• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
Annoying players that roll all over the stage and spam one move. I had a Shulk that literally just spammed backslash. He wasn't difficult to deal with, just annoying.

Rich Homie Supreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
StriderJon
those who use only "top teir" characters.
What if they just generally like the characters for what they are?
Rosalina is a fun and kinda unique character, diddy has a bunch of tools at his disposal, zss is sexy and is very efficient(so is shulk :3), and as for any others they also have good qualities that make them generally appealing besides their tier placement. I feel that complaints about high tier characters is just johning tbh.
Another thing that grinds my gears is unspoken rules. Because how would i know if it's never said?

Last edited:

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Another thing that grinds my gears is unspoken rules. Because how would i know if it's never said?
I agree, but at the same time, some things are just common sense. If you SD by mistake and your opponent taunts you twice, in what way is that okay?

Rich Homie Supreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
StriderJon
I feel that taunting isn't really insulting or disrespectful.
Taunting is more for laughs than anything else imo.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Only thing online grinding my gears are laggy matches.
I also get angry about messing up inputs during online fights, but that's my own fault, not the online modes.
(Sometimes i mess up edge-guarding with Charizards downB, and suicide myself with Flareblitz instead...)

I feel that taunting isn't really insulting or disrespectful.
Taunting is more for laughs than anything else imo.
Yupp, taunting is completely harmless.
In the japanese games it's even called "smash-appeal" ( (スマッシュアピール), as in trying to appeal to the audience, instead of taunting your opponent.

Then again, people here will take the smallest thing as an insult:
Playing as a certain character (little mac), leaving after the first match (most do it because of laggy connections), mirror matches (omg so disrespectful!!!), taunting, accidental self destructs, campy playstyles, zoning, -hell, i've seen people get angry/insulted about edge-guarding and spiking, two completely normal aspects of Smash.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yupp, taunting is completely harmless.
In the japanese games it's even called "smash-appeal" ( (スマッシュアピール), as in trying to appeal to the audience, instead of taunting your opponent.

Then again, people here will take the smallest thing as an insult:
Playing as a certain character (little mac), leaving after the first match (most do it because of laggy connections), mirror matches (omg so disrespectful!!!), taunting, accidental self destructs, campy playstyles, zoning, -hell, i've seen people get angry/insulted about edge-guarding and spiking, two completely normal aspects of Smash.
People will soon be offended by Zelda's jab.

I don't find taunts insulting, if it's not done twice or after an error.

Anyway, I remember playing (offline) with a friend who took :4littlemac:. As :4robinf:, the ONLY natural thing is to use my Nair against him.
He raged, because "I wasn't allowed to do this".

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
People will soon be offended by Zelda's jab.

I don't find taunts insulting, if it's not done twice or after an error.

Anyway, I remember playing (offline) with a friend who took :4littlemac:. As :4robinf:, the ONLY natural thing is to use my Nair against him.
He raged, because "I wasn't allowed to do this".
Haha, just how i'm not allowed to use Zards' Flareblitz to punish whiffed attacks with long recoveries, landing lag, and roll-happy opponents.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Multiple things I shall list in order from most annoying to least
1. easy mode players you know the ones that use the cheapest possible strategies like ness players that use pk fire then fully charged f smash over and over then f throw or b throw when you are at a high damage
2 bowser users in general he is worse than little mac in cheapness because he can fight in the air and has a decent recovery
3 lag leavers the people that just kill themselves when they see the smallest amount of lag I don't like it ether but at least finish the match assholes
4 up tilt spammers
5 lack of variety be honest how many people do you see use characters like duck hunt or wii fit trainer and compare them to DK's and Mario's
6 Kirbycide it doesn't happen often but when it dose its annoying

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
It really bugs me when I take off a stock quickly or took little damage and the opponent just goes afk right afterwards.

I have to respond back with a Falcon Punch.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
It really bugs me when I take off a stock quickly or took little damage and the opponent just goes afk right afterwards.
Usually people do things like this to spoil the win for you. It's like someone walking away from a tournament match they're losing. It'll only bother you if you let it bother you though... I say just take the win and not worry about it.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but those who just barely scrape out a win after multiple consecutive losses, and then leave immediately.

Pretty toxic mindset, in my humble opinion, and it seriously gets on my nerves.

[OP] OctoPad

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmasherP83
what boils me in For Glory? It only to happen to me in the 3DS version (cause I still play it) but I love whenever they think I'm dead they taunt or they'll just taunt just by knocking me offstage. I don't know it gets me angry.

Cyndafyre

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cyndafyre
3DS FC
4356-0805-2400
Any match with lag makes it instantly not very fun...

I'm finding it hard to stand overly defensive / campy players, who typically roll way too much. Related to this are people who never approach and just wait for the shield-grab. Generally I find that these people can only pull off repetitive cheap combos out of grab (Often: :4ness: / :4mario:/ :4samus: / :4diddy:/ Some :4falcon:) without changing up their game very much.

Strangely, I don't mind taunting - and I won't taunt unless my opponent does first. It hurts though when you give someone a free stock when you see them SD from an error and they return the favor with a taunt when you make a similar mistake.

I didn't know that leaving / switching characters after a first match win gets on peoples nerves. Also, I think I can understand how taunting at certain times can mean different things for different people - Interesting...

GreatSogeking

Smash Rookie
Waiting in the practice room and just getting a series of disconnects.

Some days I can't tell if it's because they don't like my mii (it's a hobo) or if they're failing to connect to me. The former most frequently happens when people with what I assume to be Japanese names join...

Other things that grind my gears are just rude players in general. And by rude I mean the kind that seem to have names set specifically for calling someone else out on how much they suck. (Or the rare occasion where someone tells me to get off because they'll only play Japanese players. Actually happened once! Don't get the guy's deal.)

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
When I want a salty rematch after they teabag and taunt, and they just leave. That and people who just use projectiles the whole time and rolling to the corners. As a Robin, Falcon, Marth, Link, Ganon player, it's just annoying.

BlueShadow.EXE

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueShadow.EXE
3DS FC
2036-9070-3056
For me, I hate it when a Jigglypuff just stalls by floating around under the stage. Being someone who mains Bowser, that means I can't even touch him/her. So we end up going to Sudden Death and just grab him and throw him off. But it's frustrating because I just wait for like 4 minutes doing nothing while he dances around me. Just a wast off time.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
I get mad when I try to taunt by going under the stage with fox and die :(

that and people who leave after a single match, I often use characters I dont know how to use on for glory and if someone leaves after beating a character I am new at without fighting one of my mains, well I feel kind of blueballed tbh!

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Well, here's a list of 'em that I just had to post because I'm feelin' super :shaker:y RN since I ran into some really annoying players while trying to train my non-mains a bit more:

I really can't stress how much I hate people who think losing mirror matches is disrespectful. I've mentioned this before, but it really warrants a second mention. So you know how to play a character better than me, well done to you.
-actually, extend this to losing in For Glory in general. I dunno where the idea that "Winning a video game over the internet is a reason to act superior and obnoxious." came from, but it needs to stop being a thing.

Robin players who only charge to Thoron and then instantly use it. -to a point where I like to play a game where I anticipate it and say "Moron." at the same time they use it. (Geddit? Thoron rhymes with Moron. Hurr hurr.)

People who think you can spam as Robin.

Villager F-air/B-air ledge spammers.

Spammers in general.

People who resort to spam because they're losing.

Sore losers. -even if I lose to really obnoxious stuff, I rarely quit. If I get just one win, I don't quit. The only time I quit against another player is if I feel they're not learning anything from fighting me. You're meant to be getting better, not just doing what you think will make you win fastest, even if it makes you lose.

People who are only good as one character but act as if they're smash gods. -they usually quit when their main loses, and will swap to their main if they even remotely lose as anyone else.

People who don't know basic techs like DI and/or are playing like a flowchart, but still win anyway - you're not getting any better, please stop. They're usually spammers. [See above.]

People who quit after a single loss even after they start to disrespect. I'm sorry, but you either have an ego or you don't, I don't care if you do, doesn't bother me, but frankly you can't just instantly turn into a chicken on your first loss or you're a complete [:GCCN:] that cares too much about W/L ratio.

List over, I have it out of my system. :salt: Salt has returned to it's rightful container.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Robin players who only charge to Thoron and then instantly use it. -to a point where I like to play a game where I anticipate it and say "Moron." at the same time they use it. (Geddit? Thoron rhymes with Moron. Hurr hurr.)
It is midnight here, i was just checking Smashboards before going to sleep, and this got me laughing way more than it should.
Seriously, you should trademark that ****, sounds like a funny game XD.

Mjolnir/Hunter101

Smash Cadet
NNID
ryfennn
I do kind of wish there were more exciting stages, but not ones full of hazards or lots of massive transitions.
Aso dont like ppl that are so much better than me that theres no room to breathe. i'm fine losing by one stock, especially if i came close to winning.
People who switch to the same fighter as though to mock you.
People who taunt excessively if they are utterly destroying you.

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
Finding a great player who keeps me on my toes, has a respectable playstyle, and drives the game close! This is what For Glory is about!

... and then they turn out to be a total douchebag by spamming asinine remarks through tags. There goes all my respect for that player. Yep, all gone.

Oh, and the people who blame lag for a loss (when it shouldn't even matter because... lag). Please, people. Stop complaining that you lost because of lag. Lag goes both ways and affects all parties. If you're taking a loss from lag seriously, you shouldn't be playing this game online.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Almost the entirety of the mode grinds my gears. Sure, I get some really fun matches every once in a while, but otherwise....

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
In Team mode, i hate teammates that just HAVE to hit the enemies at all times even when doing so completely sabotages your kill or setup.

This includes breaking stun/sleep when you are about to oneshot an enemy, or interrupting your would-be-kill smash with a grab or whatever...

Just.........urgh!

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Just remembered more stuff! Flare Blitz makes me go to troll mode: I jump the attack instead of trying to kill (but I will never forget the day I've used Ness' bat to kill Charizard) and when anyone just SD without battling.
Bad teammates make me scream like Fox (picture <---): I basically end up doing everything!

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Whenever I fight a Peach player, nearly kill them, and they camp out near the blast zones, Far Far Away from my characters reach.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Make it short and sweet: What makes you rage in For Glory? What things does your opponent do in For Glory that sends you off and ticks you off?

For me, it's when I play a For Glory match and I fight a LINK user, and they just throw projectiles at me (As a Falco / R.O.B. / Pac-Man main, that's not smart.) And then when I get close they'll shield and up B out of shield or Down smash or just roll away til they're on the other side of the stage. And then when they get lucky enough to land a kill from spamming down smash or forward smash 1 and 2, they'll do his up taunt or down taunt and sometimes if they even WIN, they'll leave the room after being in the Viewing Results... thing for a long time, most likely saving a replay for them to laugh about how "good" they are or something. I only save For Glory replays when I go in deep with Falco , R.O.B. or especially Pac-Man. Or, if I get bodied by an ACTUAL good player who knows their character and does something flashy, like run off stage with Falcon and do a quick down air and it spikes.

What makes you guys mad in For Glory?
Exzactly what you said but also a few others.

ZSS spam Stun gun then Run and grapple beam...jump and down air which has no landing lag and cant be punished (Repeat x100)

Duck Hunt dog
..eh..yh..this one doesnt need explaining..

Ness: PK fire and Up (B) spam

Sonic: Spin dash spam.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Whenever I fight a Peach player, nearly kill them, and they camp out near the blast zones, Far Far Away from my characters reach.
I know that feel, I fought a Greninja who just ran away and used Shadow Sneak and Shurikens the whole fight.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ugh, I can't stand stallers especially on 2v2 FG.

I was just on 2v2 and I had a Link as my partner. The C. Falcon that tried to kill him accidently SD'd so the Link taunted like he did something. For the rest of the match (which was a whopping 40 seconds), my Link partner did nothing but wait on the ledge/roll to the other side. He even had the audacity to change his name to "LOL" after the match ended.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I just...

I can't stand their playstyle... :facepalm:

Roll > Fruit > Roll > Roll > Predictable Side B > Fruit > Roll > Hydrant > Fruit > Knock Hydrant at you > Fruit > Roll > Repeat.

Also, for some inexplicable reason just looking at his face makes me see red :mad:

:006:
Grab his dang fruit. He can't use it if you are holding on to it. Did that once to a Pac-man. LMFAO. I had them chasing me the entire match. I used Link's specials to slowly build up his damage.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
For me, I hate it when a Jigglypuff just stalls by floating around under the stage. Being someone who mains Bowser, that means I can't even touch him/her. So we end up going to Sudden Death and just grab him and throw him off. But it's frustrating because I just wait for like 4 minutes doing nothing while he dances around me. Just a wast off time.
From one bowser main to another~

The Jigglypuff will eventually have to land on the stage, or he/she will lose their invincibility on their next ledgegrab.
Just follow them in whichever direction they try to go and edgeguard them however you want. Dtilt them next time they grab the ledge, do a ledge trump into bair, or go for the fair/bair stage spike.

You have a bigger advantage than you think here.:p

bowser users in general he is worse than little mac in cheapness because he can fight in the air and has a decent recovery
Come on, that's just unfair :c

Here, Lemme list a few other characters who are good in the air and have a decent (or even great recovery)

:4bowserjr::4charizard::4metaknight::4palutena::4dedede:

These guys are all considered low tier garbage by most characters. I mean, if you're going to spread da hate at least have a good reason~

(unless it's R.O.B. Kill it with fire)

Honestly, bowser is one of those characters that is easy to pick up, but also easy to shut down if you know how to fight him. Try playing bowser against a skilled Megaman, Duck Hunt, Shiek, Yoshi, or Falcon, that knows the matchup... it's not fun. You'll need to be a bit more creative with your limited toolset to deal with these characters. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who bowser outright crushes. He's a heavy hitter, but you're going to need to outplay your opponent and get a few clever reads in order to win.

(sorry if that came off as ranty, but I must stand up for my mains :p)

:009:

The thing that grinds my gears in For Glory the most...
When I meet a skilled opponent, but lag prevents us from being able to enjoy a good match.

Also ROB :ohwell:

I can't explain why... I don't understand why he bugs me so much... just...He's...I have to kill it with fire every time I see it.

:006:

Grab his dang fruit. He can't use it if you are holding on to it. Did that once to a Pac-man. LMFAO. I had them chasing me the entire match. I used Link's specials to slowly build up his damage.
I did not know this. Thank you sir I have much to consider :smirk:

:4rob:

The spam. The SPAAAAAAAAAAAAM.
Make it Stahp.

Okay so like.

1. Every ROB I fight ALWAYS has a terrible connection.

2. THE GYROS. THE LAZORS. The Gyros have an insaaaane amount of knockback, you're going to have to read when he tosses this thing out, becasue if it's lagging powershilding this thing on reaction is going to be impossible.

Literally if you have the most godlike reflexes of any human being, the game will still fail to read the shield input in time for you to protect yoruself. His Lazor is the same way, only it launches you up and gives the ROB free stage control.

3. I play charizard. If it get hit by a lazor, i get launched upward, which is a really bad spot to be in because poor char is a sitting duck for Rob's juggles.

4. WHY IS HE IN THE GAAAAAAAME ;__;

All da :shaker:

Ps. PacMan has been forgiven, after fighting a few skilled PacMan players I gotta say, it's a pretty fun and goofy fight.
/end rant

Last edited:

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Almost the entirety of the mode grinds my gears. Sure, I get some really fun matches every once in a while, but otherwise....
I started playing a lot of Smash Run and kinda stopped doing online for a while. Went back for a few 1v1s are then stopped again- I wasn't having fun at all. It just felt kind of poisonous most of the time.

Samus that spams Charge Shots.
I havn't figured out how to deal with that yet.
Oh same. When they send you flying and you have to get back to the stage, but every time you're about to land it's just another fully charged one to the face. Can't air or spot dodge it...it's just....ugh...

Last edited:

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Luigis that use one combo the entire match....D-throw, Fair, Fair,

Also, people that use spammable characters, most of them just roll to the other edge and play CoD with you

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
:4bowserjr:s that NEVER Side B Jump Cancel at ANY point in a match, not even for recovery. SO much of what makes him as good as he is at punishing, chasing, KO-ing, and even recovery, all go right out the window if you don't use Side B Jump Cancels. I've at least taught one of them the might of the Side B Jump Cancel (forgot the name of the person who pulled that off), and it led to one of my absolute most favorite matches in all of FG Teams.

:4duckhunt:s that, when they bring out their projectiles, focus so strongly on them that they're just sitting there, and it's not because of edgeguarding or in a match against someone that struggles with approaching him in general (i.e. :4bowser:, :4ganondorf:, :4dedede:, etc.). You CAN travel with or away from your arsenal, dogs, and you can even use them as cover fire for when you do decide to go in. They'll also protect you from several projectiles and approach moves.

Samus that spams Charge Shots.
I havn't figured out how to deal with that yet.
Oh same. When they send you flying and you have to get back to the stage, but every time you're about to land it's just another fully charged one to the face. Can't air or spot dodge it...it's just....ugh...
Speaking of DH, he's someone I'd recommend if this is a frequent occurance, because he can bring out a Gunmen at frame 3 to block off the Charge Shot completely. He can also do so with the Can (your ideal 1st line of defense that hopefully is out there, between you and Samus, when the Charge Shot DOES come out) and Clays (your 3rd line of defense, for when Gunman's KO'd). If a Charge Shot's coming at you while you're off-stage and/or landing, try bringing out a Gunman if he's not been KO'd to protect you while you're recovering. Quite a handy ability to have in FG Teams or even FG FFA, where keeping your shield big for the possible flurry of attacks that could come your way is important. In FG Teams, it's also one of the best ways to protect both yourself & your partner when projectile and/or approach-move heavy characters are in the field.

EDIT: Oh, and I do believe I've uploaded 4 replays showcasing this: 3 in the 3DS version by the names of "DuckMac Synergy~" (only the 1st 5 seconds though), "Clay<Shadow Ball", and "GunmenAsKeyGuard", and 1 in the Wii U version by the name of "GunmenGuardians!". All are located in United States FG Teams Duck Hunt, and all should be pretty easy to find (look for Sploosh), since not too many people seem to play as DH in FG Teams in America... <_< Feel free to view & critique my other replays that I've uploaded from within the versions. Hopefully I've showcased some tech that can help advance the metagames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom