• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Losing to a low-skilled player, although a lot of things bother me about For Glory and I'm starting to avoid it now. Just today I met 2 players using :4lucina: and :4dk: and lost to them over 3 times even though they had predictable habits and tactics (excessive use of grabbing, air dodging, countering, etc.) that I didn't take advantage of. Even though I acknowledge am not much better than they are if I keep losing to them, I can still tell by the way they were playing that they were not very good. Nothing makes me saltier than losing to someone I feel is bad, and I can't help but stick around for payback to try and turn the tides. I kind of did turn the tables in the end, but they changed characters and I didn't get to beat them with the ones I wanted to; so I consider that a hollow victory.

When stuff that like that happens, I always say to myself one of the following:
  1. "I shouldn't be falling for that, he's not that freaking good!"
  2. "That was stupid! I will not stand for this, rematch!"
  3. *facedesks* "How? How in hell do I keep losing to this guy? Why can't I beat him!? Am I really this dumb?"
I can still taste my salt even now while typing this, and it's nasty :glare: For Glory feels really discouraging sometimes

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
In addition to my rage for the constant character switching per match, I also can't stand people who play the same ones everyone else is selecting online. I've fought about two players on the same day that somewhat followed this formula. Captain Falcon, Fox, Luigi. Captain Falcon is so overrated now that his spot took over 50% of the last conquest. That's a lot more than Ness, another incredibly powerful character anyone can consider. Fox is kind of the same way if they feel Falcon is boring to them. And now they're abusing Luigi with the new combo strategy they've discovered? How annoying. Just because one tournament player managed to master Luigi a new way, suddenly all these online players want to pick them so they can go, "Hey man, I know how to use Luigi like that one guy. Aren't I awesome?" Dudes, get creative and try building your own unique strategies that can surely dominate instead of ripping off someone else's. Posers.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
How pretty much every single person I play is a Captain Falcon. Especially those Captain Falcons that never stop running back and forth like they're on a caffeine high even after they KO me. I don't know how anybody can be that ridiculously quick, especially with the lag. I can just imagine their fingers flying every which way. I don't know why, but I really tend to get annoyed by those players. I always taunt when I KO them as a little message to calm the f*** down. Half of them aren't even good, they're just annoyingly energetic, and are a pain to deal with when there's a 1 second input lag.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
In addition to my rage for the constant character switching per match, I also can't stand people who play the same ones everyone else is selecting online. I've fought about two players on the same day that somewhat followed this formula. Captain Falcon, Fox, Luigi. Captain Falcon is so overrated now that his spot took over 50% of the last conquest. That's a lot more than Ness, another incredibly powerful character anyone can consider. Fox is kind of the same way if they feel Falcon is boring to them. And now they're abusing Luigi with the new combo strategy they've discovered? How annoying. Just because one tournament player managed to master Luigi a new way, suddenly all these online players want to pick them so they can go, "Hey man, I know how to use Luigi like that one guy. Aren't I awesome?" Dudes, get creative and try building your own unique strategies that can surely dominate instead of ripping off someone else's. Posers.
I really really hope this is a joke

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
I can never find a good match on for glory anymore, its all people who just roll spam and special spam, :( I think im gonna stop doing for glory and start look for websites where you can set up matches, then I can use Smashville with a platform as well
:drsad:

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
I really really hope this is a joke
And if it isn't? I'm stating what grinds my gears. I'm allowed. If it's about the Luigi subject, believe me, Luigi's use (or more so obvious style) is rising and it can't just be a coincidence. If they picked Luigi first or second, that would be fine, but THEY picked him as the third choice whenever I'm online. I just find it odd that he jumped from low tier to tournament recommendation and now I see more of him. It's good, but being sided with Captain Falcon and Fox, two really common speedy characters I find online is suspicious. I'm glad for him, but I don't want him sided with the wrong crowd of characters people are getting sick of seeing over and over. Otherwise, maybe another patch would come and Falcon and Fox could get the axe and Luigi get cut in the crossfire. I don't want that for him. He's fine the way he is.

Also I don't see a lot of Rosalina or Yoshi anymore and they're still good. What makes Captain Falcon so special compared to them? I just want more variety in the online choices.

Note: Stupid internet. I didn't mean to post twice.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Without a doubt when I meet a Samus/Mega Man/Robin (or any character with projectile based or defensive play) and the player uses projectiles to simply spam rather than approach. My win rate would be at least 10% higher if I didn't meet spammers. A common characteristic of spammers is that they also roll excessively, and that's a HUGE problem. Opponents more often than not just roll 10-15 times in a row and do projectiles in between, and I have no idea how to fight against it. TL;DR: spam and excessive rolling.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
And if it isn't? I'm stating what grinds my gears. I'm allowed. If it's about the Luigi subject, believe me, Luigi's use (or more so obvious style) is rising and it can't just be a coincidence. If they picked Luigi first or second, that would be fine, but THEY picked him as the third choice whenever I'm online. I just find it odd that he jumped from low tier to tournament recommendation and now I see more of him. It's good, but being sided with Captain Falcon and Fox, two really common speedy characters I find online is suspicious. I'm glad for him, but I don't want him sided with the wrong crowd of characters people are getting sick of seeing over and over. Otherwise, maybe another patch would come and Falcon and Fox could get the axe and Luigi get cut in the crossfire. I don't want that for him. He's fine the way he is.

Also I don't see a lot of Rosalina or Yoshi anymore and they're still good. What makes Captain Falcon so special compared to them? I just want more variety in the online choices.

Note: Stupid internet. I didn't mean to post twice.
If you actually get mad at people for daring to use popular characters, or daring to switch characters between games, or daring to use tactics they got from tournaments, then, no offense, you have a problem.

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
Lag kills it for me, I'm never going to play for glory ever again.
My worst match was Robin (Me) vs Luigi, and the lag was nearly unplayable. Plus Luigi was spamming fireballs then fishs for grabs, to downthrow, f-air, f-air.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
If you actually get mad at people for daring to use popular characters, or daring to switch characters between games, or daring to use tactics they got from tournaments, then, no offense, you have a problem.
I must have a problem then if I'm seeing nothing but Captain Falcon like a ton of other people on these threads. Try dealing with three different players using him in a row. Win or lose, it's boring. It gets more annoying when he's the one everyone either switches to or switches after. He's either a main or a sub like Little Mac pre-patch and a lot of us get sick of it. I'll take more Diddy Kong and Sheik for all I care, I just want more variety as in different people with different MAINS.

Lag kills it for me, I'm never going to play for glory ever again.
My worst match was Robin (Me) vs Luigi, and the lag was nearly unplayable. Plus Luigi was spamming fireballs then fishs for grabs, to downthrow, f-air, f-air.
This. Period. Strategy aside, it gets obvious and eventually predictable.

Last edited:

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
I must have a problem then if I'm seeing nothing but Captain Falcon like a ton of other people on these threads. Try dealing with three different players using him in a row. Win or lose, it's boring. It gets more annoying when he's the one everyone either switches to or switches after. He's either a main or a sub like Little Mac pre-patch and a lot of us get sick of it. I'll take more Diddy Kong and Sheik for all I care, I just want more variety as in different people with different MAINS.

Lag is ****, BUUUT, If you're constantly fight C.falcon or Luigi or Diddy It means your learning the match up better between your character and their character, so You have that knowledge to beat them while the run in head first thinking "Im top tier there is NO WAY I CAN LOES HURR HURR" you're can outsmart them, dont ***** about it in forums SMASH THEM!

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Lag is ****, BUUUT, If you're constantly fight C.falcon or Luigi or Diddy It means your learning the match up better between your character and their character, so You have that knowledge to beat them while the run in head first thinking "Im top tier there is NO WAY I CAN LOES HURR HURR" you're can outsmart them, dont ***** about it in forums SMASH THEM!
Yeah. You're right about it all. When it comes to the overall problem. Lag is ****.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Why are there so many Captain Falcons anyway? He's not even top tier. I didn't realize the character was so popular.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Why are there so many Captain Falcons anyway? He's not even top tier. I didn't realize the character was so popular.
It's Captain Falcon and he's good again, of course he's going to get a ton of players at all levels of play even if he's not top five.

-------

The only thing that really annoyed me on For Glory was back on 3DS, as a serious Ganondorf player, was how such a disproportionately high amount of people tried to immediately Ganon ditto me after the first game (about one in every four players), where then almost all of them had no idea what they were doing with Ganon. It's like come on guys, I enjoy the challenge of fighting all the other characters, not stomping yet another terrible Ganon in yet another Ganon ditto (and they always lost that first game with the actual character they play too, so it's not like they had to sandbag to give the Ganon "a chance"). It made Ganon dittos really boring for me unless the other Ganon is actually good. Fortunately since SmashU came out and I moved onto that, this doesn't seem to happen anymore, as in the over 100 unique opponents I fought on its For Glory, only one of them had attempted this thus far (people now just tend to immediately leave after losing against Ganon, haha).

Last edited:

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
It's Captain Falcon and he's good again, of course he's going to get a ton of players at all levels of play even if he's not top five.

-------

The only thing that really annoyed me on For Glory was back on 3DS, as a serious Ganondorf player, was how such a disproportionately high amount of people tried to immediately Ganon ditto me after the first game (about one in every four players), where then almost all of them had no idea what they were doing with Ganon. It's like come on guys, I enjoy the challenge of fighting all the other characters, not stomping yet another terrible Ganon in yet another Ganon ditto (and they always lost that first game with the actual character they play too, so it's not like they had to sandbag to give the Ganon "a chance"). It made Ganon dittos really boring for me unless the other Ganon is actually good. Fortunately since SmashU came out and I moved onto that, this doesn't seem to happen anymore, as in the over 100 unique opponents I fought on its For Glory, only one of them had attempted this thus far (people now just tend to immediately leave after losing against Ganon, haha).
I feel for this on a spiritual level because even though he's my secondary I still play him more than my main on FG because he's so fun.

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
Yeah, if lag wasnt an issue then i would have done alot better. Watev, I'll just add ppl on here instead and grow from there.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
You need to realize just how awful captain falcon was in brawl, to understand why he's now popular in smash4

Going from how good he was in melee and 64, to the massive disappointment of him in brawl(dubbed captain Failcon for a reason) to him being solid again now in smash 4(even if he's not high/top tier, he's so massively improved from brawl its not even funny), of course plenty of us will use him, same thing with Ness.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
You need to realize just how awful captain falcon was in brawl, to understand why he's now popular in smash4

Going from how good he was in melee and 64, to the massive disappointment of him in brawl(dubbed captain Failcon for a reason) to him being solid again now in smash 4(even if he's not high/top tier, he's so massively improved from brawl its not even funny), of course plenty of us will use him, same thing with Ness.
Shiek was great in Melee, sucked in Brawl, and now is great again in 4, just like Captain Falcon, but not every other person I play uses her. In fact i've seen a suprisingly low amount of people use her.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
If you don't understand why Captain Falcon is popular on FG, you don't understand the Smash community.

Also, nothing bothers me more in FG than beating a subpar player a ton, and then they win once and then leave--or playing someone who actually might be good or might just be gimmicky, but they leave after one match of kicking my ass. Also, because I play so many characters, if I lose to someone with 2-3 characters and they leave, I feel cheated for not getting a chance to use all my tools and learn something perhaps.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon is just amazingly fun to play.

I somehow feel that sheik suffers really hard from input lag (my connection is not bad at all, but against american or japanese players there often is a slight input lag). I played one last weekend and even though his sheik was decent, he could beat me like one or two times in 15 games. I lost against much worse players and felt a bit bad for winning so easily.

Last edited:

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
If you don't understand why Captain Falcon is popular on FG, you don't understand the Smash community.
Not sure what to make of that statement.

Also, nothing bothers me more in FG than beating a subpar player a ton, and then they win once and then leave
If i'm getting beaten by player, I usually stay until I win a match and then leave. I don't want to play the same opponent forever, and if I finally won, it's kind of like, finally I beat them, so now I can move on. I'm not going to stay and get beaten up more when they are clearly better than me, unless i'm really in the mood to try and improve (which For Glory isn't the best for doing anyway, because of the lag). Most of the time however, I just like playing people around the same skill level as me.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I feel like I am some kind of AI or boss enemy in my opponents eyes. When they beat me with a certain character, they immediately switch or leave, like "I have won and now I am better than him". It feels like they think that I am static; that only they can adapt and learn from me and me not from them.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Players that spam projectiles and roll away. It's worse when they actually win, making me feel like crap. R.O.B. is my least favorite character to go against. Can't punish those moves of his with the little end lag and he always out prioritizes me. And the projectile game with him... :confused:

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
I've yet to play another falcon main without crippling lag.
:[
People often falcon ditto me if they lose, but fighting a falcon (even a scrubby one) is still more fun than fighting the majority of the cast.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
If it isn't the peeps trying to lame me out with projectiles or stall till sudden death,its the overuse of rolling.

also kinda got tired fighting nothing but zss and falcons.

Actilide

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Actilide
3DS FC
5300-9499-3228
I hate seeing ****ING WARIO I MEAN I CAN BEAT HIM BUT IF HE EVEN GETS ONE KILL ITS ****ING TAUNT AND THOSE TAUNTS MAKE ME CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP EVERY NIGHT

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been addressed:

I get really tired of being "counterpicked". I main Duck Hunt and I enjoy approaching, spamming and over-defensive play gets really old to me. Now if I beat someone who has an inferior projectile game and I win, I tend to get "counterpicked". Counterpicked is in quotes because they tend to pick a character with better projectiles than Duck Hunt - but they aren't at all good with the character they choose. So instead of playing a main and making it an interesting game, they make it a frustrating and slow-paced win for me, since it rarely works.

After winning once with DH I see a lot of Falco, Link/Toon Link, occasionally Pit, and a LOT of projectile camping and nooby play in general. These switches just kind of kill the fun.

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
1. Lag
2. Terrible players TAUNTING when their lag kills you on accident
3. Copy-cats who think they're better than you
4. LAG
5. Being spiked. I think there's a double stand here, though--I like spiking people, but it really ticks me off when someone double/triple spikes me. *cough*yoshi*cough*
6. Yoshi
7. Sonic

I have a lot of issues.

Mega Rayquaza

Smash Rookie
I can never find a good match on for glory anymore, its all people who just roll spam and special spam, :( I think im gonna stop doing for glory and start look for websites where you can set up matches, then I can use Smashville with a platform as well
:drsad:
You could always try Anther's Ladder/Smashladder (same thing). Good place to improve.

Tbh I find For Glory in general really discouraging/aggravating which is why I pretty much stopped going on it. Laggy matches are the worst because it can throw your game off completely and Omega stages only encourages a lot of bad habits. The rare instance you actually find a good player with no lag is pretty great at least.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
You know the one thing that really makes me mad even more than everything mentioned here (and all of those make me mad)?
Actually meeting someone good and losing to them a lot. I know once they leave, I will never meet them again, nor will I now how to beat them. Double points if the guys just after the good player is a scrubby Link

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been addressed:

I get really tired of being "counterpicked". I main Duck Hunt and I enjoy approaching, spamming and over-defensive play gets really old to me. Now if I beat someone who has an inferior projectile game and I win, I tend to get "counterpicked". Counterpicked is in quotes because they tend to pick a character with better projectiles than Duck Hunt - but they aren't at all good with the character they choose. So instead of playing a main and making it an interesting game, they make it a frustrating and slow-paced win for me, since it rarely works.

After winning once with DH I see a lot of Falco, Link/Toon Link, occasionally Pit, and a LOT of projectile camping and nooby play in general. These switches just kind of kill the fun.
If you think you're going to get counterpicked, pick a different character. (If you have any secondaries., that is.) Or find an opponent who respects you more.

Edit: Not trying to come across as belligerent in any way, just giving suggestions.

Last edited:

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
Mirrors. They're not fun at all. I did a mirror of villager vs villager and I almost just SD'd

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
The one and dones, especially if we had a close match when they won. If I find someone randomly that offers a good, respectable challenge to my level of skill I'm sticking around. I just don't get the dropping.

May or may have something to do with me playing DHD or Olimar, or I'm more likely just paranoid.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
The one and dones, especially if we had a close match when they won. If I find someone randomly that offers a good, respectable challenge to my level of skill I'm sticking around. I just don't get the dropping.

May or may have something to do with me playing DHD or Olimar, or I'm more likely just paranoid.
Nah I personally leave after I've done something totally embarrassing. I was 100-0'd by a donkey kong because I was just too stubborn and kept getting juggled by his up tilt which I had no idea he could even combo and it super irritated me!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
People on that AOL Dial-Up service.

And people who are using Wii U's terrible WiFi card to play online.

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
People that play with a character then after losing immediately switch to diddy kong or rosalina, then leaving soon after they lost a second time.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
So much Falcon hate! Sorry, guys, been playing him for 15 years. Not stopping now. Especially since there hasn't been a new F-Zero in nearly 11 years.

I also almost never see other Falcons. Interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom