• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Cocoa Brova

Smash Cadet
NNID
eydoc14
3DS FC
4012-5269-2281
Thankfully I saw this, I was about to make my own post/rant about this. To me the worst thing about For Glory is just how people either spend too much time trying to be pro status, or they're trying to troll that they make the game infuriating. I used to be able to play for a while, but now I can barely stand playing through an hour before I just can't take playing only...
1. Link aka back roll, boomerang, arrow
2. Back Roll Dash Mac
3. Mario/Falcon/Bowser I'm gonna just destroy my C-stick and pray to Yahweh
I get the whole using tools to win thing, and I get sometimes you wanna style on people, but there's over 40 people to choose from, I feel like most just use what they hear is top tier that week and once they meet somebody good they freak out and get salty. If you lose (and my record is like around 70% so I'm not gonna pretend I'm awesome) just deal with it and leave, not wait till you can run away and waste 5 minutes get a lag luck kill then do 20 taunts and crouches (is this Halo bruh?). It can't be fun for them either. (I just got off FG when I wrote this so sorry it's a rant).

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Ok as of late I've been fighting Ness's who just spam PK Thunder. I've been using characters like Mario who can counter that kind of attack but it's kinda hard to do that with two other players you got to worry about too. As a Ness main it annoys me like crazy.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
One thing I dislike is when someone constantly changes characters, and doesn't give you a chance to better learn the matchup. Fought a guy today who kept switching between 3-4 different characters every game, while I stayed the same and so I wasn't able to have fun with many of the matches, and the guy was way better than me as well so it was even more frustrating when they kept switching so I couldn't really come up with a way to beat that character for the future. I understand it for counter-picking reasons of course, but changing character no matter what every time is something that gets on my nerves a little bit. Again, the guy I played today who did this was pretty good and had a great connection, had they not swapped between a large pool of characters constantly I think I may have learned something.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Duck Hunt.
I love the character, but a "good" Duck Hunt player just trolls you with all of their ranged attacks, especially their Side B, Side Smash, and dash attack.
:4duckhunt:

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
One thing I dislike is when someone constantly changes characters, and doesn't give you a chance to better learn the matchup. Fought a guy today who kept switching between 3-4 different characters every game, while I stayed the same and so I wasn't able to have fun with many of the matches, and the guy was way better than me as well so it was even more frustrating when they kept switching so I couldn't really come up with a way to beat that character for the future. I understand it for counter-picking reasons of course, but changing character no matter what every time is something that gets on my nerves a little bit. Again, the guy I played today who did this was pretty good and had a great connection, had they not swapped between a large pool of characters constantly I think I may have learned something.
I did that to somebody playing :4jigglypuff: today. I feel bad now.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Duck Hunt.
I love the character, but a "good" Duck Hunt player just trolls you with all of their ranged attacks, especially their Side B, Side Smash, and dash attack.
:4duckhunt:
I like trolling with bairs, uairs and SH Dairs too. And cans. And gunmen. Then more Airs.

Fighting game trolling is fun.

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
I like trolling with bairs, uairs and SH Dairs too. And cans. And gunmen. Then more Airs.

Fighting game trolling is fun.
Trolling is bad and you should feel bad. No joke intended. I only troll if someone is doing it to me, and then I beat them and leave the match.

Last edited:

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
Honestly if you're falling for DH's traps all the time you should rethink your approach. He has very few tools to deal with characters that are constantly in his face, and alot of character's dash attacks break the frisbee on contact.

Run up to him and shield and see what he does. He'll either pop a can which will blast him in the process, toss a frisbee which you just have to shield, throw up a gunman which has a decent amount of lag save for the one in the orange coat, use a side smash if leaves him very vulnerable afterwards, or grab you out of your shield. Apply pressure 24/7 and you'll be fine

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Dog wants space so he can get in your grill on his terms. I know I come in hard once I lock your pattern down. You don't give me time I have to improvise. And I hate improvising. So yeah, pressure.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
For Glory itself grinds my gears.

I'm just not the guy who likes playing online against some random invisible stranger you can't see or hear. Sometimes you just want to see the look on the other player's face or comment on a funny/epic kill. It doesn't feel like a social thing to me, while playing free for all with friends is my favorite way of playing smash. Playing for glory feels like playing a perfectly human-like bot to me.

Browningtons

Smash Rookie
NNID
browningtons

I'm just not the guy who likes playing online against some random invisible stranger you can't see or hear. Sometimes you just want to see the look on the other player's face or comment on a funny/epic kill. It doesn't feel like a social thing to me, while playing free for all with friends is my favorite way of playing smash. Playing for glory feels like playing a perfectly human-like bot to me.
You must not play any other online video games.

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812

But if you tick the other person off, you never have to speak to them again.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
fight someone ONCE, win or lose, and then they leave immediately...

t
It bothers me more when they win once and just flat out leave. Losing once and leaving is understandable if you completely wipe the floor with them. It's super annoying when the match is close, they mash taunts at the end of the match, and then disconnect.

Something that has bothered me as of late has been the number of people who flat out don't take you seriously if you pick a certain character. I've noticed a lot of players are really rude to people who are actually competent with Little Mac and Ike.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I find that the disrespect shown to Ike ends really fast when I take their first stock within a few seconds. I can almost see the ! above their head when they respawn, which puts me in a good mood.

The only thing that really gets me upset during For Glory is when my opponent fails to adapt at all when I fight them. I've had a few fights where my opponent always did the same combo, which after having it work 2-3 times it never hit again because I new what to look for but they NEVER ADAPT! The match will end with a landslide, and they'll switch to another character and do the same thing there.

Buddy, it didn't work last time. It's not going to work this time....

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
It bothers me more when they win once and just flat out leave. Losing once and leaving is understandable if you completely wipe the floor with them. It's super annoying when the match is close, they mash taunts at the end of the match, and then disconnect.

Something that has bothered me as of late has been the number of people who flat out don't take you seriously if you pick a certain character. I've noticed a lot of players are really rude to people who are actually competent with Little Mac and Ike.
given that I myself main Little Mac alongside Robin, Dark Pit, and Shulk, could you elaborate that last part?

I know I've had moments where someone uses a projectile abuser and I beat them anyways thanks to powershielding... but what do you mean by "rude"?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
given that I myself main Little Mac alongside Robin, Dark Pit, and Shulk, could you elaborate that last part?

I know I've had moments where someone uses a projectile abuser and I beat them anyways thanks to powershielding... but what do you mean by "rude"?
As in, standing by the edge and acting like they'll easily win with a single throw off stage.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As in, standing by the edge and acting like they'll easily win with a single throw off stage.
I really hate this too. Most of the time, I give them a piece of their own medicine by running and grabbing them first... But if they learn to dodge the grab, I have absolutely no way to deal with that. I'll have to practice shielding at just the right time for them to miss the grab so I let them eat an Ftilt.

I think that's about it.

I also hated this extremely campy Pit who spammed arrows (lol) and rolled away. That match dragged until the countdown started, when I made a good read and landed a Peach fair to end the match at "1".

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I have to admit, I do this against Little Mac because I main Mega Man, and fighting him any other way is just insane when I can sit back and force an approach that puts him somewhere he doesn't want to be. That's why I don't like fighting Little Mac. It's like I'm playing a different, much more boring game.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
You must not play any other online video games.
I used to play some, but stopped for the reasons I mentioned. I still do like playing against some people from this forum, or against friends. That's just how I think about games.

But if you tick the other person off, you never have to speak to them again.
What do you mean by speaking to people on for glory?

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
If you make a smash player angry in offline play, you should either apologize to them or let them work through their anger, even if you're not the best of friends. If you anger someone on FG, then you/they can leave the room and never have to see you/them again. While I really dislike people who do that, some people might call it an advantage.

And yes, For Glory can be frustrating. But it's usually better than item-spamming For Fun.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I really hate this too. Most of the time, I give them a piece of their own medicine by running and grabbing them first... But if they learn to dodge the grab, I have absolutely no way to deal with that. I'll have to practice shielding at just the right time for them to miss the grab so I let them eat an Ftilt.

I think that's about it.

I also hated this extremely campy Pit who spammed arrows (lol) and rolled away. That match dragged until the countdown started, when I made a good read and landed a Peach fair to end the match at "1".
in my short time playing as FG Mac, I learned that walking just at the edge of your d-tilt range and d-tilting really messes with those guys

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
New thing. I beat a guy with a decent Zero Suit with my Oli. He switches to normal Samus and does the classic toll spam FG thing. I almost seal the deal on that but suffer a couple lapses in concentration and he catches me. He goodgames me on the win and leaves

It just bums me out because his ZSS made no indication I would be dealing with a roller.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
people have mentioned this...but people camping the edge really annoys me. how is that fun for either person? also i like to play little mac and since i'm not very good i can tell people troll me all day with stuff like that :p

also i tend to have a lot of input lag on like...every match. so it makes me mad when i lose because i didn't hit a button in advance to make the move go at the right time

Last edited:

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Something that bugs the hell out of me, not being able to see how strong my connection is or my opponents'.
Cant tell if my wifi is bad or theirs

(If it was my faulty wifi that caused the lag and I lose, I'd still blame them :smirk: )

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Two things: Projectile spammers + roll spam + heavy lag and DeDeDe + existing

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Lately I've been practicing getting the hang of playing as Pikachu, and since I'm not used to his recovery yet, I mess it up ALOT and end up killing myself. My opponent always taunts as if they accomplished something, it also doesn't help that they all connect through ****ing potatoes.

Also people that leave after one victory piss me off for some reason.

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
when people with really laggy internet do nothing but run away from you without trying to kill you and try to win at sudden death. this is probably the dumbest thing.

i had somebody playing jiggly puff and it was super laggy. guy just ran away and mixed up his dodges and attempts to run away and there was very little i could do as half the time my inputs wouldn't even be read. then he got on the ledge and as soon as the first bomb started dropping he floated far away from the ledge until there wasn't bombs dropping near him then he'd latch on and reset his jumps.

eventually i got tagged by a bomb from lag but these kind of people are the most frustrating to play against.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
When you beat someone once or a few times and they switch characters and beat you in the very next game, and when they figure you're catching onto their **** they quit, on rare occasions with a parting shot.

9 times out of 10, the person that does this is a Sonic or Mario main, though the latter never gets a win unless I screw up with my own Mario.

I also really hate when lag screws up your inputs and gets really bad, and you're fighting a ****ing Ike or Samus. Ike and Samus are 1000x more difficult to fight in intense lag because you can't punish anything they do, all Ike needs to do is throw out jab and he's good, and Samus of course can just stay on one side and spam missiles and Charge Shots. I can handle Ikes with R.O.B., but I can't do **** if I'm Doc or Mario lol.

Getting timed out by Duck Hunt or Mega Man is also really annoying.

Those people who only stop fighting after 2 losses or 2 wins are annoying, especially if you're trying to learn a certain matchup.

I also don't like when you're doing a ditto or a special matchup (Mario vs. Pac-Man, etc.) and you taunt, and your opponent still attacks you. It's especially disrespectful in a ditto.

In contrast, I never have these problems when I fight Ganons, Falcons, or Donkey Kongs. I always have excellent matches with those three characters.

Last edited:

Kroboats

Smash Cadet
When someone with a 10fps connection beats you, starts calling you names/saying you suck, then leaves.

I had an especially frustrating variation of this when I was playing teams online with friend of mine. The two people we were facing picked the same characters as us, won, then proceeded to insult us and left.

Last edited:

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Sonic.

Also losing to idiots- Bowser Jnrs who just spam the cart, for instance. Or people who are clearly arrogant little toads.

Just losing, really.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
When you beat someone once or a few times and they switch characters and beat you in the very next game, and when they figure you're catching onto their **** they quit, on rare occasions with a parting shot.

9 times out of 10, the person that does this is a Sonic or Mario main, though the latter never gets a win unless I screw up with my own Mario.

I also really hate when lag screws up your inputs and gets really bad, and you're fighting a ****ing Ike or Samus. Ike and Samus are 1000x more difficult to fight in intense lag because you can't punish anything they do, all Ike needs to do is throw out jab and he's good, and Samus of course can just stay on one side and spam missiles and Charge Shots. I can handle Ikes with R.O.B., but I can't do **** if I'm Doc or Mario lol.

Getting timed out by Duck Hunt or Mega Man is also really annoying.

Those people who only stop fighting after 2 losses or 2 wins are annoying, especially if you're trying to learn a certain matchup.

I also don't like when you're doing a ditto or a special matchup (Mario vs. Pac-Man, etc.) and you taunt, and your opponent still attacks you. It's especially disrespectful in a ditto.

In contrast, I never have these problems when I fight Ganons, Falcons, or Donkey Kongs. I always have excellent matches with those three characters.
Probably the first time I've heard someone say fighting Ike with lag is hard. Since Ike needs good spacing and has to have a good read on his opponent, lag usually kills him.

Over the last several weeks, my matches have been pretty laggy which has made it so I can't really do anything. I feel your pain on the lag. Every time I get multiple matches with lag in a row, I usually check my router and stuff again fearing that something happened to my internet to cause the spikes.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Really hate it when I fight someone whose really skilled and lose a couple of times only to receive the message "You Suck" in the style of a joke and then leave after posting. Way to lose my respect, whoever does it to be funny. But that's about as funny as making an outdated prank phone call. Makes me wonder how these jerks can be so skilled yet so immature.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
When you win against someone and then they switch to your main because they think that that can make them win... I actually tricked someone into switching like that into a character I don't use so I could counter them :troll:

Alias

Smash Apprentice
I want to play in Hyrule and Palutena's Temples. there no reason why they're banned on For Glory.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
I want to play in Hyrule and Palutena's Temples. there no reason why they're banned on For Glory.
um strange layouts
and for palutena's temple it has obstacles
although I don't get why not battlefield and kongo jungle :confused:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
For Glory is supposed to simulate the effect of a boxing ring or octagon (no distractions, just you and your opponent much like most fighting games do), so Hyrule and Palutena's Temple get cut because they don't fit that design due to size and what Ultresmasher5 mentioned.

Top Bottom