• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think was Super Smash Bros. Melee's biggest fault?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The sheer fact that any n00b who knows how to hold a controller can get Fox to do anything.

-.- I hate how everyone idolizes him SO much
Lol, if fox makes one mistake vs most characters his fastfalling nature sets him up for some death combos, DK can shut him down, falco, captain falcon, Marths chaingrab especially. Fox is a great character but to use him you have to be careful, his recovery is quite obvious aswell and easy to hit IMO.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
The sheer fact that any n00b who knows how to hold a controller can get Fox to do anything.

-.- I hate how everyone idolizes him SO much
Wow... I must suck really really bad... I don't idolize him, I despise him mostly. Yet I respect him as a character I want him just a little nerfed.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
Items were way too nerfed.

Everyone and their mom picked up Sheik or Marth in the early days.

El HP

Smash Ace
IMO not all the clones are pointless some actually added more variety to the game like falco, ganon and even Y.link while their moves are similar their style is different some of them I agree are a waste of time like pichu, roy and dr. mario while doc is a good character he is just a stronger mario.

As for the balance issue the main problem is that fast characters like fox, falco, sheik etc are too powerful I mean why is fox u-smash so strong? he is a fast character he is supposed to have weak attacks, peach d-smash probably the most overpowered move in melee why not give to someone who actually needs it like bowser? if this is fixed in brawl the game would be fairly balanced.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If think that if SSBM had online, the competitive metagame would not have advanced as much, and it wouldn't be as social a game as it is now. The best part of Melee for me is going to smashfests and tourneys to play with guys in your neighborhood. I just don't think there would have been as many social smash gatherings if it were online.

Plus there would've been lag.
Big games always have social tournaments regardless of online. A prime example is Halo 2 [yes you can flame me now].

It uses some of the best online of it's time and people stay play at MLG. From what I hear the major problems are cheaters, modders and prepubescent kids cursing in high pitch tones when their moms are out of hearing range. Other than that it's a decent online game that still has the power to bring people together at tournaments.

JPW

Smash Ace
there were none in my view.... i gave this a perfect 10. I enjoyed everything from this game. And I hope can do the same for me.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The Balence, and yes this is odd coming from a fox player >__>

I just hated the fact that my U-smash was faster AND stronger than most, that just doesn't make sense..

Make the slower stronger, so that characters like gannondorf can be good at levels like FD, just through crazy mindgame setups!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
IMO not all the clones are pointless some actually added more variety to the game like falco, ganon and even Y.link while their moves are similar their style is different some of them I agree are a waste of time like pichu, roy and dr. mario while doc is a good character he is just a stronger mario.

As for the balance issue the main problem is that fast characters like fox, falco, sheik etc are too powerful I mean why is fox u-smash so strong? he is a fast character he is supposed to have weak attacks, peach d-smash probably the most overpowered move in melee why not give to someone who actually needs it like bowser? if this is fixed in brawl the game would be fairly balanced.
lol, yeah i also think that the little vulpine is strangely overpowered.

I mean, he is small and kinda cute, but ALL of his tilts and smashes are a barrage of despair to anyone. specially his tilts and air attacks,,,are fast and very strong, and can be spammed, like the up tilt

Its kinda weird.

WIND SMASHER X

Smash Cadet
Clones actually are quite different in most cases. I'm a Falco user and yesterday I decided to try out Fox for fun so I read up on how to play Fox and I still sucked horribly. It made lol because I realized how different some clones actually are.

I still don't want them to have cloned movesets in Brawl though :p

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
As the game has aged, one of the very few gripes I've come to realize is the soundtrack. All the music is fantastic, but much of it isn't well suited as fighting music. (especially the Peach Castle tune).

Brawl's samplers seem to have fixed this nitpick for me. Excellent.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Oh yes that too... I didn't like some of the music at times.. Made it feel kind of epic in a different way. Not like a fighting game... Probably the one I can remember right now is the Pokemon Stadium.. Not quite fighting music in my opinion..

The recent Star Fox one was golden to me... and the Ridley fight sounded like a Mortal Kombat fight theme...

I guess it just has to fit in with the stage.. Cause the Yoshi one seemed a bit too.. happy to be a fighting game.. But I approve.. Except for the Yoshi voice..

hue_jass

Smash Cadet
I don't hate against clones, the reason they made em in, was that it's a lot less balancing, bug fixing and program work to whip out a clone then a completley original skeleton and moveset. I mean sure I would prefer all original characters but I think the reason so many made it in was that it was just less work and I'm grateful for all the characters I can get (save for pichu. WHY oh why?). It is quite obvious in the time they had a decision was made to start cloning characters and save on production time, this is why G-dorfs sword never made it in and the clones got the same movesets and skeletons. If you say no clones, they woulda had to drop 6 characters and definatley woudln't have been able to add 6 unique ones.

but maybe I'm biased as I somehow main 3 of the clones

my biggest niggle was balance which has been beaten to death, and lack of custimization in all the special melees. The one thing I would say about balance is that of course balance wasn't perfect on release as most of the metagame and tech just hadn't been discovered or perfect and hence wasn't a big deal, plus it's even more complex to balance the tournament level metagame and keep the scrub/noob level balanced as well. I think that the only way the game could be balanced would be continual reviews and patches much like Halo or world of warcraft. Balance has always been a big issue and I've been a tournament player in it. However Blizzard makes an honest attempt at balance and had character reviews for 2 years straight constantly sorting bugs, tightening gameplay and balancing character mechanics.
I would be happy with even a little more balance aka 13 or so characters being tournament viable, or just smaller disparities in certain matchups but with such a big roster I doubt that will be possible

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
The alarmingly high ratio of clones:fighters.

Falco's voice in the English version.

But those are the only things that really bothered me.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Falco sounds different in other versions? Is there a vid of this on youtube? I'd like to hear it. Jigglypuff's also fun to hear on other versions...

Midna

Smash Apprentice
Kirby was nerfed to 1134
Hammers were nerfed to 1134
Bombs were nerfed
LandMines were nerfed
Too many gay moving stages
Great Fox was smaller
Sucky throws
Sucky Shields

WHAT TO DO:
1. oppositize all the aforementioned.

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
Adventure was a tad boring, needed more 1P modes, Pichu, minor glitches, Luigi's stupid AI.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The community made tiers not Melee. Every game has tiers, you just need to do research.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it

wilson7913

Smash Cadet
It was a deadly game. However, I do enjoy the original 64 release more for some reason. I think the throws were too effective in 64 but not effective enough in GC. Let's get this figured out for Brawl please.

If it doesn't have online play I will break my Wii.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's obviously the clones.

They didn't bother me much because I've always loved SSB for what it is... Just fighting between characters from different game series. New characters add on another level even if they're clones. Still if they keep the characters like Falco and Roy (which I loved both and hope for both to return) they need to give them different movesets.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
It was a deadly game. However, I do enjoy the original 64 release more for some reason. I think the throws were too effective in 64 but not effective enough in GC. Let's get this figured out for Brawl please.
Erm... chainthrowing... Mewtwos/Dks/Mario/doc's backthrow throws you really far...

Fox upthrow to upsmash on fox or falco..

fox upthrow to upair on marth (works pretty much everytime)

ANything to do with shieks downthrow..

really, throw's in my opinion were much better in melee, 4 directions and you can auto DI a throw where as in ssb64 the only move you cant DI is a throw.

The throwing system in melee was amazing, I dont see how you can find faults with it. Sure ssb64 had stronger throws, but melee's multiple throw system and jabs while holding the guy led for a much better ''set up game'' with your throws.

Oh yeah, and uh, captain falcon. Percentage based throws... knees. yeah..

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
freeman123;2557623[quote said:
a previous quote
]It didn't have online play.
a previous quote
It should have online play.[/quote]

QFT

*notices Dylan isnt here* Wave-Dashing. . .melee's BIGGEST downfall was wavedashing
Duh that was a joke, Wd added to the competitive side of the game. . .you can stop highlighting this. nothing more to see. seriously now. STOP.. . . .narf

Sheik's moves where ridiculous IMO, and clones such as gannon (ESP! pichu) where equally horrible.
And of course. . .the no KO stage, Hyrule Temple. Its a great level but its has way too much 'running away room'

now on the flipside. . .Melee did contain the greatest thing ever: The Knee

In Conclusion:
They need to keep all stages small-medLRG, and not insanely huge like Hyrule Temple. Bash Unnessecary clones, (im going to get HATED for this) NERF the shine. and KEEP THE KNEE!

Top Bottom