• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think was Super Smash Bros. Melee's biggest fault?

Natariel

Smash Rookie
And how would you like to see this improved upon in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Blackadder

Smash Master
Heathen. >;[
(jk, jk)
Seriously? It doesn't have many faults.
Most of them are just glitches or other nitpicks.
I don't think there's anything really annoying about the game myself.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Kekeke. This will turn into a brutal argument about balance. I know it.

Don't get me wrong, Melee is quite balanced for a fighting game.
On the other hand, you have some characters with maybe one obvious weakness opposed to some characters with maybe one obvious strength.
And the tiers weren't influenced THAT much by stuff like wavedashing. Luigi's the best wavedasher and Mewtwo's close, but that didn't help them much. With most characters, it was obvious from the very beginning which ones suck and which ones rock.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Natariel
What do you think was Super Smash Bros. Melee's biggest fault?
It didn't have online play.

Natariel
And how would you like to see this improved upon in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
It should have online play.

:034:

Smash Hero
'Special Modes' that weren't all that special (Stamina, Lighting, Slow-Mo, Single Button..).

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
Pichu without a doubt.
Lol, but we've got to have someone to beat up on . . .

The most common complaint I get from my buddies is that the hit detection might be just a tad off. For example, this one guy claims that he's tried to hit Link on the head while he's in the down+a move, and he takes damage from Link's head. I haven't looked at it myself, but it's a possibility.

Online play would be cool.

I think if the physics of the game were revisited, then I'd be happy. That's the only questionable thing I had about the game.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
no online play

adventure mode didn't have enough variety

everything about fox, falco, and shiek.

unpolished backgrounds

some glitches here and there.

clones

crates, barrels, and capsules cant be turned off.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Melee is a near perfect game.

Yes, it had useless stuff like L-canceling, but that's a very minor thing.

So, the only way to improve melee would be to balance the game a bit.

We don't need to nerf the top tiers, just crank up the low tiers.

MEWTWO ZERO TO DEATH COMBOS FOR BRAWL!!!

SGX

Smash Journeyman
There are several things I have issues with in melee, so here we go:

Teching:

To me it feels slightly wrong or off. You have to hit R well before you actually hit the ground, and even then, the timing feels inconsistent depending on what move you get hit with. In any other game with teching, you time your button press with your landing impact.

Edge rolling:

Obviously, when someone is grabbing the ledge, you cannot grab the same ledge. My problem is that when the person grabbing the ledge presses R to roll onto the platform, the ledge is still considered "occupied" until their roll animation finishes. (Even though they are no longer even near the edge) I think this was just an oversight and something that could be easily fixed.

L-cancelling
I find it pointless that I should have to L-cancel all of my aerials. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't do it. Hell, a lot of characters you HAVE to do it. It's just a nuisance.
In any fighting game, a "cancel" means you trade off something. Be it damage, super meter, vulnerability, whatever.

If they actually wanted to implement aerial canceling in Brawl. (say, canceling Aerials into ground tilts as you land) That could be interesting, if there was some sort of trade off in say damage. But regardless, if they remove L-canceling in Brawl, they should adjust the characters aerial move recovery accordingly, so we don't end up with laggy aerials.

Stage Recovery:
Keeping someone off the stage that's trying to recover is relatively easy. In Brawl, I would like to see the battle between the on stage and off stage player a LITTLE bit more even. Up B's having a slightly shorter recovery time on landing I think would be ok.

That's all thats really coming to mind right now. We don't really know how Brawl will be balanced, so I can't say much on that.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
One thing that really upset me was that you couldn't use the C-Stick in one player mode which is very essential for aierals. It made me not want to go in training mode at all and it made one player mode a bit more difficult, espically some of the event matches. I'll be very disapointed if we can't' use the C-Stick in Brawl.

The other thing is what someone else said, the fact that you couldn't turn off crates and barrels and exploding junk.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The clones. The problem is we got carbon copies in exchange for original characters. I'd rather have two more original characters then the 6 clones(although I'm glad they added Falco). I think they'll fix it in Brawl though. They have had a lot of time with this game.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Melee is a hella fun game, but it had some bif flaws that were overshadowed by the great gameplay and diversityof the game:

1- Very lacklustre single player mode. For a game of this caliber, which is the best of the best, the all star meeting of nintendo, it has maybe the crappiest single player of all nintendo games. Withous sense, with little imagination and replay value, a craapy ending boss. I mean, this really sucked in comparison with the vs mode which was the only thing everyone played.

2- Unbalanced roster. There were overpoweered players for sure. Between the top tiers they can trade some blows yeah, but almost half of the players of melee are simply "not good enough" to compete seriously against the stronger foes. Every game have balance issues, but in Brawl, where each chareacter have some different pshychcs, and are more notable than in other games, the distance between lets say, Sheik or Fox and Mewtwo, is very noticeable.
Heck, they are not even too many overpoweerd characters, but a lot of underperformers.
Yes you can kick *** lets say , with bowser, but you have to do A LOT of effort more than the other one using sheik.

3-Clones.
Players with almost the same sprite and exactly equeals moves, which hit just slightly different.
IMO, the epitome of rushing, the result of lack of players to show and some proof of lack of creativity.

Hopefully, the creators are working a lot in this issues. Is well known that hey have been working on Brawl extensvely, and im very sure that AT LEAST the single player mode will be upgraded.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I really, really, don't understand why ppl complain about clones when there's like 20 original characters already.

More characters =/= better game
Not so. It;'s no fun playing as a ccharacter wwho is just like another. More original characters give more fun, and more playability. Besides Falco and Fox, I don't play the clones.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I seriously don't know why people hate on the clones so much....

Seriously, clones would take SOOO much less time to make than originals. Would you rather like 21 original characters in Melee or 26?

Original characters are awesome, but even with more dev time, I'd still want them to stick in a few copies to beef up the roster anyway.

If you can have more characters anyway, why not take the clones?

Natariel

Smash Rookie
Thank you for all your responses. As the game enters its final stages of production, these things are very good to hear. I hope we will all enjoy playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl soon!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Not so. It;'s no fun playing as a ccharacter wwho is just like another. More original characters give more fun, and more playability. Besides Falco and Fox, I don't play the clones.
The thing is, Ganon and Falco are hardly clones in their own right. They have several unique attack animations and the rest of their attacks are the same animation as their ''clone'' but have completly different effects.

Also factor in general speed / traction / weight and you'll see that ganon and falco practically are original characters with animations borrowed from capt. and fox, and this is why they play so different than anyone else.

Dr mario and mario is a true ''clone'' situation in my eyes however since all the animations are the same and the differences are minute. From the fact that marios fair knocks link upwards in the brawl trailer im thinking they might have just given mario the best features of mario/doc and left doc out.

Who knows.

Melee's biggest problem is that its not online... yet. Aside from that there's nothing wrong with it.

And no, the game isn't imbalanced. I do think that some of the low / mid tier characters need some buffing but I am very much against nerfing fox/falco/marth/sheik/peach.

I don't think they're overpowered characters, just characters made right ;)

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Melee is a hella fun game, but it had some bif flaws that were overshadowed by the great gameplay and diversityof the game:

1- Very lacklustre single player mode. For a game of this caliber, which is the best of the best, the all star meeting of nintendo, it has maybe the crappiest single player of all nintendo games. Withous sense, with little imagination and replay value, a craapy ending boss. I mean, this really sucked in comparison with the vs mode which was the only thing everyone played.

2- Unbalanced roster. There were overpoweered players for sure. Between the top tiers they can trade some blows yeah, but almost half of the players of melee are simply "not good enough" to compete seriously against the stronger foes. Every game have balance issues, but in Brawl, where each chareacter have some different pshychcs, and are more notable than in other games, the distance between lets say, Sheik or Fox and Mewtwo, is very noticeable.
Heck, they are not even too many overpoweerd characters, but a lot of underperformers.
Yes you can kick *** lets say , with bowser, but you have to do A LOT of effort more than the other one using sheik.

3-Clones.
Players with almost the same sprite and exactly equeals moves, which hit just slightly different.
IMO, the epitome of rushing, the result of lack of players to show and some proof of lack of creativity.

Hopefully, the creators are working a lot in this issues. Is well known that hey have been working on Brawl extensvely, and im very sure that AT LEAST the single player mode will be upgraded.
Pretty much everything I would say. Especially the Clones thing.

J4ke

Smash Cadet
ganon's uptilt isnt exactly pointless, slow moves like that go in saying that the 1v1 game can sometimes seem broken. 1v1 the move sucks, however theres much more to the game than just 1v1, despite what many people think.

I can land that move in a free for all every once in a while.

Caael

Smash Lord
Graphics. It was made in 2001, sure, but seriously, they could have spent a little more time on making the effects 3D. Like, when you hit somebody, the damage bubble will be 2D, and that annoys me.

Other than that, it's awesome.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Like people said before, a lack of balance. Too many underpowered characters.

I personally don't mind some clones (I main Falco) unless they're too similar like Doc...

I want some better stages. Having like half the stages in the game banned is kinda... yeah. Some diversity would be nice.

Maybe the ability to turn off random stage effects. That'd be nice for tournaments.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I seriously don't know why people hate on the clones so much....

Seriously, clones would take SOOO much less time to make than originals. Would you rather like 21 original characters in Melee or 26?

Original characters are awesome, but even with more dev time, I'd still want them to stick in a few copies to beef up the roster anyway.

If you can have more characters anyway, why not take the clones?
I'd rather have 21 original characters. It's just more fun to have a larger veriety of characters

Dylan_Tnga said:
The thing is, Ganon and Falco are hardly clones in their own right. They have several unique attack animations and the rest of their attacks are the same animation as their ''clone'' but have completly different effects.

Also factor in general speed / traction / weight and you'll see that ganon and falco practically are original characters with animations borrowed from capt. and fox, and this is why they play so different than anyone else.
Yeah, you are right. To me though, he felt like a heavy Capt. Falcon. It may be that I can understand Falco as a clone, but Ganondorf as a clone of Capt. Falcon doesn't sit well. I also don't play Capt. Falcon much so that may be it(doing more, love the knee)

Eaode

Smash Champion
Ganon is really different from CF. CF is all about speed and capitalizing on mistakes with combos, wheras Ganon is like..... just hit them 5 times and they die xD

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Melee's biggest fault?

1-P Mode.

All of it.

And online play i suppose.

Top Bottom