• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think was Super Smash Bros. Melee's biggest fault?

Breakfast

Smash Apprentice
The clones or eccess lame levels.....Game and Watches.......Ice Climbers could have a sweet one but it sucked.....

Personnally though,......I cried when I saw the first glimpse of Brawl..........I've been waiting since ssb64 to see Meta-Knight fly (tear)

Breakfast

Smash Apprentice
PS Hyrule Temple is freakin awsome!!!!!!!!
With Link......I fought both my bros and a buddy (Who could all take two or more lvl 9 comps at a time with the characters they chose) in a 6 stock battle and brought them all down to 2...........I couldn't of done that without the ability to run and the oh so famous PIT OF IMORTALITY!!!! I just call it the pit but now Pit is a character......
They need at least one Hyrule!!

waldoahkmed

Smash Rookie
Waiting, following your every movement...
I, personally, think that SOME clones aren't that bad. *Cough*Ganon/Cpt. Falcon*Cough* But the whole Mario/Doc Mario thing was horrible.

Falling through certain stages needs to be looked at.

Some characters need to be buffed up.

And last but CERTAINLY not least, more variety in characters.

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
How do clones take away from the game? Like I mean how would the game be better if Dr. Mario was not in the game? I mean it would probably be better if he was his own charecters, but the fact that they put him in didn't HURT the game, it just didn't help it that much. Perhaps I am missing something.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I like how how most people say clones. Mario and Dr. Mario are probably the most similar characters in the game yet they're still different enough to have a character inbetween them in the tier list. How Fox and Falco have completely different playstyles (I ask you to show me a move of Fox's that is exactly like Falco's).

I hate the fact that when you look at the hitboxes of moves and grabs you'd honestly think the devs where drunk or something while making them. How was it so hard for them to see that Sheik would be a much better char than Zelda.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
I like how how most people say clones. Mario and Dr. Mario are probably the most similar characters in the game yet they're still different enough to have a character inbetween them in the tier list. How Fox and Falco have completely different playstyles (I ask you to show me a move of Fox's that is exactly like Falco's).

I hate the fact that when you look at the hitboxes of moves and grabs you'd honestly think the devs where drunk or something while making them. How was it so hard for them to see that Sheik would be a much better char than Zelda.
#1 problem: Shiek.

red stone

Smash Ace
the gap between pichu and marth. this should not be the case. i think all characters should have consideration at pro level.

i mean there will always be tiers but make them closer like the difference between marth and fox. fox is higher but that doesn't count marth out at all in any respect

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
People always say, "don't nerf anyone, just make the others better." but what's the difference, really?

it needs Madden-style instant replay.

also: you must try to remember that the game is incredibly balanced outside of extremely high skill levels. At those kinds of levels, where every portion of the game is understood and flawlessly executed, the tiniest flaw or advantage of a character is going to create those kinds of huge tier gaps.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
also: you must try to remember that the game is incredibly balanced outside of extremely high skill levels. At those kinds of levels, where every portion of the game is understood and flawlessly executed, the tiniest flaw or advantage of a character is going to create those kinds of huge tier gaps.

Bingo,in other words,this games biggest flaw is the lack attention it draws in for"casual"players,which Brawl is seemingly doing correct this time around so far.A person shouldnt have to learn to L-cancel and such in order to just have a slim chance at winning.That only creates disintrest to most that dont have the time to learn the unique timing requirements for each of the "advanced"techs,therefore the reasoning on seeing things so far in Brawl appearing to be"eased"than techincal.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I really don't know why this thread is still alive here. It isn't a general Brawl topic; it's a general Melee topic...

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
Melee's biggest fault?

Easy.

Makes too many other games look like crap by comparison.

And it came out before Viewtiful Joe, thus meaning it was impossible for Joe to be in it.

Oh, and something about Wavewhatevers and Advanced Techwhosits.

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
well it's not the biggest flaw (most of them have already been mentioned) but they should have separated sheik and zelda

susu_atari

Smash Ace
In my opinion, clone characters were the worst thing, and the fact that you can't fully customize your battles, event mode style.
Also, online play sucks, and serves only to fuel antisocial behaviour, but I suppose if they put it in Brawl, it couldn't hurt.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
i think its biggest fault was how dramatically worse some characters were than others. like bowser, pichu, and ness being much worse from his self in SSB64.

and online play.

R0D4N

Smash Cadet
What the hell is with people *****ing about the balance of a game??

The only thing that is unbalanced is the skill of the person holding the controller. If you are whining about the cheapness of a character, then you are making excuses. EXCUSES. It stands a huge chance that you made no effort to improve yourself against the same tactics that ***** your face off, and instead, you decided to call the characters unbalanced. YES, some are (substantially) faster than others, but they require tons of combos and small attacks to rack up damage. The slower ones (Ganondorf, Peach) are still competetive. It just depends on the player.

I'm thinking that everyone who complains about balance doesn't know how to WD well.

Of course, some characters are just really bad and hard to win with (Pichu comes to mind). But if you're playing with them, you're a bad smasher and should switch your mains.
But the thing is that people shouldn't have to switch there mains. Just because they use a "lower teir" character doesn't make them a bad smasher. Characters are unbalanced. Oh and your right, I don't know how to WD. And frankly I don't care if people call other characters cheap or not. All I know is that some characters are underpowered. I am by no means saying that the other characters should be nerfed just that the weaker ones should be buffed up.

Link vs. Marth
Mart may be quicker than Link but Link has slightly more power.

Pikachu vs. Pichu
Pikachu is in all way shape and form better. There is nothing else to it.

My point is that if a character is going to exist it should be able to compete with another character and have it's own strengths and weaknesses.

And sorry if I seem to be all over the place. It's really hard to type on a Wii. ;-)

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Melee's biggest flaw was speed. The game was a bit too fast paced and the game engine was based to much around following this. Making it so fast=safe in almost all cases, even though very fast stuff would still lead to crazy damage. Because of the way it was put together it really lacked traditional mix up poking (which is something I would of really enjoyed in the game). I feel that there should of been a few more advanced techniques to add more depth to the game, and ones that were even more obviously implanted into the game. (having special effects for wavedashing, and cancels). I feel the game needs to be less focused on being fast all the time. I talk more about it in one of my own topic about shield stun changes I would like.

CoupDeRidley

Smash Rookie
I think Melee's biggest fault was that the levels were too small in my opinion. And moving levels were terrible.

Also, there were too few characters; when I play, I play 4 player free-for-all, and repetition of characters is always an issue.

Top Bottom