• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do I need to Know?

hipponox

Smash Rookie
Since playing Falcon in Brawl is a bad idea apparently, ive decided i want to main him in melee (I NEED TO PLAY HIM). Im really new to the competitive smash scene and i just want to know any info anyone can post. any help would be greatly appreciated. :) any tips or anything at all...

Halloween

Smash Cadet
Work on teching. Thats a pretty big part in falcon play. Learn how to dash dance, wave dash, short hop, fast fall ,and L cancel. Watch videos of good falcons and try to go off how they play. Also grab game is big with falcon. Learn to grab, and follow up with a tech chase. Remember to practice against a human too. Computers are just bad.

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
Tech, L-cancel, and DI. I can not stress how important DI is. is you learn to tech and DI, then it'll improve your ability to stay alive, which is not so easy with falcon

hipponox

Smash Rookie
WOW!!!! thanks alot for that video tdk samurai!!!! ill prob look at those like everyday!! : )

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I recommend playing against actual people as much as possible, and getting off of practicing against cpus as soon as possible. Yes, tech is very important to learn, and will form the basis of your game, but it's just as important, if not a little more so, to learn how to read, predict, and follow up on people. Cpus can't teach you that, and will give you bad habits in how to read people.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
thats why you recognize that you aren't trying to predict CPUs. Playing against CPUs help me learn me spacing personally, one day I just practiced dthrow > stomp on fox just to get the spacing down and how far I had to move, and then I took that to playing actuall people and if I guessed them to tech straight or not tech I would land the stomp every time.

maybe I'm wrong though, idk, but I def agree that playing people is better

D

Deleted member

It's good to build fundamentals with other people and also with CPUs in a way

learning the distance of tech rolls, or standard rolls when grounded for each character and knowing how to punish each is important

For example, Fox/Falco has a short tech roll while Shiek/Falcon has long ones

Jigglypuff that is grounded and then rolls stops slightly before rolling a very short distance

I neglected this from my game when I was a noob and while I can predict a Shiek is going to roll a certain way I failed to actually capitalize

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I think Tech chasing is very good with Falcon, Uthrow and Dthrow is best, U can Uthrow jab>grab and repeat.
I think they can tech this before u get the jab in though, but I do it sometimes, it helps.Also, I personally think that Nair SHFFLS are very underated.

SDR

Smash Rookie
I recommend playing against actual people as much as possible, and getting off of practicing against cpus as soon as possible. Yes, tech is very important to learn, and will form the basis of your game, but it's just as important, if not a little more so, to learn how to read, predict, and follow up on people. Cpus can't teach you that, and will give you bad habits in how to read people.
* Yea with cpu's you can't predict, but with humans (even if they are a noob) they at least mix up things rather than cpu's that just walk into your attacks * ;)

Top Bottom