• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Oh god, I faced a Wii Fit Trainer like that earlier today. Those kind of players are absolutely miserable to fight because Wii Fit Trainer is a very good character for turtling due to her side b being good for stalling on the ledge.

It makes it even worse considering that Wii Fit Trainer could have a lot of potential being an extremely fun and effective close range fighter since some of her attacks can hit in two different directions simultaneously, but it is very rare to find one who ever even tries to approach.
I agree. Camping is lame. However, WFT is a slow close range fighter who's balanced with the idea Deep Breathing is always active. So it takes skills and reads to be good. Other close range fighters like Falcon and Fox are faster/safer/easier to use. So people will pick those over WFT anyway.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Ike's who use Quick Draw point-blank without charging really irks me.
Also characters like Villager and Kirby who can stall in the air, and players who take advantage of that.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Just ran accross a G&W that LOVED to crouch against my Ganondorf, and punish me only (the only move move I could do was Down tilt). He 2 stocked me (and taunted me), so I proceed to 2 stock him back with Zelda :shades:

But this kind of gameplay is really annoying.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Also characters like Villager and Kirby who can stall in the air, and players who take advantage of that.
You're MegaMan, you should be throwing stuff constantly.
Also, any time they're in the air is time that they aren't hitting you; all too often I'm just given free reign in the air because nobody wants to approach me or even make an attempt, so I can float wherever I want to and be okay.
You've got the tools to pretty much do whatever, so use them.

theweemuzz

Smash Rookie
NNID
weemuzz
The worst thing that happened to me was when i was fighting a Mr game and watch as Captain Falcon, and he only move he used was the hammer, i managed to easily take first stock, with only 39% damage, but i then got 9 hammered. The match goes on, and i am winning 45% to G&W's 117%. i go for the knee, and i get 9 hammered to lose. I had never been so salty in my life.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
Other things that do grinds my gear in For-Glory mode is those guys that are so bent on winning when they see they will lose they start to stall even if there's more than 3 minutes left (Provided they didn't leave/ragequit SD's first) and try to time out to take the win in Sudden Death which just makes the match not fun to play at all.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I fought a Kirby player who tried to float in the air and shield all my projectiles so that he might have a chance in Sudden death, luckily I killed him at the last second. :^}

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
The worst thing that happened to me was when i was fighting a Mr game and watch as Captain Falcon, and he only move he used was the hammer, i managed to easily take first stock, with only 39% damage, but i then got 9 hammered. The match goes on, and i am winning 45% to G&W's 117%. i go for the knee, and i get 9 hammered to lose. I had never been so salty in my life.
I have one that's just as bad. Possibly worse idk. I was using Zeldoo and landing nothing but sweetspot kicks/stomps on him. He was good tho. Then we were at 1/1 stock and he was 119% and I was 62%. I used Farore's Wind over to him since all he was doing was spamming hammers, which should have killed him. But right at the very same moment I reappeared I was hit with a #9 hammer. The window to hit Zelda when she reappears is about 3-5 frames before Farore's Wind's 2nd hit goes off.

Like.

Srsly.

Like.

Mr. GnW.

Um.

u wut m8?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I have one that's just as bad. Possibly worse idk. I was using Zeldoo and landing nothing but sweetspot kicks/stomps on him. He was good tho. Then we were at 1/1 stock and he was 119% and I was 62%. I used Farore's Wind over to him since all he was doing was spamming hammers, which should have killed him. But right at the very same moment I reappeared I was hit with a #9 hammer. The window to hit Zelda when she reappears is about 3-5 frames before Farore's Wind's 2nd hit goes off.

Like.

Srsly.

Like.

Mr. GnW.

Um.

u wut m8?
Oh, something similar happened to me. Against a Dedede.

He was charging his F-Smash so I thought "Yeah, easy punish".

How wrong (and dead) I was.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717

Something I learned to do was jump diagonally forward, then teleport diagonally downward towards them. Doing so means you will go behind them. Which sadly can not really land a KO hit since their back is most likely facing the blast zone already. At the very least it knocks them away, deals 8% damage or so, and is much safer since you will be behind them.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078

We've all been there man. Or at least I know I have....one of my eternal gear grinds is facing Ike/DDD/Ganon. Even when it's one stock each with me on 45% and him on ~170% they can still easily win with one well-timed smash. Gotta be on your guard the whole time.

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Undeserved taunts. It really shouldn't make me that salty but man, it gets under my skin.

I played against a Dedede online that I slipped up and he killed me with a f-smash when I had a full stock lead and he was at like 90%. He taunted. Needless to say I went absolutely ham on him rest of the match and beat him easily. The next round he went Diddy out of pure sodium chloride, and I switched to D3 to show him what a real D3 main looks like. Two stocked him, then went Diddy and 12% two stocked his garbage Diddy, taunting after both "kills" (I think he SDed twice). Wrecked his Lucina with Diddy again, then he left.

Yeah, don't taunt against me unless you took the lead on a nice kill or won the match. I realize my actions were just as childish as his, but I needed to show him he had no reason to be taunting me.

Another is when you lose to someone good and you want to keep playing their main, but they switch to your character to prove you have no idea to play the character (ironic following my last paragraph, I know. I only do it if you piss me off and happen to be playing a character I know). I had someone Greninja ditto me once after beating me with Ness, and I 4% two-stocked him. Don't do that.

D

Deleted member

The most annoying thing that happens to me is when I get matched with pikachu, and I main Pit so pikachu is to fast so he just grabs pit and shocks him ton and put him onto his back and electrocutes pit even more and all i can do is sit there and watch Pits painful face because one your grabbed by pikachu this is basically what happens. SO ANNOYING!!!!!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Had one of those salty guy who played more and more dirty defensively, to the point that he never tried to take the initiative. Like he was just waiting at a side of the stage (with Falcon), just to roll behind me when I approach AND THEN he attacked.

Well... It allowed me to train a bit to do pivot Smashes, but when the guy just roll around you, waiting for you to do something (with a slight lag), it's just plain boring.

He even managed to SD himself with a Falcon Kick. Leaved with a RollGlory tag at the third match.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
How come? I've never had an issue with pacman really.
I just...

I can't stand their playstyle... :facepalm:

Roll > Fruit > Roll > Roll > Predictable Side B > Fruit > Roll > Hydrant > Fruit > Knock Hydrant at you > Fruit > Roll > Repeat.

Also, for some inexplicable reason just looking at his face makes me see red :mad:

:006:

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Make it short and sweet: What makes you rage in For Glory? What things does your opponent do in For Glory that sends you off and ticks you off?

For me, it's when I play a For Glory match and I fight a LINK user, and they just throw projectiles at me (As a Falco / R.O.B. / Pac-Man main, that's not smart.) And then when I get close they'll shield and up B out of shield or Down smash or just roll away til they're on the other side of the stage. And then when they get lucky enough to land a kill from spamming down smash or forward smash 1 and 2, they'll do his up taunt or down taunt and sometimes if they even WIN, they'll leave the room after being in the Viewing Results... thing for a long time, most likely saving a replay for them to laugh about how "good" they are or something. I only save For Glory replays when I go in deep with Falco , R.O.B. or especially Pac-Man. Or, if I get bodied by an ACTUAL good player who knows their character and does something flashy, like run off stage with Falcon and do a quick down air and it spikes.

What makes you guys mad in For Glory?
One word. Lag.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
People that taunt when you purposefully kill yourself in a laggy match to end it. I fought an Ike earlier today and beat him in a non-laggy match. The next match was really lagging so I purposefully SD'd. Right before I killed myself the second time, he did the "prepare yourself" taunt as if he accomplished something. As I was about to leave, I noticed he was still on the viewing results screen, meaning that he was probably taking a replay of it to show everyone ("HEY GUYZ LOOK THIS GUY KILLED HIMSELF FOR NO RESUN!").

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
When someone thinks they're good with a character just because they can do a simple easy tactic that everyone and their mother can do.
You can spam grabs and up tilt with Mario? You want a medal for that?
Oh wow, you know how to use arrows with Link? I bet that looks skilful with your down airs and random side smashes.

The worst of all for anything is your typical Little Mac game. The entire game expect the opponent to stand at the edge of the stage.
"Come over here Little Mac, I promise I won't throw you off the side and try to spike you!"

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
The worst of all for anything is your typical Little Mac game. The entire game expect the opponent to stand at the edge of the stage.
"Come over here Little Mac, I promise I won't throw you off the side and try to spike you!"
Yeah, have to admit i am guilty of that...

But come on, it is Little Mac. If the person know what he is doing with him, he won't be getting thrown offstage that easily, and fighting him center stage is kind of a bad idea.

Personally, what annoys me the most is using the name editor to either mock people or complain (close game, dude techs perfectly everytime i try to stage spike him, yet makes a mistake and loses, then proceeds to change his tag to "LAGGY***").

Takezo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
TAISH0U
it saddens me to see only Mario and Captain Falcon now >_> Occassionaly lil Mac is a character i see. but i can not remember the last time i play and sawed another character other than mario or Captain Falcon >~< Or let alone different style or tactic. :-(

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
I just...

I can't stand their playstyle... :facepalm:

Roll > Fruit > Roll > Roll > Predictable Side B > Fruit > Roll > Hydrant > Fruit > Knock Hydrant at you > Fruit > Roll > Repeat.

Also, for some inexplicable reason just looking at his face makes me see red :mad:

Hahaha I understand, I guess as Toon Link I can just out-camp them.
Lucario drives me nuts. Roll>roll>be crap until 130%> AURA>AURA>AURA>AURA>AURA>ROLL>AURA>lose

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I ****ing hate Wario's Chomp and his goddamn Bike with a complete and utter passion. And the late hitbox on his dash attack that makes opponents trips also annoy's me since it can lead to follow ups.

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
When people play you for a few matches and do really terrible (on purpose), Doing so causing you to be caught completely off guard when they choose the character(s) they actually play frequently.

Like please try to play.

oh, and tea-bagging. You are given a taunt button, use that. Tea-bagging is just disrespectful.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Forgot what REALLY grind my gear, but someone "kindly" reminded me: that's what I'll call "the approach conflict" from now on.

People who CONSTANTLY run and roll back.

And run and roll back and run and roll back and run and roll back and run and roll back...

This until you do something. I swear people can do this more than 10 times in a row.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Forgot what REALLY grind my gear, but someone "kindly" reminded me: that's what I'll call "the approach conflict" from now on.

People who CONSTANTLY run and roll back.

And run and roll back and run and roll back and run and roll back and run and roll back...

This until you do something. I swear people can do this more than 10 times in a row.
I'm just gonna call it "Little Mac Syndrome."

D

Deleted member

You know what grinds My gears, KlinkKlang

Jk But I hate it when i get matched with three zero suit samus and spam the stun gun so literally you cant move at all cause they time it so once one expires the next blast gets fired to hit right when other one wears off so its just your character screaming the enire match til they finish you off...

Last edited by a moderator:

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
One thing I came across recently is super cocky players that SD and wants to say ''Hey I only need 1 stock to beat your bad character!'' when they clearly can't. There was that one Lucina player that SD immediately when the match started probably because I was using low tier characters while Lucina is at the bottom of the most recent Japenese tier list with Mii Swordsman being below her. Find what's wrong there.

Last edited:

Manta

Smash Cadet
I was at a friends playing online and firstly our X buttons weren't working, which made it difficult to recover, and the lag, I press Y to jump and Marth jumps at least a second later.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
"What really grinds your gears in for glory mode?"

Virtually everything: All of the lag. How god awful pretty much everyone is. How I can't play using the 3DS (y'know, aside from on the 3DS). How many cut and dry Marios, Luigis, and Links there are. How many of said Marios, Luigis, and Links will take me to SD and win after I had more than 100% lead.

But most of all the lag. When I just want to run and shoot some lemons and instead I have to shoot the charge buster. Try to run in and shield, instead get a roll, which then for some reason becomes two rolls and now I'm turned the wrong direction. Lag makes me the saltiest ************ in town and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

GamemasterTom

Smash Rookie
NNID
GM-Tom
Let's see:

1 - Lag
2 - Sonic/Little Mac players, don't get me wrong, i played some good players of those characters...but also A LOT of bad players of those 2.
3 - When a player, after losing, changes to Bowser/Ganondorf.
4 - When i'm trying to do a smash or tilt, but the game thinks i'm using a jab.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Hahaha I understand, I guess as Toon Link I can just out-camp them.
Lucario drives me nuts. Roll>roll>be crap until 130%> AURA>AURA>AURA>AURA>AURA>ROLL>AURA>lose
This

Words cannot express how much this

This man understands

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People who think playing Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, or the same character as you is disrespectful.

...Actually, extend that in general to people who try too hard to disrespect other players.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
People who think playing Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, or the same character as you is disrespectful.

...Actually, extend that in general to people who try too hard to disrespect other players.
Some guy chose my main (Game & Watch), and tried to disrespect me during our last stocks by throwing out judgment hammer, he never landed a 9 and never landed more than 2 judgment hammers on me. I just laughed at that kid.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Some guy chose my main (Game & Watch), and tried to disrespect me during our last stocks by throwing out judgment hammer, he never landed a 9 and never landed more than 2 judgment hammers on me. I just laughed at that kid.
I'm really terrible as :4gaw:, and even I know that you can't spam Judge. I'm hoping the guy atleast had the common sense to try and set-up for it first... :facepalm:
Reason I posted this in the first place anyway is that I just had one guy ditto :4roy:(My main.) after a few nasty losses - I'm trying to get back into playing him after some serious neglect on my side. The guy was okay at smash, no doubt, but as soon as I played literally anyone but Roy the guy kept losing.
My :4robinf: tore through him like a knife to butter, and he eventually just resorted to playing no-one but :4ganondorf:. It didn't matter since he was just really bad, but the rare kill he got on me was followed by crouch spam as if he'd done something amazing.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh god, Dittos just to be disrepectful is... Well... Disrespectful. And easy to spot.
Basically, it combines disrespect, fleeing away and spam. Lots of spam.

I don't usually mind dittos. It's quite fun, and it's a battle of skill. It can't be one sided because of the character.

But if it's just to wait and spam things... No. Just no. Especially if it means being bad with the character you try to beat.

Top Bottom