** Mario Party these days.
I've played MP9 and 10, while I don't necessarily hate them, they're just.....blah. I can't seem to get excited about MP these days since they don't maintain the gameplay that drew me to the series in the first place. 8 is forgivable, but it's still one of the weakest in the series. As far as I'm concerned, MP6 and 7 are at the top of the class. They didn't really do anything too fancy or groundbreaking, they just did what any good series should do, take a very functional formula and build upon it while adding features that complement the formula well. Keeping a game fresh shouldn't mean sacrificing the base.

Unfortunately, that's Nintendo's problem these days. They've been trying to draw new players to their games by reinventing some of the series that many of us have enjoyed thoroughly, and I'm getting the impression that it's backfiring on them. Look at Paper Mario. They took everything we loved about it and just tossed things out the window to the point where the newer games are related to the older ones in name only. And Nintendo's "reasoning" behind it? The fact that Mario & Luigi is an RPG spinoff. Like we live in a world where both can't exist as RPGs. I thought Sticker Star was decent, but it's not what I want from a Paper Mario game and I'm sure a lot of players agree.

The way I see it, how can a developer hope to appeal to new players if they completely abandon what made fans, well, fans in the first place? Do they intend to replace the old breed or something? I don't know, I just don't understand Nintendo's logic at times.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

As for the Metroid fans, I understand how they feel. Imagine how anyone would feel if one of their favorite franchises comes back after the last game did so much damage to the IP's reputation, but that comeback wasn't in the form of another main entry in the series, but a spin off title that didn't feature the main character of the franchise that often, had a style that didn't fit the series (in this case, online co-op), and make that a heavy focus of the game. Sure, Federation Force may not have been nearly as bad as the Metroid fans were claiming it to be, but the way Federation Force was announced just felt like a handwave, kinda like saying "Oh yeah, and we have this Metroid spin-off game in the works, but who really cares about that, STAR FOX!!!"
I'm with Finalark on this one... Not much of a point spelling it out again.

As a big fan of the 2D Metroids who didn't care for Prime... As somebody who hasn't had an entry I've truly loved in a decade... I still don't get the hate. The game is fun and Prime-y in it's own way. It's like Prime 3 where it does it's own thing instead of feeling like the 2D Metroids.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The NX (NS now, I guess) looks really weak and underpowered. Either the gimmick has a major asterisk beside it or this thing's going to be weaker than the Wii U. There just isn't any way that, using current technology, you can make a device that small and strong enough to run console games.

finalark

SNORLAX
The NX (NS now, I guess) looks really weak and underpowered. Either the gimmick has a major asterisk beside it or this thing's going to be weaker than the Wii U. There just isn't any way that, using current technology, you can make a device that small and strong enough to run console games.
It's kind of like an Alolan Wii U.

I won't say much other than that I'm underwhelming that it's yet another gimmick console. Hopefully we'll get some good games to make up for it.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, we'll see. I have high hopes for it tho

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It's kind of like an Alolan Wii U.

I won't say much other than that I'm underwhelming that it's yet another gimmick console. Hopefully we'll get some good games to make up for it.
Pretty much my thoughts. I wish Iwata had stepped down before he was forced to leave the company, because I think this is going to be yet another disaster and there simply wasn't a way his successor could have fixed this mess in time. Console makers start development on the next one just before the system they're about to launch hits the market. No way did Kimishima have time to clean up Iwata's mess, given the big N's financial situation.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I expect it to be underpowered compared to its competitors, but I have a feeling that the docking station might enhance it possibly. The way they worded it, it'a possibility.

I never expected something high end. I don't think I was left disappointed only because this is how they've been for the last decade or so.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pretty much my thoughts. I wish Iwata had stepped down before he was forced to leave the company, because I think this is going to be yet another disaster and there simply wasn't a way his successor could have fixed this mess in time. Console makers start development on the next one just before the system they're about to launch hits the market. No way did Kimishima have time to clean up Iwata's mess, given the big N's financial situation.
Most likely the Switch idea has been tossed around for a while... A really long while.

I'm of the mindset that they're basically abandoning their console line with this. And with this setup I can't say I'll miss it.

I expect it to be underpowered compared to its competitors, but I have a feeling that the docking station might enhance it possibly. The way they worded it, it'a possibility.

I never expected something high end. I don't think I was left disappointed only because this is how they've been for the last decade or so.
If it switches even half as fast as it did in the trailer then there's no significant components in the dock. At best it uses more electricity on the dock and can bump up the resolution that way...

Edit: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power
Well there you go. No extra processing power on the dock.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Same here. I'm starting to get tired of overly gimmicky consoles. I mean, I'm a big Nintendo fan and all, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I expect it to be underpowered compared to its competitors, but I have a feeling that the docking station might enhance it possibly. The way they worded it, it'a possibility. .
The thing is that processors aren't hot swappable. The impression I got is that you can take the same game with you, which puts limits on what kind of games are available. There might be small boosts to power, like how laptop power management works, but nothing too significant or the game won't run properly on battery. You can't load a whole new set of lower-res models and scaled-down textures on the fly without a significant changeover time.

The only way I can see a device like this working as advertised is if the charge station does a lot of processing on its end and the gamepad has to stay connected over the Internet to work on the move. Which is that "major asterisk" I mentioned.

People keep talking about the third-party developers listed, but forgot that the Wii U was promised a lot of third-party development too, and look at how well that turned out. There were a few ports to the system in the early days, then it all dried up. I just don't see the Switch succeeding unless marketing does a complete 180 and stops pushing it as a console you can take with you and starts calling it a handheld with good enough resolution to play on a TV.

I never expected something high end. I don't think I was left disappointed only because this is how they've been for the last decade or so
This is a good part of why I'm disappointed. This strategy helped them out in the first few years of the Wii's life span but by the end of that system's run it was clear that trying to do everything different from the competition isn't always a good idea. Trying to be different hurt them when the N64's high cartridge prices (among other issues) didn't agree with consumers, it hurt them when they used mini-DVDs for the Gamecube in an effort to reduce piracy, it hurt them when developers didn't want to work on a weak gimmick system with too few buttons, and it hurt them when developers didn't want to work with a next-system that was about current-gen levels of power, but had to render two separate screens. It's important to know what to change and what to keep the same, and Nintendo has insisted on changing the wrong things for several years now. Rather than learn from their mistakes, Nintendo has chosen to repeat them. I want Nintendo to succeed, but they seem intent on doing the opposite.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I have the mindset of "just wait until the Switch comes out and see how it does in its first year." A lot can be said about a console within the first year of launch, and if the Wii U had anything to go by, it's that it didn't have enough going for it to make it a viable buy for a lot of people beyond Smash and a few other first party games.

Also, Nintendo don't learn from their mistakes a lot of the time. If a game in a franchise doesn't do well commercially, they assume nobody likes that property anymore. May I remind everyone what happened to Star Fox after Command and what's probably going to happen after Zero? I feel like the Switch is the end of an era for Nintendo. It's the last of what I like to call the "Gimmick Triforce," or at least it feels like it'll be the last. I can't help but feel that the Switch will be the last console in this fashion before we get a system that goes back to basics in the same vein as the GameCube. Nintendo can't afford a second console flopping in a row, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen with the Switch.

Top Bottom