• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do the Melee Legends think of P:M?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
The gist of what Mango said in the Evo interview/the AMA

What do you think about Project M?
"It's fun, but why are they trying to make a game like Melee when we already have Melee?"
If you met Sakurai, what would you say to him?
"I'd ask for a remake of Melee with more stages and two new characters!"

um.

Yeah, I wonder what other guys like PC Chris think.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I don`t know, what do the people who have posted between 10000 and 19999 posts think about Project M?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I don`t know, what do the people who have posted between 10000 and 19999 posts think about Project M?
Personally, I hate it. But what do I know? I'm just PMBR.

Kappa

On a serious note, the potential for PM is extremely enticing and the game is super fun with a bright future ahead of it.I look forward to being here in the long run.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I remember hearing about Mango doing some crazy Wolf shenanigans with the PM dev build way back in the earlier days but his interest has went way down since then.

There are also clips of old school DBR members like Zelgadis playing pre 1.0 PM, but I haven't heard of them doing anything PM related since then.

Armada doesn't own PM, but he says he likes what he's played and he's got an insane Pit.

Mewtwoking is obviously excited for :mewtwopm:

Hax (and PP?) enter tournaments but don't really play.

HBox plays and has a decent Mario (on top of Puff of course).

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
IIRC he moved on after a change he didn't like happened.

I get the feeling that someone's true colors will show in this thread, and it's not me.....

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I don't think too many people should care what ~*MAYLAY L3G3NDS*~ think about this game, because it's not maylay

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
most of them love project M, especially Strong Bad and Mew2king, though Hax and Mango have mixed feelings about it.

D

Deleted member

i'd say that SB has left a permanent mark on the smash community at this point

whatever my opinion is worth

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I have a poster of hax in my room
I have a poster of your room in my room. That poster is a smash legend.

In all seriousness notreally ,the opinions of most of the melee vets will change once Project M is complete. There are certain things that melee has engine wise (shield behavior) that P:M has not emulated yet, and those small things keep some of them away.

BEES

Smash Lord
I feel like that has been said before and the goalposts have been moved several times... ultimately there are some holdouts that are just never going to like it as much. Hey, in order to be that good at anything, you have to be a bit obsessive. I can understand.

I'm pretty crap at Melee compared to these people, but I am that obsessive about another game... chess. Could you invent a better game than chess? Absolutely. Wouldn't be hard either. Add some new pieces, make the board a bit larger, and suddenly you have an even deeper game with even more longevity. But I probably wouldn't play it, because I've committed so much of my time to chess as it is. Some of my skills might transfer into the new game, but to a large extent (especially with all the openings I committed to memory) they would be useless and I'd be starting over.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Could you invent a better game than chess? Absolutely. Wouldn't be hard either.
Am I the only one that finds it completely stupid that a pawn could be promoted to be a queen? Aside from the questionable meaning, it takes away the niches set up by the rook and the bishop.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
You can be what ever you want to be, dont let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do with your life

BEES

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that finds it completely stupid that a pawn could be promoted to be a queen? Aside from the questionable meaning, it takes away the niches set up by the rook and the bishop.
Oh I see, you're saying pawns should promote to bishops, rooks, and knights, but not queens. Endgames are slow and tedious enough, are you sure you want to make them even slower :rotfl:? What you're saying does make sense. Why promote to anything else if you can get a Queen? There are still situations where the other pieces are useful (particularly knights). Occasionally you need a rook to prevent stalemate. Very occasionally a bishop. Sure it might mix things up a bit if you only had rooks to look forward to at the end. At the same time there are beautiful combinations that can occur that hinge on getting a queen so... it's a tradeoff.

I think the main utility of having them become queens is that makes games more decisive. In Chess you may have a steady but small advantage till the end, after a minor mistake from your opponent, but maybe all it adds up to is a pawn race. Your pawn is on one side of the board and theirs is on the other. You promote the pawn just before they do. With a queen, you could stop their pawn and win. With only a rook, the game would be a draw. At high levels there are a lot of draws. Strong players have openings memorized to the Nth move and very often if their opponent is prepared, they might go through a memorized variation and end up with a drawn endgame.

Anyway,

Here's a great and hilarious example that I run into from time to time where promoting to a knight is the best move.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RptrNJFFJJw

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Oh I see, you're saying pawns should promote to bishops, rooks, and knights, but not queens. Endgames are slow and tedious enough, are you sure you want to make them even slower :rotfl:? What you're saying does make sense. Why promote to anything else if you can get a Queen? There are still situations where the other pieces are useful (particularly knights). Occasionally you need a rook to prevent stalemate. Very occasionally a bishop. Sure it might mix things up a bit if you only had rooks to look forward to at the end. At the same time there are beautiful combinations that can occur that hinge on getting a queen so... it's a tradeoff.

I think the main utility of having them become queens is that makes games more decisive. In Chess you may have a steady but small advantage till the end, after a minor mistake from your opponent, but maybe all it adds up to is a pawn race. Your pawn is on one side of the board and theirs is on the other. You promote the pawn just before they do. With a queen, you could stop their pawn and win. With only a rook, the game would be a draw. At high levels there are a lot of draws. Strong players have openings memorized to the Nth move and very often if their opponent is prepared, they might go through a memorized variation and end up with a drawn endgame.

Anyway,

Here's a great and hilarious example that I run into from time to time where promoting to a knight is the best move.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RptrNJFFJJw
Would you like me to make a chess thread in the pool room or would you like to continue this conversation here?

BEES

Smash Lord
Apologies. Got carried away.

But yeah, I think Project M is already ever-so-slightly better than Melee, and 3.0 will further expand on that. Sacrilegious opinion to have, I know, but there it is. My question to anyone who disagrees: what would it take to make this game as good as Melee in your eyes, while keeping it a different game?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Apologies. Got carried away.

But yeah, I think Project M is already ever-so-slightly better than Melee, and 3.0 will further expand on that. Sacrilegious opinion to have, I know, but there it is. My question to anyone who disagrees: what would it take to make this game as good as Melee in your eyes, while keeping it a different game?
Take out every character that wasn`t in melee, add in every character that was in melee, replace the brawl graphics and sound with the melee graphics and sound, revert all characters back to there melee stats and movesets, take out all the new stages and put in all the melee stages, add a adventure mode, make the shield more like melee, and rename the game Melee......... BCUZ MELEE!!!!

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Im also curious about their opinions about PM. I see some Melee "legends" do play PM when they can and they seem pretty damn good at it since it is rely is a brawl like melee. I think they'd like it more when the final build is released. I currently love it and might love it more than melee. Having the same mechanics from melee with brawl chars and melee chars alike is a wondrous feeling.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I might be a bit naive when saying this, but I think that now that Mewtwo has been announced, Melee is essentially outdated and Project M is superior in pretty much every way. Sure there are little nitpicks in there such as the shield mechanics but even with these incredibly minor problems I fail to see how anyone can consider Melee to hold a candle to PM.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Armada doesn't own PM, but he says he likes what he's played and he's got an insane Pit.

Mewtwoking is obviously excited for :mewtwopm:

Hax (and PP?) enter tournaments but don't really play.

HBox plays and has a decent Mario (on top of Puff of course).
Armada is what you call a casual beast. He can go months without playing and then get back in the swing of the game as if it's no trouble. Although, it's probably do to years of playing smash at the highest level in general. So far he's unbeaten in PM tournaments....what else is new.

Hax and PP both enjoy PM but neither feel like putting time and effort into a game that is for them clearly different for the worse in their view. Unlike Armada both of them have chosen to retain their Melee characters as their mains(nothing wrong with that, considering they are still in the game). However, there are very few people who understand Falcon and Falco the way they do. Yeah, the gameplay may LOOK the same but if you have mastered the characters to their level then you'll notice really small differences that most won't. In fact, those small differences aren't small at all. They are huge differences and it discourages you from wanting to play, especially when there is nothing to gain. As of right now Melee still has everything, It's got the fanbase, historic gaming legacy, compelling cast of current and past greats, money, fame..etc...etc. Right now if you do anything good in PM it's like...good for your...*pat on the head*. It's not worth making the leap if you don't enjoy it and for those 2 players, they will only enjoy PM should it become bigger, or better in terms of it's ability to replicate Melee's engine and more specifically Melee's Falco/Falcon.

There are certain things that melee has engine wise (shield behavior) that P:M has not emulated yet, and those small things keep some of them away.
I think most will agree that brawl's shields are horribad for this style of smash, Also the teching and lack of momentum transfering into techs or whatever you call it...it's just so....bleh. If those remaining issues are solved then I'll likely never play melee again. Even hardcore melee only people will have little left to complain about after that.

I think Project M is already ever-so-slightly better than Melee, and 3.0 will further expand on that. Sacrilegious opinion to have, I know, but there it is. My question to anyone who disagrees: what would it take to make this game as good as Melee in your eyes, while keeping it a different game?
My honest opinion is that...Aside from the game itself getting some more...fine tuning in the manners that I've already discussed. What's left is for the chips to fall. More characters, more stages, new playstyles, new advanced techniques....these are things that were already introduced in brawl and will likely be re-introduced in smash4(which I honestly don't care anything about atm.). So, these things don't automatically make Project M great. they are nice but again Brawl had the same advantages over melee. Nothings against Brawl btw, it had a good run as a competitive game but it's already starting to see it's end while Melee is once again picking up steam. For those of you who haven't already done so I suggest you watch the smash documentary. Then realize that as much as it covers..it's still missing about half of melee's history from start to finish. Melee's worldwide success isn't just do to it's engine and game physics but the players who picked it up. People who were very good...and dared to be great. That's what Project M has really yet to produce. When you see legendary sets like Ken vs Azen or Mango vs Armada you get the sense that so much is was at stake. Project M it feels more like...oh that's cool, it's kinda like melee, oh look it's a new trick, wow that was pretty cool. Again, not bad....but it lacks in the drama department.

So, my advice for anyone who really wants to see this game succeed...I suggest that you start competing, pushing yourself and your friends to be better today than you were yesterday. I'm not suggesting that you stop having fun, I'm suggesting that you make continued improvement a part of your fun. If/when you show up to tournaments show up with a fire, a passion If you are down a stock or 2 don't just let the game end in defeat, fight hard, do something amazing, do something that everyone will remember and something that will get the smash world buzzing. This isn't just the start of a new smash game. Project M has the chance to be create it's own legacy and you could very well be a big part of it. With that in mind...don't be sadisfied with being ok or even being good. Dare to be great, Dare to be bolder and better than every other player in that venue. If players carry that mindset then Project M's future will be just fine regardless of rather or not it ever perfectly replicates melee's engine.

I might be a bit naive when saying this, but I think that now that Mewtwo has been announced, Melee is essentially outdated and Project M is superior in pretty much every way. Sure there are little nitpicks in there such as the shield mechanics but even with these incredibly minor problems I fail to see how anyone can consider Melee to hold a candle to PM.
there is nothing wrong with this...considering that it's your opinion...but why after mewtwo is melee essentialy outdated? As for everything else you mentioned...well read my posts above. As for holding a candle to melee....well, that's again for everyone else to decide. So far melee is still the main event and PM is like a pre-show. This may change but as of right now Project M still displays like an undercard showing while Melee still main events...possible a repeat to Evo in 2014....so...from 2003-2013 Melee's got stacks on stack on stacks of accomplishments and memorable events. it's a BIG candle....

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
That was obvious as hell, mewtwo wants him too. Oh and does that mean m2k will be joining the pm crew in melee legends vs pm tops or whatever that was? Yay m2k 4ever

Top Bottom