• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
"I dont get people." That's something I find myself saying a lot when playing online.

Yesterday, I played a really good bayo. They beat me like 14/15 or so games. One of them I went for the bayo ditto (me being a bayo main and all), and I lost.

Here's the thing; lately, I've been trying really hard to stop myself from using salty tags. I also only taunted twice, each in return for one of their taunts. So I lost to this person multiple times, didnt give up, tried different characters, and never used salty tags. But after I lost with bayo...

"lol"
"u mad"
"so bad"

They alternated between these three tags for a good 10 seconds afterwards. I still didnt leave, and kept trying to win. Each time I lost, in came the tags. Eventually they just left.

Again, I just dont get people. What do you gain from being such a jerk when you win? Who are you impressing? Get over yourself.
Agreed, people on FG are waaaaaay too conceited, even the ones that are bad, lol!!

It's honestly getting tiresome.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, people on FG are waaaaaay too conceited, even the ones that are bad, lol!!

Yup. Welcome to the club. We've been talking about this for the past couple of pages already, and I don't think these complaints will stop anytime soon.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Yup. Welcome to the club. We've been talking about this for the past couple of pages already, and I don't think these complaints will stop anytime soon.
It feels great to put them in their place, at the very least.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Honestly, I think a lot of the crap that comes out of FG is down to people assuming the worst. It's one of the few situations where I just don't until I see it for real.

There's a lot of stuff I do by habit that a lot of players see as "disrespectful" (I'm a very active taunter for one.) but it's not like everyone means to just irritate you with the stuff they do, it's just that a lot of them are either doing it from habit, kind of bad or don't know any better.

That being said, there are certain playstyles that are really kinda either embarrassing or lacking in effort that just need to not happen. Sandbagging is probably the worst, but genuine one-trick ponies are almost as bad.

-oh, and the unambiguity of people just straight-up calling you names. That'll never change.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
"I dont get people." That's something I find myself saying a lot when playing online.

Here's the thing; lately, I've been trying really hard to stop myself from using salty tags. I also only taunted twice, each in return for one of their taunts. So I lost to this person multiple times, didnt give up, tried different characters, and never used salty tags. But after I lost with bayo...

"lol"
"u mad"
"so bad"
For Glorians have the mentality that if you switch to their main and any point in time you are salty and trying to one up them.

It's why I try so hard to stay away from my mains if they happen to be using them (unless we both started a match as said main before we even fought one round). Sometimes that isn't an option though. Some people are better with one main than others and if nothing gets the job done, well what choice do you have? But of course the moment you do they think you're the saltiest person alive.

Sad part is, sometimes that can be the case. For Glorians love to show you up by playing your own character.

I love dittos. It'd be nice if I could play a ditto match or just use my best main without the other side thinking I'm so salty I just had to switch to their character, because how dare they beat me with that specific character?! Sometimes people are just stupid. It's a sad truth.

PS: I actually find Bayonetta and King Dedede dittos super fun, win or lose... Especially King Dedede.

Illusions

Smash Cadet
NNID
minnievanilly
3DS FC
0345-0482-7374
What annoys me the most is how some players get so salty after losing. They'll change their name into something like "noob" or the like and generally I guess try and insult you? Plus/or they will just start killing themselves in the next match. I guess I don't really mind it that much, I just don't see the point in it. If you have been the worse player (can this even apply in FG for real) then why are you complaining? Git gud and then talk to me again.

Also, FG Links are the worst. Projectiles and smash attacks everywhere.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
What annoys me the most is how some players get so salty after losing. They'll change their name into something like "noob" or the like and generally I guess try and insult you? Plus/or they will just start killing themselves in the next match. I guess I don't really mind it that much, I just don't see the point in it. If you have been the worse player (can this even apply in FG for real) then why are you complaining? Git gud and then talk to me again.

Also, FG Links are the worst. Projectiles and smash attacks everywhere.
It's even worse when you lose to FG Links. It demoralizes you. :/

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491
Lag. Definitely lag. Especially when the person you're playing against is playing perfectly with horrible lag like they're use to it. It's definitely their bad internet. Lol

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Lag. Definitely lag. Especially when the person you're playing against is playing perfectly with horrible lag like they're use to it. It's definitely they're bad internet. Lol
Yeah, lag I can deal with, but when the other person seems unaffected by it then it's just like... How do you put up with those conditions? lol It's so stupid.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Yeah, lag I can deal with, but when the other person seems unaffected by it then it's just like... How do you put up with those conditions? lol It's so stupid.
I had that happen to me last night from a Charizard player. I know he's not the best character out there, but that doesn't mean that you need to resort to BS like that just to win.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I had that happen to me last night from a Charizard player. I know he's not the best character out there, but that doesn't mean that you need to resort to BS like that just to win.
What bugs me about lag is that the noobs will try to fight through the lag just to win and attempt to demoralize you. Only once has my opponent SD'd in lag on purpose. Otherwise, it's just salty scrubs or tryhards who used insult tags when they won.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
What bugs me about lag is that the noobs will try to fight through the lag just to win and attempt to demoralize you. Only once has my opponent SD'd in lag on purpose. Otherwise, it's just salty scrubs or tryhards who used insult tags when they won.
That didn't happen in my case. They just left upon winning. I find that to be a little worse on the 3DS version because he would show a humiliating defeat to his friends, only to hide the fact that you won the past several games. I get that nobody likes to lose, but nobody likes a tryhard either.

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491
Yeah man. It totally happened with a Charizard player for me too. He really wasn't that good but kept winning. Charizard is a secondary of mine so I know how he plays.
I know right?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

That is competitive online gaming in general, not just For Glory. For example, I have been playing Overwatch for the last couple months and the amount of conceited and arrogant people I have found is out of charts.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
That didn't happen in my case. They just left upon winning. I find that to be a little worse on the 3DS version because he would show a humiliating defeat to his friends, only to hide the fact that you won the past several games. I get that nobody likes to lose, but nobody likes a tryhard either.
lol it's basically a Morton's Fork

Metagame

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cryojager
3DS FC
4527-7429-0982
I don't know if this counts, but what makes me the most mad is when I get bodied and my opponent stops to save the replay.
But only when they win.
And every time they win.
Especially *cough*cap 'mains'*cough*

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I don't know if this counts, but what makes me the most mad is when I get bodied and my opponent stops to save the replay.
But only when they win.
And every time they win.
Yeah, I literally had this happen the other day - a cap player KOd me with 2 cheap gimps because I screwed up as Jr. and he blatantly saved the replay as if he'd have won if I'd played any other character.

Got right back into the game and bodied him twice before he left (We're talking victories after only ~40% damage. Thanks, walls of death.).

The worst part is, the match where he saved the replays wasn't even that impressive, it was mostly him getting combo'd and then 2 cheap hits just to steal the game. It would have been impressive if they were him actually trying to gimp me with weaker moves, but it was literally just him sour-spotting F-airs while try-harding.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah, I literally had this happen the other day - a cap player KOd me with 2 cheap gimps because I screwed up as Jr. and he blatantly saved the replay as if he'd have won if I'd played any other character.

Got right back into the game and bodied him twice before he left (We're talking victories after only ~40% damage. Thanks, walls of death.).

The worst part is, the match where he saved the replays wasn't even that impressive, it was mostly him getting combo'd and then 2 cheap hits just to steal the game. It would have been impressive if they were him actually trying to gimp me with weaker moves, but it was literally just him sour-spotting F-airs while try-harding.
People saving replays of matches they won when they weren't impressive and then getting absolutely destroyed after seems to be just another day in the office for FG.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People saving replays of matches they won when they weren't impressive and then getting absolutely destroyed after seems to be just another day in the office for FG.
It's kinda why I stopped saving replays unless something really awesome or stupid happens. It just feels like a statement. If your opponent could never see why you saved that replay, then why save it?

I mean, the last replay I saved was because I dragged a Falcon player under the stage and stage spiked them against the bottom with Mach Tornado after baiting a D-air - it was something I felt was genuinely kinda stylish, and dumb so I saved it. Needless to say, they quit straight after too, so chances are it was worth saving. lol

Metagame

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cryojager
3DS FC
4527-7429-0982
It's kinda why I stopped saving replays unless something really awesome or stupid happens. It just feels like a statement. If your opponent could never see why you saved that replay, then why save it?

I mean, the last replay I saved was because I dragged a Falcon player under the stage and stage spiked them against the bottom with Mach Tornado after baiting a D-air - it was something I felt was genuinely kinda stylish, and dumb so I saved it. Needless to say, they quit straight after too, so chances are it was worth saving. lol
Sad to see that it feels dirty nowadays to save replays to some people with a negative stigma attached to it now. This kid in FG was getting bodied by me every match for like five matches
Until he switched to Cap.
Kid went full on tryhard and barely beat me (last life 100%+) about two matches in a row. He saved every single replay and over taunted as if I was getting absolutely destroyed or something. These were incredibly close matches. The last match he beat me by a hair with a falcon punch, recorded the replay, and left.

I think the one thing that always gets me mad about replaying is knowing they're going to show it to their friends as if I was DeMoLisHED when he'll never mention the five matches I won in a row.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Sad to see that it feels dirty nowadays to save replays to some people with a negative stigma attached to it now. This kid in FG was getting bodied by me every match for like five matches
Until he switched to Cap.
Kid went full on tryhard and barely beat me (last life 100%+) about two matches in a row. He saved every single replay and over taunted as if I was getting absolutely destroyed or something. These were incredibly close matches. The last match he beat me by a hair with a falcon punch, recorded the replay, and left.

I think the one thing that always gets me mad about replaying is knowing they're going to show it to their friends as if I was DeMoLisHED when he'll never mention the five matches I won in a row.
Yeah, I mean, of course I share my replays, but I'm generally honest about my win-rate against players. -and I'm not exempt from saving some replays when I've finally beat a tough opponent, but it's generally so I can look back on it and see if I did anything right more than for bragging rights (Though still, kinda bragging rights. :p Gotta take some pride in those difficult wins, right?).

But I dunno, I just find it really unimpressive to win through close or janky stuff so I avoid saving those replays for the sake of "I won". I've performed awesome things and not saved replays just because I barely won thanks to an early jank too - it spoils the whole moment IMO.

Though, yeah, there's kind of a back-handed compliment in there if someone saves a replay because they finally beat you. Still doesn't mean it feels good.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I save replays to look at the mistakes I made and improve. I essentially analyze myself and try to figure out better ideas of what to do.

Metagame

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cryojager
3DS FC
4527-7429-0982
I'm kind of a hypocrite, being ultra guilty of only saving replays of when I win, but it's usually when I'm just playing with friends for the purpose of "remember when?". I almost never save online plays, because I can usually call myself out on dumb moves while I play, and I know I'll never watch them and eventually forget the game's context.

Reila

Nothing wrong with saving replays only when you win, lol. Although there are far more benefits in saving when you lose, I guess.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
But only when they win.
And every time they win.
How do you know your opponent stopped to save the replay?

Oh, and For Glory Clouds are easily the worst. It comes as no surprise as to why Cloud's dodge roll was nerfed in a previous patch.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
How do you know your opponent stopped to save the replay?

Oh, and For Glory Clouds are easily the worst. It comes as no surprise as to why Cloud's dodge roll was nerfed in a previous patch.
From what I could tell, if you're at the character selection screen and if their profile says "viewing results," it could mean that they're saving a replay. It could also mean that you're looking at their profile or reporting them, because I have looked at a few people's profiles before just to see who they are. I've never reported anyone, though. Then again, I don't see any reason to report someone if they win.

Is it safe to say Cloud is the new For Glory mascot? I've been seeing him a lot more than I have Falcons.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
From what I could tell, if you're at the character selection screen and if their profile says "viewing results," it could mean that they're saving a replay. It could also mean that you're looking at their profile or reporting them, because I have looked at a few people's profiles before just to see who they are. I've never reported anyone, though. Then again, I don't see any reason to report someone if they win.

Is it safe to say Cloud is the new For Glory mascot? I've been seeing him a lot more than I have Falcons.
Or they could be doing something else important.

Reila

Precisely. Sometimes I stay on the results screen for a while because I am doing somefin else on my PC (like replying to a message or whatever).

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
There's usually little room for doubt when they spent the game taunting/teabagging and manage a fraudulent win, especially when they leave right after to deny you a rematch.

Metagame

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cryojager
3DS FC
4527-7429-0982
I usually give my opponent the benefit of the doubt because I know everyone has stuff to do, but it's pretty undeniable when they're spending the whole match going "shOw mE YOuR mOVES" and tbagging. And it gets to me the most, as I've said before, because you can just imagine them sitting infront of their tv after failing every attempt at a knee or meteor but barely scraping by and going "man I totally wrecked that dude."
I don't get the point in saving the replay when you barely scrape by like that just going full spastic and over taunt like it was no biggie.

Last edited:

Galm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEvilLemon
I remember one time on For Glory when I was fighting a Lucas. I took a stock, and my finger slipped on the control stick and my Marth did one little crouch in place. For the rest of the games, my opponent, thinking I had teabagged, went all out - going for spikes, taunting while I was offstage, double taunting after taking a stock, and so on. At first I was annoyed, but now when I look back on it it's kinda amusing. They got so riled up and defensive of their pride all because of a misinput. Some people have thin skin.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Cloud is braindead.

In other news, water is wet.
I main Cloud myself, but I'll be honest. Most of his FG playerbase is in fact braindead.

I haven't played FG in a long time, but I remember every Cloud I've fought. Because all of those idiots fought pretty much the same way. They either spent the whole match trying to land dtilt -> uair (that was when Cloud had just came out; most Clouds nowadays still at least spam uair) or spamming Blade Beam at the edge. Regardless of what else they did, though, they would always try to camp to charge their Limit Break. (No big surprise there, guys. I know all of you are familiar with the FG Cloud :p)

When they do get their Limit, they will always try to go for Limit Cross Slash or (more often) Finishing Touch. (Once again, no big surprise.) It seems like those noobs only play Cloud because they think these aspects of Cloud are overpowered and should be the only necessary means to win. It's like they're directly telling me, "I want to win in this game, but I don't want to put any effort into trying to win."

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I main Cloud myself, but I'll be honest. Most of his FG playerbase is in fact braindead.

I haven't played FG in a long time, but I remember every Cloud I've fought. Because all of those idiots fought pretty much the same way. They either spent the whole match trying to land dtilt -> uair (that was when Cloud had just came out; most Clouds nowadays still at least spam uair) or spamming Blade Beam at the edge. Regardless of what else they did, though, they would always try to camp to charge their Limit Break. (No big surprise there, guys. I know all of you are familiar with the FG Cloud :p)

When they do get their Limit, they will always try to go for Limit Cross Slash or (more often) Finishing Touch. (Once again, no big surprise.) It seems like those noobs only play Cloud because they think these aspects of Cloud are overpowered and should be the only necessary means to win. It's like they're directly telling me, "I want to win in this game, but I don't want to put any effort into trying to win."
With the Cross Slash (or Misfortune Cutter in Japanese) part, I understand that it's more consistent tbh than Finishing Touch. There's a lot more pressure on landing it added with messing it up in comparison.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
With the Cross Slash (or Misfortune Cutter in Japanese) part, I understand that it's more consistent tbh than Finishing Touch. There's a lot more pressure on landing it added with messing it up in comparison.
Yeah, but not all Cloud players actually get the message. Most scrubs go for Finishing Touch because it kills earlier and is also flashier (although the latter is completely subjective).

Actually, most FG Clouds use Finishing Touch more. It's just a thing. Even though it's noticeably worse than Limit Cross Slash. It's Cloud's version of the Jolt Haymaker or the Knee now.

KirbCider

Smash Ace

Yeah, but not all Cloud players actually get the message. Most scrubs go for Finishing Touch because it kills earlier and is also flashier (although the latter is completely subjective).

Actually, most FG Clouds use Finishing Touch more. It's just a thing. Even though it's noticeably worse than Limit Cross Slash. It's Cloud's version of the Jolt Haymaker or the Knee now.
To be honest, Cloud wouldn't be so annoying to fight on For Glory (at least to me) if they didn't rely on Limit Charge so much.

I wouldn't mind if they charge it a little at the start of the match, did some attacks and good combos, and when I'm off stage charge; however half the time I am actively chasing them down because all they want to do is roll/shield/run/whatever it takes to charge it fully before they actually start fighting. Even after they have it fully charged they roll around like a Little Mac would with KO Punch.

It grew so tiresome I eventually started just letting Clouds Limit Charge if it meant getting rid of the whole "Chase me" process of it all. It might be a dumb move and whether I win or lose I continue to do it. If it means getting a tiresome match done faster then thats fine.

I can respect a Cloud that uses Limit Charge very little and actually... Ya know, fights and combos though.

Cloud still makes me salty, but they get respect for simply not being annoying with him.

Aside from the whole Cloud subject I actually find myself getting annoyed when I see players who only use Top Tiers. I'm mainly referring to the ones who clearly have no idea what they're doing with them and switch to a different Top Tier every match like it'll make a difference. Maybe they could be experimenting and seeing which Top Tier works for them, I don't know. But it really seems to give me a sense of frustration to see that. It doesn't happen very often though so I guess I can live with it, but still... Why exactly?

Just cause they're Top Tier doesn't make them a perfect key to winning. They also ya know... Require skill like everyone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom