• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
side b instead of up b, followed by the opponent taunting.

i need a wiiu.

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
Lag is a thing I don't normally get which is strange because Im from Australia, but Links OOOOOH BOY LINKS WHO SPAM ROLL AND SIDE B THEN B SIDE B THEN B THEN ROLL AWAY WHEN YOU GET CLOSE GETS ME SO SALTY ESPECIALLY SINCE IM A GANON MAIN, I CAN HANDLE BEING UPTILT STRINGED BUT PROJECTILE SPAM ****S ME UP, Thank god im a Fox Secondary who has a good rushdown game

Djsoundwaves108

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DeathJams108
3DS FC
0645-6246-3667
Projectile spammers, people who sd right after losing a stock when im beating them, the people who leave after winning one match just assuming im not worth a fight, lag, rolling spammers, and the main one taunting after i lost my 1st stock i know its kind of weird but i believe you should save the taunting once you know you actually won the match cause one i coome back some taunt will just leave them wide open

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
When I have to play someone who is just rolling for days occasionaly attacking. they arent winning by any means, the match just takes at least 4 minutes and 10 seconds.

Then they change their name tag to something like UsoSrsBro

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
Taunting when I kill myself, or when people taunt for hitting a normal ol' smash attack, or after beating me one time with their character they switch to the character I am playing as. That's what grinds my gears

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
not really a pet peeve, but i just have to wonder about those people who start doing shorthop nairs / fairs / bairs etc after they get a stock off of me and are waiting for me to respawn.

100% of the time these people don't use that stuff in the actual fight. like, dude, calm down.

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
not really a pet peeve, but i just have to wonder about those people who start doing shorthop nairs / fairs / bairs etc after they get a stock off of me and are waiting for me to respawn.

100% of the time these people don't use that stuff in the actual fight. like, dude, calm down.
I do that, Its really just practice for me most of the time, and I actually use sh fair/nair depending in which character im playing

HoneyWooya

Smash Rookie
Accidentally air-dodging when I want to tech and getting punished hard for it.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
I can't stand people who try to show off with more than 3 characters, especially when they switch them after constantly beating me. I don't give a damn how skilled they are at every character. To me, it's bad sportsmanship because some of us are trying to learn how to face the last character we lost to. It just feels like an insult when one player changes from Ganondorf to Bowser to Donkey Kong to prove they're better heavyweights than my Charizard and then tries Greninja to change the playstyle all to prove how much I suck. I can't give respect to those who show off and don't contribute to helping their opponent learn to deal with the previous character. This isn't the tournaments. There's no need to prove your win ratio. Learn to lay off your ego and be courteous by sticking with at least 2 characters so we can bring you better challenges in the future.

TheVillainous

Banned via Warnings
I don't really have a problem with projectile spamming if they're trying to bait you into their trap, but if they're doing nothing, but projectiles then that's a problem. What grinds my gears are people who choose Kirby just to suck you and then jumps off the edge just to try and get a cheap kill off of you. And I've been in matches where there's 3 people just using that stupid trick and working together as if it was a 3 vs 1 team match. These people really have no skill and are doing this purely out of cheap kills.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
I can't stand people who try to show off with more than 3 characters, especially when they switch them after constantly beating me. I don't give a damn how skilled they are at every character. To me, it's bad sportsmanship because some of us are trying to learn how to face the last character we lost to. It just feels like an insult when one player changes from Ganondorf to Bowser to Donkey Kong to prove they're better heavyweights than my Charizard and then tries Greninja to change the playstyle all to prove how much I suck. I can't give respect to those who show off and don't contribute to helping their opponent learn to deal with the previous character. This isn't the tournaments. There's no need to prove your win ratio. Learn to lay off your ego and be courteous by sticking with at least 2 characters so we can bring you better challenges in the future.
there isn't really any obligation on the other player's part to be some kind of coach? if you want someone to help you learn a matchup, i find that smashboards.com is a pretty good resource for finding training partners and MU info.

also: does anyone else keep getting disconnected out of nowhere? i have a smooth connection, but every now and then i get "a communication error has occured" messages in the middle of what was otherwise a perfectly lagless match. sometimes these happen persistently, and there'll be a good 10 minute period where I can't get through a single match.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
there isn't really any obligation on the other player's part to be some kind of coach? if you want someone to help you learn a matchup, i find that smashboards.com is a pretty good resource for finding training partners and MU info.
Regardless of coaching, I still find it jerkish of people who switch to a new character every single match for over 3 matches. I've been encountering a lot of them lately. When they do this, they're sort of sending a message saying, "Hey scrub, I can beat you no matter who I use, so get good." Some of us can barely master 2 characters since each one has a different play style altogether, and half a second input lag on my side doesn't help me improve at all. I only switch to another character after two or three games. I'd rather they do the same to show a little respect. Because even if I can't beat the same character for 2 matches, I'm sure I can get them thinking, "Hey, at least he's trying. I'm gonna step it up next match though to keep it from getting stale." And then they can switch to a new character, which I can respect. The constant switching every match to show off just grinds my gears.

warkyizfire

Smash Rookie
Lag, that's it. Even a little lag aggravates me. I use a LAN adapter and wish everyone else would too.

Legaci

Smash Cadet
Rosalina players.
Horrible teammates on team battle.
Good king DDD players in team battle.
Laggy players who should fix their connection asap.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
People who get salty when their opponent taunts them: so what if I'm really feeling it? You just died at 60% from my f-smash. Taunts exist so that people don't taunt you IRL - like TF2.
Latency, goddamnit. As a :4shulk: main, having an input eaten means that the Monado goes on the fritz like someone just turned on an Apocrophea machine, and my stats get all out of whack. Meanwhile Link and Mega Man get to roflspam and punish my successful tech (read: landed on my backside and then rolled for some reason, or airdodged and landed badly if I try to compensate for a latency that the game doesn't tell me the exact number for) with something silly. Because latency doesn't hurt them nearly as much
Time matches. Why are they even IN the game? There's no point in them competitively, and in casual free-for-alls they reward characters with powerful kill moves over the game's strongest player. Coin is fun when I'm not in the mood to focus, but Time? Just stop shilling it, Nintendo please. Matchmaking could just have automatic Share Stocks in teams and harsh bans for griefers. There. Done.
People who think that using an Ethernet cable will somehow kill latency. Sure, wi-fi isn't the most consistent thing at times, but keep in mind that the lagless Gamepad uses it.
Final Destination. While not a bad pick of itself, using it as the only stage massively advantages projectile zoners and :4littlemac:/:4wiremac: compared to normal.

Being caught in true combos: My only genuine salty weakness that's a problem with me. A great addition to the fighting game genre despite being right out of Bad Game Design 101 (Don't leave a player completely devioid of agency, even on the defensive) - this doesn't apply to a bad techchase (unless latency) or DI (same) - those are me messing up my defensive effort, not taking extra damage for free. Well, free minus techskill. And I'm not tournament-level, so that's actually kind of an important decider rather than "that thing that everyone has".

warkyizfire

Smash Rookie
People who think that using an Ethernet cable will somehow kill latency. Sure, wi-fi isn't the most consistent thing at times, but keep in mind that the lagless Gamepad uses it.
Wi-Fi is a polite protocol, devices can only access the resources one at a time; think of it like a roller coaster line and you keep riding it over and over again. Being as the gamepad is the only thing connected the Wii U's direct Wi-Fi is why it's so lag free and is probably the reason you can't buy solo gamepads from Nintendo, they only want one connection to the direct Wi-Fi at a time.

So with that said, if there is even one device on the the router Wi-Fi besides the Wii U, then chances are you will cause, at least, some lag because of it. You are placed in line, time and time again. With a direct ethernet connection, there is no line and your packets flow at a constant pace.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
those captain falcon players.

you know the ones.

Tra-SB

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicxpika
3DS FC
2063-0487-8921
Laaaaggggg. Whether its fps lag or control lag. It messes up so much.

Also that guy who bought all those amiibos just so he can sell for a higher price so no one can be happy.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
When someone wins a match with one character, immediately switches off of that character, and then proceeds to lose all the rest of the matches with their second character.

It's like, "Give me a rematch with the first character!" Drives me crazy. I'm whooping the secondary and giving this person endless rematches. Give me one rematch.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Regardless of coaching, I still find it jerkish of people who switch to a new character every single match for over 3 matches. I've been encountering a lot of them lately. When they do this, they're sort of sending a message saying, "Hey scrub, I can beat you no matter who I use, so get good." Some of us can barely master 2 characters since each one has a different play style altogether, and half a second input lag on my side doesn't help me improve at all. I only switch to another character after two or three games. I'd rather they do the same to show a little respect. Because even if I can't beat the same character for 2 matches, I'm sure I can get them thinking, "Hey, at least he's trying. I'm gonna step it up next match though to keep it from getting stale." And then they can switch to a new character, which I can respect. The constant switching every match to show off just grinds my gears.
Yeah, no... That's one mentality I doubt is common. I for one and definitely one of those players who switch characters constantly. Sometimes I'll stick to my main and secondaries, but I genuinely like using lots of characters. Like 90% of the cast. I even have separate names for all of 'em. Sometimes I'll use each one twice instead of once.

But otherwise I'm not obligated to stick to a character. Nobody is. That's one thing I can't expect people to do. I can expect them to stay around for at least more than one match (No, 60% of the population isn't just trying to get a quick match in every single time I play), but I can't expect them to play a very specific way.

Last edited:

SilkaN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilkaN
This hasn't really happened to me yet, but a lot of people get angry when receiving a big fat Rest in their face on their last stock.
90% of the players I hit with it left afterwards. I don't get it, do they think it's disrespectful just because I hit them with something that is easy to punish in case it fails?
I mean, when I fail and someone taunts me before smashing me out of the game, I don't get frustrated. It just means that my read wasn't good enough.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Dear spammers, you grind my gears. You think with your links and samus projectile ability is the way to win, but it's not. Just go ahead and speak with Mario/Dr. Mario's cape.

Sincerely, Characters that can reflect :4drmario::4mario::4falco::4fox: :4palutena:ect...

:awesome:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
When people DONT pick Booty Shorts ZSS or DONT pick Summer Time trunks Shulk.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

Make that 99% cuz as a Villager my entire close range consists of n-airs.

rncb

Smash Rookie
NNID
realncb
LAAAAAAAAAAG. I am new to smash and don't have many people on my friends list or that I know in my area. So I spend 2 hours a day in training mode practicing my short hopping aerials and dash grabs. Then killing level 9 cpus for 2 more hours. After I am feeling pretty sure of myself I will log online and go to For Glory to use what I've practiced. Load in and what do you know?! There is a 1-2 second delay and I can't adjust... I've only ever played a handful of people that didn't have lag and really enjoyed the game and saw real improvement. I guess I should just stick to finding people with better connections and meet people in my local scene to get better. Or suck it up and learn to play with the lag.

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Yeah, no... That's one mentality I doubt is common. I for one and definitely one of those players who switch characters constantly. Sometimes I'll stick to my main and secondaries, but I genuinely like using lots of characters. Like 90% of the cast. I even have separate names for all of 'em. Sometimes I'll use each one twice instead of once.

But otherwise I'm not obligated to stick to a character. Nobody is. That's one thing I can't expect people to do. I can expect them to stay around for at least more than one match (No, 60% of the population isn't just trying to get a quick match in every single time I play), but I can't expect them to play a very specific way.
You like using any character? More power to you, but I'm not gonna respect that if the opponent keeps switching while winning and I stick with my one or two characters throughout the rematches. By then it should be obvious that I'm not intending to fool around and if you want to fiddle around with multiple characters, then go fight multiple players instead of the same one. Despite losing my edge with my main, I intend to provide my opponents a challenge for their mains/subs, not become a punching bag for their wasted amusement if they're goofing off with whoever they feel like trolling with.

And believe me. The mentality does seem common from my experience. I've fought my share of punks who choose a new character every match and some are even immature enough to crouch dance each time they send me to the blast zone. One guy clearly was overdoing that and I could only beat his ROB, which he did not seem entirely experienced with. Despite this being For Glory, playing over 6 characters doesn't always make one a professional. It only makes the challenger look dumber, which is kind of a mockery. I'd rather fight people who MASTER specific characters to learn how to deal with them and in turn have them learn how to deal with mine.

Last edited:

Sc0pe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1935-4914
I hate those people who you can tell they are just running on auto pilot using moves and patterns that they have come to find out that they work. You can tell that this is all they do because it's been working and nothing else. Damn satisfying when i pick it apart tho but if they leave before i get a chance to that ticks me off. Them and the people who zone like there is no tomorrow but i guess you can place them on the same boat since it's a rinse and repeat pattern.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Spammers and people who taunt after I self destruct.

Sc0pe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1935-4914

I get what your saying but I dont think I can really fault them for that. This is coming form someone who has only played glory with three characters over 2000 times and have yet to even use 90 % of the other characters yet. (You should see my character usage for most of them. Being used seven times can out them among my top ten most used characters.) But that is a choice i made and them switching from character to character is a choice they made. There has been meany a time where i lose to a characters and a pray the brig them back in only to have them use another, Maybe sometimes they are doing to to prove some point but by that point I will just have to deal with it.

Most times I wind up kicking there switched character and they run back to they one they won with anyways and the times they still beat me it's because they are just better than me and I feel i am learning something overall. Again i can see your point but if the guy is better than you a lesson is learned weather they be cocky or not. Besides it true it's not a tourney but on glory you are recorded for wins and losses so weather they feel like they want to be humble with there recorder or not is up to them.

SmashLoser

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZombieLuigi
Players who spam Skeik's needles, Zelda players, Samus players, and my 56 to 300 ratio. I'd almost destroyed my gamepad for trying to hard and it has made me quit smash bros on the Wii U until i get my stuff together.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
Besides lag, I get pretty mad at myself for losing to Samus players that spam projectiles the whole time.

I also find it annoying when I can tell my opponent is toying with me. It makes me feel empty regardless of whether I win or lose knowing that they weren't giving it their all.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My only real gripe is playing with those who have crap for internet, forcing me to have to play as if I was playing Brawl online. Even worse is if said person uses Little Mac with said crappy connection, since he's to lag in Smash 4 what Ike was in Brawl.

Other than that, I have no real complaints when playing against someone with a decent connection online, though I wish button inputs were a tad more responsive.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The Japanese players leaving as soon as they join is why I sought out this thread. It's infuriating, but I'm glad it's not just happening to me. I did manage to fight some of them a half hour back though.

Another thing I don't like is people getting genuinely angry when they lose. Some Russian player called me a c**a because he lost constantly, so after that I made sure he didn't win the next few matches then he ragequit. Then a couple weeks back some punk called me the n-word, said F U and told ME to get a life. The guy who's raving like a lunatic about a VIDEO GAME tells me to get a life...because he lost 2 matches against Luigi. Pure irony; had to report that guy, shortly after putting "Umad?" of course. When I lose I'm always respectful about it in 1v1 fights. Smash is literally just a game no matter how intense.

I gotta admit I do this, but not for the reasons you listed. I'm not playing to teach my opponent--I'm sparring for my benefit. If I can easily beat someone with my Diddy repeatedly, I'm gonna switch to the 9 other characters I need practice with so the match is less one-sided. I'd rather risk losing with my near dozen backup fighters than maul my foes with no effort. I want to be challenged, and switching characters keeps the game from getting boring, especially if you're winning constantly.

Top Bottom