• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
So what's the deal with people in FG picking the same character in the same color as you after you beat them? Is this the new form of being salty?

Few weeks ago I beat this guy in a few matches with Ike in the white color palette, afterwards he picked a white Ike as well, which I completely destroyed with my white Ike, then he called me gay through the name tags and I left.

Then today I beat some guy's Bowser Jr. with a blue Dedede and then he picked a blue Dedede. I didn't win that match since I switched to Ike and made a lot of bad choices in that match, but I got a really sweet aether spike while recovering so the match was worth it. It's shameful enough to be playing a flying character and get killed by Ike's recovery.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
If you play your main a lot, you should never really lose a mirror. If they beat you, than that's probably because they have more experience with that character than you think :D

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
If you play your main a lot, you should never really lose a mirror. If they beat you, than that's probably because they have more experience with that character than you think :D
I won the Ike mirror, it was Ike vs Dedede that I lost, because I don't have nearly as much Dedede experience (plus I think Dedede might be a better character anyway)

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
^ if in doubt spam gordos and Fsmash

But to be serious, I have a ton of respect for an Ike main. I hardly ever see any

If I do see an Ike, they spam Side B or they spam smashes and hold them for the full duration

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Thanks. I try to limit my use of fsmash to almost never (the occasional edge guard works) and my side b is used more as spacing, approach, and recovery methods than as an attack. For me it's all about juggling opponents ;)

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
I've found that as I play more and more, and get better, less things seem to bother me. I guess the thing that seems to bother me lately are players who play way too defensive and make the game last longer than it should be. *cough Rosalina players who don't do anything*. For some reason, whenever I face Kirby, I also seem to get Sudden Death matches as well

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Rosalina players irritate me a great deal. I know for a fact that there are wonderful Rosalina players out there, I just haven't faced any of them because all the ones I've faced run from the fight and leave Luma to create a wall.

I find solace in the fact that many of these players are bad enough to where once Luma is gone they die fairly easy because they can't actually fight.

Kytos

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4957-5186-8258
Mirrors matches....gets one lucky hit due to Sudden lag spike or me messing up,they win,taunt and leave immediately.
Omfg.

Though, I have to say I sort of like Mirror Matches. It's all down to skill and control of the character. It's very rare to see people do well in Sonic Mirrors without spamming Spin Dash.

Most people don't know the difference between Spin Dash and Spin Charge. Lol Which makes them lean to Spin Dash a lot more.

Falcon mirrors are best tho.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Though, I have to say I sort of like Mirror Matches. It's all down to skill and control of the character. It's very rare to see people do well in Sonic Mirrors without spamming Spin Dash.

Most people don't know the difference between Spin Dash and Spin Charge. Lol Which makes them lean to Spin Dash a lot more.
I couldn't agree more. They always play out differently than other matchups due to neither character having any natural advantage or disadvantage over their opponent, as well as both you and your opponent knowing how our character prefers to setup and score KO's as well as how to prevent the opponent from doing that.

Personally, I love the Palutena ditto the most simply due to how fast paced the fights are, especially considering how she is normally a slow paced fighter who is focused on punishing mistakes. Unfortunately, it is rare to find a Palutena player online at all, especially one who doesn't spam her specials or use her smash attacks haphazardly.

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Had a :4villager: yesterday down to last stock, he's at 120 percent im at 10 percent so basically no damage. We're on for glory on one of the omega stages that has an underside to the stage. Essentially when it comes down to a minute 30 left he gives up, drops down ledge and continually uses his up b to go from ledge to ledge. I had to sit there for a minute attacking the ledge waiting for him to screw up which he eventually did and instantly died.

I don't see the point of trying to stall it out to sudden death, sudden death literally proves nothing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Had a :4villager: yesterday down to last stock, he's at 120 percent im at 10 percent so basically no damage. We're on for glory on one of the omega stages that has an underside to the stage. Essentially when it comes down to a minute 30 left he gives up, drops down ledge and continually uses his up b to go from ledge to ledge. I had to sit there for a minute attacking the ledge waiting for him to screw up which he eventually did and instantly died.

I don't see the point of trying to stall it out to sudden death, sudden death literally proves nothing.
I can understand it if you're down to the last 10-15 seconds but I have had people who have been able to stall for longer than a minute. Some characters it's easy to deal with but others it's a huge plan. This is probably my biggest pet peeve when I decide to use WFT.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
am I in the minority that I love facing a good villager?

Had the most hilarious match when I faced a villager and we spent like a 30 seconds fighting over rockets. He'd shoot one, I'd reflect, then he'd pocket and repeat

The best thing though is when they drop the bowling ball over the ledge and I say.. ***** plz, and reflect it and I see them die insta

The bad villagers though, I usually beat them in about 30 seconds

Last edited:

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
am I in the minority that I love facing a good villager?

Had the most hilarious match when I faced a villager and we spent like a 30 seconds fighting over rockets. He'd shoot one, I'd reflect, then he'd pocket and repeat
Not at all, I like fighting anyone about the same skill as me. Waay better is no fun coz I just get smushed, waay worse is no fun because I may as well be in training mode. (Well I don't think I've ever enjoyed fighting Sonic, but we'll leave that).
^ As soon as I typed that I fought a Sonic. Yeah, nah, I hope Sonic dies in the firey pits of hell.

And that's fantastic. I love little games like that where you kinda make friends with your opponent...once I was Sheik and another Sheik came up and we both spent any spare moment rapidly teabagging the floor. It was brilliant fun.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I won the Ike mirror, it was Ike vs Dedede that I lost, because I don't have nearly as much Dedede experience (plus I think Dedede might be a better character anyway)
Dedede's only better in that he has a projectile (and a pretty flawed one at that) and has a real offstage game.
Outside of it, Ike has some decent attack strings, higher attack speed in general (it seems; I haven't checked the frame data, but having used Ike across Brawl, PM, and 4, he just seems all-around quicker), and jab is his answer to "I don't know what move to use but I need to use something right now".
I do think that Dedede can win the matchup since his his potential to gimp Ike is just crazy, but if Dedede can't manage to "control" Ike's movement, he doesn't have much of an answer to anything given how long it takes to start up something.
Not to mention Ike naturally has quite a bit of range.

As Dedede, I use a near stationary gordo in neutral with fair pokes in case they try to jump out and deflect it; if they're very aggressive, I usually don't even bother throwing one out since I can pretty much catch them with a timed nair drop or jab -> jab -> grab/dtilt/dsmash/fair/jab1 with minimal problems.
If they like to run up and shield, I'll usually give them some room and take to the air since not many people actually try to hit me, easy as it seems; if it looks like I can't land safely, I can either go for a really risky option like nair/bair (less risky) drop anyway or I can drop to the ledge where I can poke through the stage with uairs or float around over them until I've got space to land.
In general, I play a very gimmicky Dedede that relies heavily on attack strings that only work on people who don't run away and airdodge all the time and/or capitalizing on their airdodges/jump-aways and getting ridiculous KOs/edgeguards.

As Ike, I'd use nair or fair to deflect gordos since those have wide, sweeping hitboxes; remember that Dedede can pretty much only get something going if you give him the time or space to do it, and if you can firmly establish that gordos won't work (or even work against him), you'll see him attempting to approach you, which Dedede cannot do regardless of what it looks like.
In general, if you shield it, you can punish it, so use that to your advantage, not to mention it's like I said earlier: Dedede can only get something going if you let him, so if you beat him to the punch every time (with appropriate spacing), he can't do jack.
Fair's probably your best option at contesting him in the air, but most of your aerial options are decent enough anyway, so feel free to get creative with your punishes because you most likely won't see him do anything but attempt to swat you away with his own fair.
Be wary of his dtilt since I'm 90% sure that thing has a disjointed hitbox, not to mention it comes out faster than you'd think.
Also watch for sudden bair drops since it's definitely one of my favorite ways to KO and make people nervous.
Don't jump in/drop down and counter vs a competent Dedede, though, unless you haven't used it at all during the match; I purposely smash at awful times and hold it just because I know Ike's counter frames will die before my charge does.
If Dedede does jump out and edgeguard you with a fair string, try to hold your double jump because the third fair (if he goes for it) will likely be positioned to catch that.
Sorry if you already know any of this, just thought I'd share some stuff.

In relevance to the thread, I hate it when people purposely run away for most of the match or spend the entire match attempting to camp me.
I've found that Jiggs solves most of the problems I have with projectile-heavy characters, but I don't really like having to rely on her to get past something so simple.
If Dedede's hammer could have real priority over whatever's thrown at it, I wouldn't have so much of an issue, but I hate how ridiculous it can be to try and get in on some of these characters, especially Villager and DHD.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Dedede's hammer beats most projectiles. I beated a villager today destroying most of his gyroids.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I'm pretty sure I said :rosalina: already, but if I didn't I'll say it again. :rosalina: and her Luma annoy's me. Luma is an annoying shield, and :rosalina: herself is annoying, that dash attack is hard to punish and people who spam her roll's just makes me wanna wreck things.

Ghostnapper

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cobaltshine
It's a stormy night and I am playing FG as Ike at 10 pm, first match is a mirror match and the lag almost killed me since whoever I was versing was spamming the Fsmash, so damn lucky that a stage 9 eruption has super frames @_@

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I hate that in any close matches that I win, I give my opponent a 2/3 at least. But whenever I lose a close match, especially against a top tier that I struggle against like Diddy or Yoshi, the person always disconnects if they win the match. This is true whether it's the first match or if I defeat someone 5 times in a row, but then they switch to Diddy, win one close match, and disconnect.

I swear that most of these wannabe tourney players are so terrified of losing that they disconnect if their win is remotely close.

Token523

Smash Rookie
I main Ness so a lot of people call me a spammer online because of pk fire and that really annoys me, since it's one of my spacing tools. So whenever this happens I proceed to beat the person without using pk fire. And normally. After that they quit.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
I main Ness so a lot of people call me a spammer online because of pk fire and that really annoys me, since it's one of my spacing tools. So whenever this happens I proceed to beat the person without using pk fire. And normally. After that they quit.
Yeah I play a lot of Toon Link, so I'm thankful I only have the 3ds version and can't get messages. A Toon Link that doesn't use constant arrows, boomerangs and bombs is at an instant and massive disadvantage...

I will say that Ness's (?) tackle and Fair genuinely infuriate me. The range on them is fantastic and I hate hate hate it. It feels like he can tackle me from halfway across the stage.

Also, I just played 4-player FG match in which there was a Sonic who did nothing but spam B, a Kirby who took his power and consequently spammed B, a Robin who stood at the edge and spammed B, and myself.

Worst match ever.

Last edited:

Ghostnapper

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cobaltshine
Yeah I play a lot of Toon Link, so I'm thankful I only have the 3ds version and can't get messages. A Toon Link that doesn't use constant arrows, boomerangs and bombs is at an instant and massive disadvantage...

I will say that Ness's (?) tackle and Fair genuinely infuriate me. The range on them is fantastic and I hate hate hate it. It feels like he can tackle me from halfway across the stage.

Also, I just played 4-player FG match in which there was a Sonic who did nothing but spam B, a Kirby who took his power and consequently spammed B, a Robin who stood at the edge and spammed B, and myself.

Worst match ever.
strangely I played a similar match, 'cept instead of robin it was a Link

GaboRJ

Smash Rookie
1) Campers
2) Spammers
3) Laggers

I dislike campers the most because they make the match last longer than necessary.

Last edited:

Rocket52

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rocket52
3DS FC
2664-2303-0107
My answer is so simple that its smaller than the post minimum.
Lag.

In extension I guess I also hate it when people feel accomplished in beating me when there's an incredible amount of lag.

NinjaBoy72

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-3192-3410
Besides lag, for me is losing a game where someone just stand on one side of the map and spam moves, then they get your first stock they spam taunts and when they finally kill you they make sure to spam taunts extra hard. Like if that's how you like to play and it works for you sure I don't mind, But why the bm? I just get so frustrated that I cant play around someone doing the same thing and then when they start the taunts I get too caught up being angry that I cant even concentrate on the game to win anymore. I mean I can start doing the same thing as them and just stand there and spam moves but I want to improve and get better.

Ghostnapper

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cobaltshine
Besides lag, for me is losing a game where someone just stand on one side of the map and spam moves, then they get your first stock they spam taunts and when they finally kill you they make sure to spam taunts extra hard. Like if that's how you like to play and it works for you sure I don't mind, But why the bm? I just get so frustrated that I cant play around someone doing the same thing and then when they start the taunts I get too caught up being angry that I cant even concentrate on the game to win anymore. I mean I can start doing the same thing as them and just stand there and spam moves but I want to improve and get better.
Same for many of us man, I usually don't play my main's on FG only characters I'm learning to play which helps me find situations that I need to improve on. Occasionally you get a good player with no lag then you get someone who lags, stalls, or spams a move

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Sonic sonic sonic sick of seeing this thing in for glory and it dictating the entire match. They were out of their mind when they made and balanced sonic hmm yes let's give the fastest character in the game a kill throw nice and balanced. Nothing makes me saltier than sonic it seems like nothing has lag so punishes have to be perfect it's ridiculous

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I remember saying that lagging is the only thing that grinds my gears up in For Glory.
But I would also like to add that the controls tends to be unresponsive. There are times where I want to do a smash attack but I ended doing jabs instead. I don't know if it's still considered lagging but I figure it's another thought to put in.

Mega Majikku

Smash Rookie
Well for me, it's a number of things.

Players with input lag. Now, regular lag, y'know the game freezing for a couple of seconds or maybe have a small hiccup I can deal with, but goodness, input lag just makes me want to quit the match (but I don't, because I don't want to get banned from a few matches).

Link/Toon Link spammers. Now, I know I main Toon Link, but I'm talking about the Link/TL players who spam arrows, boomerang, bombs, forward smashes, up smash, and then roll to the other side of the stage just to repeat everything you went through.

And lastly, the Captain Falcon and Little Mac spammers. Those who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and constantly go for the same moves over, and over, and over again, then taunt like crazy when they get the kill.

Like, these people just need to stop.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Link spammers are making a bad name for Link mains like myself.

And Captain Falcon is not only overused with people using the same moves and over again but he also became such an easy character to beat, especially as Rosalina. His moves are so predictable now it's not even fun anymore.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I guess that the thing that really grind my gear is people that mirror you. As a Zelda main, if often means:

Bad Player:
-Farore, Din spam
-Totally "unpredictable" double jump lighting kicks.

Good and Salty player:
-Running away like crazy
-Never taking the initiative, punish only

One is just painful to see, the other takes ages to end.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I guess that the thing that really grind my gear is people that mirror you. As a Zelda main, if often means:

Bad Player:
-Farore, Din spam
-Totally "unpredictable" double jump lighting kicks.

Good and Salty player:
-Running away like crazy
-Never taking the initiative, punish only

One is just painful to see, the other takes ages to end.
It's like we're the same people omg. Though I usually lose against people who punish-only online. I assume it's because of my delay, because offline... Well, punish-only never works.

False. If they camp and roll a lot, yet you do not, you can easily lose despite being better.

I play like this is a fighting game, so it is quite easy to beat my Zelda if a person anti-fights me. Though if she were faster... Then... Eesh... Good luck. I gave her 50+ speed/+7 power/+1 defense without any side-buffs and she was a god damned monster in the friendly 1v1s I played.

So of course, now I am totally against using custom equipment. Watching Zelda soar across half the stage and lightning kick someone is as satisfying as it is awkward to do. It's like "Oh... So... That just happened, huh?"

What grinds my gears in FG:
Camping. Rolling a lot. It's more annoying than maddening. Only because it wastes my time and is very unfun. I am there to fight, not to race, dance, run away, do jumping jacks, pretend to be a tumbleweed, or anything else that's anti-fighting.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
something that grinds my gears is bad sportman ship players.
those who Taunting and Dash-Dancing after everykill and leave on the first win or those who insults you and leave.

lag do also grind my gears but not as much as bad sportman ship players

Appdude

Smash Cadet
ANNOYING STRATEGIES

And when they win, they taunt like they are better than you, even though the entire game was: rollrollroll, charge up aura sphere /pacman fruit/etc., OR standing there........and standing there.....not attacking, not even advancing.....still standing, oh! I see you have tried to approach me in a fighting game! I'll just roll and whip out the fastest move I've got! OR Ness's sideB, down throw, X3 F-airs, OR Diddy kong pulling out a banana peal, throwing, grabbing you after trip, D throw, up air, up air, pulling out a banana peal, throwing, grabbing you after trip, D throw, up air, up air, pulling out a banana peal, throwing, grabbing you after trip, D throw, up air, up air, Oh! it looks like you died! I MUST be better than you. Lemme taunt. I hate it.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
I hate Little Mac online. No, I hate Little Mac, period. I also hate whenever I beat a person a bunch of times, then they win out of luck, save it (which I can tell from seeing them on the viewing results status), then leave.

I actually am really salty when I play online. I rage a ton, lmao.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
something that grinds my gears is bad sportman ship players.
those who Taunting and Dash-Dancing after everykill and leave on the first win or those who insults you and leave.

lag do also grind my gears but not as much as bad sportman ship players
I literally JUST faced someone like that.
srry for double post :<

Last edited:

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Last night showed me that i cant deal with campers fought a WFT who just jumped off the cliff and side bed and ran away and charged there b i lost about 4 times beat them twice then left because it was annoying.Promptly afterward found a guy named Ph1re that guy was wayyyyy too good for a normal FG player lol so from camper to Overly skilled just a bad night of FG. also dont like yoshi sonic or kirby.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Last night showed me that i cant deal with campers fought a WFT who just jumped off the cliff and side bed and ran away and charged there b i lost about 4 times beat them twice then left because it was annoying.Promptly afterward found a guy named Ph1re that guy was wayyyyy too good for a normal FG player lol so from camper to Overly skilled just a bad night of FG. also dont like yoshi sonic or kirby.
Oh god, I faced a Wii Fit Trainer like that earlier today. Those kind of players are absolutely miserable to fight because Wii Fit Trainer is a very good character for turtling due to her side b being good for stalling on the ledge.

It makes it even worse considering that Wii Fit Trainer could have a lot of potential being an extremely fun and effective close range fighter since some of her attacks can hit in two different directions simultaneously, but it is very rare to find one who ever even tries to approach.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Oh god, I faced a Wii Fit Trainer like that earlier today. Those kind of players are absolutely miserable to fight because Wii Fit Trainer is a very good character for turtling due to her side b being good for stalling on the ledge.

It makes it even worse considering that Wii Fit Trainer could have a lot of potential being an extremely fun and effective close range fighter since some of her attacks can hit in two different directions simultaneously, but it is very rare to find one who ever even tries to approach.
Yea the matchs i won werent worth it losing with my mains makes me salty so i ended up playing even worse haha

Top Bottom