• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you appreciate most in Ultimate?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
(If this thread already exists, please close it.)

It seems like the community is heavily divided between people who are happy and satisfied with the turnout of the game, versus those who are unsatisfied with Ultimate and the dwindling few to this day who are still claiming the game is a port. A lot of threads posts days have been rants or complaints about someone's favorite character(s) not being fighters, or the way the game has been organized, etc. To take a break from all of that, let's take time to appreciate some of the amazing new features and fighters in Smash Ultimate. What do you appreciate most?

-Personally, I love that everyone has returned, especially Wolf, and I love how Sakurai is beginning to move against the ebb of character popularity and is more open to new ideas. I am going to enjoy the new Squad Strike and Smashdown modes, since it benefits me for being good with lots of fighters. Having over 100 stages is also amazing! And some of my favorite songs, such as Moonstruck Blossom and CROWNED, have made it in! There's so much to appreciate in this game!

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Every character returning and almost every stage returning. You could drop every other mode in this game and still consider it “ultimate”.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Wolf returning. Wario and Mewtwo staying in the roster. Simon Belmont being playable. Mii still in game. Ken finally joining Ryu.

So many new stages and music.

How can i even be disappointed? I play this game to battle my friends, not do single player modes. The only things that would suck is laggy or broken balance or sucky controls.

R O F L

Smash Ace
What I appreciate the most is every stage being redone in HD. Smash 4's ported stages made it the ugliest first-party Wii U game. I'm happy that everything actually looks good in comparison to the fighters.

Other than that, everything is great. I was disappointed with the lack of trophies at first, but after seeing Spirits mode in more detail, I'm actually happy they replaced trophies with spirits.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
The huge selection of characters and stages(which are all available for 8 player mode) are what I truly appreciate the most. It will keep me occupied for years to come.

Last edited:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Being able to engage in 8 player smashes again, as to me, the more chaotic, the more fun it is! 8 players, all items, all stages, all hazards, all characters GO! =D

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
No cuts and Castlevania love.

I actually apreciate a lot the new bosses... and apreciate tenfold more than Ridley isn't one of them.

And i kinda apreciate the ATs, even if a lot of characters i wanted ended as one.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
  • All my Smash 4 faves (most importantly :ultzss: and :ultmiifighters:) + :ultsnake: are all back.
  • They're giving :ultrobin: a bar to indicate their item durabilities, so maybe I'll actually like playing them this time despite not caring for the gimmick.
  • :ultshulk:'s arts look like they're going to be easier to pick from this time around.
  • Non-:ultmiifighters: custom moves are dead
  • :ultpalutena: might've been buffed!
  • The Echo Fighter distinction making it so that I (at least in theory) never have to hear people complain about Lucina ever the **** again.
  • All the stages are 8-player compatible.
  • Fountain of Dreams is back.
  • Music is series-based instead of stage-based. Nice...?
  • A significant Singleplayer mode has been added (although I do worry it could go full Melee event mode and be a load of bull****)
  • Stamina Mode has been normalized (no more relying on Special Smash to play it!)
  • Rulesets being saved (hopefully we'll be able to save multiple configurations)
  • Multiple Language Options, Squad Strike, Smash Meter and Stage Morph look like they'll be fun to look into.
  • Literally the only thing I personally feel is truly "missing" is a Stage Builder, and there's rumors of that getting patched in.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
1. The number of characters
2. The number of stages
3. the updates on gameplay
4. Spirits and Classic mode that looks great
5. The options and quality of life improvements that were finally implemented in the game
6. The updates on graphics, visual style
7. The soundtrack

the only things that are not so great are:

8. Lack of singleplayer mode with side scrolling gameplay
9. Some missing little modes from previous games that could be here too (but that can maybe be in the game with DLCs)
10. Lack of a complete (Mario Maker/ Little Big Planet level) stage builder system with possibility to share the created stages (I say complete because if it's just the regular stage builder from the WiiU game, it can really be out of the game that I coudln't care less), but it can also be in the game with a DLC

Anyway, I dont think that points 9 and 10 are crucial to the game, because I see stage builder as a bonus feature (or you have seen stage builders in any other fighting game out there?), and half of the small modes like Home Run Contest, Target Blast are so boring and most people just test it some times and never more. The only relevant mini mode that previous games had is Break the targets, that was fun, but again, not so crucial.
The only thing that is big and is not in the game is a singleplayer side scrolling gameplay, that is also not what any other fighing game offer, but Smash could try to improve what it did in Subspace Emissary. But we already have a very complete game, and we can always hope for the future. In the future, will be nice to have something different to expect in a new Smash or in DLCs.

Last edited:

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
  • EVERYONE IS HERE.
  • Nearly EVERYWHERE IS HERE. And they all look amazing.
  • Most of the newcomers being either huge fan requests (:ultridley:,:ultkrool:, etc.) or characters I personally like (:ultincineroar:, :ultchrom:, etc.)
  • The aesthetic/artstyle.
  • The various QoL improvements (:ultrobin:'s Durability bar, :ultcloud:'s limit gauge being visible at all times, etc.)
  • What seems to be an absolute monster of a singleplayer campaign.
  • The music.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I've said this before, but I don't mind saying it again—I'm grateful to have another chance to play as :ultrobin:. I honestly expected Chrom to get in over him back in Smash 4, with Robin taking on a similar role to Pokemon Trainer, where he sits on the sidelines and "commands" the playable fighter. Ever since I played Awakening back in 2013, he's been my favorite character ever since.

On a side note, I see some of you mentioning Robin's durability points being viewable. I've never really had a problem with them. Once you get a general idea of how much durability points each of his weapons have, it's only a matter of keeping track and observing whether or not the weapon is blinking. In a sense, it's sort of like how you have to manage your weapon durability in most Fire Emblem games. Just thought I'd share my two cents on the matter.

Anyway, in order to further differentiate this post from another, I'm going to add a couple of more things I appreciate in Ultimate.

• I appreciate that nobody got cut. Smash Bros. is about playing as your favorite Nintendo character and fighting other Nintendo characters, so characters getting cut from an installment wouldn't live up to that legacy.
    • That said, I appreciate that popular and well-requested characters got their time to shine in this game. Even if I don't care for some of them, that shouldn't really matter since other people are absolutely thrilled to get to play as them.
  • I appreciate Spirits replacing Trophies. Although I'm not too big of a fan on its singleplayer campaign, the fact that they go above and beyond to pay homage to videogame characters that aren't fighters or Assist Trophies, is pretty generous.
  • I appreciate Sakurai and Nintendo trying their best to make this game as competitive as possible, while also remembering not to neglect the casual side of the community as well. Best of both worlds!
    • I also appreciate them acknowledging feedback and making changes based on them. Overall gameplay, online experience, etc.
  • I appreciate the short timespan between Ultimate's initial announcement and its release. Smash fans aren't exactly known for their patience...
  • Overall, I appreciate how much hard work was put into this game. You can see that they do their best to please their fans.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Donkey Kong series FINALLY getting the respect it's always deserved in Smash since Melee.

- :ultkrool: getting in finally. Looking to be mid-top tier and the best heavyweight in the game. Not to mention sticking so close to the character/personality Rare developed back in 1999. Also love the redesign of mixing Rare and Paon's designs together as well as incorporating real crocodile features to him (scales, voice, Osteoderm).

- Snakey Chantey, Crocodile Cacaphony, and Gangplank Galleon all getting AMAZING remixes. Not to mention a bigger selection of music outside of just 600 Jungle Hijinx remixes

-DK getting it's first ever assist trophy in Smash with Klaptrap.

-The vast amount of classic DKC spirits. From Dixie all the way to Ellie the Elephant, Swanky Kong, and Chunky Kong.

-Dixie Kong Mii hat even though I wish she was playable if this is our "consolation prize" I'll be happy cause at least we got K.Rool.

Yeah of course their could always be a few more improvements like a playable Dixie Kong, a non-generic jungle stage, and a few more music rips from Tropical Freeze. But for the most part as a DK fan I can at least say for the first time ever in Smash history I'm finally at the very least happy about how Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise of all time is being represented in Smash.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
There's just so much. Too much, really. I've always felt like each Smash game was lacking in stage variety not to mention stage options. This game is fixing both of those issues right up. It is just baffling how many stages I will inevitably love and play on often.

I'm glad they brought everyone back, and like others have said, Wolf might be my favorite of the cut bunch because he's always played like a feral, unhinged variant of Fox, and I love that. He was extremely underappreciated in Brawl with many calling him just another worthless Fox clone, and it's so great to have him back. Plus he's just a great villain and character in general.

If not Wolf, then Ivysaur is the cut veteran I'm looking forward to most. She was our very first bipedal fighter, and now she's back! She was always my favorite of the PT trio.

Squad Strike. Smashdown. I honestly don't know how often I'll be using these modes, but I'm so glad they're in the game.

Classic Mode and World of Light look wonderful. As the only single player content in the game, I hope they hold up--particularly World of Light as that's meant to combine Adventure Mode, Event Matches, and Trophies all into one package, and that's quite the legacy to uphold. But I have faith in it.

King K ****in ROOL BABYYY HE'S BACK ALL YOU LOSERS WHO SAID HE WAS IRRELEVANT AND LACKED MOVESET POTENTIAL SUCK IIIIIIIT

The graphics look creamy and I like them.

Yeah of course their could always be a few more improvements like a playable Dixie Kong, a non-generic jungle stage, and a few more music rips from Tropical Freeze. But for the most part as a DK fan I can at least say for the first time ever in Smash history I'm finally at the very least happy about how Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise of all time is being represented in Smash.
Hear hear, Donkey Kong content still isn't complete and that's a little frustrating, but I really appreciate the effort made in Ultimate compared to Smash 4 which had...nothing. I think someday we'll get proper representation.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I appreciate the time and dedication Sakurai and his team have spent trying to make SSBU enjoyable for everyone. I can't imagine how difficult it could be negotiating with other companies in hopes of bringing everyone back, as well as including new faces.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I appreciate the concept of Spirit Matches, the amount of new Assists, Pokeballs and Mii outfits as well as Isabelle, Chrom, Piranha Plant and the new Splatoon stuff.

Glad DK finally got an assist even if I'm weirded out it isn't Rambi. Genuine shock.

Didn't exactly get many of my most wanted(Isabelle and Inkling) but unlike previous Smash games there's no newcomer I actively dislike, which is a big plus.

Stage morph is a cool idea too.

What Ganon's Up To

Smash Cadet
Many things, but mainly World of Light, Ganondorf changes, and having Pokémon Trainer back (this post was made by Ivysaur Gang :ivysaur:).

So many little details to get excited about too, like Piranha Plant having the poison attack from Paper Mario.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Return of all the Classic stages, only missing Metal Cavern.
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultpiranha:
Revamped and creative Classic Mode.
Playable Master Hand

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I like that effort was made to bring the Melee crew over, and make the game as competitive as possible (which contrary to popular belief, does not negatively impact its casual appeal at all). I'm also glad they're not too knee-jerk with drastic balance changes, especially for brand new characters... though I do wish they were more willing to tweak longstanding characters with widely agreed upon problems.

Top Bottom