• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
When I'm using a character that I'm not familiar with and I lose and they leave before giving me the chance of using my main. Specially if they taunt.
Well, to be fair, how are they supposed to know if you were using your main?

Puchero

Smash Rookie
Well, to be fair, how are they supposed to know if you were using your main?
Well, they cannot know, but it's just annoying when they taunt and leave after only one match (possibly because even with a character I don't know I try my best and I sometimes get close to victory) and don't give me a chance of showing my full potential. It's just frustrating when they act like they think they're the best and I know I could beat them with my main. But yeah, maybe it's just me being a little bit ilogical.

Last edited:

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
The large spike of Rosalina players has become a bit ridiculous just found four of them last night. Has anyone else noticed this.

PerryEllis

Smash Cadet
What makes you guys mad in For Glory?
There are many things that tick me off playing for glory and only makes the bad reputation of the fighting game community all the more true but I'll just name a thing or two for now.

1. Players who heavily rely on projectiles. By "heavily" I mean it makes up more than 50% of their attacks throughout the match.
2. Players who taunt after getting a counter finish as though it's something to be proud of. Same can even be said about back- or up-throw finishes. I suppose this lameness mainly applies to players who were currently winning or to finish off last stock.
3. Taunting while winning during a match. If you absolutely have to taunt during a match then sneak it in at the very end of the match or, what is more deserving, when you come back from losing the match.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Input delay is the worst, especially when you can't even tell your opponent if you have it or not.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
The large spike of Rosalina players has become a bit ridiculous just found four of them last night. Has anyone else noticed this.
Someone must have made a video about Rosalina and everyone wants to play her now. That is usually my conclusion when I play against a big influx.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Lag is the absolute worst.

Just fought a Ness as Sheik earlier, because why not. The match was going fine for like 30 seconds and then lag hell. I managed to perfect shield most of his PK Fire attempts but I could barely hit him sometimes because Ness' airdodge is extremely stupid for some reason, and my attacks just didn't want to connect sometimes while his did. Somehow I managed to tech his PK Thunder when I tried to gimp him though...

He won with a backthrow, because lol. I use Ness and yet I'm still salty. -_-

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
1. :4ness: Inhale my dong, enragement child.
Ness players, just Ness players. While I rarely ever lose to them, it's basically them just spamming PK Fire and that same exact combo. While yes, I can get the formula, it's just...PK Fire is a multi-hit attack, like I can really get through it. Since I play Ganondorf, I can live absurd damages, so I can just punish them to Fourside and back. Let's hope Lucas isn't as annoying.

2. :4duckhunt:Dog or God? Nope...
Still the same old thing like with Ness...but worse. Constant pestering with the projectiles and rushing up. I literally have nowhere to go to when going against them, since they have projectiles in three separate places. It's annoying, but not unwinnable...

3. :4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4palutena::4peach::4shulk: Counters All The Time...I'm REALLY feelin' it.
The title is self-explanatory...also, Mac's Super Armor on his Smash attacks.

4. :rosalina::4luigi::4diddy::4sheik::4mario::4zss::4fox: The "Top Tiers" for Scrubs
Whilst not particularly unwinnable, because I've almost never lost to them, but can they just not pull out those idiotic combos? It gets extremely repetitive and extremely annoying, extremely quickly and extremely efficiently. However, Rosalina players never win against me, no matter how good they are.

5. :4bowser: NEXT!!

6. :4samus:Better Nerf Greninja
Because who doesn't want Samus to keep you at bay with a projectile spam and, oh, I don't know, a fast as hell projectile that charges way too fast? No really, compare the attack to Mewtwo's Shadow Ball; the latter has less damage and speed, as well as charge speed, but the former has more power, speed and everything.

7. Lag........................................................................................................................................
Connection was restarted.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Recently faced a Yoshi who did nothing but spam his Up-B, wait for you to try to roll through his barrage and then whack you.
I lost to him as Ness, then switched to Dedede and won.

But, without a doubt, that was the absolute WORST kind of person you can encounter on For Glory.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Whenever someone grabs you and doesn't do anything just to stall or to be a butthole, and sometimes when you get grab and someone attacks both you and the graber but you're the one who gets the knockback and damage from the attack.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Running (basically just playing keep away until the timer runs out), causing lag (yes, it happens) and spamming. I main Dr. Mario, so timing and spacing is everything. Having to chase down opponents is not fun, since most can avoid getting hit for 5 minutes if they really want. Spamming is bad because it's easy to inadvertently run into stuff. Someone that spams Smash attacks randomly is bound to land some at some point. Finally, those that cause lag annoying me to no end. I can't count how many times I've started a match, lag free, proceeded to dominate and then suddenly.... out of nowhere.... terrible lag begins, quite often after I've been sent off-stage. As Dr. Mario, timing is important when recovering. If you don't time things perfectly, you can die easily. And thus, the laggers know this. Oddly, after losing a stock and getting my percent up, the lag magically disappears (unless, of course, I start to make a comeback, lol).

For Glory.... gotta love it!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I found a Luigi on 1v1 while playing as Dr. Mario. For both of his stocks I managed to get him over the ledge and cape him, resulting in me winning in less than 30 seconds. Being the nice guy that I am, I decided not to taunt/crouch dance.

Next match I switch to Ganondorf (who I'm not as good with) and fight the same Luigi. He beats me by doing almost nothing aside from fireball --> d-throw. While I'm being star KO'd, what does he do?

:4luigi: HOO-HA-HE-EH-HOO!

Really!?!? People like this are the reason I hate For Glory.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I found a Luigi on 1v1 while playing as Dr. Mario. For both of his stocks I managed to get him over the ledge and cape him, resulting in me winning in less than 30 seconds. Being the nice guy that I am, I decided not to taunt/crouch dance.

Next match I switch to Ganondorf (who I'm not as good with) and fight the same Luigi. He beats me by doing almost nothing aside from fireball --> d-throw. While I'm being star KO'd, what does he do?

Really!?!? People like this are the reason I hate For Glory.
I hear ya. This is the mark of a player that's not used to winning and doesn't know how to handle it. I find the most respectful players are skilled. The not-so-skilled players are a-holes. They are used to getting destroyed and when they get that lucky win, or lag is on their side, they can't contain their surprise at winning. Thus, the shameful celebration.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Losing to certain top tiers: I'm fine playing and losing to certain ones because it's fun Luigi and Diddy are fun to fight.

ZSS is just annoying it's the same thing everytime dodge the stun move or get punished so fun.

Sonic takes too long to punish I more often than not win against sonic but it takes up the whole match

Fox for some reason jab jab to grab makes me really salty

People who grab but don't combo or follow up on it you're just wasting both of our time.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Losing to certain top tiers: I'm fine playing and losing to certain ones because it's fun Luigi and Diddy are fun to fight.

ZSS is just annoying it's the same thing everytime dodge the stun move or get punished so fun.

Sonic takes too long to punish I more often than not win against sonic but it takes up the whole match

Fox for some reason jab jab to grab makes me really salty

People who grab but don't combo or follow up on it you're just wasting both of our time.
Yeah, gotta love those lather, rinse and repeat robotic players. Seriously, this game is about so much more than just mimicking what you saw work in a tournament. Try mixing it up once in a while. It's so fun to face the ledge-hanging-slingshot-happy Villagers just because one guy took an hour to lose with that tactic in a tourney.

If I get owned because the player is smart and reads me like a book (all while using an unexpected character), I give them all the credit in the world. Very admirable. But if you get by on playing easy mode with a top tiered, OPed character..... meh, whatever.

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
In addition to my rage for the constant character switching per match, I also can't stand people who play the same ones everyone else is selecting online. I've fought about two players on the same day that somewhat followed this formula. Captain Falcon, Fox, Luigi. Captain Falcon is so overrated now that his spot took over 50% of the last conquest. That's a lot more than Ness, another incredibly powerful character anyone can consider. Fox is kind of the same way if they feel Falcon is boring to them. And now they're abusing Luigi with the new combo strategy they've discovered? How annoying. Just because one tournament player managed to master Luigi a new way, suddenly all these online players want to pick them so they can go, "Hey man, I know how to use Luigi like that one guy. Aren't I awesome?" Dudes, get creative and try building your own unique strategies that can surely dominate instead of ripping off someone else's. Posers.
oh that's really infuriating. especially the luigi one cause he is so stupid in this game cause of lagless fireballs that you can't clank with, so people think it's perfectly fine to just sit back and throw them for DAYZ. At least, they think so, but i've had so many luigi "mains" ragequit on me that i would consider myself a pro if i didn't know how averagely bad i was.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hate people that taunt after every kill on 2v2 even if it wasn't theirs. A R.O.B. on the other teamed killed my Ike partner when he had like 130%, so like your average FG player the Jigglypuff we were fighting rolls to the side and does the "Jigglypuff!" taunt like it was all them. I seriously wonder what the Jigglypuff was thinking in real life.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
After playing the game for a while, I can definitely list some gripes.

-Final Destination Only: Final Destination is not the only competitive stage out there guys. Give me Battlefield, or heck, give me Smashville at least. After playing For Glory for a while, this mode taught me the hard way, that stages matter in terms of character matchups. When I actually fight outside of that mode, I can't help but get a breath of fresh air, when I play on other stages rather than Final Destination at times.

-Disrespectful players: This doesn't bother me as much in a offline match against a friend or someone from a local scene. Usually if we trash talk or taunt, it's usually in good fun. I even find a few of those antics hilarious. But online randoms..........expect me to dislike you.

-Lag: Lag makes certain matchups online a pain to fight.

-Excessive Rolling: I hate this for various reasons. First, rolls are harder to punish in this game. Some characters' rolls are too safe at times. It doesn't bother me as much offline as it does online. Especially if lag comes into play. Secondly, it reminds me of myself. I know rolling is a bad habit of mine, and seeing others do it tends to make me both annoyed at the player and myself. Especially since to this day, I'm trying to find other options outside of rolling.

It's rather funny really. In a match with friends or rivals outside of For Glory, be it online or offline, I tend to have fun with little salt. Even when I get bodied, be it in friendlies or actual tournament matches. Yet in For Glory, I get really angry and have no fun....yup, most likely gonna stick with getting matches outside of that mode. I feel that playing this mode encourages my bad habits, so...yeah. The salt may be talking, but I don't think my opinion would change even with that in play. :ohwell:

JMRgamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
jmwiiu12
What really pisses me off is 1. when im playing someone not that great, I have a good lead, there at high % I've hardly taken any damage and after about 30 sec. to a min. it starts lagging out of no where (Samus and Ness players) and I end up losing the game

2. Get the first K.O. on someone, I don't taunt out of respect, I get them well over 100% they barley K.O. me and they taunt as many times as they can before I respawn even tho I didn't taunt them when I had the chance

3. Mr. G&W players who do nothing but down throw to side B till they get a 9 then taunt

Last edited:
Projectile spamming links. I beat with link now. I hate when people taunt when IM WINNING and then I two stock them. I also hate the lag and Vision spamming shulks. I beat them but Its so annoying.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
1. Players who are basically taunting for lag

2. Lag

3. Lil Mac

-Excessive Rolling: I hate this for various reasons. First, rolls are harder to punish in this game. Some characters' rolls are too safe at times. It doesn't bother me as much offline as it does online. Especially if lag comes into play. Secondly, it reminds me of myself. I know rolling is a bad habit of mine, and seeing others do it tends to make me both annoyed at the player and myself. Especially since to this day, I'm trying to find other options outside of rolling.
--
3. Mr. G&W players who do nothing but down throw to side B till they get a 9 then taunt
Lol, I do that, minus the taunt part. I have no need to taunt in the game. And I usually stop trying for nines when I can no longer land a short hop Judge.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Phony excuses.

Yesterday I faced a guy that obviously thought he was good. First of all, he was Sheik. He was doing a lot of quick movements, running in place, backflip fast falls, all that good stuff. I'm not intimidated by those actions. I should also note that I was being Dr. Mario. Obviously, if he's any good, he should be able to defeat me. Nope. Not even close! I 2 stocked him (only taking about 45% damage) and didn't even taunt (to be honest, I just felt bad). After the match, I flashed a "GG" his way (even though it most certainly was not), to which he replied. "FIX UR LAG" and, subsequently, "SCRUB".

Okay.....? I'll just put it out there, that was one of the smoothest online matches I have ever encountered. No lag, button or otherwise, whatsoever. Secondly, and most notably..... I'M USING A WIRED CONNECTION! :laugh: If there was lag, it wasn't on my end. He was just butthurt that he could move really fast, use a high tiered character and still end up losing to Dr. Freakin' Mario. If you get rekt, just own it. Don't make up lies and then run away. I was willing to let him try again. Oh well.

Gotta love it!

JMRgamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
jmwiiu12
Phony excuses.

Yesterday I faced a guy that obviously thought he was good. First of all, he was Sheik. He was doing a lot of quick movements, running in place, backflip fast falls, all that good stuff. I'm not intimidated by those actions. I should also note that I was being Dr. Mario. Obviously, if he's any good, he should be able to defeat me. Nope. Not even close! I 2 stocked him (only taking about 45% damage) and didn't even taunt (to be honest, I just felt bad). After the match, I flashed a "GG" his way (even though it most certainly was not), to which he replied. "FIX UR LAG" and, subsequently, "SCRUB".

Okay.....? I'll just put it out there, that was one of the smoothest online matches I have ever encountered. No lag, button or otherwise, whatsoever. Secondly, and most notably..... I'M USING A WIRED CONNECTION! :laugh: If there was lag, it wasn't on my end. He was just butthurt that he could move really fast, use a high tiered character and still end up losing to Dr. Freakin' Mario. If you get rekt, just own it. Don't make up lies and then run away. I was willing to let him try again. Oh well.

Gotta love it!
Haha that's funny the same thing happened to me the other day. I played this Mario with a "smash god" tag who really sucked all he did was just roll, dash attack, and F smash, so I quickly caught on to his predicable patterns and toke his first stock with only 17% as soon as he respawned he walked off and killed himself. I never taunt when someone gives up cuz thats mean. So the guy changed his tag to "ur laggy" "ur a scrub" "ur boring" "ur gay" then he left. There way no lag at all btw I just laughed it off lol

Last edited:

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
Opponents who's strategy consists of rolling around the stage, grabbing onto ledges, and generally not attacking at all - simply running the entire time. As someone who mains Wii Fit Trainer, however, these people aren't a problem (dual hitboxes ftw for wft) ... still kinda sad though that it's the best they can come up with.

Also those 'mysteriously suspicious' lag events where, when you start winning, the lag suddenly just appears... >:( *SUSPICIOUS*

And lag, of course.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Opponents who's strategy consists of rolling around the stage, grabbing onto ledges, and generally not attacking at all - simply running the entire time. As someone who mains Wii Fit Trainer, however, these people aren't a problem (dual hitboxes ftw for wft) ... still kinda sad though that it's the best they can come up with.

Also those 'mysteriously suspicious' lag events where, when you start winning, the lag suddenly just appears... >:( *SUSPICIOUS*

And lag, of course.
I once played a Wii Fit trainer that just camped at the ledge and Rolling across the stage. Its hard to punish with Megaman since his Dsmash has a lot of ending lag.That was the most frustrating moment of my life.

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
I once played a Wii Fit trainer that just camped at the ledge and Rolling across the stage. Its hard to punish with Megaman since his Dsmash has a lot of ending lag.That was the most frustrating moment of my life.
Megaman does have a lot of projectiles, though, so you don't necessarily need to chase! Also, his lemons might be exceptionally good for roll spammers - I've found that attacks that hit multiple times or have long hitboxes are good for catching roll spammers.

Another thing is Megaman's Dash attack and Dtilt - those seem to cover a fair amount of space and hit continuously enough to catch someone rolling away or towards you.

Campers are, generally, predictable. Watch their patterns, and trap them. Figure out which of your moves have the best range, and the best ways to punish predictable roll-spammers.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
People who get mad and change their tag to something obscene and then keep playing. I understand there are 13 year olds on FG and they're going to curse at me for winning but WHY ARE YOU STILL PLAYING IF I MAKE YOU SO MAD??

Bad dittos, too. If you've got a Yoshi that's really good and wanna have a ditto match that's cool, but if you've never touched Yoshi before, you're probably just gonna SD twice then tell me to GET-****ED and it's just gonna be a bad time for everybody.

Terry-Anny

Smash Rookie
All japanese players. All of them. They use the most boring tactics, sticking to the edge and playing super defensive. It makes a casual romp in for glory turn into a borefest,

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
All japanese players. All of them. They use the most boring tactics, sticking to the edge and playing super defensive. It makes a casual romp in for glory turn into a borefest,
That's when they don't immediately disconnect before the match starts. Seriously, though, why do they do that? Is it a lag thing? The few times I've actually gotten to face a Japanese player, 9 times out of 10 the match is incredibly smooth. On the flip side, I've gone against people in my same state and had horrendous lag (and I'm using a wired connection!).

salaboB

Smash Champion
Well, they cannot know, but it's just annoying when they taunt and leave after only one match (possibly because even with a character I don't know I try my best and I sometimes get close to victory) and don't give me a chance of showing my full potential. It's just frustrating when they act like they think they're the best and I know I could beat them with my main. But yeah, maybe it's just me being a little bit ilogical.
I just had one where I was on an alt, the guy barely won, so I played my alt again in the expectation of another good match -- but he switched to his best character so easily won.

Then he bailed before I could switch to my main and see how we actually stacked up. Super irritating.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I just had one where I was on an alt, the guy barely won, so I played my alt again in the expectation of another good match -- but he switched to his best character so easily won.

Then he bailed before I could switch to my main and see how we actually stacked up. Super irritating.
Most people on For Glory play 'Best 2 out of 3'. They have no way of knowing you're on your alt or not. If you're quick, you can change your tag to "MAINS" or something in hopes of getting them to stay. I've had this happen to me, too, and it's extremely frustrating. I've even gone as far as sending them a friend request complementing them on their play and asking if they want to face my main. They either reply with, "no excuses u suk lololol' or something similar or just ignore the request. Oh well.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Most people on For Glory play 'Best 2 out of 3'. They have no way of knowing you're on your alt or not. If you're quick, you can change your tag to "MAINS" or something in hopes of getting them to stay. I've had this happen to me, too, and it's extremely frustrating. I've even gone as far as sending them a friend request complementing them on their play and asking if they want to face my main. They either reply with, "no excuses u suk lololol' or something similar or just ignore the request. Oh well.
In my experience, most people either play "Leave as soon as they win" or "Play until the other guy leaves."

Best 2 of 3 has been pretty rare. It would be nice if the mode itself would encourage something like that though, to keep people shuffling around (And maybe an easy way to request/accept friends right from the lobby if you find an opponent you really like fighting against)

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
In my experience, most people either play "Leave as soon as they win" or "Play until the other guy leaves."

Best 2 of 3 has been pretty rare. It would be nice if the mode itself would encourage something like that though, to keep people shuffling around (And maybe an easy way to request/accept friends right from the lobby if you find an opponent you really like fighting against)
I tend to get a lot of 2 out of 3, but mostly if I lose the first match. A lot of times, if the other guy loses the first match, they run (usually after complaining about nonexistent lag or something else). In the last couple weeks, though, I rarely get people that want to do more than 1 match, win or lose. I don't know why, but it's very disappointing.

And I agree about the lobby system. I always thought that would work well with Smash. Also, I really wish you could simply click on a Friend's name, or a player you recently battled, and select "Challenge" to set up a quick match with For Glory rules (random Omega stage, 2 stock, 5 minute time limit).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hate when people taunt after a KO during a laggy match. Not because of the taunt, but because in their minds they actually think that getting a KO while both people are flailing around like idiots is actual worth something.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I hate when people taunt after a KO during a laggy match. Not because of the taunt, but because in their minds they actually think that getting a KO while both people are flailing around like idiots is actual worth something.
Amen! I think it's sad and pathetic. A lag win is sadder than a lag loss.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I don't think all lag is universal. I've played with friends who said they were getting stuttery lag while I only saw the normal input lag.

The person taunting during what you see as a laggy match may have no idea.

(Edit: That said, I just had a series of FG matches where we'd get a nasty lag spike once every couple games, and we'd separate and go crouch at opposite sides until they passed, so I know we both were getting them there)

Last edited:
Top Bottom