• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
When people save a replay of when someone messes up (This is really apparent with Ryu) and upload it with a crummy title like "WORST PLAYER EVER" acting like they're all cool.
No.
You don't do that.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
I already brought it up before, but it's still happening. There's nothing I hate more than players who think they're hot **** for stuff that pretty much any smasher with half a brain can do. I'm sure Sonic players feel pretty good about themselves for taunt spamming against Dedede, arguably Dedede's worst matchup outside of ZSS. Sure, go ahead and save that replay of Little Mac being gimped when you're playing as a character who has a great off stage game. I'm sure no one has ever seen that before. You want to save a replay of me losing, then it better be something ludicrous and not just another Falcon dair spike

On top of that, I'm getting kinda sick of being matched with the same characters over and over again. Last time it was a horde of Ness players, now it's been a horde of Mario Bros and Fire Emblem clones. I'm so sick of fighting Roy, why do you do this to me game.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
That's just sad.

Sad.
It's like when you True Shoryuken but you meant to Forward Smash out of crouching and you die and the other guy goes like "U SUX" and uploads a replay to Miiverse which you see when browsing.
It's sad. :4ryu:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
It's like when you True Shoryuken but you meant to Forward Smash out of crouching and you die and the other guy goes like "U SUX" and uploads a replay to Miiverse which you see when browsing.
It's sad. :4ryu:
Oh yeah, I've died plenty of times when I try to do some edgeguarding as Ryu, but end up having inputs get muddled together (I play Melee so I have fast smash hands) and end up just Tatsumaki'ing to my death. Luckily I don't play online and this is just with friends, we laugh it off.

I already brought it up before, but it's still happening. There's nothing I hate more than players who think they're hot **** for stuff that pretty much any smasher with half a brain can do. I'm sure Sonic players feel pretty good about themselves for taunt spamming against Dedede, arguably Dedede's worst matchup outside of ZSS. Sure, go ahead and save that replay of Little Mac being gimped when you're playing as a character who has a great off stage game. I'm sure no one has ever seen that before. You want to save a replay of me losing, then it better be something ludicrous and not just another Falcon dair spike

On top of that, I'm getting kinda sick of being matched with the same characters over and over again. Last time it was a horde of Ness players, now it's been a horde of Mario Bros and Fire Emblem clones. I'm so sick of fighting Roy, why do you do this to me game.
I could understand some hype behind landing a meteor, but only if meteor canceling was still a thing. The fact that you can't do jack squat if you get meteored offstage in this game (and most meteors are super easy) and people get super cocky about it, just disappoints me. Sure, in Melee if you meteor someone and they die, that means they missed their meteor cancel and you got a pretty legit kill/win, but here it's just like "oh I'll go offstage and hit down on the cstick and they have no chance to recover from it"

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
It pisses me off when I see a player in FG who's at or above my skill level and they leave after 1-2 matches. I mean I understand the laggy ones, but if I have a match with no lag, I lose (especially if it's close) and the other person DCs right afterward, it gets me in a real sour mood.

Oh, and Little Macs. My mains are Ganon and Yoshi, and neither of them have a good grab game, and I have a hard time dealing with Macs that I know are awful. I've been picking up Charizard for that purpose, but it's still aggravating to be able to beat skilled people using other characters and then get bodied by a crappy mac.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
It pisses me off when I see a player in FG who's at or above my skill level and they leave after 1-2 matches. I mean I understand the laggy ones, but if I have a match with no lag, I lose (especially if it's close) and the other person DCs right afterward, it gets me in a real sour mood.
Man, that is pretty annoying, especially since I only like doing best of threes on Anther's Ladder. I'm not going to be too hard in them though unless they quit before the match actually ends, but it's already hard enough finding a good player on For Glory so it's pretty annoying when all the good ones only seem to stay for three matches at most.

Cheese? I thought Salt was dumb, but Cheese? What does that mean?
It means jank, though cheese generally has a less negative and more humorous tone than jank. It still doesn't make sense that he would use that as an excuse for why he lost considering that "cheese" tends to be very avoidable in outside of specific situations in 1v1s.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I could understand some hype behind landing a meteor, but only if meteor canceling was still a thing. The fact that you can't do jack squat if you get meteored offstage in this game (and most meteors are super easy) and people get super cocky about it, just disappoints me. Sure, in Melee if you meteor someone and they die, that means they missed their meteor cancel and you got a pretty legit kill/win, but here it's just like "oh I'll go offstage and hit down on the cstick and they have no chance to recover from it"
Yeah, recently a Captain Falcon user metored me, but since it was a "boxed" shape For Glory Stage like Mushroomy Kingdom, I teched it and recovered using Mega Man, and he had the nerve to taunt. Taught that gut a lesson with a Mega Upper.

I really hate fighting Kirby when playing with Ryu. He's so small most my attacks miss and I get punished since I don't exactly know the match-up.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
*Lag lag lag lag LAG. This goes double if it's the "there is about one second between your input and the actual action" type. Triple if I'm fighting :4littlemac:. Quadruple if it's :4littlemac: in lag. (PS: If you purposefully cause lag, I hope you fall into a puddle of mud and lose $20 from your wallet)
*My side-B input being misread as up-B, resulting in me completely overshooting the ledge and being punished.
*Running into any of the following: :4falcon: :4littlemac: :4link: :4sheik: :4samus: :4zss:. I feel like I run into these six about as often as I do the rest of the roster COMBINED. C'mon man, I wanna see someone else for a change.
*:4kirby: who do nothing but try to Kirbycide. You wanna fight we can damn well fight in the middle of the stage.
*:4dedede:. As a :4pit:/:4darkpit: main, I think I don't need to explain any more.
*Fighting cowards.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
*Lag lag lag lag LAG. This goes double if it's the "there is about one second between your input and the actual action" type. Triple if I'm fighting :4littlemac:. Quadruple if it's :4littlemac: in lag. (PS: If you purposefully cause lag, I hope you fall into a puddle of mud and lose $20 from your wallet)
how does one purposefully cause lag?

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
*My side-B input being misread as up-B, resulting in me completely overshooting the ledge and being punished.
*Running into any of the following: :4falcon: :4littlemac: :4link: :4sheik: :4samus: :4zss:. I feel like I run into these six about as often as I do the rest of the roster COMBINED. C'mon man, I wanna see someone else for a change.
*:4kirby: who do nothing but try to Kirbycide. You wanna fight we can damn well fight in the middle of the stage.
*:4dedede:. As a :4pit:/:4darkpit: main, I think I don't need to explain any more.
*Fighting cowards.
Amen!

me quazzy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9401-0113
People who play Diddy and Sonic and only use a severely strict pattern. I've faced sonics where no matter what I do, they use the same combos over and over again and win. It's so strict I don't even see how they can enjoy playing if that's all they do.
And then it's people who don't chose different characters. I've played people who I beat in a pretty close match. Then I'll chose my second main and they'll stick with the same person. It gets progressively more easy and more annoying because this person is so asphyxiated on trying to win using the same strategy.

abx

Smash Journeyman
On the other hand being super creative and diverse in one's move set is quite difficult, especially when everything good a character is able to pull off requires precision and training.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
People who play Diddy and Sonic and only use a severely strict pattern. I've faced sonics where no matter what I do, they use the same combos over and over again and win. It's so strict I don't even see how they can enjoy playing if that's all they do.
And then it's people who don't chose different characters. I've played people who I beat in a pretty close match. Then I'll chose my second main and they'll stick with the same person. It gets progressively more easy and more annoying because this person is so asphyxiated on trying to win using the same strategy.
The first part, I agree with 100%. I see far too many flowchart players online and it's sad. I always find it funny to think they purchased the game to play that way. Smash doesn't have to be so formulaic.

Regarding the 2nd point, not everyone chooses to "main" 20 characters. And even if they do, sometimes they wish to practice with just one online for that day. I can speak from experience here. I recently started using Charizard. Instead of switching to my main, I stuck with him for an entire day, no matter how difficult the match-up. How else can I get practice? Personally, I liked it better when a good opponent would also stick with the same character. Again, it was just more practice (perhaps for us both). Just wanted to give you another perspective on this scenario, I'm sure a lot of people do this for the same reason.

On the other hand being super creative and diverse in one's move set is quite difficult, especially when everything good a character is able to pull off requires precision and training.
And that's exactly why people should take the time to learn just one character instead of jumping from one to the next. Each character has a ton of moves (tilts, throws, jabs, specials, smashes, etc). To simply use the 3 best options is sad. Smash is an extremely diverse game that should be about reading your opponent, not hitting the same inputs over and over and over.

Of course, the other great thing about Smash is that you can play it however you wish. It's unfortunate so many people play it at its most primitive level. Let's evolve, people!

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
To be fair, there are people who want to improve their one main or secondary, and they're trying to use For Glory to at least get some work in.

I don't play For Glory anymore, but I would be that guy who would stick with one character to get actual person experience in and practice.
I can understand when you talk about the ones who never change how they play (improving/adapting) however. Just that not everyone is like that

me quazzy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9401-0113
It's mostly that people don't switch strategies. I'll use Link as an example.
This link player only spams projectiles and rolls away as soon as you're in striking range. Simply, I'll use Marth and predict his roles after I get in close, usually getting tippers. Next I'll go with another main, like DK. This guy uses the same strategy but it doesn't work because I keep timing my grand and throwing him. The cycle keeps continuing and only gets worse. It's annoying.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
This link player only spams projectiles and rolls away as soon as you're in striking range. Simply, I'll use Marth and predict his roles after I get in close, usually getting tippers. Next I'll go with another main, like DK. This guy uses the same strategy but it doesn't work because I keep timing my grand and throwing him. The cycle keeps continuing and only gets worse. It's annoying.
Yes, I can definitely agree to that.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I really hate it when players get cocky when they beat me with a character I don't know the match-up with a character I'm using.
Last night I fought a Mega Man named "Robby", and I was using Ryu. He kept on using Leaf Shield and kept on grabbing me, and since I was Ryu, I had no idea how to stop it. Whenever he killed me he would taunt too. After playing two matches with Ryu, I switch to Falco and bust his ***.
Next round it was the same thing, except this time, he started spamming Metal Blade and Crash Bomber when he was down on his last stock, and it brought the timer to 50 seconds left.
The final round he again spammed Mega Man's specials to run down the clock, and we went to Sudden Death.
There he kills me with a back-air and while waiting for him to get ready for a another round he leaves, probably before the timer on the CSS ran out.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
This one isn't annoying per say, just confusing. :4shulk: who don't use Monado Arts. Why not just use :4marth:/:4myfriends:/:4lucina:/:4feroy:/:4metaknight: if you want a swordfighter instead?
My IRL friend whom I play Sm4sh with fairly often is one of those Shulks admittingly. He claims that they just mess him up in the end (for instance, I tell him to always activate "Jump" if he can't make it. His claim is he just cycles through them when trying to do his UP B, therefore doesn't use them). I hardly ever use Shulk at all, but I at least use the Mondos. My friend is just very stubborn to take my advice even when he sees how well the Mondos can benefit him. Then again I can't force him to change how he plays.

He does play a decent Shulk regardless, which only makes me want him to use the Mondos more. I can see the potential he has to be x5 the Shulk player he is now, but again I can't force him to play differently. Oh well.

Smash Ace
Quick tip. If your opponent lags, switch to Link and spam projectiles. Works everytime. And his boomerang kills Ness. All the time.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dante_Galileo
Actually could you explain this? I'm curious since that matchup is pretty solidly in Pit's/Dark Pit's favour.
1. D3 is kind of tricky to gimp. Multiple midair jumps + Super Dedede Jump = Not fun for a character who's somewhat reliant on edgeguarding for kills. DP is a bit better because of Electroshock's trajectory, but still hard to actually LAND it.
2. Because D3 is hard to kill, he can easily pick up a lot of rage and easily kill Pit/DP.
3. D3's hammer, combined with his size, gives him more reach than the angels.

The Gordos I don't have an issue with though; either character's arrows seems to deflect it fine, and more than once I've actually hit D3 with his own Gordo AND my arrow.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
That's why you leave and find another opponent. I'll give someone with a decent connection and intelligent gameplay a Best of 3 at minimum. If I face them twice and they only spam, camp, run, etc.... I leave and find another opponent. If I go back and get the same thing over and over, that's on me.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
When someone beats me and then switches to my character. That kind of **** ruins my day because I'm pretty sure the other person is laughing at me and suddenly I HAVE to win that ditto.

BTW, to everyone who hates taunters: sorry. I'm guilty of that, and it's come down to a muscle reflex at this point. I gotta remember to set the d-pad to shield. But until I get around to that: if you're playing a red ganon or a light blue yoshi or purple zard with the tag "Spenstar" and I taunt after a kill, it's not out of disrespect. I respect and appreciate and like all of you, from the bottom of my smash-loving soul.

Last edited:

abx

Smash Journeyman
Haven't seen Ryu for a long time, but today I was reminded how much his shielding sounds irritate and annoy me.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
anybody who taunts after killing. show respect bruh.
You mean first stock or at any point? I typically don't taunt at all, but if I do, it's only after I know the match is finished. It's more reactionary at this point, since I've always done that since Smash 64. I do try not to do it online if I can remember.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dante_Galileo
You mean first stock or at any point? I typically don't taunt at all, but if I do, it's only after I know the match is finished. It's more reactionary at this point, since I've always done that since Smash 64. I do try not to do it online if I can remember.
I only really use Pit's down taunt if I'm using him; the side and up taunts are more to send a message ("That all you got?!" if I feel my opponent isn't really playing their best, "Come on!" if my opponent is ineffectually camping or cowering). Likewise, I only use DP's "Watch out!" taunt if my opponent dies because of a bad move on their part- like "Watch out, don't do that in the future"

Of course, if my opponent taunts at the start of the match or randomly mid-match, I'll taunt back. MUTUAL TAUNT MUTUAL RESPECT.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
When someone beats me and then switches to my character. That kind of **** ruins my day because I'm pretty sure the other person is laughing at me and suddenly I HAVE to win that ditto.
Pretty much this, though it doesn't ruin my day, just spoils my mood a bit.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
You ever get those moments where let's say the character is Link. Let's also say the Link won that round. Go in next round and suddenly EVERYONE is Link. Either someone got salty and spite picked the character, someone decided that anyone can win with that character, or someone is a genuine main of the character and wants to go up against the other Link or whatever.

With the Link one, considering I hate that matchup, I backed out of that room so fast after the round where suddenly everyone was Link. Another one with three Little Macs, I tried staying a few matches but it just got frustrating after a while. And yet another one with Roy, I just switched at that point. It'd be one thing if the match started off like that, but it's almost always one person is said character and then next match everyone wants to be said character.

I just find it incredibly annoying battling with triples of a character in general. Doubles is already frustrating enough. It's even more grating in a team battle. It just becomes this cluster fest of me thinking I'm over there but I'm actually over there, or aiming an attack at who I think is my opponent but it's actually my teammate. So in those instances where I'm a character that is suddenly the flavor of the battle I basically shout to the screen, 'Fine! You can have him!' and again just switch.

I always find it easier to beat a character I play, when I'm not the character ironically.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
People who switch to who I'm using just to try and beat me, but fail miserably.

Especially when I play Little Mac. Just because I'm good doesn't mean you need to copy me to try and win.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
All I know is that For Glory, Sonic (mostly in for glory but either or), projectile characters who can just roll away to the other side without a scratch mostly, make me hate this soo much. It's just soo dumb. Like i can win but then i have to play super serious against these characters with spacing, and chasing them across the map for the full duration of for glory. I just SD at the beginning or in the middle after chasing them for what seems like hours, SD to quit the game, then they taunt like..., okaaay.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
One time my opponent SD's early and I decide to kill myself too since it was his mistake. You know, oh that's unfortunate so lemme make it even. We good bro

So after that game we had about 2 or 3 more with him winning most of them with the last one him 2 stocking me. The ones before were pretty close. Then he decides to insult me with tags like, "YOUTRIED", "LOL", "GETGOOD"

Like, really? You SD'd in our first game in the stupidest way possible trying to gimp me and completely missing the stage, didn't show any clear dominance until the last game and decide to talk ****?

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
The "TRAINING" tag. I get the urge to facepalm when I see this. What are you doing "training" on FG? To play in tourneys? Because that's the best way to train, with input lag, the same song and dance combos and on one stage, FD.

Also, everyone I play with that uses that tag uses :4link:....yeah. I'm done.

Sorry, that just annoys me to no end.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I'm starting to get pretty aggravated when I beat someone's main, secondary, or whatever that specific character is to them the first time I win, and they pull out a top-tier character. And when they fight, they don't fight competitively like they've been doing all along. They fight really mean.

The fight just gets less fun and pretty stressful.

Seriously, is winning so important that you have to pull out your "best" character to prove some kind of a point me? I go through getting two-stocked, suffer (but learn from) losing streaks, SDing by mistake, watching you taunt all throughout the match, and playing mind-games. But the moment I win one match, you get salty and upset, and pull out a top-tier?!

Thank God I usually have a chocolate bar or cake and ice cream to ease my frustration. <3
I only pull out my mains Capt. Falcon, Link, or Donkey Kong if a FG player teabags or has insulting messages. Ya know...FG fools who have a major superiority complex.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
The "TRAINING" tag. I get the urge to facepalm when I see this. What are you doing "training" on FG? To play in tourneys? Because that's the best way to train, with input lag, the same song and dance combos and on one stage, FD.

Also, everyone I play with that uses that tag uses :4link:....yeah. I'm done.

Sorry, that just annoys me to no end.
Sometimes I wonder if the 'training' tag is just to throw people off. At least in my cases I ran into a Dark Pit with that tag, expecting them to be mediocre and I got completely destroyed by endless combos and I couldn't take a stock off them. I was like what the heck just happened lol. Then a Ness with practicing, wasn't as hardcore as the DP, but he was pretty challenging to take down.

Top Bottom