• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you guys say when people bash the ICs?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i always hear people bashing them and when i show them vids of Chu and others they just say 'meh, i'm not impressed' or some ****. it just really gets on my nerves and i wanted to know how you guys respond to those kinds of people.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I respond to them by beating them with my ICs. But sometimes my friends go and say "Chaingrabbing is not pro and people that do it and claim they're pro aren't." or even say "There's two people, it's like a 2 vs 1, play someone else like Ganondor cause he's not cheap". It's the norm for me to hear that. Sometimes when people get angry at me, they use Pit and constantly use his spinning-like-a-wheel move.

If that doesn't shut them up, I just tell them to play ICs and see if they think just by playing ICs, they're good. Or I just beat them down with my DK.

It doesn't bug me, and besides, when were people thinking that the ICs were "kewl" in the first place, since many people haven't heard of them? Heck I haven't even heard of them till a year ago. Also there are people like that, just ignore them.

You gotta admit, the ICs moves aren't what you call "awesome". Look at WeeGee moves and look at IC's. Mabye that's why people don't call ICs' moves "cool".

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
The IC's are not bashable at ALL. First of all, they are EXTREMELY hard to use and maintain skill with. I used to main the IC's and spent countless weeks learning their desynches, chaingrabs and grab combos, all of which are very hard to execute in training mode and even harder to execute in a match. I'd like to see these bashers at least TRY to learn the IC's.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
this one guy keeps saying that all they have is their chain grabs and desyncs and that even pro ICs suck. it just gets on my last ****ing nerve....

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
This was when I started using Ice CLimbers in melee:

"Dude, I want to main the Ice Climbers."
" Why? They suck hella bad. All they got are those ice blocks..."
"Whatever, I'm still going to main them."

FAST FORWARD TIME MACHINE TO 4 MONTHS AFTER BRAWL COMES OUT...

" What the hell, you beat me again. Stupid chaingrabs..."
" It's not that hard to not get grabbed, your Toon link/Olimar..."
" I hate Ice Climbers."

=)

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I'll say something back to them and tell how good the ICs are. Some people say they don't deserve to be in Brawl. They probably hate the chaingrabbing. They also say they're cheap, what's so cheap about them? Cheap doesn't even exist because it's just for people who complain or lose a lot.

TKD

Smash Lord
Make them remember Metaknight's the broken one, not the Ice Climbers.

Also, Ice Climbers are a great character (in the top 5 IMO), but their game hasn't really evolved enough. I think I'm the most knowlegeable IC main and my gameplay discoveries aren't even near finished. Just today I discovered a whole bunch of stuff.

Rykard

Smash Ace
Make them remember Metaknight's the broken one, not the Ice Climbers.
haha that is so true. people complained about my chaingrabbing at the last tourney i went to and i just said that i could just play [insert top tier character here] like the rest of you but then all id prove is that i have no skill and need the best characters to win

ynnek123

Smash Ace
why does every board say their character is in the top 5? the best cahrs are probably not going to change: MK, Snake, DeDeDe, Wario, and Flaco.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Since I live in Houston and Xyro is extremely biased against IC users (hence why he limited them to only 3 grabs in a row), I deal with getting bashed about using Ice Climbers in the Houston thread all the time xD. Basically, all I have to say is how I started using them at the beggining of Melee, and I didn't know what chain grabs were until Brawl, and I have video proof of that ;) If they try to continue saying stuff like "You probably started using them in Melee only for their chain grabs" then I can just use logic: "Since when is an 8 year old kid going to know about chain grabbing and desyncing?"

Another thing, people can't get mad at me about Ice Climber chain grabs since they're so limited in Houston xD, at the last tournament I went to I only chain grabbed in one match, and that was because it was against a Snake, and I don't like to take my chances against them.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
First there's the infamous "THERE'S TWO OF EM!" john. We've all heard that one. It's more like IC in 1.5 of a character and when you lose Nana, you become 60% of a character. Tell them to gimp Nana. Problem solved.

Then there's the "chaingrabs are cheap and require no skill" johns. Beat them in a match using purely desynch combos. How's THAT for skill? XD That's what I did.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Dysynch. Side-B string them into oblivion (or until they are smart enough to get out of it) grab, dthrow to fair, ice block lock, when they get up, grab and chaingrab (if they are a heavier character or snake) lol

Then ask them if your being to cheap for them. :D especially if they are Snake...

AMR

Smash Rookie
I love IC haters.

They are pretty funny.

If anything, tell them to use Icys.

"There are two of 'em!" My favorite. Not our fault Popo can get a ride or die girl and non of the other characters can.

Rykard

Smash Ace
ok so i found this video today of thse 2 players i met in a tournament playing ice climbers and wario in a friendly which will prove a lot of what people say about our character completetly false

many of you have stated "tell them to use ice climbers" and people saying "the chaingrabs are so easy," well, this is what it looks like when someone who bashes my ice climbers, plays as ice climbers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcxKyLdF18&feature=related

feel free to comment on his godly skill

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I dunno. Ice Climbers are one of my favorites, but I don't like to do the chaingrabs and desyncing all that often, I just try to play them more like a normal player. And I'd say Popo alone isn't too horrible to play, aside from his horrible recovery.

To be honest, I had heard of IC chaingrabs before I had actually seen them done, and I went to training mode to try it out myself. I started out by doing some ridiculously complicated thing that I couldn't pull off, and then I found out you can simply walk while Down throwing them...that one was kinda easy to learn. I understand how it can be frustrating to be grabbed from ZERO TO DEATH, but on the other hand, the more complicated chain grabs are pretty easy to screw up, and it can depend on the stage too.

I see no real reason to bash Ice Climbers. >_>

@Rykard: That video confused me. It just seemed like two fairly decent players playing o_O

Rykard

Smash Ace
dont get me wrong they are good players, just to me it looked like he had no idea really how to use ice climbers the way they should be

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
I dont think their underestimated. The skill needed to play with them is high compared to other characters. But when people see them in action they are amazed. IMO I think Luigi and Mario are looked upon like that

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
i just wanted to share that through the nature of IC play i have completely removed my friend's will to play. he tried EVERY "cheap" strategy he could think of and i would just 0-death him for every stock. we were playing free for all so it was even more humiliating.

after an attempt with pikachu, pit, fox, and zelda, he threw down his controller and quit for good. i was overjoyed to know that i had that power lol.
:D

Hit973

Smash Cadet
I don't think my friends have ever bashed the IC's, they know all too well about the grabs and are more scared of them than anything. They don't complain about the grabs either though since it's easy to separate nana. I don't understand why there's a whole issue over the grabs because of that...

Top Bottom