• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Same here. I'm starting to get tired of overly gimmicky consoles. I mean, I'm a big Nintendo fan and all, but this is just getting ridiculous.
I'm surprised... This was shown as a very typical system and we never saw any motion controls or touch. (Though we have plenty of rumors saying otherwise. )

I feel like the Switch is the end of an era for Nintendo. It's the last of what I like to call the "Gimmick Triforce," or at least it feels like it'll be the last. I can't help but feel that the Switch will be the last console in this fashion before we get a system that goes back to basics in the same vein as the GameCube.
I don't think we'll ever get a normal console from Nintendo ever again. There's just no hope for it to work at this point... That market is dominated largely by Sony right now, much as Nintendo has dedicated handhelds. Especially if the Neo is a half-step and they plan on making gradual jumps so the last two or three consoles are compatible with the current games, there's just so much brand loyalty that even if Nintendo could present something equal they'd just stick to what they have.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I feel like the Switch is the end of an era for Nintendo. It's the last of what I like to call the "Gimmick Triforce," or at least it feels like it'll be the last. I can't help but feel that the Switch will be the last console in this fashion before we get a system that goes back to basics in the same vein as the GameCube. Nintendo can't afford a second console flopping in a row, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen with the Switch.
I don't think that's going to be right, and I'm wondering why you think that's true when you post:
Also, Nintendo don't learn from their mistakes a lot of the time. If a game in a franchise doesn't do well commercially, they assume nobody likes that property anymore. May I remind everyone what happened to Star Fox after Command and what's probably going to happen after Zero?
right above it. Somehow, it's never their fault, it's always the market to blame for Nintendo's failures. Throw F-Zero on that list while you're at it. Hopefully Metroid won't be the next to join.

I don't think we'll ever get a normal console from Nintendo ever again. There's just no hope for it to work at this point... That market is dominated largely by Sony right now, much as Nintendo has dedicated handhelds. Especially if the Neo is a half-step and they plan on making gradual jumps so the last two or three consoles are compatible with the current games, there's just so much brand loyalty that even if Nintendo could present something equal they'd just stick to what they have.
I wouldn't say that. For most of last generation, the Xbox 360 was well ahead of the PS3 in terms of system sales and game sales. Sure, most of its buyers were total chads, but publishers definitely took note of its popularity. Most of the time, when a game could only be released on one console because it wasn't expected to sell that well, the publishers chose the 360 (in America, at least) because of its install base. In some cases where a game was cross-platform between the two systems, it was optimized for the 360 and the PS3 was expected to keep up by using its superior hardware. This worked out badly a few times, the PS3 port of Bayonetta being one infamous example. So I wouldn't call Sony invincible. Here to stay, yes, but the reason Sony succeeded so well with the PS1, 2, and 4 is because they knew what the gaming public wanted and they gave it to them. If they stop doing that, then like the early PS3 days, they stop making money.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I don't think that's going to be right, and I'm wondering why you think that's true when you post:

right above it. Somehow, it's never their fault, it's always the market to blame for Nintendo's failures. Throw F-Zero on that list while you're at it. Hopefully Metroid won't be the next to join.
Knowing how badly Federation Force did in terms of sales, I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid ends up on that list, even if the series was never a big financially successful series outside of a couple of games, namely the first Prime game.

Alright, I'll admit that I did write myself into a corner with that assessment. I'm thinking more in a "what if" kind of scenario. What if the Switch flops, possibly even harder than the Wii U? Nintendo's gonna face some major problems when and if that happens.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wouldn't say that. For most of last generation, the Xbox 360 was well ahead of the PS3 in terms of system sales and game sales. Sure, most of its buyers were total chads, but publishers definitely took note of its popularity. Most of the time, when a game could only be released on one console because it wasn't expected to sell that well, the publishers chose the 360 (in America, at least) because of its install base. In some cases where a game was cross-platform between the two systems, it was optimized for the 360 and the PS3 was expected to keep up by using its superior hardware. This worked out badly a few times, the PS3 port of Bayonetta being one infamous example. So I wouldn't call Sony invincible. Here to stay, yes, but the reason Sony succeeded so well with the PS1, 2, and 4 is because they knew what the gaming public wanted and they gave it to them. If they stop doing that, then like the early PS3 days, they stop making money.
All Sony has to do at this point is not **** everybody off and they can't fall behind. Really all there is to it.

Nintendo even attempting to muscle in on it would be foolish.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
They never showed any sort of "gimmick" that relates to gameplay.
No they didn't, but the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence as they say. And just to be clear, I was referring to the hardware gimmicks which are quite apparent. I mean, it's in the name for crying out loud.

Set in a dock and bust out a Pro controller and it's a typical home console.
....Which is why I uttered that comment about the Switch Pro controller. It's the only thing about the Switch that makes it seem close to typical console.

The Starman

Smash Rookie
Making the Ness amiibo a Gamestop exclusive
Changing Falco's shine in Brawl
NOT RELEASING GCN ON WII U VC

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Making the Ness amiibo a Gamestop exclusive
Changing Falco's shine in Brawl
NOT RELEASING GCN ON WII U VC
I'm still wondering if Nintendo is saving that for the Switch, which I'm hoping they do. It would definitely give me more of a reason to buy it.
It's really more of a technical issue. Virtual Console is just an emulator. The Wii U isn't powerful enough to emulate GC and be reliable about framerate.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
All Sony has to do at this point is not **** everybody off and they can't fall behind. Really all there is to it.
Well a few months ago they did end up pissing off a lot of people by raising the price for PS+ subscriptions and refusing refunds for No Man's Sky. I am pretty sure they are still in the lead though.

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
The most recent blunder from Nintendo that upset me: Their sheer under-stocking of their $100 Standard New 3DS bundles.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Another page, another age, and another oppertunity to talk about the Rare buyout </3

FallenHero

Smash Ace
The Switch presentation failed to tell us all the necessary information about the switch. They could have gone over the hardware features that we don't care about for the most part A LOT quicker and we really needed to know more info about the online that they briefly mentioned.

Will Nintendo have anything like PSN and XBox accounts (I don't know what it is called)? Will they improve the eShop or replace it with something that isn't ****? What are the prices going to be for the online multiplayer subscriptions (which I'm really miffed about Nintendo succumbing to what Microsoft started for multiple reasons)? All important information that we need to know about that they did not tell us.

Half of the third party developers didn't even show off trailers for new games. I'm sure that there were some third parties that have games in the works for the switch that they didn't show off. Square Enix could have AT LEAST given confirmation that FF7 remake is going to be on switch and maybe even a FF15 port since that game just came out at the end of November last year. They briefly showed a new sonic game in the presentation, but we only got confirmation of that other Sonic game made by a bunch of people who make fan roms of the classic games (I forgot it's name). Showing a trailer for that sonic game we know nothing about when Sega came up would have helped Nintnedo out a lot if the game looked like it was going to be good and a switch exclusive. Just imagine if they announced and showed a trailer for Bayonetta 3 as well. Right now the only games that have most people excited is the new Mario, Zelda, and maybe the new Xenoblade.

Near the end of the presentation they should have shown a list or short trailer revealing all of the release and release window games that are going to be out for the console. I highly doubt that they already showed all of the release window games yet. Kind of sad to think the hype at part of the whole thing was finding out the release date for a game we already knew about for ages now.

Last edited:

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
Failing to show Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Treehouse stream was one of Nintendo [of America]'s blunders that irritated me.

C3CC

Smash Lord
The Switch presentation failed to tell us all the necessary information about the switch. They could have gone over the hardware features that we don't care about for the most part A LOT quicker and we really needed to know more info about the online that they briefly mentioned.

Will Nintendo have anything like PSN and XBox accounts (I don't know what it is called)? Will they improve the eShop or replace it with something that isn't ****? What are the prices going to be for the online multiplayer subscriptions (which I'm really miffed about Nintendo succumbing to what Microsoft started for multiple reasons)? All important information that we need to know about that they did not tell us.

Half of the third party developers didn't even show off trailers for new games. I'm sure that there were some third parties that have games in the works for the switch that they didn't show off. Square Enix could have AT LEAST given confirmation that FF7 remake is going to be on switch and maybe even a FF15 port since that game just came out at the end of November last year. They briefly showed a new sonic game in the presentation, but we only got confirmation of that other Sonic game made by a bunch of people who make fan roms of the classic games (I forgot it's name). Showing a trailer for that sonic game we know nothing about when Sega came up would have helped Nintnedo out a lot if the game looked like it was going to be good and a switch exclusive. Just imagine if they announced and showed a trailer for Bayonetta 3 as well. Right now the only games that have most people excited is the new Mario, Zelda, and maybe the new Xenoblade.

Near the end of the presentation they should have shown a list or short trailer revealing all of the release and release window games that are going to be out for the console. I highly doubt that they already showed all of the release window games yet. Kind of sad to think the hype at part of the whole thing was finding out the release date for a game we already knew about for ages now.
Don't forget Splatoon 2.

I'm mad right now because WHERE THE **** IS MY PIKMIN 4

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
release underwhelming consoles with superfluous gimmicks and features while staying behind the rest of the industry

charge way too much money for old games and then make you buy them several times to have them on multiple systems

constantly try to hurt youtube content creators because of their greed

C&D fangames

constantly release forgettable games or shovelware with pre established IPs

make mario stagnate for 8 years with samey, forgettable games, lazy spinoff titles and killing paper mario

purposely manufacture a limited amount of product to artificially create demand

let treehouse be garbage by letting them insert dated memes and censor stuff even if it's in more adult oriented games

failure to understand the appeal of many of their games

overpriced re releases of games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

FallenHero

Smash Ace
release underwhelming consoles with superfluous gimmicks and features while staying behind the rest of the industry
This. The only reason I am okay with this for the Switch is because it doesn't seem to be that far away from the power of the other two consoles and the whole gimmick of being able to play console games on the go is actually a good gimmick that could be the future of gaming.

Also don't forget the eShop being garbage and having Capcom syndrome when it comes to their own IPs. I hope with the Switch they improve them so that you don't have to buy the same game multiple times on the same account if you get it on another system. If I bought Mario for the NES on Wii U VC, then I shouldn't have to buy it again to play it on the Switch, and the same should apply to other games from the Wii U that are just getting a straight port to the Switch without any improvement or changes. I wouldn't mind buying Shovel Knight again on the Switch, but it would be really nice if I didn't have to since I already have it on 3DS. Nintendo has IPs that have not gotten a new game in a VERY long time even though fans have been asking for new games. The thing Miyamoto said in an interview about why there has not been a new F-Zero game just shows that Nintendo seems to think they always need to reinvent the wheel rather than just sticking with what works. They've done this with their consoles (just look at the Wii and Wii U compared to the GC) and their games (first two Paper Mario games compared to the rest). They need to realize when something works well rather than constantly making unnecessary changes to the formula.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Nintendo seems to think they always need to reinvent the wheel rather than just sticking with what works. They've done this with their consoles (just look at the Wii and Wii U compared to the GC) and their games (first two Paper Mario games compared to the rest). They need to realize when something works well rather than constantly making unnecessary changes to the formula.
This is my biggest problem with Nintendo right now. They are doing now what Sonic Team started back in 1998 when SA1 came out. It had a much different focus than the Genesis Trilogy (which was arguably the highest point of the series), what with their emphasis on deeper stories and just being muddied up with alternate gameplay styles that didn't fit the series at all. It was nice and shiny back in the day, but it just didn't withstand the test of time. For almost 20 years since then Sonic Team has been going through this phase of formula changes, usually with less than favorable results. Only now is Sonic going back to form with Mania, which looks to be the breather he needs in this storm of uncertainty.

Nintendo should be taking notes from Sega and wise up as soon as they can, otherwise they too will spent the next 20 years in a perpetual state of mediocrity, wondering why they can't move as many units as they would like. I mean, it's not like this is rocket surgery or anything like that.

"Those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it" is quickly becoming one of my favorite lines because it's ridiculously true. Nintendo may claim otherwise, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that they aren't really learning from their mistakes, and doubling down is not a good solution in this case. I don't know, maybe Kimishima will start steering Nintendo in a different direction, but for now we're stuck with the tail end of Iwata's influence at least for a generation or two.

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has IPs that have not gotten a new game in a VERY long time even though fans have been asking for new games. The thing Miyamoto said in an interview about why there has not been a new F-Zero game just shows that Nintendo seems to think they always need to reinvent the wheel rather than just sticking with what works.
they should not make games just because people demand them. If they really can't think of anything new to do with an F-Zero game then they shouldn't do it just for the sake of pumping out another game. The real problem with the F-Zero statement is that it makes Miyamoto look like a complete hypocrite for giving the thumbs up to New Super Mario Brothers and all the other samey crap Nintendo does.

This is my biggest problem with Nintendo right now. They are doing now what Sonic Team started back in 1998 when SA1 came out. It had a much different focus than the Genesis Trilogy (which was arguably the highest point of the series), what with their emphasis on deeper stories and just being muddied up with alternate gameplay styles that didn't fit the series at all. It was nice and shiny back in the day, but it just didn't withstand the test of time. For almost 20 years since then Sonic Team has been going through this phase of formula changes, usually with less than favorable results. Only now is Sonic going back to form with Mania, which looks to be the breather he needs in this storm of uncertainty.

Nintendo should be taking notes from Sega and wise up as soon as they can, otherwise they too will spent the next 20 years in a perpetual state of mediocrity, wondering why they can't move as many units as they would like. I mean, it's not like this is rocket surgery or anything like that.

"Those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it" is quickly becoming one of my favorite lines because it's ridiculously true. Nintendo may claim otherwise, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that they aren't really learning from their mistakes, and doubling down is not a good solution in this case. I don't know, maybe Kimishima will start steering Nintendo in a different direction, but for now we're stuck with the tail end of Iwata's influence at least for a generation or two.
...............what? What does any of that have to do with Nintendo's consoles at all?

finalark

SNORLAX
The real problem with the F-Zero statement is that it makes Miyamoto look like a complete hypocrite for giving the thumbs up to New Super Mario Brothers and all the other samey crap Nintendo does.
It certainly makes Star Fox 0 eyebrow raising, that's for sure.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No new F-Zero game for over 10 years... That has upset me... A LOT.
Pretty much me but my problem isn't so much Nintendo as it is Intelligent Systems for treating Advance Wars like garbage for the past decade.

- Not giving the series the same opportunities Fire Emblem had.
- Not pushing for Smash Bros representation the same way they did with some FE characters
- Lying about how they "care" about the series only to let the series rot.

I just wish Intelligent Systems would give away the series to someone that would actually do something with the series. Like what the hell is even the point of keeping the series when you're not going to do jack with it? It infuriates me to no end when there's so much untapped potential with the series that's been wasted because IS has this stupid mentality that FE and AW are in competition when both series have next to nothing in common other than being TBS.

But yeah I agree with you about F-Zero. It's in my Top 5 Nintendo series and it really deserves a new entry. The SNES F-Zero is the most nostalgic for me but GX was the pinnacle of the series no doubt. Just because GX didn't sell well Nintendo hasn't bothered with a new F-Zero game which is dumb. They do that with a lot of other series as well. The silver lining is that Nintendo made a push for a new F-Zero game as a launch title for the Wii U but that didn't happen for various circumstances so there is still hope for the series.

That and Golden Sun. The cliffhanger ending for Dark Dawn is always head scratching for me given that Camelot had no plans to do anything with the series afterwards.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The silver lining is that Nintendo made a push for a new F-Zero game as a launch title for the Wii U but that didn't happen for various circumstances so there is still hope for the series.
This^

If I am to purchase Switch I got 2 criterias. New Smash and a New F-Zero. Smash? Most likely, but if I don't see F-Zero at all... Not too picky about when, but during it's lifespan or I won't get it.

I'd love a new TimeSplitters and Jet Set Radio, but both of them would be too much to ask for I guess.

The13thGalaxy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0840-7029
Switch FC
SW-8121-7126-7047
There's a lot of complaints about the Switch's paid internet services, but I'd say there's a bit bigger of a problem with Nintendo. They're known to cut off production of fan games and whatnot, which is something that definitely leaves a sour taste in my mouth. There was that Pokemon fan game a while back that got shut down by Nintendo after being in development for two years. Couple that with them not taking very kindly to PM, and you've got a recipe for people to really not be happy with Nintendo.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Reggie straight up lied about the Switch not having friend codes anymore.....WHY DID THEY BRING BACK FRIEND CODES!? The fact that Reggie even said that there was no friend codes just shows that Nintendo KNOWS how much everyone hates friend codes. Is this a result of the Switch being rushed? Yeah I said it, the Switch is rushed. Look at the tiny launch lineup of games. They couldn't even have a WEB BROWSER at launch, which every single console and handheld comes with nowadays. The issues with the Joycons that many have been reporting also shows that they rushed it out to quick to fix some of the major issues with it.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I've said this once, I've said this twice, I'll say it three hundred times.

Every.

Console.

Sucks.

At.

Launch.
I agree, but the Switch looks like it is gonna suck a lot more at launch than other consoles have. Even if they have a system update that removes friend codes, I can't imagine that happening within the first year of the Switch being released. Nintendo probably wouldn't update the Switch to get rid of them anyways.

finalark

SNORLAX
I agree, but the Switch looks like it is gonna suck a lot more at launch than other consoles have. Even if they have a system update that removes friend codes, I can't imagine that happening within the first year of the Switch being released. Nintendo probably wouldn't update the Switch to get rid of them anyways.
I mean, yeah, friend codes suck but its not like the original 360s which could stop working because they occupied a space.

Or the old fatty PS1s that you had to flip upside down to get working.

Or how you had to have an external expansion for the N64 because of lack of dev foresight.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I mean, yeah, friend codes suck but its not like the original 360s which could stop working because they occupied a space.

Or the old fatty PS1s that you had to flip upside down to get working.

Or how you had to have an external expansion for the N64 because of lack of dev foresight.
It still doesn't excuse the fact that it rushed though. We were straight up lied to about friend codes. Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean that we should just let it slide.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one. Yes, it's stupid, but it's there for a reason. Ignoring Zelda:MM or DK64, the type of memory used by the N64 was very unique. It's a type of memory called RDRAM (RAMBUS Dynamic Random-Access Memory) or RIMM (RAMBUS Inline Memory Module), or just RAMBUS memory. It was intended to compete against whatever the DDR standard was at the time, but as great as RAMBUS was for its time it was too expensive and it ran so hot that it wasn't practical or cost-effective to improve much on it, so it never really took off.

One of the quirks of RDRAM was that it had to be installed in sets of 2. If you didn't have a second module, you had to install a board called a C-RIMM (Continuity RIMM) in the empty slot or your system wouldn't boot - The memory would be an open circuit. That black thing in a normal N64 is a C-RIMM, and the expansion pack is a second 4MB RIMM. For comparison, the 3DO and PS1 both had 3MB total memory. Only the Saturn outstripped the N64 in terms of memory, so it made sense for Nintendo to just put the one 4MB module in the system to save on costs and leave the C-RIMM accessible just in case they needed more.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Making Brawl and Smash 4 the way they did (please, don't hate me) and also not making BotW on Wii U 720p, but I don't mind that much considering that the graphics are simply stunning.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Making Brawl and Smash 4 the way they did (please, don't hate me) and also not making BotW on Wii U 720p, but I don't mind that much considering that the graphics are simply stunning.
BotW on Wii U is 720p. Switch is 900p though when docked.

Top Bottom