• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did you sacrifice for Lent??

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Lent? You give up something you like for a week or something to get closer to God by removing distractions.

I dont think I've ever done it, or at least I've never called it Lent.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
commonyoshi said:
Lent? You give up something you like for a week or something to get closer to God by removing distractions.

I dont think I've ever done it, or at least I've never called it Lent.
If by a week you mean 40 days then you're right. Lent is the period from Ash Wednesday (this past Wednesday) to Easter.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's a Catholic season where people give up candy and such to symbolize Jesus' sacrifice of not eating or drinking in the desert for 40 days. Because you know, not eating kit-kats = not eating or drinking for 40 days in a desert.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Yeah I understand now. We have that also here in the Netherlands, only almost noone cares about it anymore. Also, instead of not eating the treats you're getting, you can keep them untill the 40 days are over and after that you can eat everything that you collected -_-'.

Though, most of it is uneatable, but you can break windows with it.

zulook said:
Umm...

Please tell me you're joking
Please tell me that you're not one of these types:

Dibs

Smash Lord
It is true though kit kats don't equal not eating or drinking...

And I gave up Profanity and Meat.. I failed yesterday while in morning traffic.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Ohoho Chozen, you sure have us pegged.

Because God knows disagreeing with an institution -- around a point of logical fallacy that makes a mockery of what it is supposed to represent, no less -- is the same as hating everything and being hell-bent on being offensive.

Are you a psychologist?

And on topic, nothing 'tall, because I am not religious.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Ohoho Chozen, you sure have us pegged.

Because God knows disagreeing with an institution -- around a point of logical fallacy that makes a mockery of what it is supposed to represent, no less -- is the same as hating everything and being hell-bent on being offensive.

Are you a psychologist?
Are You.. i seem to recall you in the eariler days of SWF when you were far less the respected poster than you are today..

ex-

hey evil eye please dont double post again. just edit your original post or wait for someone to reply. I dont care what avatar you choose, the mushroom looks cool. But dont expect me to look specificall for another one for you. I go in spurts and add about 10 avatars every now and then, so you will just have to wait until my next avatar update...
+Taken from--> http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=5532

Don't worry good sir, there are many more where that came from...

Props on trying to be original, and being a whiny.. well you know where this is going....

As much as everyone thinks they have figured out about life, and about idea, and concepts very few people on these boards have the experience to really voice their opinion at all. I have no problem w/ you saying that Lent is "wrong, or stupid" but calling it a mockery is straight up blashphemy. Please do not insult my religous affiliation, or anyone else's for that matter. Your opinion is respected, when you respect the values and ideas of those whom you are judging. Respect is earned, not given.. perhaps someday you will impress me enough to Earn MY respect.

Good Day Sir.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Religious debate?!?!?!!?!? EVERYONE GET OUT IT'S GONNA GET LOCKED BLOW!

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
Lets not go bringing up old posts from our past. I know each of us have some we wish we never posted. I see where this thread is going.

Quick batman! Give me a sentence to put this topic back on track!

I gave up fat Tuesdays for ash Wednesdays.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I love ChozenOne's cockiness and the fact that he quoted something from 6 years ago and has failed to realize that people have the ability to change over the course of a single year alone.

Regardless, something like, I forget what it is called... oh yeah, freedom of speach comes to mind. And if that doesn't do it for you, how about God's gift of free will?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Are You.. i seem to recall you in the eariler days of SWF when you were far less the respected poster than you are today..

ex-

Props on trying to be original, and being a whiny.. well you know where this is going....

As much as everyone thinks they have figured out about life, and about idea, and concepts very few people on these boards have the experience to really voice their opinion at all. I have no problem w/ you saying that Lent is "wrong, or stupid" but calling it a mockery is straight up blashphemy. Please do not insult my religous affiliation, or anyone else's for that matter. Your opinion is respected, when you respect the values and ideas of those whom you are judging. Respect is earned, not given.. perhaps someday you will impress me enough to Earn MY respect.

Good Day Sir.
Haha, I like how you think your opinion is the only opinion allowed. Lent is a mockery if you are honoring Christ through it. Unless you fast for 40 days completely, then you are just mocking his much larger sacrifice by saying smoking equates his giving up food and all. I like how when EE used a logical, rational argument you had to go for a personal attack because you didn't have a leg to stand on.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer

Oh my God! EE double posted when he was thirteen years old!

Wow, you are so cool, ChozenOne. You've totally won this arguement.

EDIT: And I like how you accuse EE of blashphemey when he's not even religious. Why should he care if he blashphemes?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm not religious... so why would I?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Note: I dont have the vocabulary to comprehend EE's post.
I have no problem w/ you saying that Lent is "wrong, or stupid" but calling it a mockery is straight up blashphemy. Please do not insult my religous affiliation, or anyone else's for that matter.
Well, think about it this way. The Easter Bunny and children scrambling around for chocolate could be considered a mockery of Christ's rising, Santa Clause and Christmas greed could be a mockery of His birth, and people thinking they're all pious and holy after giving up TV for a while can also be thought of as a mockery to Christ's fasting. To you, Lent could be a significant time for you in your faith, but you cant think that there aren't people who practice it, a majority I'd guess, who dont take it seriously, and by not taking it seriously, they've actually made a joke out of it. So yes, Lent can be a mockery.

I didn't want to gang up on you like this. I say Lent can be a good thing, but too many people do it because it's what everyone else in the church does. Dont do it if you dont mean it.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
Lent isn't necessarily catholic <_>

you should give up something unnecessary that takes up a lot of your daily time, such as the internet or smash, and use that time to pray, meditate, read the Bible, etc. but most people give something up and find a way to get around it, like replacing their mp3 player and listening to music on the computer. or giving up candy and eating ice cream. -_-.

"Lent is a mockery if you are honoring Christ through it. Unless you fast for 40 days completely, then you are just mocking his much larger sacrifice by saying smoking equates his giving up food and all"

that's not the point of lent. :( we're not trying to level to Christ's standards, that's impossible. removing a big earthly distraction from my life to focus more on my relationship with God never occurred to me as mockery of Christ

andddddd how i'm posting about lent? I'm really not trying to offend anyone who has different beliefs from me. to each his own. i think everyone on the boards is mature enough to respect others :/ we've all gone through puberty by now, right?

<3 <3 yay let's not argue tyyy!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Lent is a mockery if you are honoring Christ through it.
I wouldn't say that it is; that is to say that trying to honor any one with out doing exactly what the did to gain your adoration is mocking them. Simply abstaining from something, namely a vice, just to show appreciation to your idol is not mockery; you are not disappointing the hopes of Christ by showing self sacrifice unless your sacrifice is intentionally futile or virtuous.

And as for what I gave up, I gave up meat. And with my roommates parents coming into town today and cooking tempoora chicken, it was very difficult.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
And I gave up Profanity and Meat.. I failed yesterday while in morning traffic.
You ate chicken while in the car? Shame on you! I gave up eating babies and making love with random people/animals/things/and thoughts.

Sigh....everything is a sin according to catholics.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Why is every mod on SWF extremely offensive, and bitter...
Every catholic I've ever met is offensive and bitter. True story. I know they all aren't. It's just that the few that I've met are *****.

And the reason they're offensive and bitter is because they have to deal with idiots all day.

I'm not Catholic. I didn't even know what Lent was in it's entirety.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Every catholic I've ever met is offensive and bitter. True story. I know they all aren't. It's just that the few that I've met are *****.
Yes.. I am evil!! Mwahahahaha... but seriously what you said is true, probably because we feel we are FORCED to do something(Lent is a perfect example). We also are in need of a Vatican 3.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
LOOOOOOOOOL sad that i know what shark02 is referring to. yes, i watched yu-gi-oh on WB kids after school. but that was 9th grade. this is now

good **** d:

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Due to aim conversations, I switched what I gave up. I am now giving up Weeaboo.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
*Waits 'till Matt's around to say "Weeaboo"*

I never gave up anything for Lent, and I'm not going to start now, especially since I've removed myself from the Christian/Catholic population of the planet.

I was at a smashfest yesterday and a group of us were having a huge discussion/debate/argument on religion and such (basically Christianity/religion vs. atheism). It got pretty intense, particularly when the main representative of the Christians condescendingly talked down to me after I stated my belief in the big bang theory, creation of life and evolution. It was roughly 2 in the morning so I didn't exactly have my argumentative A-game and was only able to look at him as shocked and offended as I could.

It wasn't the fact that he didn't believe in it that I didn't like, it was that he was being so condescending about it and actually insulting the theories.

Top Bottom