• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Lol just had a match with an Olimar that did nothing but run away and spam pikmin throws. I got the first kill with Ryu and decided to give him a taste of his own medicine and run away and time him out for 5 minutes. He literally just kept his distance and threw pikmin the entire game until the last 30 seconds, when he realizes he needs to get close and get a kill if he needs to win. I just had a big ass smirk when he lost while he was desperately trying to chase me.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Lol just had a match with an Olimar that did nothing but run away and spam pikmin throws. I got the first kill with Ryu and decided to give him a taste of his own medicine and run away and time him out for 5 minutes. He literally just kept his distance and threw pikmin the entire game until the last 30 seconds, when he realizes he needs to get close and get a kill if he needs to win. I just had a big *** smirk when he lost while he was desperately trying to chase me.
Well, sometimes people just need a taste of their own medicine. I agree, it's quite funny to see them get so frustrated when you use the same tactics they have been using against you. I dislike doing it a lot of the time, but hey... If it's going to be that kind of party why not have a little fun myself? Bonus points if they call you "Cheap" or tell you to "Git Gud" when you beat them with their own tactics.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hate when I constantly 2 stock people on FG and do nothing about it, then those same people get 1 kill and decide to mash their taunt button to death. If they manage to beat me once, they usually spend about 20 seconds on the results screen before leaving.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I hate when I constantly 2 stock people on FG and do nothing about it, then those same people get 1 kill and decide to mash their taunt button to death. If they manage to beat me once, they usually spend about 20 seconds on the results screen before leaving.
I never understood why people do this.

If you're losing a lot of matches, use the losses to evaluate what you're doing wrong, not to fuel a hot-headed anger towards the opponent so you can be a total **** to them when you finally get a stock or a match. Even worse when they do get the win, save the replay, and do something grimy with it.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Somebody who taunts always comes off to me as a cocky player. But If I ever see somebody taunting repeatedly after a kill, I see it as a really salty player and i just laugh at them. It actually brings me enjoyment.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Nothing fills me with rage like facing Wario. He literally has an answer to whatever you do. Jump in the air, you get Chomped, and on the ground, it's either that damn bike of his or something else. It's like you have to run from him the whole match and wait for screw ups to to get some damage on the guy, and it's certainly not fun going against him.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
It's kinda hard when you secondary Link. Everyone automatically assumes you will spam. I was going on FG for a little bit of practice with Link a couple days ago, found a Lucario, and he instantly SD's both stocks both games and leaves after that. The first thing I even did was run up and try to attack, its not like I was camping or anything. People need to actually see Links play before they immediately dismiss them as spammy.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Nothing fills me with rage like facing Wario. He literally has an answer to whatever you do. Jump in the air, you get Chomped, and on the ground, it's either that damn bike of his or something else. It's like you have to run from him the whole match and wait for screw ups to to get some damage on the guy, and it's certainly not fun going against him.
To this day, I'm still entirely clueless as to how Chomp is a balanced move. That and the bike is the main reason Wario is high tier if you ask me.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
People who like to taunt right in your face like they are da bess. I've played against one of these rare, but dank DHD yesterday and the game was pretty tied, but he was winning on the second stock. He did the Laughing taunt right on my face. I almost did the comeback though, but he didn't dare to taunt again as he won. I don't care about taunts, but it irks me that they try to be so h4rdc0r3 like that to the point of taunting on someone's face. I've even got trollish to the point of calling a teabag-loving Greninja cocky.

Arrei

Smash Lord
When someone tells me "GG" and leaves before I can get my own "GG" tag out.

Let me be polite to you, you @#$%@

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Ok, just fought a Lucas the other day that did nothing but roll all over the place in LAG. The match went to sudden death and he killed me, then he proceeded to call me trash and then leave. This was very frustrating because I got the reads on his rolls, but couldn't properly punish them because of the lag.

Like dude, I KNOW you felt that lag as much as I did.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
People who like to taunt right in your face like they are da bess. I've played against one of these rare, but dank DHD yesterday and the game was pretty tied, but he was winning on the second stock. He did the Laughing taunt right on my face. I almost did the comeback though, but he didn't dare to taunt again as he won. I don't care about taunts, but it irks me that they try to be so h4rdc0r3 like that to the point of taunting on someone's face. I've even got trollish to the point of calling a teabag-loving Greninja cocky.
This.

Me and my brother were on 2v2 today and we were fighting a Pac-Man and Mario. The Pac-Man killed my brother and for some reason did that obnoxious down taunt even though I was about to kill him. It wasn't even a funny kill or anything, just a regular smash attack while both of them were at like 118%. The worst part about it was that the Mario kept killing himself in the previous match and we didn't do anything about it. I honestly have no idea why that Pac-Man decided to stroke his ego all of a sudden.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've honestly never had that happen to me before... Until tonight.

I will say I had both a great and poor experience with these guys tonight, so I guess I have mixed feelings with them. Long story short it was a 2V2 For Glory with a friend and our opponents Tags were "U Like..." "DeDeDe"? Sure enough they were double King Dedede, and sure enough they spammed to hell and back. At first it was annoying, but we actually started to have fun. Genuine Fun.

We were literally enjoying playing against these guys to the point we played with them for a whole 3 hours straight. They won most of the matches, but we won quite a few ourselves. I even sent these guys a Friend Request cause I was genuinely enjoying playing with them.

It was obvious they were trying to troll, but what can I say? If I'm having fun I'm having fun.

Near the end though they began to get incredibly disrespectful out of no where. Taunting, doing his down pose, and stooped to even taunting directly in our faces multiple times. I didn't get it. Were they not enjoying it as much as we were? Did we do something wrong?

Either way, my friend had to leave so I wished them a "GG" before we left and I'm still looking forward for them to accept my Friend Request. They played extremely well despite the spamming, and knew how to adapt to a lot of our tactics. They were just really fun.

Despite the obvious trolling and stuff anyways.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
About the "taunting right in the face" thing, I must admit that I'm guilty of doing this several times in for glory. But only when I face a rolling, edge loving, projectile spammer. Or simply someone that will wait at the edge.
I know that seeing Zelda waving at them will make them mad (especially hidden being the Phantom).

But sometimes, people taunt with no reasons. Absolutely no reasons. I remember, in 2vs2 for Fun, a Sonic who used his "Sonic Speed" taunt, while his friend wasn't helping him... And he gave me the opportunity to sweetspot Zelda's Fair.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
When it comes to playing on for glory, I hate a lot of stuff. If I had to say what's the number one that makes me angry, it's lag. I've played for glory here and there, but the lag annoys me. I can't play correctly and the controls have a late response

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Sometimes i just want to test things with a new character i don't know too well just for fun, like for example the other day i used Bowser which i don't know too much about. I then meet a decent Link main who excessively tbags by crouching and taunts and then manage to beat me even if it was even.

After the game he sets his nametags to"LMAO" "YOU SUCK" TOO EASY" and then instantly leaves before i get to switch to my main.

I know i shouldn't be upset about it but i simply can't stand when people leave after winning one game, especially when they write stuff like this.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sometimes i just want to test things with a new character i don't know too well just for fun, like for example the other day i used Bowser which i don't know too much about. I then meet a decent Link main who excessively tbags by crouching and taunts and then manage to beat me even if it was even.

After the game he sets his nametags to"LMAO" "YOU SUCK" TOO EASY" and then instantly leaves before i get to switch to my main.

I know i shouldn't be upset about it but i simply can't stand when people leave after winning one game, especially when they write stuff like this.
This is basically all I've been encountering with my recent online testruns with Game & Watch. It's like, I'm just trying a new character, you don't have to inflate your ego at every given opportunity, chill fam.

KirbCider

Smash Ace

Personally, although it may not be true most of the time I like to believe it's fear that causes them to do that.

"Haha! Yes I won! Better insult them and leave before they can get serious and kick my butt!" Even if it's a super close match or perhaps out of luck that they win they really enjoy getting off to stroking their own ego. Sometimes though, they will stay and soon find out how much of a mistake that it was. And boy when you rub it in in return they get so boiled up over it. It's quite funny actually.

I hate being a jerk in return, but sometimes people really do need to be put in their place. Inflate your ego on your own time.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
People who try to 1-up you by switching to your character after beating them. It's absolutely adorable.

Last edited:

vaughnyboy8

Smash Rookie
NNID
vaughnyboy8
I've gotten over the leave after getting trashed once kind of people. I just laugh after those now. But I once got spammed on hard by a Toon Link who rolled to the edges and rotated bow, boomerang, bomb, roll away if pressed, rinse repeat, occasional hookshot, while playing ****ing Kirby. I rekt him twice and he started calling ME a spammer saying U MAD? GET SOME. I'm playing ****ing Kirby you doorknob! You've been spamming this whole time WTF are you on???? I trashed him one more time but just barely and told him to get the **** out, which he kindly did. The only thing worse than a spamming Link is a spamming Toon Link.

The other thing is ****ty players switching to your character and color only to get destroyed, but still taunt if they take a stock no matter how far behind they are. Why? Just.... why? Stop that, ******!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Holy crap I always knew was :4link: annoying to fight, but today was the worst. I 2-stocked a Pikachu and then he switched to Link. He had all the attributes of your typical For Glory Link:

- Spammed boomerang, arrows, and smash attacks
- Used only rolls to move around
- Ran away for the entire match
- Had a fair amount of lag
- Taunted whenever he launched me high, even know I didn't do anything when I 2-stocked his Pikachu

It was even worse when I decided to fight him again. Aside from taunting, he did everything mentioned until there was about 30 seconds left. He even tried to stall a bit by waiting on the spawn platform. When he slowly fell to his death, I just spammed Wario's laugh and then he left.

I usually don't have trouble with FG Links, but man this guy was a pain to fight.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I don't really get mad if someone switches to my main after a match. Maybe its their main too. Maybe they need to learn the MU because its their main. Maybe they just want to have a fun ditto or something.

Anyway, on to some things that actually annoy me. I'm perfectly fine with getting rekt by good players. Its fine, its a part of life. What I'm NOT ok with is getting beaten by legitimately good players who ALSO roll a lot or airdodge a lot. I was fighting this one person earlier, which was a legitimately good person with everal characters, but they would ALWAYS airdodge after something. If I'm on the other side of the stage, they would airdodge. If I didn't attack, they would roll or airdodge. If I got a read and tried to punish their airdodge, they were smart enough to get a read on that and attack. Its annoying.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

THIS SO MUCH. Is like, what do they get from that? Pride? Bragging Rights? 'Oh yes, you beat some unknown person in the online mode of a fighting-party, you succeded at life...' :facepalm:

But at least, you can do the same to them if you feel like it. But yeah, sometimes people are just so...UGH.

And more when its a spammy-scummy Link that resorts to that. But in the run, it is satisfying that you get to beat them at their own game when they thought they had the victory.

TRUESTORY.MP4

Ala-

:bowser:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sort of off topic but is it me, or do all of the cocky players only play during the weekends? Whenever I play from Monday-Wednesday, I find almost no taunters or spammers. In the past three days alone however, I've found 2 name-tag insults, 5 taunters, and 6 roll/projectile spammers.

Kevham

Smash Rookie
The main thing that grinds my gears on FG is when someone disrespects the Match-Opening taunt. Just rude, dude.

Also the usual Tag-Insulters. Last time I was online some guy told me to get cancer after I beat him with Mac.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The main thing that grinds my gears on FG is when someone disrespects the Match-Opening taunt. Just rude, dude.
I'll admit, I used to do this all the time with Robo Beam. I've grown out of that now, since I've learned to gladly take a mutual opening taunt over the increasingly common taunt-after-every-kill Mario.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I guess I shouldn't really be complaining about this since it helps me win a lot, but I also have to ask what people are thinking during this.

Anyways, it sort of grinds my gears when my opponent fails to learn their lesson. For example, today a friend and I were in a 2V2 For Glory match and I was Villager. One of our opponents was Megaman and he would try to fully charge his F-Smash rather often, which I would always Pocket and use to KO either him or his friend. Like, seriously? Stop giving me free ammo. It's not benefiting you at all.

Anyone with a reflector also seems to be poor victims who do not learn their lesson either while I'm playing Villager. It's gotten to the point where I can just plant my tree and wait for them. I am literally baiting them to reflect my tree so I can Pocket it. They allow me to do so, and the worst part is they will keep trying. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work. Try something else. You'll do better if you do.

You're supposed to adapt. Please don't stick to one thing in hopes it will work when it obviously doesn't.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Peach's down air. Seriously how the **** do you counter that? It's like her hurtbox vanishes when she does that move in the air.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I hate when I'm fighting someone as my mains for all the matches and the moment I decide to switch it up they leave and I have to fight the next guy as a character I don't know as well which doesn't always go too great. I know it's not their fault and they have no real way of knowing but it's still pretty annoying

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Players who keep rolling away all the time. If you aren't playing a keep away/zoning character, for the love of Cthulhu, stop running away!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The horrid input lag allowing total scrubs to beat me when I know what I'm doing.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
The horrid input lag allowing total scrubs to beat me when I know what I'm doing.
This so much. By the time I do the input on a move, either the game doesn't register it, or it takes too long to 'act'. Making myself a moving-sandbag in the battle at times. :facepalm:

He forgot he was the Hero of "Twilight", not the Hero of "Time"....
Fair enough.

At least I perform a good JUDGEMENT on that Link- :4gaw:

:bowser:

Top Bottom