• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Hm... Just as people have been saying, Xenoblade is a game that's top tier material good. I'll settle with the 3DS since I won't imagine myself buying a Wii / Wii U (i understand there are two games of each console so...) soon, but I'll look into that to. I've been wanting to follow Monolith Soft, and Xenoblade especially seems something that's worth a try alongside Xenogears while waiting for Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria to release.

Anyways, thanks you three for the recommendation. I'll definitely keep tabs of Xenoblade and get it when I'm able to.
XENOGEARS YES. IMO Gears is the vastly superior game, but it's definitely a flawed masterpiece.

Fair warning, you're gonna need to print out this translation guide to make sense of XG's plot and understand some of the subtext. If you play it on an emulator, be aware that it will take some fiddling to run properly. In particular, wavy effects will cause the screen to go black unless the framebuffer emulation is set properly. Regardless of your settings, when you do the first Deus fight on disk 2 you will NEED to save state every couple of turns. One of his moves has a very high chance of crashing the emulator.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Hm... Just as people have been saying, Xenoblade is a game that's top tier material good. I'll settle with the 3DS since I won't imagine myself buying a Wii / Wii U (i understand there are two games of each console so...) soon, but I'll look into that to. I've been wanting to follow Monolith Soft, and Xenoblade especially seems something that's worth a try alongside Xenogears while waiting for Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria to release.

Anyways, thanks you three for the recommendation. I'll definitely keep tabs of Xenoblade and get it when I'm able to.
Oh, you play Tales of? I actually have a question or two about that. The only Tales of game I have currently is Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube, which the vast majority seem to agree is the best Tales of game. Are there any Tales of games worth owning on the PS3? I've heard Xillia 1+2 were both meh, Vesperia is only Japanese, Graces F had a terrible story, and Zestiria is plagued by glitches and camera issues. Out of the PS3 releases, I've heard Vesperia is the best, but since it doesn't have an English release for PS3, I was reluctant about buying it. I have no issue with importing but if it's just a decent game, I don't really want to spend money on it. Same goes for the other titles.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Iceweasel Iceweasel Looks like I'm in for a promise then! Great to know :)

DarkBlueSpark DarkBlueSpark I've tried Xillia 1, but I didn't really like it. Maybe because it felt too limited. Of course, I knew there was a sequel to compensate for its lack of content, but I won't bother playing the sequel of a game I lose interest in. For the PS3, you should get Tales of Symphonia HD. Now THAT'S a game worth buying (alongside Legendia, and that's aside from the point since it's a PS2 classic. Which I don't know if they put it on PSN or not).

I won't be mad if you won't play Dawn of the New World (because seriously, it no where as close as good as the first one), but the first Symphonia is definitely something I recommend for this type of question. People might say its overrated, but really, Tales of Symphonia is good. A solid 9/10 in my opinion. As for the other two...

For Graces, I've heard of such things. It has grade school level story writing but the combat system is one of the best (arguably when you think of Hearts R). I haven't played that but I'd definitely give it a try for the battle system alone. Though I don't think you should get your hopes up for everything else.

Zesteria looks pretty bland. I remember getting hyped for that game along with Fire Emblem Fates, but I eventually lose interest. The only thing that kept me going for it was the fact that there was a spear user, and even that wasn't enough for my hype to sustain. Not gonna bother with that.

I haven't played Vesperia, but yeah, that's what people's been saying. Supposedly it has top-tier battle system and people sing harmonies for its story. They especially like the characters there, particularly Yuri. If you're able to get it, you should try it and tell me how it is. XD

Tales of Berseria looks pretty interesting. I don't remember the details, but the battle system is suppose to be an open world stylized and I'm feeling that. Although I'm not a fan of the protagonist's new design (literally black haired Milla, which is lazy >_>). I'm holding up my promises for that game.

EDIT: Okay wait. Sorry, but I didn't read the part where you already own Symphonia for the GameCube, so shucks on me for that. LOL

But really, I'd probably wait for Berseria to release.

You should give Xillia a run for it's money if you plan on settling with Tales for the PS3. It has a solid story, and along with its sequel, I think you'll find it to be worth enough for an adequate experience.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
DarkAuraful DarkAuraful Thanks for the explanation! I heard Tales of Berseria isn't actually coming to PS3 in the US, it'll only be on PS3 in Japan :/ I'll still wait for its release though.

I guess it's Xillia 1+2 or Vesperia then for me. And yeah, I heard about how bad Dawn of the New World was, so I didn't buy the HD Collection for PS3. I mean, I could have just not played it, but if I just had it, I would have felt the urge to complete it and I really didn't want that. So I opted for the Gamecube version of Symphonia instead.

DraastiK

Smash Rookie
NNID
DraastiK
More of a what should I play next?

Witcher 3 - Started it, not too far into it.
Tomb Raider - Again, started it. Got distracted with other games.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Xenoblade X vs Pokken Tournament. Xenoblade X worth it? It looks incredible and I've been hyped for it forever. But Pokken looks pretty decent too...

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Xenoblade X vs Pokken Tournament. Xenoblade X worth it? It looks incredible and I've been hyped for it forever. But Pokken looks pretty decent too...
Haven't gotten Xenoblade X yet tho I've been meaning to get it for awhile. But I did pick up Pokken a few days ago and I'm loving it. You'll like Pokken if you're either a Pokemon or fighting game fan IMO. If you're neither though, might wanna wait on that. The "story" in Pokken is also very very bare, the meat of the game is in the fighting, as usual with fighting games. If you don't think you'll get bored quickly just fighting matches locally or online over and over again, I'd say pick up Pokken, especially if you don't have too much time to play and you just want to get a few matches in occasionally. If you'd prefer a much more engaging story however and have the time to spend hours at a time on a game, pick up Xenoblade X.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Well, Xenoblade X was butchered in translation and Pokken has 30FPS local play, plus one player has to use the gamepad and look at its screen. I'd say skip both.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Xenoblade is worth it imo, but you need to read a bunch online because the game sucks at explaining some of the mechanics.

Oh, and the lack of the boob slider that was in the Japanese version is also a negetive.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
You'll like Pokken if you're either a Pokemon or fighting game fan IMO. If you're neither though, might wanna wait on that. The "story" in Pokken is also very very bare, the meat of the game is in the fighting, as usual with fighting games.
Yeah I've always loved Pokemon and fighting games so I will probably pick it up eventually. I'm used to putting in lab time too.

Xenoblade is worth it imo, but you need to read a bunch online because the game sucks at explaining some of the mechanics.

Oh, and the lack of the boob slider that was in the Japanese version is also a negetive.
LOL yeah freaking Nintendo America. We couldn't even get true skinship in FE Fates

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

As well as all this (copypasta from /v/ from before the game was even released in the West, we could probably add a lot more now that it has. It only covers names and it's this long, the list of other changes must come out to a 500-page tome.)

Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator -> Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth

Unions -> Divisions
Overed -> Tyrant
Races

Growth -> Ganglion
Vyers -> Prone
Lars -> Wrothians
Unions

Colepedian -> Curators
Avalanche -> Harriers
Interceptor -> Interceptors
Companion -> Mediators
Arms Company -> Outfitters
Path Finder -> Pathfinders
Land Bank -> Prospectors
Testament -> Reclaimers
Classes

Assault -> Striker
Command -> Commando
Forcer -> Enforcer
Samurai Gun -> Samurai Gunner
Shield Battler -> Shield Trooper
Sword Fang -> Winged Viper
Long Lancer -> Partisan Eagle
Psy Seeker -> Psycorruptor
General Sword -> Duelist
Heavy Striker -> Bastion Warrior
Star Crusader -> Astral Crusader
Elite Planner -> Mastermind
Galaxy Knight -> Galactic Knight
Locations

Land of Black Steel -> Cauldros
Land of White Wood -> Sylvalum
Primordial Wilderness -> Primordia
Noctilucent Forest -> Noctilum
Valley of Oblivion -> Oblivia
Dolls

Wels -> Verus (Note: Wels is a Xenogears reference)
Wels.CAIN -> Verus Cain (Note: this was a Xenosaga reference)
Formula.ZERO -> Formula Zero
Urban.LINCOLN -> Urban Lincoln
Lailah.QUEEN -> Lailah Queen
Inferno.SKYDON -> Inferno Skydon
Mastema.WHITEREAPER -> Mastema White Reaper
Amdusias.HADES -> Amdusias Hades
Game Mechanics

Overclock Gear (OC Gear) -> Overdrive
Double Recast -> Secondary Cooldown
Triple Recast -> Tertiary Cooldown
Characters

Lynlee Ku -> Lin Lee Koo
Arts

Cross Reload -> Primer
Blood Gear -> Blood Sacrifice
Burning Sword -> Incendiary Edge
Aggressive Mode -> Offensive Stance
Blade Cyclone -> Tornado Blade

finalark

SNORLAX
As well as all this (copypasta from /v/ from before the game was even released in the West, we could probably add a lot more now that it has. It only covers names and it's this long, the list of other changes must come out to a 500-page tome.)
To be fair, not all of these changes are actually bad. For example:

Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator -> Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth
Cleaning up Engrish to sound like something natural to a native English speaker's ear. Good.

Overed -> Tyrant
Changing a made up Engrish word into something that's actually out of the English dictionary. Good.

Colepedian -> Curators
Avalanche -> Harriers
Interceptor -> Interceptors
Companion -> Mediators
Arms Company -> Outfitters
Path Finder -> Pathfinders
Land Bank -> Prospectors
Testament -> Reclaimers
A lot of these are pretty hit and miss. Pathfinders was a simple but necessary change, since Pathfinder (written as one word) is an actual word. Likewise, adding the plural to "Interceptor" emphasizes it as a group and not an individual. I also think that Prospectors is much better than Land Bank, because that's some grade A Engrish right there. On the offhand, some of these changes are pretty extreme. I haven't played Xenoblade X (nor do I plan to, TBH) so I really don't know if changing something from Companion to Mediators actually reflects their purpose better or what.

Growth -> Ganglion
Vyers -> Prone
Lars -> Wrothians
Again, close but not quite. Ganglion and Wrothians certainly sound more like fantastical races to an Eglish speakers ear than Growth and Lars. Changing Vyers to Prone makes me scratch my head.

Assault -> Striker
Command -> Commando
Forcer -> Enforcer
Samurai Gun -> Samurai Gunner
Shield Battler -> Shield Trooper
Sword Fang -> Winged Viper
Long Lancer -> Partisan Eagle
Psy Seeker -> Psycorruptor
General Sword -> Duelist
Heavy Striker -> Bastion Warrior
Star Crusader -> Astral Crusader
Elite Planner -> Mastermind
Galaxy Knight -> Galactic Knight
Every single change here is good. In their original form, most of these sound awkward at best and hilariously Engrish at worse (General Sword LMAO). Changes were made where they had to be, while those that were mostly fine were slightly altered to sound better to a native English speaker. This is good.

Land of Black Steel -> Cauldros
Land of White Wood -> Sylvalum
Primordial Wilderness -> Primordia
Noctilucent Forest -> Noctilum
Valley of Oblivion -> Oblivia
These are the changes I disagree with the most, since I feel like the originals are much more poetic. That being said, I get what they were going at since the translated names sound like they could be actually places. Plus they made good on those tasty root words.

Wels -> Verus (Note: Wels is a Xenogears reference)
Wels.CAIN -> Verus Cain (Note: this was a Xenosaga reference)
Formula.ZERO -> Formula Zero
Urban.LINCOLN -> Urban Lincoln
Lailah.QUEEN -> Lailah Queen
Inferno.SKYDON -> Inferno Skydon
Mastema.WHITEREAPER -> Mastema White Reaper
Amdusias.HADES -> Amdusias Hades
The fact that translators have been missing references to past games in a series for decades is ridiculous, especially since we live in a day and age where the internet exists. Hell, the Japanese version of Symphony of the Night was chocked full of references to previous Castlevania games that went right over the head of the localization team. Aside from that, I'm mostly indifferent towards these changes.

Overclock Gear (OC Gear) -> Overdrive
Double Recast -> Secondary Cooldown
Triple Recast -> Tertiary Cooldown
I really don't these changes Recast to Cooldown is that offensive. Xenoblade is an offline MMO through and through. While in the east the term "recast" is commonly use to refer to when an ability can be used again, in the west "cooldown" is pretty universal. IMO it's a pretty good cultural translation.

Cross Reload -> Primer
Blood Gear -> Blood Sacrifice
Burning Sword -> Incendiary Edge
Aggressive Mode -> Offensive Stance
Blade Cyclone -> Tornado Blade
Aside from Blade Cyclone, I find most of the English names to be much cooler and poetic.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I think a few of the changes are good too, but there was a lot of obviously unnecessary stuff in there. Maybe I'm weird, but I also think that a lot of the Engrish names are better. I think there were a few more changes listed in the version I have on my hard drive, but I couldn't find it so I just looked up a Pastebin.

My point is that if that's the list of names changed, the changed dialogue list must be many times more massive. Which, given some of the things I've heard about internal strife at Nintendo, can't help but make me think that the English translation was either a) aimed at a different demographic, or b) sabotaged by the NA branch.

Last edited:

LegendOfZeldaNut

Proud Bearer of the Triforce of Courage
Hi guys,
So I am a huge Zelda nut, and I am currently trying to buy and 100% all the Zelda games (excluding the CD-I ones). So here is my problem, I only have money for one right now, and I am trying to get the 3D ones out of the way. I have all but 2, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. I want to play MM, but I've heard it is REALLY stressful with the timer and I can get really panicky with time limits. So how bad is the stress in MM? Also, how dark is TP, because I share games with my little sis who is 7. She is a incredibly mature 7 year old, but she is still 7, so how bad is it?

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Hi guys,
So I am a huge Zelda nut, and I am currently trying to buy and 100% all the Zelda games (excluding the CD-I ones). So here is my problem, I only have money for one right now, and I am trying to get the 3D ones out of the way. I have all but 2, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. I want to play MM, but I've heard it is REALLY stressful with the timer and I can get really panicky with time limits. So how bad is the stress in MM? Also, how dark is TP, because I share games with my little sis who is 7. She is a incredibly mature 7 year old, but she is still 7, so how bad is it?
The timer in MM is not nearly as bad as it sounds. You still need to plan on what to do each cycle because it's about 45 realtime seconds for every in game hour, giving you about 20 minutes before having to start a new cycle. Fortunately, you can cheese the timer and play the "Inverted Song of Time" (playing the Song of Time backwards), which will slow the timer by nearly TRIPLE it's original speed, giving you roughly an hour of real time.

As for TP, it's more "gritty" (for lack of a better word) than actually "dark" (save for the lighting) I think, though you can see that Nintendo tried. MM is more dark than TP imo. Aside from like two cutscenes (Legend of Hyrule and pre Blizzeta battle), I'm sure your sister will be fine for the most part.

Personally, I recommend MM. It's a nice change from the usual formula and it puts more emphasis on the side characters to name a few reasons.

LegendOfZeldaNut

Thanks a ton! I will get MM, and use like one of my 20 notebooks to plan stuff out. Doing it 100% is gonna be a nightmare though. When we get TP I will google the cutscenes and if me and my mom both think they are too much I will have her leave the room when they happen, then fill her in on story that may have happened

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, how dark is TP, because I share games with my little sis who is 7. She is a incredibly mature 7 year old, but she is still 7, so how bad is it?
TP goes a little more dark than Zelda usually goes, thematically speaking at least. It has a gritter art style and some really surreal imagery, but it's nothing that would be too much for a kid IMO. Most of the darker stuff will likely go over her head. What other games targeted at an older audience have you shared with her?

LegendOfZeldaNut

She's played pretty much everything I've played, including Uncharted, (but I did have her cover her eyes when the blood got too much) She's also seen movies such as the Hunger Games trilogy and other movies like that. She's not really scared too easily, and we have heard much worse cussing from our mom(she has road rage, so we hear some words) Also she's played all routes in Undertale, and Genocide can be really dark.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
She's played pretty much everything I've played, including Uncharted, (but I did have her cover her eyes when the blood got too much) She's also seen movies such as the Hunger Games trilogy and other movies like that. She's not really scared too easily, and we have heard much worse cussing from our mom(she has road rage, so we hear some words) Also she's played all routes in Undertale, and Genocide can be really dark.
She should definitely be fine if she's seen/played those then. :laugh:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Should I get Battleborn?

I mean, it does interest me a bit, but the only character I got to play was Marquis... I never played a Borderlands game, before, so would this be a good start to get into GearBox's games?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Should I get Battleborn?

I mean, it does interest me a bit, but the only character I got to play was Marquis... I never played a Borderlands game, before, so would this be a good start to get into GearBox's games?
Being a fan of the Borderlands games, I'm very interested in Battleborn even though I haven't seen that much of it yet. I think Gearbox has made some of the best shooters I've ever played, and if Battleborn offers even half of the charm and enjoyment of Borderlands it'll be worthwhile.

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
Should I get Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne?
Or should I get both, if I enjoy one of them?
If you were to choose one of them, which would it be?

finalark

SNORLAX
Hey guys, anyone know if I am Setsuna is worth your while? I just came into a ton of free time and I'm looking to spend it on a good JRPG. It's gotten mixed to mostly positive reviews but I'm a bit anxious to hand over forty bones since it looks like Chrono Trigger with a more wintery skin.

I'm really poking around for something fresh and new. I'm really not all that interested in nostalgia pandering at this point, so I want to know if I'm making false judgement or not.

Zerinus

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, anyone know if I am Setsuna is worth your while? I just came into a ton of free time and I'm looking to spend it on a good JRPG. It's gotten mixed to mostly positive reviews but I'm a bit anxious to hand over forty bones since it looks like Chrono Trigger with a more wintery skin.

I'm really poking around for something fresh and new. I'm really not all that interested in nostalgia pandering at this point, so I want to know if I'm making false judgement or not.
I've been really hyped about this game for the past... year. I haven't played it though and I might get it. I just dk if I should wait for it to drop below 40 dollars or not.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Does anyone know if Lego Worlds is worth a purchase? I always loved to build Legos as a kid but don't have many now unfortunately (and new sets cost a lot these days). I mainly want to try Lego Worlds so I can build my own Lego City and have fun in it, as well as create other areas like haunted houses, ice worlds, etc. Is it a good enough Lego creator?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if Lego Worlds is worth a purchase? I always loved to build Legos as a kid but don't have many now unfortunately (and new sets cost a lot these days). I mainly want to try Lego Worlds so I can build my own Lego City and have fun in it, as well as create other areas like haunted houses, ice worlds, etc. Is it a good enough Lego creator?
I know the fanbase is horrible, but if you want digital Legos why not Minecraft? Later versions lost their focus IMO, but the launcher lets you install older versions if you like. I'm on Beta 1.5_01

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know the fanbase is horrible, but if you want digital Legos why not Minecraft? Later versions lost their focus IMO, but the launcher lets you install older versions if you like. I'm on Beta 1.5_01
Minecraft has never really appealed to me. I prefer Legos since I grew up with them, and like you said the Minecraft community is toxic (mostly just little kids that swear a lot).

finalark

SNORLAX
I take all that back...

Super Castlevania 4 son
I actually never really cared much for IV. I still firmly believe that Rondo of Blood is the best of the Classicvanias /unpopular opinions.

Anyway, if you're into Castlevania I do highly recommend Bloodborne. The atmosphere and style is very similar, as is the game play. It's challenging, requires you to be patient and aware of your environments, and the controls are designed to be tough to learn but solid once you've mastered them.

Cardboardtubeknight

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
4914-7294-5851
I actually never really cared much for IV. I still firmly believe that Rondo of Blood is the best of the Classicvanias /unpopular opinions.

Anyway, if you're into Castlevania I do highly recommend Bloodborne. The atmosphere and style is very similar, as is the game play. It's challenging, requires you to be patient and aware of your environments, and the controls are designed to be tough to learn but solid once you've mastered them.
For sure! Thanks

Now I played No Man's Sky at a friends place, what are your opinions on that?

Top Bottom