• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I may have already posted this video, but I remembered that I managed to capture one of those cocky taunt happy :4falcon:

For your enjoyment:

D

Deleted member

I may have already posted this video, but I remembered that I managed to capture one of those cocky taunt happy :4falcon:

For your enjoyment:
You've got a pretty sick Zelda. It's always refreshing to see people do well with her. <3

But yeah, cocky Falcons are so annoying to come across. It's even more aggravating when they're legitimately good, but man if they're just one of those flowchart Falcons it's nice to give them a taste of their own medicine.

RoyMaBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Minecrafter620
3DS FC
0044-3464-8959
Two words: Projectile. Spammers. I once found a Mega Man player in For Glory who literally just spammed Metal Blade, Leaf Shield, and Crash Bomber. I mean, at least TRY to use the characters' whole movesets instead of just camping around and shooting projectiles, amirite?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
You've got a pretty sick Zelda. It's always refreshing to see people do well with her. <3
Thanks! Hopefully I know how to play her, as she is my main since Melee's day one. I still have weaknesses, but it's not Zelda specific weaknesses, just i my general playstyle.

But yeah, cocky Falcons are so annoying to come across. It's even more aggravating when they're legitimately good, but man if they're just one of those flowchart Falcons it's nice to give them a taste of their own medicine.
I haven't encountered a really good Falcon yet, and the good ones never were so cocky. But as shown in the video (despite the whiff), they are still, to this date, the character that attack you when you respond to the opening taunt. I still wonder why, despite knowing that he is fast with short taunts.

KirbCider

Smash Ace

For your enjoyment:
This was so satisfying to watch. He deserved every single taunt you dished out. It's one thing to try to attack you when returning a Taunt Greeting, but to taunt right in your face for pretty much no reason at all (Whoa, he hit you! He totally needed to taunt that!) has cockiness written all over it. Did he stay or leave immediately after that? I'm going to assume he left immediately, because you know...

That must of hurt his massive ego that he tried to show off. :awesome:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Did he stay or leave immediately after that? I'm going to assume he left immediately, because you know...

Whiffing his first grab against an immobile target + getting hit during the oh-so meme taunt + getting taunted back + SDing himself?

Of course he would leave :awesome: Althought I'm not sure if he actually left, as I have this Falcon... And I remember that it was the previous one (on Wrecking Crew) that made me decide that I'll attack every taunting Falcon. Also, I taunt back, and I wouldn't taunt against someone dying like this on the first battle.

Not really an entertaining, skilled battle. But if you want some free violence against Falcon, watch it! :awesome:

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
The thing that really makes me mad is spammers who roll all over the place and taunt the second they see the sparks appear it especially makes me mad when it's a guaranteed kill throw and they taunt. Or if I'm using little Mac and they just throw me off stage try to gimp me but I still make it back and then they do the same exact thing over and over and after like 20 times when they finally take a stock they taunt. Basically spammers, rollers, and people who taunt for something stupid annoy the crap out of me and I tend to play really bad when I'm angry which makes it even worse.

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
This was so satisfying to watch. He deserved every single taunt you dished out. It's one thing to try to attack you when returning a Taunt Greeting, but to taunt right in your face for pretty much no reason at all (Whoa, he hit you! He totally needed to taunt that!) has cockiness written all over it. Did he stay or leave immediately after that? I'm going to assume he left immediately, because you know...

Watch this and you might understand what the falcon was doing https://youtu.be/GQu_Uf6gdBM

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Whiffing his first grab against an immobile target + getting hit during the oh-so meme taunt + getting taunted back + SDing himself?

Of course he would leave :awesome: Althought I'm not sure if he actually left, as I have this Falcon... And I remember that it was the previous one (on Wrecking Crew) that made me decide that I'll attack every taunting Falcon. Also, I taunt back, and I wouldn't taunt against someone dying like this on the first battle.

Not really an entertaining, skilled battle. But if you want some free violence against Falcon, watch it! :awesome:
26 seconds. DAMN. That's a record alright. :cool:

:bowser:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am starting to get tired of fighting Links. What is with Link's popularity? I know Zelda (series) is popular, but not as much as Pokémon or Mario, yet I see Link a ton more than Pokémon characters. I am thinking it is because he is a cool anime dude with a sword, plus winning with Link against newbie players is really easy.

Seriously, there are over 50 characters in the game and people keep gravitating towards Link, Mac, Marth and Shulk online O.o
Two words: Projectile. Spammers. I once found a Mega Man player in For Glory who literally just spammed Metal Blade, Leaf Shield, and Crash Bomber. I mean, at least TRY to use the characters' whole movesets instead of just camping around and shooting projectiles, amirite?
How dare a projectile-based character spam projectiles!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
26 seconds. DAMN. That's a record alright. :cool:

Well, this is slightly shorter. I suppose Din's Fire grinds his own gears :troll:
Now the question is: Am I guilty of spamming?

I am starting to get tired of fighting Links. What is with Link's popularity? I know Zelda (series) is popular, but not as much as Pokémon or Mario, yet I see Link a ton more than Pokémon characters. I am thinking it is because he is a cool anime dude with a sword, plus winning with Link against newbie players is really easy.

Seriously, there are over 50 characters in the game and people keep gravitating towards Link, Mac, Marth and Shulk online O.o
Zelda, and therefore Link, is still well known. Not to mention this game is well known for rolling through Hyrule :awesome:

Add easy to use projectiles (the arrow and boomerang), and the so edgy Oni-Link costume, and you get the perfect character that seems easy to use for people.

How dare a projectile-based character spam projectiles!
I don't mind projectile based characters, but those people should try to discover that character such as Link (him again) or Samus also can use this: :GCA:

Reminds me a projectile spamming :4zelda:. Yep. That's sad.

Reila

I don't mind projectile based characters, but those people should try to discover that character such as Link (him again) or Samus also can use this: :GCA:

Reminds me a projectile spamming :4zelda:. Yep. That's sad.
Of course. But the other user was complaining about Mega Man, who has 90% of his moveset being projectiles. The few non projectiles moves in his moveset shouldn't be used that often, because they are rather laggy and unsafe.

RoyMaBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Minecrafter620
3DS FC
0044-3464-8959
Reila Reila Okay, yeah Mega Man is a projectile based character, but what about the Link, Robin, Samus, and other players who can't press any button other than their lovely little projectile shooter? I mean, it's not like melee attacks don't exist, right? Not too long ago, I went to a local tournament and lost to a projectile-spamming Robin player. Then I went to the next tournament and lost to the same guy for the same reason, projectiles. Yup, that grinds my gears. Basically, it's a little unfair when you're using a melee-based character and the other guy is spamming projectiles to try and keep you away, juuuuust sayin.

Last edited:

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
FG Pie chart
10% newbies
20% Skilled players
25% Okish players, better than noobs but have little tourney experience
35% Noobs who spam smash attacks using swordsmen
5% Mario bros, Mac and top tier users
5% Lag fests

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Of course. But the other user was complaining about Mega Man, who has 90% of his moveset being projectiles. The few non projectiles moves in his moveset shouldn't be used that often, because they are rather laggy and unsafe.
Megaman is a projectile heavy character, definitely. Nobody can deny that.

But with Megaman's array of projectiles, why only rolling, and using the Metal Blade and the Crash Bomb? Oh, and charged F-Smash.

All of this without thinking, of course. Megaman's charged F-Smash is the best exemple of the projectiles reflected several times in one battle.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Not too long ago, I went to a local tournament and lost to a projectile-spamming Robin player. Then I went to the next tournament and lost to the same guy for the same reason, projectiles. Yup, that grinds my gears. Basically, it's a little unfair when you're using a melee-based character and the other guy is spamming projectiles to try and keep you away, juuuuust sayin.
Yeah sorry, but that's pretty much how zoners are meant to be played, Robin especially considering Arcfire and the various charges of Thunder are arguably his greatest tools. It can hardly be called unfair when most zoners, like a large chunk of the cast, get bodied by any character with a good amount of aerial + ground mobility, especially if they have good melee range.

Last edited:

RoyMaBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Minecrafter620
3DS FC
0044-3464-8959
Yeah, zoners. But you're right about what you said. What I'm mad about is that people abuse the power of projectiles sometimes/ most of the time, even if they are using a projectile-based character .

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well I just found my new least favorite character to fight on For Glory:

:4tlink:

Me and my brother were on 2v2 and we found a pair of Toon Links. These guys did almost nothing but run around and spam projectiles. Whenever they killed us, they would spam Toon Link's down taunt (where he slashes his sword everywhere), even right in front of us. Whenever they were going to get KO'd near the end of the match, they would roll away and taunt whenever they had the chance. We beat them a few times and then left, but they somehow ended up joining us again and kept beating us by spamming (both projectiles and taunts).

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
The fact that there are characters that I haven't faced seen MUCH on FG...

Characters like: :4metaknight: :4wario: :4kirby: :4diddy: :4bowserjr: :4duckhunt: :4olimar: :4gaw: :4rob:

Just to name a few are ones I haven't seen, and MK being the only where I HAD to use him and that's it.

Only :4peach::4link::4littlemac::4pit::4yoshi::4shulk::4lucina::4marth:

Is like, jeez, there's over 50 characters and only the ones of the 2nd row I posted here are the only ones? :facepalm:

ChikiLucario

Smash Cadet
Today I've finally had the moment someone copied the same character AND color palette after it beat me.
It was this Dark Toon Link, and I was playing as the Red-White Ness. He was pretty good and respectful, and then I've killed him with a cool F-Smash Roll read. I did the "Okay" taunt in a good mood, and wasn't even thinking about offending the dude. He gone wild, and ended up winning, and he taunted too when he took my both stocks. I didn't care, until he switched to the exact same character with the exact same color. I was thinking "Let's see how do you know Ness then!". Some seconds later, he completely messes up the PKThunder recovery, and it wasn't even close to hitting him. I taunted again, now 3 times. He came back, and did the backthrow on me - and I had 24% damage. Then, I've noticed he would use PSIMagnet every time I would edgeguard him using PKThunder. What I did next? PSIMagnet his PKThunder2 recovery! It was sweet.

I used to play as Falcon, but he became so annoying I can't anymore. As much as I like Alpharad, I don't doubt they're little fanboys of him who took his Falcon x Falcon video seriously.

I hate alpharad with every fibre of my being. He is a contributor to the trollfest that is For Glory. He promotes griefing. I liked him because he works hard on his HTP videos and, despite them being pretty bad in, you know, skill, there was a lot of effort put into them for editing. Then he started to upload stuff such as:

And
And other generally condescending stuff that just makes him seem like he thinks that he's better than everyone else, when in fact he can't even clear classic mode 9.0. He's the picture-perfect posterboy for online 1v1. I honestly think his fanbase is similar to Pewdiepie's, where they're all just prepubescent, immature little kids. It's also funny when he says that "people take the game too seriously" yet, during his failure 9.0 runs, he was legitimately melting down because he was getting rocked by the CPUs. His commentary is stale, the gameplay is SO BORING TO WATCH, and he just generally isn't a nice person, in my humble opinion, from what I've seen. He also complained that too many people were asking for more HTP, saying "I don't want to be forced into doing something I don't enjoy." Yeah, like he forced the people to play against his lagswitch and stuff. They totally enjoyed it.

Sorry for wall of text but I just really hate immature little trolls like him. :D And yes, I'm sure he's contributed to the 10 year olds being little trolls. no doubt in my mind, just like he influenced the miiverse stage with his "FIND MAD DAWG" bullcrap. Maybe you know something about him that I don't, I dunno.

Last edited:

Reila

Reila Reila Okay, yeah Mega Man is a projectile based character, but what about the Link, Robin, Samus, and other players who can't press any button other than their lovely little projectile shooter? I mean, it's not like melee attacks don't exist, right? Not too long ago, I went to a local tournament and lost to a projectile-spamming Robin player. Then I went to the next tournament and lost to the same guy for the same reason, projectiles. Yup, that grinds my gears. Basically, it's a little unfair when you're using a melee-based character and the other guy is spamming projectiles to try and keep you away, juuuuust sayin.
Link, Robin and Samus are all zoners as well. I am not attempting to defend players that only use projectiles over and over again, but when fighting Mega Man, Link, Toon Link, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Villager, Robin, Samus, etc... You should expect to see a lot of projectiles coming your way.

It is not unfair at all. In a close fight, zoners are in a huge disadvantage. These characters simply don't have the tools to win against competent opponents without using their projectiles. Some of them will use projectiles to trap their opponents (Robin, Bowser Jr.), others will use to rack up damage and/or approach (Samus, Villager) and others to turtle and well, camp, like Link. It is how they are meant to be played.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
But the problem is that there ARE players that use a healthy use of BOTH methods. Ranged and Up-Close. And when oneself sees spammers that ONLY use proyectiles, that can be maddening.

Reila

Well yeah, even the projectile-heavy characters shouldn't be using only projectiles. Not even Mega Man.

The thing is, using only one move/kind of move isn't a problem exclusive to projectile characters. All very common in online environment: Falcons, Ganondorfs, Marths and Lucinas using charged smash attacks over and over again. Marths, Lucinas, Ikes, Shulks and Little Macs using counter all the time. Bowsers trying to bowsercide you the whole damn match. Jigglypuffs that only know how to use rest or pound. Kirbies that will try to kill you with stone during the whole match. Etc etc. People will find a way that can give them easy wins (against newbie players) and stick with it, until they get destroyed by a competent player (and then they will proceed to offend said player).

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Oh god...

Which reminds me. DAMN COUNTERS. Always that I face an opponent that can do that, I always play with iron booting on those matches. One mistake, and that could be the key to defeat or victory. :c

For better examples, the SHULKS.

Peff

Smash Cadet
When I can't find anyone good enough to play against. It seems like all the good people leave at the same time or something.

Gypsy-dawg

Smash Rookie
People who are too cowardly to use a real taunt and risk punishment, so they just crouch-dance instead.

X1Type1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Delver83
What makes you guys mad in For Glory?[/QUOTE]
-When I body someone legit, then they get a lucky win, and then leave. Sets are best 2 outta 3 scrubs -.-
-When people swich to characters with absurd priority like Luigi, GW, Yoshi, and Ryu and then camp and button mash or roll whenever you get close.
-When people change their name tag to communicate, even when they have something nice to say. Like bruh I don't even know you don't talk to me like we're roomates.
-Lag. Why am I connecting to Poland??????
And this is why FG is for scrubs only and why I quit doing it regularly.

Last edited:

X1Type1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Delver83
I
View attachment 33988
Sonic is manageable offline, but online is a different story. It's kind of like how USF4 Blanka is around mid-tier offline but completely broken online. Lag changes things, man.
Lag changes the entire meta. Shiek is garbage and Gannon is like top tier on FG. But if an FG Gannon tried to best me in real lagless Smash I'd body him with the whole cast blindfolded.

X1Type1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Delver83
Samus spamming missiles and little mac players that always counter
Ikr? u wud think people that go LM wud be doing so to try a more aggressive approach but no. Just down b.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
excusable if you're Kirby though
Crouch dancing as Kirby basically says to me "I don't know how to do the spot-turn dance and/or just want to disrespect.". I mean Kirby's little spot dance when you tap left and right is so freaking adorable, I have no idea why you'd prefer the stupid crouch dancing thing that blatantly originated from teabagging.

Speaking of taunts, double taunters! Never use the same taunt twice. Infact, you probably don't even wanna taunt twice anyway since it just looks cocky and unnatural unless you're :4gaw: and you wanna ring-a-ding that bell up and down (-and maybe even back up again. Up taunt to side taunt or back again is a G&W true combo. :sheep:) in your opponent's KO'd face.

-and finally, people who turtle as close-range fighters... I just... I don't understand, I thought we were over this FG. I thought we were over Craptain Falcon players sitting at one side of the stage spam-crouching and pseudo-perfect shielding until you approached them (Which is never if you're me because "lol, no".). I just unashamedly lost to a guy twice who did this as three seperate characters just because I lost my patience or effort with them (One loss which was due to a footstool that he double taunted anyway.). Double dumb points if they roll to the edges, or you have strong projectiles.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Pretty much. When you taunt more than once in quick succesion that seems nothing but overall douchiness. It happened to me last night with some guy. But luckily I managed to turn the match around and teabag him to oblivion.

It was a :4falcon: nonetheless...

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Oh hey would you look at that, I'm back in this thread again, I wonder why.

- People who taunt when they think you've killed yourself. I don't need to explain this one.
- People who can't jump over projectiles like a normal player and have to make it some kind of special event (ZSS, I'm looking at you.). Look, it wasn't cool or effective the first time you did it, so why try again? (Made a Little Mac player SD because of this actually.)
-and last but not least, people who can hit you with projectiles, but instead, sit there spamming crouch because you're sitting out of their range. Like, c'mon, all you have to do is walk away from the edge a little. (Oh, I get it, if they roll away from the edge to get closer they face the wrong way! Oh no! Hurrrrrrrrr.)

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Oh hey would you look at that, I'm back in this thread again, I wonder why.

- People who taunt when they think you've killed yourself. I don't need to explain this one.
I get this one a lot. You should know what I mean since we both play koopalings. I go underneath the stage and around the other side and most people think I SD'd, so of course they taunt me to be like "haha you died" and I'm just sitting there sighing at how people have to be so childish, especially since I didn't actually die and it was according to plan.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I get this one a lot. You should know what I mean since we both play koopalings. I go underneath the stage and around the other side and most people think I SD'd, so of course they taunt me to be like "haha you died" and I'm just sitting there sighing at how people have to be so childish, especially since I didn't actually die and it was according to plan.
Yeah, had one today where I was literally in the middle of side-B under the middle of the stage (So by no means dead.), and the guy double-taunts at the side of the stage, and in the middle of his second, I just up-B hammered him to finish. I really don't get why people don't accommodate for a character's recovery capabilities when they decide to start celebrating, I really don't.

[Edit]: Bonus round! People who 360 as Pit or Dark Pit while charging their bow. Just... -stop. Okay?

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Yeah, had one today where I was literally in the middle of side-B under the middle of the stage (So by no means dead.), and the guy double-taunts at the side of the stage, and in the middle of his second, I just up-B hammered him to finish. I really don't get why people don't accommodate for a character's recovery capabilities when they decide to start celebrating, I really don't.
It's pitiful, really. I can understand a taunt if something cool happens or if you pull off an incredible combo, but taunting someone when they SD, taunting them when they THINK they SD'd but didn't, taunt a super simple kill, or even start the double or triple taunts (god forbid taunting when something happens in lag too), that's just them trying to stroke their already-over-inflated ego and really speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
It's pitiful, really. I can understand a taunt if something cool happens or if you pull off an incredible combo, but taunting someone when they SD, taunting them when they THINK they SD'd but didn't, taunt a super simple kill, or even start the double or triple taunts (god forbid taunting when something happens in lag too), that's just them trying to stroke their already-over-inflated ego and really speaks volumes.
If I could main this post in all the Smash games, I would. :'v I think the only thing I'd add to that is taunting a footstool. Like... Really? C'mon.
Also had cases where people have taunted me SDing on purpose when I did it because they made an obvious accident and SDd themselves. Stupid people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom