• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think of link?

ShootFrank

Smash Rookie
What do you all think of link overall of his progression from ssb64->ssbm->ssbb.

which game was he best in? did he improve? did he get worse?

and one more question, does he have more range then marth?

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
In ssb64, Link was considered to be at the bottom of the game. In Melee, he was at the top of Low Tier, but some players were able to play Link so well that he was able to compete vs. some of the top tier characters and win (Fox, Falco, Marth, etc.). In Brawl, Link's poor recovery pretty much limits him from being a true beast. His offense and defense have their strengths, and can he fight toe to toe with anybody until he starts getting pushed off over the edge; thats when his craptastic recovery makes him weaksauce. His up-B was nerfed to hell, and despite days of practicing ways to advance the uses of the up-B, it still is nowhere as good as it used to be. Especially in light of diminishing returns from attacks.

I'd say Melee Link was best, then Brawl Link. SSB64 Link just didn't have any true abuse to him like other characters.

napZzz

Smash Hero
In brawl he lives in toon links shadow. In melee his up+b used at the edge was awesome and cheap. He was'nt bad if you knew him (aniki). In 64 he was just there. Why would you ask a stupid ? like that about marth? Range does'nt matter if you have good spacing

12ain

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, brawl Link is the best Link up to date. He is fun to play with, despite having many flaws, I personally love the character so regardless of what others say - Link being a low tier - Link still rocks. I love his costumes especially the gold tunic and best of all his Final Smash is deadly with setup and looks the best out of all the Final Smashes.

As for the range of both Marth and Link's melee attacks, I'm unsure. "I think" The length and reach differs from all their attacks :urg:

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, brawl Link is the best Link up to date. He is fun to play with, despite having many flaws, I personally love the character so regardless of what others say - Link being a low tier - Link still rocks. I love his costumes especially the gold tunic and best of all his Final Smash is deadly with setup and looks the best out of all the Final Smashes. :urg:
So true I use Link no matter what everyone says and I don't always win but I don't get badly pwned either.
I've come to think that people here is now obsessed with combos and also try to find something to make their character of choice have a bigger advantage over everyone else, but rather than using an over powered character like snake I use Link and most of the time I win I do it out thinking the guy using snake and I'm ok if I dont win because there is always another day and the guy using snake is not winning is teaching me to kill him :chuckle:

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Link is far more of a tactical character in Brawl than he was in Melee. He's not too different than Snake in the sense that his moves all require precise timing, placement, and spacing to work to their full potential. He is no longer the beginner friendly character that he was before, (that spot was given to Toon Link).

12ain

Smash Rookie
mad respects still, you don't pick the character that you believe will most likely win and come up to the top, but you pick the one you personally like and enjoy playing with. I love the conception and artwork of Link, he looks absolutely amazing, a guy with a long sword and big shield is complete bad *** and not to mention how geared up he is. But honestly, the more time and dedication you put on one character he will turn out good despite being low tier what so ever. My friends don't even know what a tier is, and I didn't understand what it was until it was long introduced to SSB and SSBM. I didn't give a **** what it was, but I was really angry to see Link turn out at the bottom. But still Link kicks ***, I don't think he sucks at all.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
To be good with Link you need to be good at a lot of things.
Personally, I think knowing way too much about the animations and such helps immensely.
I absolutely love his standing A jab, it's such a great "hey go away" move.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
I actually personally believe Link was at his best in SSB64.
Even though he was at the bottom of the tier list/considered the worst character; once you got a combo going, it was amazing.
The only real problem with him in SSB64 was his recovery.
His recovery was pretty amazing in Melee, and if played extremely, extremely well, you could manage to go against top-tiers in Melee, however, the chances of that happening were so low, that only one Link player could actually do it.
Brawl?
Link's recovery shoots him in the foot again, and his lack of natural combos leave him at a bad disadvantage against a lot of characters.

-Nox`

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Link is good if in the right hands. I probably could whoop half of the h8rs in this thread using projectiles alone:). lol. Just kidding. Other characters are just better at things link isn't. Link can camp really well and also can dish out damage like no ones business. Marth, for example, can keep people on their toes up close. Link isn't worse, just different.

Unknown17

Smash Ace
In my opinion, brawl Link is the best Link up to date. He is fun to play with, despite having many flaws, I personally love the character so regardless of what others say - Link being a low tier - Link still rocks. I love his costumes especially the gold tunic and best of all his Final Smash is deadly with setup and looks the best out of all the Final Smashes.

As for the range of both Marth and Link's melee attacks, I'm unsure. "I think" The length and reach differs from all their attacks :urg:
I agree with that...Link is a great...is just the ppl that uses him don't know his potential...using Link helps u knowing things on how ur opponent moves n finding weaknesses so u can improve them n use them up to ur avantage...it shows even ur slow u still have a shot at it...in order to defeat ur opponent like Marth that has a longer sword makes u wanna think on what will work on him...i say that's how u become a great player not only with Link but with others...trying to figure out ur opponents moves n use them against him...Link is still a beast...n in order to prove that to ppl u should have a match with them n show them what Link is capable of doing *smiles*....u got to remember that Link is a power type so u have to think hard on him n on ur opponent...not to offend anyone so plz don't get mad n try to kill me...

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I agree with that...Link is a great...is just the ppl that uses him don't know his potential...using Link helps u knowing things on how ur opponent moves n finding weaknesses so u can improve them n use them up to ur avantage...it shows even ur slow u still have a shot at it...in order to defeat ur opponent like Marth that has a longer sword makes u wanna think on what will work on him...i say that's how u become a great player not only with Link but with others...trying to figure out ur opponents moves n use them against him...Link is still a beast...n in order to prove that to ppl u should have a match with them n show them what Link is capable of doing *smiles*....u got to remember that Link is a power type so u have to think hard on him n on ur opponent...not to offend anyone so plz don't get mad n try to kill me...
I don't think most people can follow what you're saying... The lack of grammar usually doesn't bother me... but in this case it was so hard to follow... Sometimes it's necessary to communicate clearly... and not assume everyone knows what a Rick Roll... is...

Marth and Link are often compared because they were the two swordsman (farewell Roy T_T) in Melee. Now in Brawl, it just carries on. They are not similar characters at all in most regards. Unless you're trying to find Marth specific tips with Link, it'd probably just be half-hearted clutter in this thread. There are other threads discussing Link and Marth. Use search!

12ain

Smash Rookie
For sure man, Link is all about skill, but really you can be good with any characters that have exploited weaknesses like Link himself, Jiggly, Bowser and the low tier characters. Maybe there is a great player out there who hasn't surfaced yet but will show his/her face in time. But back on track, Link is picked up slowly and not a good character for beginners but if someone decides to main one character to their interest regardless of having many flaws, mad respects still. You don't play to win or pick a character thats ranked up there, well maybe if you are competitive, but if you really like one character, stick with him/her. I feel really discouraged to see how some players say Link will never make it to the top, or win tournaments but I won't let that stop me from maining Link. It's his play style and character conception that really appeals to me. Link is all about adapting to his surroundings and opponents. I think with the ability to adapt, a player who knows the concept of this can win even with a low placed tier character. Link is really that good, if you give him time and dedication like any character. Strategy and technique dominates brute strength and that is what Link specializes in, he is a strategist who is a force to be reckoned with.

CHerring

Smash Apprentice
I love Link and I refuse to play anyone else. If I lose every match because of that then fine. He's been my guy since the first Smash Bros and will continue to be

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
I love Link and I refuse to play anyone else. If I lose every match because of that then fine. He's been my guy since the first Smash Bros and will continue to be
wow thats dedication.
Im sure all of us will play Link forever and we all did in 64, but at least find more characters to play cause sakurai didn't waste time putting 34 other characters for nothing

Unknown17

Smash Ace
For sure man, Link is all about skill, but really you can be good with any characters that have exploited weaknesses like Link himself, Jiggly, Bowser and the low tier characters. Maybe there is a great player out there who hasn't surfaced yet but will show his/her face in time. But back on track, Link is picked up slowly and not a good character for beginners but if someone decides to main one character to their interest regardless of having many flaws, mad respects still. You don't play to win or pick a character thats ranked up there, well maybe if you are competitive, but if you really like one character, stick with him/her. I feel really discouraged to see how some players say Link will never make it to the top, or win tournaments but I won't let that stop me from maining Link. It's his play style and character conception that really appeals to me. Link is all about adapting to his surroundings and opponents. I think with the ability to adapt, a player who knows the concept of this can win even with a low placed tier character. Link is really that good, if you give him time and dedication like any character. Strategy and technique dominates brute strength and that is what Link specializes in, he is a strategist who is a force to be reckoned with.
Yap u should always show what u got n prove ppl wrong...

Sorry if u didn't understand it Henry *smiles*...

Browny

Smash Hater
I think hes awesome in brawl. certain characters i cant beat with TL (like falco, olimar) my Adult link just tears them apart. he feels like a different character alltogether. His grab range in brawl is the most fun to abuse, especially when it grabs right at the end of its range, the clawshow just hangs in mid-air for a moment then suddenly the enemy is pulled by some invisible force into it :D

12ain

Smash Rookie
I think hes awesome in brawl. certain characters i cant beat with TL (like falco, olimar) my Adult link just tears them apart. he feels like a different character alltogether. His grab range in brawl is the most fun to abuse, especially when it grabs right at the end of its range, the clawshow just hangs in mid-air for a moment then suddenly the enemy is pulled by some invisible force into it :D
lol, I know what you mean, there are so many times I thought I would miss a grab but in a miracle, the hook shot extends itself and latches onto the opponent. Should see the reaction on your face and the opponents :O

shinkenyama

Smash Rookie
What do you all think of link overall of his progression from ssb64->ssbm->ssbb.

which game was he best in? did he improve? did he get worse?

and one more question, does he have more range then marth?

Link (not toon link) seems to have more range than Marth now in brawl. I noticed how in brawl, they considerably shortened Marth's sword range and slowed down his standard standing sword slashes. Really though, in my opinion, Toon Link is better than Link because his attacks seem to have better knockback, are quicker though shorter range, and seem to do more damage. Plus he's smaller so it's harder to hit him. I also like his boomerang more than Link's wind boomerang.

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
Link isn't a -bad- character. He's got some good hitters, and some great projectiles (unabsorbable) but his recovery is so easy to gimp.

i.e. DK cargo, carry off stage just far enough to dthrow, DK gets back, Link doomed. Gimp kills are lame, and are not absent vrs Link

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
I Think Link Is a graet Character I Dont main him But i Use Him and TLink alot.

I personaly think that T Link is Easier to Use than link ,but Link Can do Very well once U dedicate some time to playing as him and can even be better than T Link against Certain Characters(But Thats Just My Opinion)

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
link's a terrible character and should have never existed clearly
Are you kidding me?! You may say Link is terrible, but saying that he should have never existed?! Why the hate on Link? Why do you main him, if you think that way of him? I'm starting to lose respect for you. I will await your updated guide, Aurashade.

Amide

Smash Lord
He would be amazing if it weren't for his awful recovery, but if you can overcome that, he's not awful. It would be nice if they made him a little faster, but he's heavier than you'd expect, too.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Are you kidding me?! You may say Link is terrible, but saying that he should have never existed?! Why the hate on Link? Why do you main him, if you think that way of him? I'm starting to lose respect for you. I will await your updated guide, Aurashade.
It's called accepting what your main is. If you havn't noticed, there is only three proven good Links here. Aura is one of them. Deva and Skler are the other two.

Do see the trend here or must I explain further?

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
It's called accepting what your main is. If you havn't noticed, there is only three proven good Links here. Aura is one of them. Deva and Skler are the other two.

Do see the trend here or must I explain further?
What about Legan, Izaw, or ArkiveZero? Also, I haven't seen Aurashade in any videos. Have you personally seen him use Link?

TwinTurbo

Smash Cadet
i love link and thoroughly enjoy playing him...but it must be stated that playing link is going against alot of statistical opposition. He is defnitely a bad character, statistically and tier-wise. But he is a great character when u realize how fun and cool he is.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
What about Legan, Izaw, or ArkiveZero? Also, I haven't seen Aurashade in any videos. Have you personally seen him use Link?
Izaw is good, very good. I dunno why though I think Deva and slker would get mind games on him.

Skler said Aura is good. I don't remember where though.

I didn't get a chance to look at Arkives archives (YES PUN!) but I'd assume he's in the same boat with Izaw.

Legan I honestly never looked into....

Top Bottom