• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
Aside from the other FG "fun" that the rest of you have mentioned, my main gear grinder comes in the form of "idlers".

I have no idea why they feel the need to try to get you banned for "idleness", especially if you never encountered each other and have no reason to do it.

Another gear grinder of mine is running into players that completely destroy you. Keep in mind that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I love fighting good players, but c'mon, at least give me a fighting chance!
I especially abhor the one's that taunt/insult you afterwards. C'mon, if you're going to play that well, at least be a good sport about it instead of being the spaztic ******* you're presenting yourself as.

And finally, like @420quickscoper mentioned, the Tryhard. I think this was properly explained.
The only reason I end up idle at anytime is because... my mum wants me to do something while I'm playing online, and yea... a couple of times, I've ended up idle for too long and gotten disconnected. (Sorry if I pissed anyone off unintentionally!)

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Just keep it mixed up, don't have your reaction to each kill be the same crap over and over again because you're too lazy to bother thinking of ways to show off. Infact, go as far as to not even "show off" sometimes, that way it doesn't feel like you're just forcing it to be obnoxious.
I've personally never been the type of person who'll just spaz out when I take a stock. I prefer walking over to the other side of the stage and turning to face them when they respawn. I like to think of it as my "victory lap."

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I've personally never been the type of person who'll just spaz out when I take a stock. I prefer walking over to the other side of the stage and turning to face them when they respawn. I like to think of it as my "victory lap."
Well, I personally never got the whole "Dashdancing as a taunt" thing - if that's what you mean - either. I see it often on 3DS where it often comes out sloppy for obvious reasons, and it's not even a particularly useful skill in Smash4 as far as I know so there's nigh-no reason to do it, especially when your opponent is y'know respawning.

I do get what you mean though - I only really ever try to make a show of what I'm doing if I'm already in the place I wanna be when my opponent is mid-respawn or if I think the KO was especially notable (-or y'know, as I've mentioned before in threads, out of sheer reflex/habit.), otherwise I'll usually make my way to the left edge and stand there... Doooesn't mean I won't make a spectacle out of it though. lol

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I admit, I taunt more after kills as Wario, but that's purely for entertainment reasons. ;)

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Went against a Marth player on FG, lost 5 times in a row.

He thought it was necessary to change his tag to "5-0" and left, as if I didn't already know I was losing. Thank you, Captain Obvious, I think I know how to count.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Went against a Marth player on FG, lost 5 times in a row.

He thought it was necessary to change his tag to "5-0" and left, as if I didn't already know I was losing. Thank you, Captain Obvious, I think I know how to count.
Marth/Lucina players always seem to be jerks when they win, kinda like link players.

lunaticz0r

Smash Cadet
NNID
gandoe
People who are good and you have a close match with no lag and they win and then leave after the first match.

I wonder, do they go on For Glory and just want to win and don't like it if someone is good enough to challenge them? I had one guy leave and then come back and to my surprise actually stayed and fought me again. Of course this time I won and he stays for another match so ehh.

This is also followed by people who leave after they win the second match if they lost the first one. Then taunters in bad lag/input lag.
I do this when I win from a annoying char/one i dont like. That is mostly why I leave when I win the first. Also I do not notice the names so Indeed sometimes maybe I've reconnected to the same person lol.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I do this when I win from a annoying char/one i dont like. That is mostly why I leave when I win the first. Also I do not notice the names so Indeed sometimes maybe I've reconnected to the same person lol.
oddly... today, I won/lost against several players, and every single time, they left... I wonder why, is Wario too OP? ;) (The majority of the matches I played as Wario)

Last edited:

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
People who get their assed kicked by you and then they get a lucky win and directly leave

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
People who get their ***** kicked by you and then they get a lucky win and directly leave
:grin: That happened a couple of times as well.
OP? No, sometimes annoying like sonic (repetitive gameplay with the bike)? Yes.
I actually use the bike for combo finishers/starters half the time, I'm usually not riding it from side to side like some spammers. Bike spammers are real easy to deal with... just waft them. ;)

EDIT: Well, maybe I do spam, if that counts. ;)

Last edited:

KashKey

Smash Cadet
NNID
KashKey
LINK. SPAMMERS. They're everywhere... I'll boot up for glory and IMMEDIATELY. Without fault. Go against a Link Spammer. It's so frustrating...

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Honestly, I kind of do that L O T. Sometimes, I might walk slowly "step by step", tilting the Control Stick gently, or crawl if the character can do that, but not sure if that's seeing as disrespecting, since I don't see it as such. And if someone has, then I apologize, I guess.

:seuss:.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Honestly, I kind of do that L O T. Sometimes, I might walk slowly "step by step", tilting the Control Stick gently, or crawl if the character can do that, but not sure if that's seeing as disrespecting, since I don't see it as such. And if someone has, then I apologize, I guess.

I do that sometimes too. lol.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I do that sometimes too. lol.
It is so fun to do and it helps to rest/take it easy in between breaks of the match. Better than moving back and forth or jumping all over the place and potentiallly getting hit by the other player during doing that. ;)

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
It is so fun to do and it helps to rest/take it easy in between breaks of the match. Better than moving back and forth or jumping all over the place and potentiallly getting hit by the other player during doing that. ;)
But dude, you got to show off just how good you are and how fast you can smack your hand on the controller like the pros.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I just wanna make a blanket statement about the current topic that having fast inputs isn't the reason pros are pros and anyone who seems to assume that is kinda bad. lol

It's all about reflexes, both physical and mental, so it doesn't matter how fast you can mash or if you can perfect dash-dance unless you know what the heck you're doing. --that's the thing that winds me up, most people don't when they do those things.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The lag in For Glory gets to me.

When c-stick smashes come out as jabs, or my control stick smashes come out as tilts.

Nothing my opponent does can piss me off as much as my own controls not working properly because of crappy netcode.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
The lag in For Glory gets to me.

When c-stick smashes come out as jabs, or my control stick smashes come out as tilts.

Nothing my opponent does can piss me off as much as my own controls not working properly because of crappy netcode.
How good's your connection, and which version of the game? I tried the a friend's WiiU online at my house once, and it worked flawlessly. And my connections not exactly fast... (It's pretty much ADSL1 speed due to the distance from the closest exchange near to my house)
(That, and it was done over wifi that had it's signal dropped to a low value to prevent the signal escaping the house... AWESOMENESS)

If it's 3DS though, I understand, I also get input lag... that could also explain why there's so many spammers...

EDIT: Actually, a good tip if its not too much of a hassle where you are; if you get input lag on 3DS, UNPLUG EVERYTHING FROM THE ETHERNET PORTS ON YOUR ROUTER. This almost always fixes it for me if I get it.

Last edited:

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman

A bit late, but... Wario's crawling, when timed well, can end up being pretty funny. (Like, "smelling 4 next move" from that video I posted...)
I sometimes randomly crouch to give a warning I'm about to... *surprise waft*

Point being, crouching works as an approach method sometimes, with Mega Man being able to use his Down attack to slide repeatedly. Who agrees?

salaboB

Smash Champion
How good's your connection, and which version of the game? I tried the a friend's WiiU online at my house once, and it worked flawlessly. And my connections not exactly fast... (It's pretty much ADSL1 speed due to the distance from the closest exchange near to my house)
(That, and it was done over wifi that had it's signal dropped to a low value to prevent the signal escaping the house... AWESOMENESS)

If it's 3DS though, I understand, I also get input lag... that could also explain why there's so many spammers...

EDIT: Actually, a good tip if its not too much of a hassle where you are; if you get input lag on 3DS, UNPLUG EVERYTHING FROM THE ETHERNET PORTS ON YOUR ROUTER. This almost always fixes it for me if I get it.
Wii U version, using the official ethernet adapter for internet.

My connection is normally good, it's just being on the west coast is not good for online gaming without regional matchmaking.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've been getting this a lot lately: People who Rage Quit/Disconnect in the middle of a match.

It seems to be the ones who think they can spam themselves to victory lately as well. Had a Lucas player come into the Lobby with a "Get Rekt" tag already there, and the moment I edge guarded him with ROB and meteor smashed him before his UP B even went off he immediately disconnected. Then my friend and I encountered a double Mewtwo team earlier today who used the typical "Stay at edges, shadow ball charge and throw them off if they get close!" tactic, that immediately disconnected when they saw it wasn't working.

I mean... I guess a free win is a free win, but come on now. At least play through instead of giving up like that.

Last edited:

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I've been getting this a lot lately: People who Rage Quit/Disconnect in the middle of a match.

It seems to be the ones who think they can spam themselves to victory lately as well. Had a Lucas player come into the Lobby with a "Get Rekt" tag already there, and the moment I edge guarded him with ROB and meteor smashed him before his UP B even went off he immediately disconnected. Then my friend and I encountered a double Mewtwo team earlier today who used the typical "Stay at edges, shadow ball charge and throw them off if they get close!" tactic, that immediately disconnected when they saw it wasn't working.

I mean... I guess a free win is a free win, but come on now. At least play through instead of giving up like that.
I would actually count that as lost opportunity to tame a spammer... ah well. :grin:

EDIT: Actually, that 136-year ban glitch better hit them to teach them something. ;)

Wii U version, using the official ethernet adapter for internet.

My connection is normally good, it's just being on the west coast is not good for online gaming without regional matchmaking.
Ok... how come? That connection setup should most definitely work. Unless, of course, the majority of your opponents are japanese... I tend to run into laggy players a lot more often if they're Japanese for some crazy reason (crazy because Japan's possibly the closest region you'll get matched up with here in Australia, yet US opponents don't have the issue as much...)

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
As a former link main (pls don't hate me I don't spam and taunt and all that, I actually use bombs and don't play janky) I also hate link mains. Little Macs that spam smash attacks (not the same one) are annoying but are usually very competent and skilled players for some reason. Also, people who taunt all the time annoy me. And even though I think we all do this, I sometimes hate it when people switch characters every game

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
As a former link main (pls don't hate me I don't spam and taunt and all that, I actually use bombs and don't play janky) I also hate link mains. Little Macs that spam smash attacks (not the same one) are annoying but are usually very competent and skilled players for some reason. Also, people who taunt all the time annoy me. And even though I think we all do this, I sometimes hate it when people switch characters every game
I sometimes switch characters a lot. But in my case, it's usually because my ability to use a character's been severely nerfed by lag... So I switch to someone who's not as diversely affected. (In fact, most of the small things a lot of the griefers do that I do are usually due to lag, and not intentional)

Hopefully, all this BS vanishes when I get a Wii U... I've tried a friends with my internet already, and it ran so much smoother than 3DS, and that was on really weak wifi (I weakened it deliberately to prevent it being detected outside our house, unlike our neighbours over there... :grin:)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I would actually count that as lost opportunity to tame a spammer... ah well. :grin:

EDIT: Actually, that 136-year ban glitch better hit them to teach them something. ;)
I'd honestly care more about finishing the match with them than anything else. As fun as it is to put people in their places sometimes when the situation calls for it (the "Get Rekt" spam Lucas I mentioned earlier for example), to finish a match you know you can't win earns my respect to some degree. It shows me you tried and didn't care if you lost. People who Rage Quit/Disconnect during the match only shows me that you are a sore loser and/or care about your For Glory Win-Rate Percent far too much, which... Is a little sad.

I can understand if it was an emergency of some sort, or if they suddenly lost power (I've had that happen to me twice during my time in For Glory) but normally the disconnects are far too convenient for me to think that. I've even had a pair during For Glory Teams literally disconnect at "1" during the countdown. I heard of trying to spite your opponent but that is some seriously ridiculous salt.

Did people forget that "Fun" is a thing, and that it doesn't always require winning something to have it?

Last edited:

KashKey

Smash Cadet
NNID
KashKey
Did people forget that "Fun" is a thing, and that it doesn't always require winning something to have it?
You just stated my biggest problem with For Glory, and it's something I occasionally fall into as well. People don't seem interested in fun. Every once and a while I come acrossed someone I can just **** around with. And he and I have a good time together. But there are times when there is just so much SALT coursing through their veins, you'd think their heart is a salt factory. I always finish my matches, to the point where if I have to go I'll SD before disconnecting. People will likely think I'm salty, when in actuality, I just have to go.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
You just stated my biggest problem with For Glory, and it's something I occasionally fall into as well. People don't seem interested in fun. Every once and a while I come acrossed someone I can just **** around with. And he and I have a good time together. But there are times when there is just so much SALT coursing through their veins, you'd think their heart is a salt factory. I always finish my matches, to the point where if I have to go I'll SD before disconnecting. People will likely think I'm salty, when in actuality, I just have to go.
Same here. :) Sometimes, if I'm on my last stock, I SD if I have to go.

I'd honestly care more about finishing the match with them than anything else. As fun as it is to put people in their places sometimes when the situation calls for it (the "Get Rekt" spam Lucas I mentioned earlier for example), to finish a match you know you can't win earns my respect to some degree. It shows me you tried and didn't care if you lost. People who Rage Quit/Disconnect during the match only shows me that you are a sore loser and/or care about your For Glory Win-Rate Percent far too much, which... Is a little sad.

I can understand if it was an emergency of some sort, or if they suddenly lost power (I've had that happen to me twice during my time in For Glory) but normally the disconnects are far too convenient for me to think that. I've even had a pair during For Glory Teams literally disconnect at "1" during the countdown. I heard of trying to spite your opponent but that is some seriously ridiculous salt.

My win-rate's probably balanced with my lose rate right now, but I don't care. In fact, I use online as a training ground where I can (that's also why sometimes I'll reboot my modem first before playing, to make sure the stupid piece of crap uses the right speed :grin:)

Transform

Smash Rookie
Two things, people who have horrid reaction times with recovering or trying to punish something, with close to no lag at all, it doesn't annoy me too much but I can run into to people like this multiple times in a row before getting a decent battle.
& people who play with massive input lag, worse if there a zoner based character such as link, DHD, toon link, Samus as you can't really rely on perfect shield at all and you have to respect the opponents projectile options to the point on when they can punish you for respecting it too much with a dash grab due to there projectiles almost coming out fairy early considering your in input lag.

Natwin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sykuga
Being a person who uses Link quite frequently, seeing the roll Links are irritating to beyond heaven.
Especially when they win. Make me just wanna throw my controller out the window and quit smash.

Transform

Smash Rookie
Being a person who uses Link quite frequently, seeing the roll Links are irritating to beyond heaven.
Especially when they win. Make me just wanna throw my controller out the window and quit smash.
Roll>Roll>Boomerbang>Roll>UP Smash> Got Kill> Taunt, huehuehue

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Why are there so many players on 3DS who insist on making really precise movements all the time. Like, there's absolutely no attacks outside of the ones they think are going to hit and they'll stand around for obnoxiously long amounts of time as you're trying to do footsies, relying on nothing but reflex. It's not a good way to play - it might look kinda cool, and maybe throw some players off, but in the long run, not being able to apply pressure with movement and bait with attacks are fundamental things these players are missing out on.

Infatuation

Smash Rookie
People who taunt, and Link.

I'm fine with taunting at the beginning of the match, other than that, it's real annoying

Top Bottom